PDA

View Full Version : Computer Stuttering.

Tasura
01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Right then, so my other computer seems to have a stuttering problem, as in it lags/skips every few seconds, regardless of what i'm doing, whether it be staring ay my background or playing a game. I've googled, but none of the results have been fruitful, and no it isn't a virus/spyware/malware or any of that jazz, that was the first thing I looked for, and it isn't overheating because it stutters from the get-go.

So, you smart people, any ideas on cause/solutions?

Edit: Side note, I have 99% of On start applications disabled, and all non-important services disabled as well. And it's an Asus something-or-other running Windows 7.

Flying Mullet
01-10-2014, 02:10 PM
When you say stutter, is it the display/monitor that is stuttering? Meaning that the screen freezes for a split second every few seconds, even when moving your mouse across the desktop?

Tasura
01-10-2014, 02:21 PM
When you say stutter, is it the display/monitor that is stuttering? Meaning that the screen freezes for a split second every few seconds, even when moving your mouse across the desktop?

Exactly that, yes.

Spuuky
01-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Open an elevated command prompt (type "cmd" in the search/run bar, right click on the result when it comes up, and choose "Run as Administrator"). On the command prompt, type "chkdsk /F" ... most likely, it will tell you it needs to reboot to run and schedule it for the next reboot. Reboot, let it run, report the results.

It seems like it has to be a problem reading from something. So step one is to check the disks, step two is going to be to check the RAM.

Possibly, we're going to have to start disabling devices/drivers. Does it do the same thing running in "Safe Mode"?

Flying Mullet
01-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Have you added a new monitor or changed any display settings? If you've increased the amount of display your computer has to push out it can start to lag as it can't meet the necessary display refresh rates.

Tasura
01-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Have you added a new monitor or changed any display settings? If you've increased the amount of display your computer has to push out it can start to lag as it can't meet the necessary display refresh rates.

And apparently Mullet saves the day, dropping my monitor from 60 to 59 hertz fixed 99% of the stutter.