PDA

View Full Version : Sports Games

Ayen
01-13-2014, 11:37 PM
Play any good sports game recently?

First sports game I ever played was a golf game for the NES. I can't remember which golf game, exactly. I knew there were a couple. I just remember the guys wearing plain shirts in colors like white, red, purple (I think purple) and hitting the ball into the air. My brother and father played the game too. Dad was always a big golf fan. If you heard him screaming in the other room while it's on you'd think he was watching football.

After that I played a baseball game for the NES that I borrowed from my best friend. I sucked at it. Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to make first. I also played two basketball games for the Sega Genesis. I can't remember the first one (other than them always giving a closeup of the player when you went to dunk the ball through the hoop) but I believe the second one was NBA Jam.

I wouldn't play sports game again until the PlayStation/Nintendo 64 era when I played NFL Game Day 2000 and then later bought Game Day 99. I also have NBA Live 2001 for the PS1 (my favorite basketball game ever) and I played two racing games in the form of Gran Turismo 2 and Need for Speed. I only own Gran Turismo. Also played a demo of a hockey and soccer game once, that was fun. Also played a Tiger Woods game my dad got for the PS1. I own NFL Blitz 2002 for the Gamecube as well. I always enjoyed just walking up to a player while he's on the ground and elbow dropping him. Yes, you can actually elbow drop in that game.

And if they count... pretty much every professional wrestling game from 97 on up. Played one tennis game thanks to Mario, too.

Discuss.

Botchmun
01-13-2014, 11:42 PM
I like sports games, did you get many field... points in the local sporting event?

escobert
01-14-2014, 03:00 AM
I like to play Madden or Hockey. If racing games count then those are fun. Problem is there aren't many sports games on PC and I don't like buying consoles for pretty much just sports games.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-14-2014, 03:52 AM
I sometimes play Nintendo World Cup on the NES for a good time. I've played newer FIFA and NBA games in college with other people, but I'm not a huge sports game person.

Ayen
01-14-2014, 04:09 AM
I like to play Madden or Hockey. If racing games count then those are fun. Problem is there aren't many sports games on PC and I don't like buying consoles for pretty much just sports games.

Yeah, sports games don't seem to be very computer savy. I don't know if it's the control schemes not being very good on a keyboard or if most sports fans just happen to be console owners.

Bubba
01-14-2014, 05:20 PM
I sometimes play Nintendo World Cup on the NES for a good time.

Some of the special shots on that were pretty meaty!

The only sporting games I play are FIFA and MLB: The Show. The latter has taken far too much of my life.

Agent Proto
01-14-2014, 05:54 PM
I like playing sports games, but out of my brothers, I seem to be the only one who do. I try to get a game or two played with them, but they can never seem to finish the game with me. :/

Sephex
01-14-2014, 06:02 PM
I love Super Baseball simulator 1.000! The powers are ridiculous. Though, I wish that version had a space stadium like the NES version did.

edczxcvbnm
01-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Sephex, the space stadium automatically make the NES version superior in every way shape and form.

I don't play many sports games as they are all trying to be so super serious and realistic. A game of Tecmo Super Bowl lasts 10 minutes or less and that gave me all of the football action I could want and it is completely awesome.

Spuuky
01-14-2014, 11:51 PM
There is no sports game better than Mutant League Football. That's simply a fact of life.

Rostum
01-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Mutant League Football
That was one of the first games that came across my mind when I said to myself "I used to like sports games!". I guess they needed some sort of gimmick / arcade feel to them for me to enjoy. :)

I Took the Red Pill
01-15-2014, 08:40 AM
I play FIFA regularly. I also play NBA 2K and Madden semi-frequently, but FIFA will always be king.

Back in the day, before Madden gained sole rights to distribute NFL games, the ESPN NFL 2K games were superior to Madden. I was heartbroken when they lost the legal ability to make them.

Also NFL Blitz was the shit. NBA Street and NFL Street were also pretty cool.

Mirage
01-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Play any good sports game recently?

Not recently, no. Actually, not in the last 28 years either.

Pike
01-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Mario Golf (for N64) is absurdly fun.

Ayen
01-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Mario Golf (for N64) is absurdly fun.

I know what you mean. I rented that game from Blockbuster (or was it Movies & More?) and played it for hours. The same thing happened with Mario Tennis. Count on Mario to make sports I would otherwise find boring tons of great fun.

Loony BoB
01-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Football Manager is the best sports game in the history of everything.

Bubba
01-16-2014, 11:27 AM

My doctor says I'm not allowed to play Football Manager any more.

When I broke my leg a few years ago I was off work for three months. I spent roughly two-and-a-half of those months sat at my laptop on this fucking game.

I... I can't go back there.

Ayen
01-16-2014, 12:08 PM

I was wondering when you'd post in this thread.

If I knew anything about football other than the basics I'd give the game a try.

Sephex
01-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Sephex, the space stadium automatically make the NES version superior in every way shape and form.

I don't play many sports games as they are all trying to be so super serious and realistic. A game of Tecmo Super Bowl lasts 10 minutes or less and that gave me all of the football action I could want and it is completely awesome.

I remember you showing me that since at the time back then, I thought the SNES version was the only one! I was like, "WHY WOULD THEY NOT DO THAT WITH A SUPERIOR CONSOLE?!"