PDA

View Full Version : Casper Movie (1995)

Ayen
01-14-2014, 01:48 AM
Casper, the friendly ghost! The friendliest ghost you know!

Yeah, I'm a Casper fan. I remember watching the old cartoon on a VHS my parents had and then seeing the movie after it came out on video. Good times. The other movies never captured the same magic as the first IMO but I still enjoyed them as a kid. It was funny and kept me glued to my seat throughout. I love his uncles. I know I have glow in the dark hand puppets of them somewhere in this house... Remember Christina Ricci? Whatever happened to her...

Did you see the Casper movie? Love it or hate it? Why and why not?

Discuss.

LunarWeaver
01-14-2014, 02:24 AM
I loved Casper as a kid. It's one of those movies I watched over and over. I watched it again as an adult and pure nostalgia made me overlook its flaws. Nostalgia is potent stuff! If hugs go on for too long and get awkward I like to whisper Can I keep you? in my Casper voice into the other person's ear. Instant hug break.

It has a great piano theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W29ePBPzIM

Shorty
01-14-2014, 02:25 AM
This movie was a staple of my childhood and it is amazing. Wednesday Addams, Bill Pullman, creepy-looking haunted house, a search for a family secret, secret passageways and potions, and an awesome female villain - what's not to love? Also, Stretch is the best uncle.

I was never too fond of the cartoon, but I think that might be because I didn't really watch it.

Ayen
01-14-2014, 02:36 AM
This film made me want to be a ghost when I was little. I wanted to run through walls, eat food that goes straight through me and scare people. Now that I'm an adult I only do the latter two.

Shlup
01-14-2014, 02:40 AM
Love that movie! It's so sad though. And, in retrospect, the romantic part was a little weird. I never saw the sequels.

krissy
01-14-2014, 03:02 AM
First movie I saw in theaters
Soooooo sad
Was so excited to see it though

Ayen
01-14-2014, 03:13 AM
Love that movie! It's so sad though. And, in retrospect, the romantic part was a little weird. I never saw the sequels.

Technically it's a prequel and a sequel. The prequel follows Casper first becoming a ghost and the sequel is just ghosts meeting witches.

noxious.sunshine
01-14-2014, 05:44 AM
Omg. I remember the piano theme!! It's soooo amazing!

I loved this movie as a kid.... And yep, I had it on VHS. Along with Indian in the Cupboard and a few others lol

I Took the Red Pill
01-14-2014, 05:56 AM
I played the everloving trout out of this VHS. Loved the movie, though I was always disturbed by the part where the dad dies.

Looking back on it now, jeez, this movie had some pretty heavy stuff going on, didn't it? Certainly more than most of the movies I was watching at that age.

Shauna
01-14-2014, 08:54 AM
I watched it once or twice when I was younger and enjoyed it.

On New Year this year it was on the TV and my friends and I watched it while being mildly hungover. It was great to poke a bit of fun at, mostly due to the weird romance between Casper and Wednesday Addams. That was unsettling. Also the fact that it is so 90s. xD

But yeah, fun stuff. :D

Ayen
01-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Also the fact that it is so 90s. xD

Hey. The nineties were awesome.

Shauna
01-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Yep. But some things from the 90s are just so... 90s. In the blurst possible way.

Botchmun
01-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Also the fact that it is so 90s. xD

Hey. The nineties were awesome.

What's really, really sad is that when we hit 2020 the turn of the millenium will be awesome. And in the year 2525, if man is still alive if woman could survive, they will find....

izQB2-Kmiic

the Casper movies were sadly the death of the friendly ghost, which saddens me as I'd liked the old cartoons.

Ayen
01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
*can't see anything through his nostalgia goggles* What?

I love that song.

Parker
01-14-2014, 11:49 AM
This movie was on TV over the Christmas period so I watched it and really enjoyed it in a nostalgic way. I had totally forgotten about the Eastwood, Gibson and Dangerfield cameos and thought they were cool. And yea as shlup said the romance thing was really quiet creepy in retrospect.

Also Casper was my first game for my first console (Playstation) and I played the ever-loving shit out of it. I've seen the movie exactly three times but I've out more time morphing into a bouncy ball or fan in that stupid game than I have in most other things in my life.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-14-2014, 03:43 PM
I did not like the cartoon or the sequels at all, but I loved the Casper movie as a kid. It was a staple of my childhood and I still love it anytime I watch it today.

Pike
01-14-2014, 04:30 PM
I watched the original cartoon a billion times growing up and I watched the VHS of this film several times too. The Lazarus machine was super steampunky before steampunk was a "thing".

Also, dat soundtrack. So incredibly haunting.

K8zYrt0c8O4

Scotty_ffgamer
01-14-2014, 04:40 PM
That song! Gah, I always forget how good this soundtrack is.

Shorty
01-14-2014, 04:44 PM
I played the everloving trout out of this VHS. Loved the movie, though I was always disturbed by the part where the dad dies.

Looking back on it now, jeez, this movie had some pretty heavy stuff going on, didn't it? Certainly more than most of the movies I was watching at that age.

I had both this and The Lion King tab open, and thinking this was The Lion King thread I found myself agreeing with everything until I read Shauna's post below and had a lightbulb moment.

Psychotic
01-14-2014, 06:10 PM
This movie is a very good horror film and I am terrified of Casper to this day.