PDA

View Full Version : The NeverEnding Story

Scotty_ffgamer
01-15-2014, 06:26 AM
Honestly, I just wanted to make a cool movie thread before ToriJ got to it. So, who else is a huge fan of this movie?

Has anyone read the book? I've never read it, but I've always thought it would be a fun read. I tried to see if I could find a copy of the book that looked like the book used in the movie because that would have been awesome, but my searches have turned up fruitless.

Discuss!

Pumpkin
01-15-2014, 06:28 AM
I loved the movie when I was little. I fussed when it ended.

The scene with his horse in the swamp... tears every time ;____;

Quindiana Jones
01-15-2014, 06:30 AM
First movie is indeed amazing. Falcor is the shit.

The book is also very good, and well worth a read. :D

Vyk
01-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Just watched this like right around Christmas. Still love it. It made me curious about the book. I had a couple of credits laying around on Audible.com. So I got the audio books. Here's hoping to check them out eventually

Scotty_ffgamer
01-15-2014, 06:33 AM
The second movie is worth watching just to see how sweaty the dad gets at the end. Seriously, every scene he gets sweatier and sweatier, and its pouring off of him by the end. Really though, it's a terrible movie and makes little sense when considering the first one.

I've always wanted a luck dragon in my life, even if Falcor does creep me out sometimes.

vj7J_e3nY2E So good. So awkward.

Ayen
01-15-2014, 06:51 AM
I was introduced to this series through the second one and watched the first one later. As a kid I had horrible tastes and thought 2 and 3 were better than the first one. Then I grew up and realized just how frigging awesome the first one was. But I always did love the Childlike Empress in that movie the best. I can watch that scene again and again, no lie. I also watched some episodes of the cartoon they had for a while too.

Never read the book but I read that the first movie actually changed so much from the book that the author wasn't happy about it. He wanted them to change the title because of all the changes (like Bastion being skinny instead of fat, Atreyu not being green, I think the empress had white hair too and looked more like she actually came from the moon, hence the name 'Moon Child'). There was even a lawsuit but he eventually loss and the name stayed the same. If he didn't like the changes in the first one then I can only imagine what he thought of 2 and 3.

The book is color coded from what I remember, to separate when the narrative is following the real world and Fantasia.

Shlup
01-15-2014, 06:57 AM
I can't even see the title without singing it.

The Neverending Stoooooryyyyyy
Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh

But just that part.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-15-2014, 07:00 AM
I think I knew about the author not liking the movie, but I didn't realize there was a lawsuit and such.

Anyways, my main problem with the second movie is that after all of the hullabaloo about figuring out the Childlike Empress' name in the first movie and discovering it was Moon Child, why does she revert to being the Childlike Empress in the second movie? Just weird. Also, didn't Bastion say that Moon Child was his mom's name, or am I remembering wrong? If I'm remembering that right, I always thought it was kind of funny.

Night Fury
01-15-2014, 07:04 AM
ARTAAAX

ARRRTTTTAAAAXXXXXXX!!!!!

*My heart breaks a million times*

Ayen
01-15-2014, 07:10 AM
I can't even see the title without singing it.

The Neverending Stoooooryyyyyy
Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh

But just that part.

Me neither, Shlup.

I think I knew about the author not liking the movie, but I didn't realize there was a lawsuit and such.

Anyways, my main problem with the second movie is that after all of the hullabaloo about figuring out the Childlike Empress' name in the first movie and discovering it was Moon Child, why does she revert to being the Childlike Empress in the second movie? Just weird. Also, didn't Bastion say that Moon Child was his mom's name, or am I remembering wrong? If I'm remembering that right, I always thought it was kind of funny.

I think the Childlike Empress is also a title. When Bastion entered the world in the book he eventually became the Childlike Emperor despite having a name, so yeah. They probably didn't address her as Moon Child since the original scene was done in such a way you couldn't make it out, allowing the kid's imagination to come up with their own name for her. And I honestly prefer it that way.

He said his mom had a beautiful name but I'm not sure if it's ever confirmed if it was Moon Child. No idea why her name was Moon Child if that's the case. Unless she was an Indian or something...

Scotty_ffgamer
01-15-2014, 07:23 AM
I could be remembering wrong. I just remember one of my friends and I discussing the whole mother's name thing whenever we watched the second movie last year. Might be time for me to watch the first movie again so I can remember how that scene plays out.

Quindiana Jones
01-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Yeah, he says his mother has a beautiful name, but never explicitly states that it's Moon Child. It's implicit in that he thinks of his mother's name when he thinks of a possible name for the Childlike Empress, and then when he actually gives her a name, he names her Moon Child, but other than that...

It's a silly name. :colbert:

Bubba
01-15-2014, 03:26 PM
I love this film so much. I remember having one of my first ever crushes on the princess when I was a kid.

Bastian! Why don't you do what you dream, Bastian?!!

Shorty
01-15-2014, 04:30 PM
These movies are incredible. Also, Artax in the swamp is the saddest thing ever and I will cry my stupid eyes out ever time.

I need to see these again! Been too long. I've never read the books, but I'd like to, for curiousity's sake.

noxious.sunshine
01-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Jonathon Brandis killed himself a few yrs ago.

I haven't seen these movies in agggges.. and I certainly have never read the books... To my knowledge anyway... We should have a movie party/viewing of this. TOTES.

Bubba
01-15-2014, 05:01 PM
We should have a movie party/viewing of this. TOTES.

I am DEFINITELY up for this.

Karifean
01-15-2014, 05:03 PM
I only read the book. Should I watch the movies?

Bubba
01-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Nah, the movies are garbage. You should stick well clear of them.

Only joking, they're awesome. Get on it :)

Mirage
01-15-2014, 05:10 PM
I loved the movie when I was little. I fussed when it ended.

The scene with his horse in the swamp... tears every time ;____;

ARTAAAAAAAAX! NOOOO!

I actually read the book when I was a kid. That didn't happen very often.

Shorty
01-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Viewing party this weekend? Who's up for it?

Scotty_ffgamer
01-15-2014, 05:42 PM
I work from 4-11pm CST on Saturday. If it's not during that time, I can probably do it. If it is, then I may just watch it on my own anyways.

noxious.sunshine
01-15-2014, 06:04 PM
I'll most likely be up when you get off, so I can hold off until then, Scotty!

I'll have to download the movie sometime before then, tho.

Pike
01-15-2014, 07:36 PM
I actually never liked this movie as a kid. I thought it was boring and didn't understand why there was a giant flying dog.

The theme song was GREAT, though.

Ayen
01-16-2014, 04:03 AM
Viewing party this weekend? Who's up for it?

How are we having the viewing party?

Vyk
01-16-2014, 04:26 AM
I always presumed his mother was indeed native american, given the name, once I was bothered to actually google what the hell her name actually was a few years ago. I liked that they made it so you couldn't hear what he was saying her name was and left it up to your imagination. I wonder if that's why the hero of his story was pseudo-native-american

theundeadhero
01-16-2014, 06:41 AM
*fangirls*

I grew up watching the movie a lot. I've read the book twice. It is color coded between green and black so you know what's happening in what world. For the most part the first and second movie cover what happens in the book, though with a lot of changes in placement and events and plenty left out. It is heavily implied that Moon Child was his mother's name but never actually says that it is.

Ayen
01-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Yeah, the second film was bad but at least it was following the book. First movie covers the first half, second covers the second half. Maybe had they made the second one a few years earlier and signed everyone on for it it might have been a lot better, but now we'll never know.

The third one just used the characters from the book. Which explains why we go from The Nothing, The Emptiness and The Nasty! At least it's fun seeing Jack Black having fun.

Jiro
01-16-2014, 10:40 AM
ARTAAAX

ARRRTTTTAAAAXXXXXXX!!!!!

*My heart breaks a million times*

It is fitting that this was enough to a) trigger a hazy memory and b) make me well up. Fuck me that was emotional.

maybee
01-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Loved the first one, the rest not so much.

Has anybody played Space Harrier ? The flying space doggy, totally reminded me of the one in that game.