PDA

View Full Version : Vita Game Recommendations

Del Murder
01-10-2014, 06:53 PM
In a bit of a surprise, I got a Vita for Christmas. :peachdance: I'm unsure what games to get for it. I do know it has that awesome feature that it can remotely play any PS4 game, but alas I don't yet own a PS4. Some day! Until then what Vita games are good? Currently I have:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Retro City Rampage
The Walking Dead (came with the console but I already played it on PS3, is there any diffference in the Vita version?)

Also what other cool things can I use my Vita for?

Spuuky
01-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Persona 4 Golden, and you're welcome.

Shauna
01-10-2014, 07:07 PM
I think that covers it, tbh.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Gravity Rush was one of my favorite games I played last year. It would be worth looking into.

Del Murder
01-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Persona 4 Golden, and you're welcome.
My first and only Persona experience was with P3P and I didn't really like it much. :aimmad: I'm not big on dungeon crawlers or building up my 'social network' (which was most of the game), though I did like collecting personas. Is this one any different?

Mirage
01-10-2014, 07:42 PM
it's not that dungeon crawly is it?

Del Murder
01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Well I don't know about the other Persona games, but P3P was basically climbing one gigantic tower with floors that looked mostly the same and had nothing but enemies and randomly generated treasure. Isn't that the definition of dungeon crawler? :sebastian:

Mirage
01-10-2014, 07:53 PM
I guess it is, but there's also a lot of that social stuff at school going on. That almost takes up more time than the dungeon crawling for me.

Laddy
01-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Persona has several different randomized dungeons rather than an ever-ascending nightclub.

Skyblade
01-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Well I don't know about the other Persona games, but P3P was basically climbing one gigantic tower with floors that looked mostly the same and had nothing but enemies and randomly generated treasure. Isn't that the definition of dungeon crawler? :sebastian:

The dungeons in Persona 4 are far better organized, and have a much closer connection to the story. Persona, as a series, is centered almost entirely around the psychology and characterization of the characters in the world. Character growth and relationship growth are core concepts studied from several different angles. The dungeons in Persona 4 are another way of studying the minds of the individuals the dungeons are based on. I won't say any more than that for fear of spoilers.

Also, the writing in the games, overall, is top notch. If you played a male character in Persona 3 Portable, you saw the weakest of ATLUS's writing, as it was executed exactly the way it was in the original Persona 3, before ATLUS had refined some of it's writing and techniques along the follow up games. It's still good, but it has some definite flaws, and some rather "meh" Social Links (whereas the female main character, or the main character from Persona 4, have much better Social Link options).

In terms of technical execution, Persona 4 is hands down better. It ties the dungeon in with the main themes, characters, and story much better. It improves (most) of the combat. And the Social Links are fun all across the board. I don't like the story itself as much, but it is well worth playing (it also has a fully 3D world, unlike P3P's 2D overworld). And Persona 4 Golden is easily the best game currently on the Vita.

Del Murder
01-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Alright, maybe I'll pick it up. :ty:

Any other suggestions? Anyone play the AC game for Vita?

CimminyCricket
01-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Gravity Rush is awesome, Soul Sacrifice is pretty addicting, Disgaea 3 Absense of Detention is a must, and those are the only Vita specific games I play on the console. I have been playing a few FF games on the Vita, but I was also playing those on my PSP.

Bolivar
01-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Are you a PS+ subscriber, Del? If so, you can grab Hotline Miami and Gravity Rush for free, which I can't recommend strongly enough. It kinda sucks the memory cards are still so expensive, because between PS+ and the bundle I got, I can't fit all my free games on a 16GB card :Oo:

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed is a well-polished, stupid fun kart racer that I have been having a blast with. It might not be free anymore but it is cross-buy, meaning you get both the PS3 and Vita versions if you buy one. The free copy of Hotline Miami works the same way.

I've also been playing a lot of Little Big Planet Vita, which is of the same quality of the console versions, and any DLC costumes you've purchased can be carried over as soon as you boot up.

Hollycat
01-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Gravity Rush is amazing, you have to try it.

Skyblade
01-11-2014, 12:29 AM
Alright, maybe I'll pick it up. :ty:

Any other suggestions? Anyone play the AC game for Vita?

I own it (it came with my Vita), but I have not yet played it. I'll try it for you sometime this weekend.

I'm a little burnt out on AC though, to be honest. I could not get far into AC3 at all. As soon as it dropped Haytham for Conner, I got bored. I don't need to live every character's training sequences for fifteen hours, Ubisoft. Only the actual new things you're adding. Hopefully the Vita one will skip that mind-agonizingly dull section.

Dr Unne
01-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Spelunky is on Vita, I hear. I don't have a Vita, but if I did I'd get that.

Hollycat
01-11-2014, 02:41 AM
Assassins creed on the vita is small. It's better than 3 in story, but it falls short in most other ways to the other games. It's only completely better than the first game and bloodlines.

Edit: Vita also has the best versions of the Rayman games.
Definitely check out Wipeout, its the best (and sadly last) entry into the Wipeout series.
Terraria Vita is great.
Guacamelee is lots of fun.