PDA

View Full Version : Stop spoiling everything!

Pumpkin
01-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Can you often tell when and what plot twists there are in movies/TV shows/video games/books and the like? Do you like being able to tell?

I'm not very good at it, but I'm okay with that because I get more of the experience of being surprised, as was intended. Sharky is a beast at knowing plot twists and spoilers. I've tried playing games or watching movies or TV shows with plot twists and he almost always guesses within like the first half hour. If its a short show it takes him all of two minutes.

He guessed who Gossip Girl was after seeing like 3 episodes. It's so hard to catch him off guard with a plot twist :stare:

Cuchulainn
01-09-2014, 05:12 PM
I have gotten wrong...EVERY anticipated plot twist of anything I've ever watched. I am fucking terrible at predicting where shit is going on a show.

You'd think that fact would make me come to the realisation that it's a pointless game I play wouldn't you? Nope. I still plough away like a dick predicting all kinds of shite that never fucking happens.

Shorty
01-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm good at this with movies, not so good at this with TV shows. I feel like shows have so much more room and freedom to drag something out and toy with you and to be more ambiguous with their events and ongoings, whereas movies pretty much have formulas and a specific timeframe they need to adhere to in order to squeeze a mountain of trout into, which only allows for certain possibilities. It's rare these days that I get blindsided or mindsmurfed, which is sad because those are the kinds of movies I love to watch. :(

I love coming up with a world of possibilities and speculations with other fans of shows, though. That's half the fun of watching a show! I love predicting.

Sephiroth
01-09-2014, 05:31 PM
I am a Detective Conan fan and very often notice who the killer is.

Parker
01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
I don't try seeking out the twist, and I find it kinda annoying when someone leans over and whispers "she's the killer" or whatever in my ear. It doesn't bug me that much because I guess other people enjoy working things out. Sometimes the twist or plot is blindingly obvious but I don't mind knowing the end of the movie or show before it happens if the movie or show is entertaining enough.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-09-2014, 05:36 PM
I feel like I'm good at predicting stuff if I want to be. I usually never do it in movies though, my predictions are usually made while watching tv shows or reading a series of books.

This is mainly because I just get so enchanted by whatever world I'm reading/watching about that I'm not really thinking about what happens next. So in movies, I don't really think about stuff until after the movie, in which case I'm just trying to gather in my mind what happened, not what happens next since most of the movies I watch are stand alone or based on books that I've already read.

Book series and tv shows though, I'm thinking and trying to figure out what comes next as soon as I put down the book or an episode/season ends. I have a lot of fun with doing this. Unfortunately, I usually am catching a book or series after it's been out for a while and have no one to discuss theories with.

Loony BoB
01-09-2014, 05:51 PM
If people do this in movies I will hate them. TV shows I don't mind people guessing nearly as much.

I'm alright at it. Like Sarah, I'm probably better at picking them out for movies. I'm not bad with episodic TV shows, though, like the old Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. But for things like Lost, no way will I figure most of that stuff out.

I try not to go out of my way to guess things, though, because I like feeling the intended surprise of a twist. It adds to the entertainment value.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Sometimes it's a curse. It kinda took away from Ender's Game.

I don't guess everything correctly. I'm still not sure who's going to screw you over in Suikoden V. I'm predicting Sialeeds or Lym, because they're both family, and they both see pretty loyal right now. That makes for a good surprise.

Lym seems to really dislike conflict, so she might agree to go along with Gizel because she's weak willed and he might convince her siding with him will stop the violence more quickly. >__>

Sialeeds acts like she's attached to her family, but she's given up a lot (fiance/marriage/a chance at children) to stop bloodshed in the past. Maybe she'll do something unexpected to try and stop it again. Plus there was that meeting with Gizel at the beginning of the game. >__>

Sephex
01-09-2014, 07:56 PM
OH CRAP IT SPILLED SORRY

-4VNJoYqFQU

Shauna
01-09-2014, 09:40 PM
I am not great at predicting the twist in things, but I do enjoy just throwing my thoughts and guesses out there when watching stuff. The more out there it all is, the better.

Minami
01-09-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm pretty good at seeing the twists and stuff in stories. Most of the time it's just so very obvious. Like in the first Saw movie :/

Bubba
01-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Pretty much every film that contains a twist ending has been spoiled for me by some cretin or another.

On the rare occasion I've been permitted a guess though, I'm usually spot on. I called the twist in Shutter Island about halfway through. Also, just started watching Dexter and called the ice truck killer pretty much as soon as I saw the creepy twat.

Jiro
01-10-2014, 03:21 AM
I'm pretty good at figuring things out. Only pretty good. I get things wrong from time to time, or don't see them coming at all. I try to keep them to myself because being entirely surprised is a nice feeling and I don't want to rob people of that. But not being able to confidently say "CALLED IT" is a struggle :(

Freya
01-10-2014, 04:02 AM
I'm really good at it. During a movie, like we were just watching the new hansel and gretel and I as like "I bet they ______" in the first 3 minutes xD Boyfriend was like "what the hell" after it was revealed. Accused me of spoiling myself prior. I like stories. I like mysteries. I like twists. So I guess them fairly easily. I don't trust anything so I guess pretty well.

SHION IS GOING AROUND SPOILING WHO IS GOSSIP GIRL THAT EVIL GIRL.

Pumpkin
01-10-2014, 04:04 AM
I never spoiled it :colbert:

I'm just rubbing it in your face that I know and you don't.

Even sharky knows, Kaycee. And he doesn't even like Gossip Girl. You think about that.

escobert
01-10-2014, 04:12 AM
sometimes I guess right, most of the time I get it wrong or am partially right.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-10-2014, 04:17 AM
Y'know... I've never really cared about the whole fiasco of 'spoiling' things. I mean I'll keep my lips sealed if the person I'm talking to doesn't like having the story spoiled but it never, EVER bothered me.
Why?
Because I'm like my mother... when I pick up a book, I skim through the first few pages, somewhere in the middle, then the ending, to determine the quality of the book and whether or not I want to read it. I determine its quality on the flow of the character/environment interaction, scenarios, buildup hints, and quality of writing in general. (This is how I knew not to pick up Twilight months before it exploded in popularity. Upon discovering how loved it was, I had to go back and actually read it just to see what the fuss was-- I have to say it was HILARIOUS throughout).

I do the same with long tv series; I don't usually like to pick up brand new shows unless they're just kinda slapstick lighthearted stuff where nothing really matters (Space Dandy is one of these things) so that I can have the freedom to 'skim' through the first episode, a middle episode, and the ending to determine its value. Games are KIND of the same way. I actually have to watch someone else play its and pieces of a game on youtube before I decide upon my purchase. The most important thing to me is the Final Boss Battle. I do not like to be disappointed.

I don't do this with movies, though. No real point.

As it is, if someone 'spoils' something for me, I generally don't care. If it's something like a plot-twist or a fact about the story that's genuinely upsetting or disappointing, I consider it to be a warning to keep in mind for once I get to that point in the story. Like 'they unnecessarily killed off so-and-so and it really disappoints me'.
That, for me, is good to know ahead of time... because the last time a series unexpectedly killed off a character I liked, I DROPPED IT COMPLETELY and never went back. I like to know if a storyline is going to unexpectedly take a turn for the worst or something really sad so I'm not a bawling mess.

Maybe I just don't like mysteries?
I especially don't like blood-baths for stories. Those are never fun for me.

Carl the Llama
01-10-2014, 04:36 AM
I once watched a Poirot and guessed the Murderer within 2 minutes of watching the show, but it was pure luck lol

Ayen
01-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Some times. I guessed a plot twist during Doctor Who and Final Fantasy VIII and I was pretty proud of it since I don't do it much. One time I made a joke playing SmackDown vs. RAW 2008 about what I thought was going to happen and then... it happened.