PDA

View Full Version : Day Z standalone

escobert
01-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Anyone else have this yet? It's still in Alpha stages but you ca get early access on steam. I picked it up last night and ran around for hours searching homes. ended up with a firemans axe, lots of soda and canned food, a rain jacket, a med kit, tons of rags to bandage myself and some sweet sunglasses B) Ended up getting killed by a zombie but not before I was accused of being an axe murderer and gave up some supplies to appease some fellow survivors.

here's some funny DayZ videos

More of the best DayZ videos so far: a DayZ dance-off, gas station roulette and trouserless cultists | PC Gamer (http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/13/more-of-the-best-dayz-videos-so-far-a-dayz-dance-off-gas-station-roulette-and-trouserless-cultists/)

some rules to live by:
You will most likely die within 15 minutes (based off of actual server statistics)

* Until you know what you're doing, you will struggle to find weapons, medicine, food and drink.

* Nearly everyone you meet will be outfitted like a Spetsnaz death squad with silenced automatic weapons. If this were the mod, they would probably also have a helicopter gunship.

* Back in the day there was always a sniper with a thermal scoped .50 cal rifle at Cherno, Elektro and NWAF. Stary, Balota and the corridor between Kamenka and NWAF were no picnic either.

* If someone offered you a ride, it was probably to drop you off in the middle of nowhere and kill you. They would also probably rape you if that was a feature in the game.

* Your biggest threats are other players, opening doors, ladders, rocks, zombies, thirst, hunger

* Back in the day, you had a fair chance of dying from simply being instakilled or dropped into a Thunderdome by a hacker.

* Even someone who is friendly will likely turn on you when the opportunity presents itself.

* You go to known military weapon spawns and are surprised someone KoS you? What were YOU doing there? Dropping of donations to UNICEF?

* I can see you. Seriously. It freaks me out because I figure if you have no idea I'm watching you, who the smurf might be watching me right now!?

* If loot wasn't sort of rare, it wouldn't be a survival game. It'd be a picking trout up off the ground game.

* This is a game of long hours of lonely tedium, interspersed with moments of profound terror followed by either elation or bitter rage.

Specs
Minimum:
Processor: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 512 MB VRAM
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 14 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

Nicolas
01-15-2014, 04:39 PM
I haven't gotten around to getting this one just yet. I played the mod quite a bit when it came out and will probably pick it up soon. It's just a lot of fun.

escobert
01-15-2014, 07:12 PM
thought I'd add this for those who don't know about the game at all

"The goal of DayZ is to stay alive during the conditions of the zombie apocalypse that has befallen the in-game world. The player begins on the coast of the map equipped with only simple clothes and a flashlight, and must begin exploring the large 225 km2 landscape to investigate locations such as houses, barns, and apartments to scavenge supplies. These supplies include food and water, which are basic keys to prolonging the players life. Beyond the bare bones of survival, players can find various forms of clothing, which not only allows the player to customise their character, but can bring the benefit of extra storage space for supplies. Also scattered around the map are a variety of weapons, allowing players to protect themselves from zombies or other players if necessary. Currently these are largely focused on a range of melee weapons, but a small number of firearms (more are to be implemented with future updates) are present, as well as various attachments such as bipods and telescopic sights.

Whilst travelling around the game players can also find various medical supplies, as the environment poses a range of threats to their character. This includes diseases such as cholera, dysentery and hepatitis, which can be caught by ingesting dirty water or rotten food and must be cured with the appropriate medicine. If a player is shot or otherwise hurt, items on their person may be damaged. The player may also start bleeding and must be bandaged quickly to minimise blood loss; excessive damage or blood loss will result in serious deterioration of vision for the player and can render them unconscious. The game also includes hundreds of public domain books throughout the map for players to read, including titles such as War of the Worlds and Moby-Dick."

escobert
01-16-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking about doing some streaming in the next few days of my adventures. Anyone interested in seeing this?

Slothy
01-17-2014, 01:11 AM
I'm definitely interested. I'm tempted to get the game, but I think I'd also rather wait until it was done. Not really decided yet.

AssassinDX
01-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Yeah I'd like to see it too, I'm interested to see what happens.

I'm also interested in buying the game down the line, but from what I've read and seen on YouTube I don't think it'll be something I get along with. When I first read about back when it was first announced I was thinking how awesome it would be to team up with a group of total strangers to survive, like how it is in the movies, banding together to survive as long as possible. Instead all I've seen are people stealing from others at gunpoint while swearing loudly at them, or failing that shooting them from distance without a second thought.

I suppose it's true to life really, in any sort of apocalypse be it zombie or otherwise the number 1 enemy will always be humanity.

escobert
01-17-2014, 01:15 PM
I have been murdered and attempted to be robbed but for the most part people are nice and they too just wanna survive.
Some of the best moments so far have come from that randomness of others running around. I also play on low populated servers when doing most of my scavenging.

I'm going to try and stream tomorrow evening. probably test it out tonight. I'll post more details soon!

Slothy
01-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Yeah I'd like to see it too, I'm interested to see what happens.

I'm also interested in buying the game down the line, but from what I've read and seen on YouTube I don't think it'll be something I get along with. When I first read about back when it was first announced I was thinking how awesome it would be to team up with a group of total strangers to survive, like how it is in the movies, banding together to survive as long as possible. Instead all I've seen are people stealing from others at gunpoint while swearing loudly at them, or failing that shooting them from distance without a second thought.

I suppose it's true to life really, in any sort of apocalypse be it zombie or otherwise the number 1 enemy will always be humanity.

This is why I've always felt it would be a game I'd like to get into more with at least one other friend just for some cooperation and safety in numbers I guess. Even if most people are nice and just looking to survive. It just seems like the perfect game to go through with a buddy or two.

escobert
01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Yes, I have a couple friends I play with. numbers definitely makes it easier but, when you have 3 people with axes they still aren't much of a match to someone with a M4A1. Also more people scavenging means less you get for your time. I find it easier to scavenge on my own and travel in groups.

Also get away from the coast asap. Bandits hang out in the coastal towns since it's the most common spawn area.

Jiro
01-18-2014, 04:30 AM
I'm gonna be all over this when it hits a steam sale.

escobert
01-18-2014, 09:24 PM
So I don't think I'll be streaming, I'm having respawn issues. The patch monday is supposed to try and help the issue. basically I respawn every time I enter a new server so my character is not ever getting saved and I must start over every time and that's very frustrating.

AssassinDX
01-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Fair enough, at least it's hopefully only a two day wait.

escobert
01-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Yes, and respawning is so hit or miss. you can spawn right next to zombies or a town that was picked clean 10 minutes ago.

escobert
01-19-2014, 04:25 AM
I think I have solved the issue and found a more stable server cluster to play on :)

escobert
01-20-2014, 02:14 PM

Oh and, it's basically on a steam sale right now since it's only going to go up in price. It's $30 right now and will be double by release. So might as well get it at half price now :p

Nicolas
01-20-2014, 03:46 PM

Oh and, it's basically on a steam sale right now since it's only going to go up in price. It's $30 right now and will be double by release. So might as well get it at half price now :p

Yes. This. And as an added bonus, Bohemia rarely puts their games on massive, or even moderately good, sales. Paying around this price isn't a bad amount for any of their games.

Jiro
01-22-2014, 02:08 AM
well I bought it then, hoping you guys are right :monster:

Slothy
01-22-2014, 02:21 AM
Making me wish I had more money guys.

escobert
01-22-2014, 04:23 AM
well I bought it then, hoping you guys are right :monster:

Awesome :) defiantly watch some youtube videos and use the dayzdb.com map. dunno if you can play with me or not.

And good luck out there,
rule #1 of Day Z: Trust Noone. A lot of people are killing on sight right now.
rule #2 don't get attached to your gear, you will die and lose it. many times.
rule #3 eat and drink as much food as you can. just because it doesn't say thirsty or hungry doesn't mean you're full. Don't eat rotten fruit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aek5_Dfkm9E

Jiro
01-25-2014, 05:29 AM
I woke up on a beach. I headed for the first signs of civilisation, and followed a road inland towards Berezino. There was a parking garage under construction; here I found an orange mountain backpack and another smaller blue backpack. I left the blue backpack in the open, in case anyone else stumbled upon it.

As I was leaving the parking garage, I found an axe. A useful weapon against whatever sought to hurt me.

I wandered throughout Berezino, looting as I went. I repeatedly called out to survivors, but there were none nearby, and so I took what I could. Medpacks, some sardines, a dozen sodas. I found two books -- classics -- and held onto them, just in case. I would need something to pass the time whenever I found somewhere adequate to hole myself up. I replaced my torn shirt with a nice grey checked one; it had some pockets which meant I could carry a little more.

I headed north east. Three tall buildings stood out to me, and I headed toward them, keeping on the road except for temporary departures to check houses for supplies. Once I read the buildings, giant apartment blocks, I quickly headed inside, checking each room as I went. Nothing. Everything was empty. I checked the second building; the same. At the top I noticed a ladder leading to the roof: maybe I could scope out my next destination from there. I was right; to the east/northeast were more buildings and a lumber mill. It would bring me back to the coast, but having the sea nearby was comforting.

Then it happened. I slipped and fell down the ladder, breaking my leg. I was surprised to still be alive, but in agony. Immediately I used a morphine auto injector I'd found. I didn't want to get addicted to painkillers, but I couldn't stay here in this empty building -- I was already out of food and this place had already been cleared of anything useful.

I walked -- how, I'm not sure -- past the lumber mill, checking houses. A few times I had to stop and take more painkillers. And then I saw someone standing on the road. I paused, trying to determine whether or not they were... human. I heard a voice, a human voice, but I couldn't quite make it out. I raised a hand in salute, letting them know I was friendly.

"Stupid gun must be broken," I heard him say. What? I walked closer, hoping to speak with this stranger. Then, suddenly, an undead monster appeared from a nearby lot and attacked him.

"Watch out!" I said, and hurried over, axe drawn, to assist. The stranger ran, and I soon had to stop, pain overcoming me again. After a few moments, I continued onwards, trying to find more supplies -- at this rate, I would exhaust my supply of painkillers well before my leg had healed at all. And I was starting to get unbearably hungry.

I ducked in and out of houses, but there was no food. As I cleared one house, I stood against the doorway, watching sun overhead.

Then a bullet struck the door frame. That no good fucking bandit :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I immediately took cover, closing the door behind me, and exiting through the rear entrance. I considered hunting him, putting my axe into his predatory neck, but I had no idea where he was and the sun was against me. Instead, I headed in land again. I wasn't from around here, but I knew there was an airstrip to the northwest; maybe I could find people, friendly people, or supplies. If nothing else, it took me away from my hunter, and through more settlements.

I went, agonisingly, and found no food. My body was starting to shutdown. I found a pair of winter hunting pants which I traded for my jeans; the pockets were bigger, so if -- when -- I found food, I would be able to hold even more and avoid this situation. But each house was empty, and although drinking soda eased my pain a little, I was already delirious. All the colour had faded from the world.

I reached the airstrip, near blind. All I could do was call out for assistance. I could not hear anybody. I checked inside the buildings. Boots. More backpacks. Some rifle scopes. I climbed the airtraffic tower and found a canteen; one swig of water was all that was left, but it felt glorious.

Then I heard some noise downstairs. Someone was there! "Help!" I cried. "I need some food. I'm nearly blind here."

Nothing. I headed down and saw them, ducking in and out of rooms, taking stuff, and then leaving. They... didn't care. They didn't even acknowledge me. I wasn't as fast as them, and lost them somewhere in the air field. Defeated, I felt like keeling over and dying there. But I couldn't. I wouldn't.

I headed north east. Or at least, I thought I did. I knew Svetlojarsk was somewhere in that direction. I figured I would find a road and follow it. A big city like that was bound to have food left, right?

For what seemed like an age I wandered on dirt tracks and roads. I kept checking a map I had found, but I couldn't tell where I was. My vision had faded so badly that I couldn't even tell where the sun was -- I had no idea which was east and which was west. And so I ran on, as fast as my weary body could take me, having consumed everything -- painkillers, antibiotics, soda, water, everything -- until at last my body quit on some backwater road in the middle of nowhere.

Slothy
01-25-2014, 06:22 PM
That is awesome Jiro.

Jiro
01-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Another time I headed south west, towards Electrosomethingorother. Electrovorskov or something Russian. My friend and I were communicating via walkie talkie; he called it Electrobuzz. Anyway, along the way I found a boy trapped in a man's body. He asked me to put my axe away and introduced himself as a hero, and explained the way the world works.

We passed some survivors on the way who were friendly but didn't want to work together. Then, we encountered one who decided to start trying to punch my new companion to death. I swung my axe but he was running around screaming that he'd been shot at first. My friend put him down... a sad state of affairs in this new world. I stole the dead man's shirt and tore it into rags in case I got hurt.

Somewhere along the way we were separated, but I found myself in Kamyshovo (or something). Here, on the walkie talkie, I listened to my friend ask a passerby to punch him to death. The stranger assisted in his suicide while remarking about the state of the world where a man kills another man for his shirt.

Burdened with the sounds of my friend laughing as he was dying, I continued westward toward Electrobuzz. I looked in some buildings, but they had mostly been looted already. Eventually I stumbled upon a power plant. I could hear voices, so I walked towards where I thought they were, hoping to see if they were friendly. I climbed atop the power plant and noticed two men standing there talking.

They were significantly better equipped than I was. One of them panicked, but I couldn't make out what he said. Rather than risk conflict, I decided to give them some space. I turned around, ready to climb down.

But apparently I had become retarded. I failed at climbing, and fell about three storeys into the concrete. The last thing I heard before I bled out was one of the men saying "you should take his axe, it's in better condition than yours."

escobert
01-26-2014, 01:16 AM
heh, yeah I always go by I'd rather run then find out if you're nice or not. there's a lot of kill on sight bandits around. if I'm equally equipped I'll approach but otherwise I'm outta there.

Jiro
01-26-2014, 08:12 AM
having an axe is pretty good though, apparently kills in like 2 hits, so if I get the jump on them, woo

escobert
01-26-2014, 08:19 PM
firefighter axe takes zeds in one hit most times. took 2 or 3 hits for me to kill a geared up guy with one.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-03-2014, 06:24 AM
I had read Jiro's description of his time playing so I thought I'd give it a go. I just decided to hit play as soon as it was done downloading to see what things were like, starting me as a dark skinned woman with a gray shirt and blue jeans. I probably should have looked at the controls and such beforehand. Oh well.

I started at some coastal area and was immediately thirsty. I ran to a near house to try to look for any supplies. A stranger happened to see me run into the house and came in after me a moment later. The guy looked at me and said hey and then left the house. I moved into the kitchen area, not finding anything. Then the guy came back with a friend. They then proceeded to handcuff my character and kept telling me to take off my pants. I just stood there and did nothing. They kept repeating themselves. This lasted for about five minutes until one of them pulled out a knife and stabbed me until I died. I have no idea what's going on.

escobert
02-03-2014, 12:22 PM
get inland and get an axe asap. The coast line is where the spawn zone is and bandits like to hurt little bambis like you. If you see me on tonight join up with me and I'll get you inland to a safer town. also the DayZ Forums are a great place for info! there are lots of mechanics in the game that aren't working yet. so some items seem like they have a use but really don't. IE vitamins and alcohol tinctures.

this song makes me think of DayZ lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEHHh8IBhpY

Jowy
02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
my roommate was playing this for a good solid twelve hours yesterday. I came into his room around 8:30 PM and scared the ever living shit out of him.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-04-2014, 11:13 PM
This time was a bit better. I started on the beach and immediately ran inland. Over some time I came across some buildings which provided me with a backpack, a good assortment of food, new boots, a couple of water bottles, and an ax. There were some running in between different clumps of buildings to gather these up, but I felt pretty good. I filled my water bottles, killed a zombie, and was on my way. After running around for a long time not running into anything, I came across another small clump of buildings. I decided to explore until I saw someone at the door I was about to walk out of. He retreated and I knew he was trying to get behind me or trap me. I found a different door only to have him be coming around the corner and seeing me as I was trying to sneak off. I took off running into the trees thinking that maybe I could loose him there. Unfortunately, there's a lot of space in between the trees and that really didn't do me any good. I kept weaving between trees and running in different directions, but I could always see him behind me in the distance, running after me. He was a good enough distance away that I came up with an idea. There seemed to be a small pond, and I thought maybe I could lie down in the pond and hide there. Unfortunately, the water was more shallow than I thought and my backpack was sticking out pretty heavily. The guy came around the side of the pond and started walking towards me. I tried to get up so I could start running again or get out my ax to defend myself. My guy was slow in getting up and the guy immediately knocked me unconscious with his ax. I lay there unconscious for a few minutes before I decided to quit.

escobert
02-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Yeah sadly the community isn't the greatest. and the bandits haven't helped with people KOsing. put your fists up before you doubletap w to run. you will run 35% faster. Also eat everything you find, waste of space to carry it. I only carry one can of beans just in case. Drink water from fountains until you're full. Your character is not "healthy" until is says so in your inventory from getting your food and water levels up. And you will not regain blood until you are "healthy" or do a saline/blood transfusion. You need a helper for these and you must know your blood type and donors type to do a transfusion.

I generally play on the USeast servers 1-58 mainly unless it's super populated.

Jiro
02-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Figuring out the game is a pain in the ass. There are a bunch of tricks to it but most of them you find out by chatting with experienced players like bert. Server hopping once you make it to a good loot area is a good way to find stuff, but man my games are very hit/miss.

escobert
02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Yeah and server hopping is frowned upon (I still do it) also can be a risky, military areas are almost always ill on sight.

I'm willing to answer any questions! I'm still new as well I just watch lots of videos, play with a clan and read the DayZ forums everyday.

Skyblade
02-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Yeah and server hopping is frowned upon (I still do it) also can be a risky, military areas are almost always ill on sight.

Sure it's frowned on. But I guarantee that every jerk who is massively more equipped than you and kills you for fun has server hopped themselves, no matter how much they may complain about it.

escobert
02-06-2014, 02:40 PM
For the most part yes but there are a lot who claim to not. If I die legit then I wont server hope but, if I die by bug or some kos asshat sitting in some trees for hours just waiting for someone to run by, then I'll server hop to get geared back up again. But, once you get all kitted out with tactical vest and M4A1 and all that good stuff, there isn't much to do besides get with a group and go fight it out with bandits in elektro.

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2014, 03:24 PM
I always enjoyed watching Frankie's DayZ videos. Always wanted to play this game, but I can't. :(

moar storeez plz

escobert
02-08-2014, 06:29 AM
After a week of traveling the barren landscape alone I came across a group of 4 young British men in the small coastal town of Balota. They were surprisingly well versed in the nonsense of a language I've found all over this god forsaken place. The five of us traveled together to through the empty cities of Chrnogorsk and Elektrozavodsk. No sign of any survivors in these cities. We made small talk along the way, they asked where in the states I was from. I was just thankful they weren't bandits. I'd seen enough of those. One nearly shot my leg off 6 nights ago at a airfield!

We came to the small village of Kamyshovo. Here we decided to look about for any survivors and see if we could assist them. But sadly, no one in sight. We stayed in town for the night, collecting cans of beans and tuna where we could find them.

The next morning we decided to journey more north. There must be more survivors! WE set off along the coastal road toward the town of Solinchniy. After a bit of travel and joking we finally made it. And whats this? A survivor looking for help!? two of my new friends went up to the hillside with their bolt action rifles to provide the three of us with shorter range guns cover while we made contact with the survivors. This young Asian woman seemed friendly enough but, I don't think she could understand our English. She waved at my friend but as soon as I turned the corner she pointed at me then sprinted full seed at me fists coming for my face! Luckily her fists were no match for my silenced M4A1. My new friends spoke of stories they had heard of survivors with super strength who could knock a fully armed group out in a mater of punches! we weren't going to let that happen. We decided to hit the main road and see what we could see. We found a very nice eastern European man who was hiding in a gas station. He had been attacked by some bandits but didn't think they were still in the area. We chatted with him then he was off on his way.

When we made it back to the coast I was suddenly attacked by another little Asian woman! This one took me by surprise and I was knock unconscious. after being revived by my fellows we decided this was not a very safe town and headed into the woods to camp for the night. :)

So yeah, I'm playing with a clan now The Northern Dead. Mainly British guys but there's a few Americans and I think a couple from Turkey. Hopefully I will have some good stories from the adventures we are going to have tomorrow! :D

escobert
02-24-2014, 09:44 PM
So I have now gotten away from relying on military gear. Now I am rocking the little boy blue look :p