PDA

View Full Version : This is me 5 years ago

Niale
01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
And i don't mean i literally am him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPtczI94jAY
But more like, i was "like" this person (in the video) 5 years ago, on the attitude, complained about games but only if i had a reason, loved anime(as when it came to drawing quality), loved editing and computers and stuff like that :)

What was you like about 5 years ago, let me know :)

This is my last question for awhile, tommorow i'm leaving for awhile, but i'll be back :)
Either way, back to the main topic.

Aulayna
01-14-2014, 06:28 PM
And now you're like the voice overs?

Niale
01-14-2014, 06:33 PM
And now you're like the voice overs?
Oh no :P No i won't identify myself with that :P
But if someone would make fun of me, then that would be okay, self irony is not so bad as someone might think :)

Old Manus
01-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Joel is still making Youtube videos, I see.

noxious.sunshine
01-14-2014, 08:40 PM
5 years ago? Gosh.. 5 Years ago, I worked nonstop between 2 jobs, took college classes, and was pretty much raising my baby on my own with the help of my sister, who babysat her while I worked my 2nd job and was in class.

5 years ago now, I'd been with my ex for about 4 months and was planning a weekend trip to Gatlinburg, TN over spring break in March (which is something he now does every year).

I was pretty much the same me I am now... The same bubbly, friendly, outgoing person I've been since 2006.

starlet
01-14-2014, 11:14 PM
I made the mistake of getting married not quite 5 years ago. I'm currently working on fixing that mistake.

Shorty
01-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Five years ago I was living at my boyfriend's mom's house in Arizona (with him not living there) due to having just been a part of a roommate living situation in which the house we lived in was foreclosed on, so we pretty much had to pack up our trout and move out almost overnight. I was pretty heavily in debt from awful decisions, not making enough money, about to lose my job, was in a relationship that didn't make me happy that I tried to pretend was satisfying, drinking so smurfing much smurfing everclear, and generally depressed with feeling like I could not catch a break or make anything good come from any of my life choices. I did have a lot of adventures around this time, though. Despite being in a relationship that helped further my depression, we did have a lot of fun together. I was physically sick from the homesick I was feeling and was very seriously considering moving back home with my family. I would call my mom every night and cry to her that I wanted to come home, but I wanted to maintain my stubborn independence and also I wanted to see my relationship through.

Five years ago I was chainsmoking cloves every day and taking pills to sleep.

Five years ago, I began hiking some asshole mountains with my friend around this time, and we busted our asses so hard that we would come home and both go to separate bathrooms to puke for a good five or so minutes because of how vigorously our asses were kicked. Then we would make food and sit around all day watching troutty dramas like Las Vegas while passing in and out of consciousness for the next day until I left.

Five years ago, I was listening to this music: (thanks, livejournal)
Andrew Bird - Soldier On EP
animal collective discography
Chairlift - Does You Inspire You
Cocorosie - Noah's Ark
Cold War Kids - Loyalty To Loyalty
Cold War Kids - The Mulberry Street EP
Cowboy Bebop OSTs
Crystal Castles
Franz Ferdinand - Tonight
Jenny Lewis
Infadels - Universe In Reverse
Me-Shell NdegeOcello - Bitter
MGMT - Climbing To New Lows
Native Korean Rock
Ok Go - Ok Go
PlayRadioPlay!
Seabear - The Ghost That Carried Us Away
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
Sufjan Stevens - A Sun Came!
The Bird And The Bee - Ray Guns Are Not Just The Future
The Go! Team - Proof Of Youth
The Rifles - The Great Escape
The Weepies - Hideaway
TV on the Radio - Dear Science,

Five years ago I was in love with The Office.

Five years ago, this is (https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/2596_1101484823111_834191_n.jpg) what I (https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/3327_1142521088992_1118114_n.jpg) looked like (https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/2424_1096887748187_2193584_n.jpg).

Five years ago, I was ramping up for the Cardinals to play in the superbowl, which ended in massive disappointment and heartbreak.

All in all, two thousand and nine, it was a bastard of a year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEmpKHWerWg) and I'm glad I never have to revisit it.

Now I am single, much happier, not in (as much) debt, employed at a good rate of pay for me to live on, close (perhaps too close) to my family, and I have my head screwed on a little better - enough for me to know what direction I want to follow. I still battle with depression now and again, but it's nothing compared to what I experienced in those days.

And that is the story of me from five years ago.

noxious.sunshine
01-15-2014, 12:53 AM
lmao... Your time in Phoenix almost totally mirrors mine. I lived with my ex's family after he got locked up - they knew he screwed me over hardcore and knew I had nowhere to go, so they let me stay with them. Switch the everclear out for meth and that's pretty much me.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-15-2014, 07:34 PM
It's honestly pretty hard to think about 5 years ago. It seems like such a long time ago, an I feel pretty different from back then. I was a senior in high school, just starting my final semester. I don't think I knew where I was going to college yet, but I would soon go to a presentation by a representative of Park. I had continued to joke about how none of the reps had given us a pen with their college name on it, and the first college to give me a pen at their presentation would be the one I'd go to. Honestly, to try to get more pens was the whole reason I went to those things because I was running out. Park gave me a pen during their presentation, and so I decided I might as well go there. (Also, I found out I'd get a full tuition scholarship, but I like to tell people the pen is the reason I went there).

I never worried much about my future. I just kind of focused on the "here and now" and trusted that God would help those things I was unsure about to fall into place. I was pretty religious at the time. I'd gone to a private Christian school since 6th grade, and I just felt like I belonged there. I met so many great friends that I just knew I could count on to be there forever. I was still pretty certain of this as I was going into my final semester of high school.

I worked at the same job I work at now. I was miserable there. Customers always were so rude, letting me know how horrible of human being I am for not giving them free stuff and such any chance they got. I was a part of a service club in school called ZAC club. We would soon be taking a trip to Colorado City for about 5 days to put on services at a church there and do other servicey things like cleaning up litter and whatnot. Really, we were just going to check out the mountains and whatnot. I had just finished my final season of soccer the semester before, and I was pretty sad about that. I would try to set up a meeting with Park's soccer coach to try out for the team, but he would constantly cancel on me and it would never work out.

At the beginning of the previous year (I think), I would have ended a relationship of about 1 year that had went pretty sour. I was happy and content with being single in 2009, but over time started to miss that kind of companionship. There would be girls I'd like. Anytime I just started to get to know a girl and start to develop feelings for her, someone else would ask her out within a week. This happened 100% of the time which was kind of discouraging throughout that year. I've been single ever since then, but it doesn't really bother me.

I'd be in a play in the spring about the Book of Mormon. My school was a part of the Restoration church, which is a branch off of the RLDS, so it was a serious thing. These spring plays were always religious and were generally pretty bad, but I just liked acting. I played Lemuel, one of Nephi's brothers. There were actually a lot of funny moments in this play of people forgetting their lines. This summer would be the first that my school would start doing musicals with alumni from the school (of which we actually had professional actors). I was a suitor in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Lots of good times there.

At the end of 2009, I'd go to my first semester of college. In my Freshman classes, I would meet several people that I'd eventually have most of my Education classes with. They would become some of my best friends by senior year. At the time, though, I just kept being shy and quiet and never talked to anyone really. I hate talking to people I don't know and feel super awkward about it, and it always takes forever for me to start to open up to someone. I should have just opened up to these people. It would have saved me a lot of heartache and loneliness that first semester, because boy was I lonely. Remember when I said my friends from high school would be there for forever? Yeah, they all dropped off the face of the earth. I'd call and text friends only to get no responses. These were my best friends just a few months prior, and this hurt. A lot. I didn't want to experience this again, and I kind of closed myself off from people for a while. It's still hard for me to get close to other people because there's always this lingering fear that those people will abandon me.

To leave off on a more positive note, I think this was the semester I got to take an Astronomy class. (if not, it was the next semester which would make it 2010, but whatever). I was obsessed with astronomy, and this was finally my chance to mess with telescopes and such, something I'd wanted to do since I was a little kid. We took a trip to the Powell observatory which was pretty awesome. The computer kept malfunctioning whenever my professor tried to punch in coordinates into the computer to have it move the telescope, and it kept swinginging around and pointing straight to the ground instead. The huge telescope kept almost knocking people over that weren't paying attention, and it was funny. It was a beautiful, clear night though, and I got to see some awesome sights through that telescope. Definitely one of my favorite memories.

Sorry, you were warned how long this would be. I don't know why I typed all of this, haha.