PDA

View Full Version : The Banner Saga?

Vyk
01-13-2014, 07:55 AM
Is anyone else interested in this game. I guess it's about to come out, like, tomorrow or something. I just heard about it a few days ago. I'm almost willing to take the gamble on the art style alone. It looks like some of the gritty high profile animation from the 80s. Ralph Bakshi is the first who comes to mind. Or Rankin and Bass.

It's supposed to be an epic viking strategy game. Supposedly you can permanently lose characters in battle. They released a stand-alone PvP strategy game based on it a while back called Factions to kinda test the water. But with no story, it was all art and strategy. So I'm really hoping the story, and out-of-combat gameplay can stand up and I'll be wholly on board

Mainly I was wondering if anyone else was curious about this game. And if not, then maybe I'm just spreading the news and will garner more customers for them. They were a kickstarted project after all

The Banner Saga (http://stoicstudio.com/)

The Banner Saga by Stoic ? Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga)

Spuuky
01-13-2014, 04:38 PM
I played Factions a few times when it came out. It's fine, although it seemed poorly balanced at the time. I'd probably play it if it got cheap enough.

Vyk
01-15-2014, 02:12 AM
Well it's out and I went ahead and got it. It's downloading now. I wasn't previously aware that it was made from refugees of BioWare. Though it's not surprising considering what their goals were. It's getting generally positive reviews. Mostly giving praise to the awe-inspiring music and artistic vision. But they don't generally flack it for the gritty and brutal tactical combat. Or the story choices that have real consequences and supposedly a lot of times no easy answer, and apparently frequently ending in disaster if you simply just try to play Mr NiceGuy all the time and whatnot

MetaCritic of 84 with 18 positive reviews so far and only 2 "meh" reviews, and zero negative reviews. Still can't say it would be worth the $20 price tag. But am also now convinced it isn't something that should be completely dismissed either. So we'll see how my adventure in goes

Jiro
01-16-2014, 02:27 AM
I was gonna pick it up early access but I forgot. Looks pretty great, I'm going to get it once it has a sale for sure.