PDA

View Full Version : Onimusha vs. Devil May Cry

Forsaken Lover
01-13-2014, 04:09 AM
Well i've owned the first three DMC games at one point or another and never cared for them. I freely admit part of this is because I'm just not very good at them. HOWEVER I also detest Dante. Sorry, he is not likable or fun or badass. He is a horrible cliche.

But Onimusha was my trout back in the day. Warlords was one of the first PS2 games I ever owned and it was amazing. I have fallen out of love with Resident Evil but I'm ready again to sink my teeth into Onimusha. I bought the first 3 games and Blade Warriors on ebay just now and it got me thinking about this. (Well, I made a bid, but I was the only bidder, so her's hoping I win.)

Anyway, both are quadrilogies, both by Capcom, both about demon slaying. I've even heard that Onimusha was a DMC prototype in some way. Yet Onimusha hasn't gotten an HD Collection.... Anyway I think Onimusha is a lot more interesting because of the atmospheric tone. It does a great job with making you feel like it's Feudal Japan with the superb music. Plus Warlords has some of the best prerendered stuff Capcom ever put out. There is such loving, gory detail to everything.

I guess 3 and Dawn of Dreams are very different but I haven't played them. I'm not sure what "general fan feeling" is in regards to which is the best. I guess I'd say a lot of people don't like DoD. To contrast, most everyone seems to agree DMC3 and 4 were the best. Well I remember DMC4 getting a lot of hate back in the day but it is quite beloved now if my reading of DMC threads elsewhere is correct.

But...yes. Which series do you like more and why?

Also obligatory post of epic Onimush music.
DOuoSY-BaMo

Ayen
01-13-2014, 04:45 AM
I haven't played Onimusha and only know Devil May Cry, but I see where you're coming from when it comes to Dante as a character. In the first game he is definitely a 'cool guy' cliche and the writing and voice acting were at their poorest. 2 Dante's personality does a complete 180 but doesn't show any actual growth nor do they even acknowledge how different he is compared to the first game. 3 he's a pompous ass, but at least you see actual character growth when you get near the end of the game that makes the ride worth it and the story was better constructed. I thought they had finally found a good balance with him in the fourth game and then they throw it out the window in order to reboot the whole franchise.

Capcom is ridiculous with how much they can make me rage.