PDA

View Full Version : Sleep deprivation

Dr Unne
01-13-2014, 02:54 PM
It's 7AM, I've been writing code nonstop for 13 hours, and I'm starting to get dizzy. This is my break, I've got at least 6 hours of work left before I can stop. I've stayed up longer than this before, but the heavy concentration part is making it a lot worse.

How long is the longest you have stayed awake? Did you start seeing visions?

Sephex
01-13-2014, 03:05 PM
40 Hours or so. I was a kid. My cousin and I had a sleepover and we kept our selves occupied by trying to make 3D images with red and blue pen since we had those old school 3D glasses.

I usually get up early for work, so I never get enough sleep day to day. That's why my posts are sometimes off kilter here. I am just goofy tired, or I have coffee running through me. Or I am on a sleeping pill because I have had that hard of a time staying asleep. Or I'm drunk because it's the weekend. Or I am depressed.

But overall I am just goofy. I probably do something about the other stuff.

Don't want such a downer as a post so uh...

http://i.imgur.com/D7sDG7g.jpg

EDIT: I wrote two articles on ambien before. So I guess that sort of counts because the side effects are similar to sleep deprivation. Ignore the "backstory" to them. The editor thought it would be amusing. Also, NSFW language in the links:

http://www.primaryignition.com/2010/10/31/gamers-need-to-shut-up-and-other-beliefs-the-sewer-king-and-i-share/
http://www.primaryignition.com/2011/04/01/the-dragon-kings-predictions-of-your-stupid-mortal-entertianment/

AssassinDX
01-13-2014, 03:08 PM
38 hours is my maximum I think, I woke up at 6am for college, stayed up all night for a party, got the train home in the morning and felt pretty good, I think I eventually fell asleep at 8pm that evening. I couldn't do that now, I need my beauty sleep.

As mentioned in a topic I created a few weeks back I suffer from night terrors which involve hallucinations anyway, so I'm quite prone to them. On that particular occasion the one thing that stands out clearly to me was a bowling ball coming straight at my face as I sat there in a dazed state, that was the moment I decided sleep was needed. I heard voices too, not as in "you must kill your family" stuff but a short and loud AHH! as well as bangs as well, it's something called 'exploding head syndrome' (look it up) which I also regularly suffer from but it was much, much worse than usual that day. Never again.

Cuchulainn
01-13-2014, 03:09 PM
6 days.

Drugs were involved.

Carl the Llama
01-13-2014, 03:22 PM
I haven't actually measured the time, but in the early stages of my CKD I would sleep a maximum of 2 hours a day, and not continual, but 30 mins here 30 mins there... I would lay on my bed trying but I was basically a zombie all day every day.

I suffered from insomnia, it got better when I started dialysis though.

Pumpkin
01-13-2014, 03:43 PM
I was ina pretty messed up situation the required me to pack up and move my entire apartment overnight, move the next day, and then that didn't work out and I had to go around looking for somewhere to stay and somewhere to store all or my stuff.

Anyways it was close to 3 days.

Shauna
01-13-2014, 04:25 PM
I dunno. I have never successfully pulled an all-nighter, as far as I remember. Any time that was the plan, I just went to bed at like 8am or something and had a few hours sleep.

So uh, yeah. Probably not that long for my maximum being awake time. I enjoy sleep, and don't do things that need me to pull all-nighters.

Spuuky
01-13-2014, 04:42 PM
About 48 hours. I didn't experience anything unusual other than being really, really tired. Nothing quite like feeling a rush of adrenaline when you're utterly exhausted.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-13-2014, 05:08 PM
In college, I stayed up at least once for 40 hours straight (though I think I did this a couple of times). I had to do this to finish my last assignment at college. I woke up at 8am the first day and typed nonstop except for when I went to lunch and dinner for 23 hours. I wrote 30,000 words in that time for my final assignment. After that was done, I went to the cafeteria to eat, went to the library to print off all 140ish pages (I was lucky there was enough paper/ink/etc), and then went back to the dorm to work on my tri-fold poster board for the rest of the assignment. This took me a few hours to complete. I then practiced my presentation I was going to give over this assignment, which was about my student teaching experience. I played some Just Cause 2 for the couple of hours before the presentation, and then went and presented my thing over and over again for different people for about 4 hours straight. I was going to go back home and immediately sleep, but my fellow student teachers made me go out to eat with them. When I got back, I wasn't feeling so tired anymore and stayed up a few hours doing silly stuff with the roommates. All in all, it wasn't a horrible day.

Shorty
01-13-2014, 05:13 PM
36 hours. My friends and I did it on purpose because we were young and had no responsibilities.

Shiny
01-13-2014, 05:16 PM
I believe it was 3 or 4 days when I was doing my thesis dissertation. Chocolate covered expresso beans were involved.

Old Manus
01-13-2014, 05:18 PM
I was awake for roughly 36 hours when I came back from Barbados last summer. Woke up at 8, had an overnight flight later that evening, arrived in London at 6am local time and traveled all day back to south Wales before chilling out for the rest of the day and going to bed at around 11pm. The weird part was after 25 hours suddenly not feeling tired at all. I only went to bed because I assumed my body needed it. I then slept 15 hours straight :manus:

edit:

expresso beans:stare:

Iceglow
01-13-2014, 07:23 PM
lets see... probably close to a full week (7 days) if not a little longer. I've suffered severe insomnia bouts for years. Unfortunately there's no miracle cure for me. Sleep Hygiene Therapy helps but doesn't prevent it fully. Regularly I'll go to work having not slept at all for a day or two.

Have I ever hallucinated due to a lack of sleep? Yes. Most definitely. The worst period of insomnia I had was eventually caught on to just how bad it was by my sister when we were walking through the street and I got irritated that a tree was talking to me and I knew it was an hallucination as trees cannot talk to people.

Shlup
01-14-2014, 01:12 AM
I was sleep deprived for two weeks. When Bailey was born, I stayed in the NICU with her, where machines beeped, alarms went off, people came in and out, I had to milk myself every two hours, and on top of that she needed her diaper changed and temperature taken and fed all the time, which I tried to not let the nurses do. The sleep I did get was sitting upright in a chair or on a plastic couch. She also just had to be born while we were dogsitting for my in-laws, so BJ had to drive home at least once a day to take care of the dogs. He got to the point one day where he couldn't form a sentence; he'd try and tell me something and it was just a jumble of words.

Once I got her home, she slept in bed with me, so I rarely had to actually get up--as long as my boob's in her mouth we both sleep just fine.

Mirage
01-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Sounds like what you need, Unne, is some amphetamines.

I sometimes get light hallucinations when biking to work early in the morning after recently waking up after getting way too little sleep, but that's about it. I incorrectly register shapes as humans around the roads, it's kind of freaky.

Ayen
01-14-2014, 01:24 AM
24 hours and no. I had the chicken pots which felt terrible in my hair and I couldn't sleep anyway so I just lied there all night wide awake. Got up once the sun came up and made it through the rest of the day just fine. If I tried that trout now I'd never make it.

noxious.sunshine
01-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Uh. 3 or 4 days.

Yall can probably figure out why very easily.

I didn't hallucinate or anything... Just cleaned overly excessively, wrote letters to my ex in jail or journal entries that would wind up being 20 pgs long and taking showers every few hours cuz I couldn't stand feeling sweaty and gross.

Vasher
01-18-2014, 12:55 PM
~140 hours.
College years, summer of '99.

Woke up early Tuesday, partied all night at my house.

Wednesday we moved the party to my friends house because his parents were going out of town. At 4am I was about to pass out, then remembered I was supposed to meet up with my dad and grandfather at 4:30 to go fishing of off Santa Cruz (one of the Channel Islands). Told my friend to drive me.

Thursday I show up mid-party with a sunburn. Girl I'm dating is there, but one of my lady friends brought her new best friend (with the sole intention of introducing her to me). This girl was so hot it blew my mind. We hit it off, but they left because her parents wanted her home. I was up all night with the girl I was dating, was about to pass out, but that other girl came back (with the sole intention of stealing me away). She literally pulled me out of bed (other girl was asleep right next to me) to go down stairs with her.

Friday I partied all night with her (the other girl woke up, saw us together, left pissed, called me the next day). Anyhow...

Saturday, totally spent. A handful of guys were leaving to go to some party thing at a water park. Me and my friend (who's house we'd been partying at) planned on grilling up some steaks, pounding a few beers, then finally getting some sleep. We ate our steaks, drank a few beers, then called our friends and told them to come back for us (they had been on the road for over an hour at this point).

That little party at a water park turned out to be the very first Electric Daisy Carnival at Rock-A-Hoola water park. When we got in some girl asks us if we want acid, pulls out a "mint dropper", gives my friend a few drops, then squeezes half the bottle into my palm. She said "wow, it must be your lucky day". Insane.

Fell asleep late Sunday/early Monday. Woke up mid afternoon on Tuesday.

Now I can't sleep because of our newborn, our second child.

Jiro
01-18-2014, 11:18 PM
okay wow some of you are insane

Mo-Nercy
01-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Maybe 48 hrs. Either due to the study or partying.

But the amount of times I've gone for about a week or more with only half hour nanna naps is countless. You'd be surprised how a half hour nap every 8-10 hours can really refresh you.