PDA

View Full Version : Josef Appreciation Thread

Forsaken Lover
01-13-2014, 04:50 AM
Before Tellah....

Before Galuf...

Before Aerith

There was a Hero. But also a Man. A simple man living with his daughter and helping a seemingly hopeless struggle against tyranny and oppression.

"Once upon a time, 33 small countries fought together against an empire. One day, a rebel troop visited a man named Joseph, who lived with his daughter. Owing a debt to the troop, he gladly accepted their please for help. They headed for a cavern in the snow field."

"With Joseph's help, the troop defeated the adamantoise in the snow field cavern and acquired the Goddess Bell they needed to enter the empire's castle."

"On their way home, they fell into a trap set by a traitor. Joseph gave his life to save the troop. The troop left without telling Joseph's daughter, Nelly, about the tragedy."

"Historian's explanation: Although Joseph's death was not reported to his daughter, the manner of his death speaks for itself. This is the story of a true hero."

b2ctpZu_g5s

Psychotic
01-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Dude was a beast - what an awful way to die, if you think about it. Also that sad music was really touching and shame on whoever did that scene to make it cut out so abruptly.

Spooniest
01-13-2014, 12:32 PM
The first of the series' many "heroic sacrifices." They use this dramatic device an awful lot. In order for it to have any punch, they've got to catch the player off guard...

Scotty_ffgamer
01-13-2014, 09:28 PM
I almost wish we could get a remake of II just because of it's actually pretty good, dark story. I feel like there's a lot of emotional content here that to some extent is lost due to having little dialogue and whatnot.

This scene did hit me kind of hard when I played through the game for the first time not too long ago. It's really sad, and it was a horrible way to die.

It does kind of bother me how the main party treats deaths in general though. No real talk or anything. Just a slight nod to recognize what happened, and then quickly moving on to their next thing.

Spooniest
01-14-2014, 12:39 AM
It does kind of bother me how the main party treats deaths in general though. No real talk or anything. Just a slight nod to recognize what happened, and then quickly moving on to their next thing.

Famicom version didn't even have the bowing of the heads. Just music.

A lot had to be left up to the imagination; they probably didn't have a very large bank for animation frames or spritework on the computers they were using. This was the 80's, ya know.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-14-2014, 04:34 AM
Oh I realize the reasoning for why the scene plays out that way. I just mean that there was just something a bit unsettling about it when I played through this part. But yeah, I see your point.