PDA

View Full Version : Braveheart

Ayen
01-13-2014, 10:59 PM
gr_OpFxCx-A

Best damn speech I've heard in my life. This was my introduction to Mel Gibson and I wouldn't change that for anything. My parents rented this after it came out to video and we watched it at home. I can't believe this movie is going on eighteen years old. It doesn't feel that long ago.

Naturally, the speech is the only thing about the movie I can remember. Discuss!

Shauna
01-13-2014, 11:00 PM
I hate it when people watch this movie and assume they know everything about Scotland and Scottish History and act like we all idolise William Wallace.

Ayen
01-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Americans...

I didn't even know it was based on history when I first watched it.

Niale
01-14-2014, 09:41 AM
I have seen better :)

Shauna
01-14-2014, 09:44 AM
As an actual comment on the movie: It's alright. I've only seen it once, and it's not something that I'd be in a rush to watch again.

Bubba
01-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Oh my good lord... I didn't think it was possible to have so many historical inaccuracies in one film but I think Braveheart might just take the biscuit. At least Gibson admitted that the much of the film is fictitious. The majority of it was done for dramatic purposes. Things such as William Wallace fathering Princess Isabella's child (wtf?) and The Prince of Wales being portrayed as homosexual even though he fathered five children. It really didn't show Robert the Bruce in the best light either considering how much he is revered in Scotland.

My two best friends are from Glasgow and I love the country and its people. Though I don't think this film helped relations between England and Scotland very much. Showing English Lords bedding peasant women on the night of their marriage... what absolute bollocks. This never, ever happened. I just don't think Mel Gibson likes the English very much. For further proof... see The Patriot.

The speech is indeed very rousing though. I'll give him that.

Ayen
01-14-2014, 12:19 PM
THANK YOU! When I was trying to remember Braveheart I kept thinking it was based on the Revolutionary War, when I found out I was so far off base I was trying to remember what the hell I was thinking of. It was The Patriot.

Though the fact a movie that's supposed to be about Scotland reminds me of the Revolutionary War instead says it all, really.

Cuchulainn
01-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Braveheart is extremely historically accurate. I wouldn't bother reading about this period in British history just watch this and get all the information you need.

Especially primae noctis. That 100% definitely happened all the time. There were reports of the Lord's actually dying of exhaustion.

Rocket Edge
01-14-2014, 01:50 PM
I absolutely love this film! Who cares about the historical inaccuracies.

Bubba
01-14-2014, 01:53 PM

I do.

Forsaken Lover
01-14-2014, 02:32 PM
It's not as good as Neil Jordan's Michael Collins.
NKMbWUieQE4

Rocket Edge
01-14-2014, 02:44 PM

I do.
Well, your English, you would.

Bubba
01-14-2014, 02:54 PM

I do.
Well, your English, you would.

*you're* :monster:

Mirage
01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
This was my introduction to Mel Gibson and I wouldn't change that for anything.

Must suck to be too young to have Mad Max introduce you. :smug:

Cuchulainn
01-14-2014, 04:53 PM
It's not as good as Neil Jordan's Michael Collins.
NKMbWUieQE4

Great film. As was The Wind That Shakes The Barley.

Psychotic
01-14-2014, 06:14 PM
I liked the bit where the English murdered innocent Scots and when Wallace was tortured and murdered at the end, great fun :)

Although having said that, it's been a thing in my family passed down that we're apparently descended from Robert the Bruce (the Scottish king who whooped ass at the end and IRL was much more of a badass than that ponce Wallace) so :shobon:

Cuchulainn
01-14-2014, 08:47 PM
The English really did to terrible shit in Scotland though...and Ireland...and India, Malaya, Burma, oh and Africa, Sri Lanka, Iraq, brb I'll get the list.

Psychotic
01-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Ahhh, so it's the English not the British when genocide is committed. Good to know, my fellow British citizen :greenie:

Shauna
01-15-2014, 09:06 AM
It's like how Andy Murray is British when he's winning, but is Scottish when he loses. :greenie:

Shiny
01-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Excuse me, imma let you finish, but Braveheart and Gladiator are the best man films of all time.