PDA

View Full Version : Favorite term for summons

Pumpkin
01-16-2014, 05:31 AM
Aeon, GF, Eidolon, Esper, etc

What is your favorite term for summons? I like Aeon the most, personally.

Skyblade
01-16-2014, 05:53 AM
What's wrong with "summon"? FFVII used the term, after all (along with changing up the usual spell names).

I liked Eidolon, until Fang pronounced it wrong, and used the incorrect term for the plural (it's "Eidola", Fang. Not "Eidolons").

I actually like them all. Pity we don't have a game which has all of them. Espers as another race of magical entities. Eidolons as guardian spirits granted by higher powers. Aeons as human crafted war beasts. Guardian Forces as Persona-like manifestations of thoughts and mental energies (as Griever indicates). It would be awesome.

Vyk
01-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Summoner mass hysteria. I'm down for it. But I generally prefer Espers, as it was my first experience of them being explained beyond being another type of spell. Though I forget what they were called in FF4, I guess they were mildly explained in there as well, since Rydia grew up with them outside of the game's normal timeline

Ayen
01-16-2014, 06:10 AM
It's a toss up between Aeon and Guardian Forces for me. Not just in name, but I like the way the summons are utilize in the stories of both games. Plus with the Guardian Forces initials there are times it feels like you're talking about your girlfriend. SquallxShiva for life!

Skyblade
01-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Summoner mass hysteria. I'm down for it. But I generally prefer Espers, as it was my first experience of them being explained beyond being another type of spell. Though I forget what they were called in FF4, I guess they were mildly explained in there as well, since Rydia grew up with them outside of the game's normal timeline

I believe they were Eidola in that game as well.

VeloZer0
01-16-2014, 06:36 AM
I'm quite sure I heard them called Eidoleons in FF4 DS.

I'm partial to the term "Summons". But I I also think Bolt 3 sounds a million times better than Thundaga, so doesn't look like I'm on the same page as SE.

Skyblade
01-16-2014, 06:56 AM
I'm quite sure I heard them called Eidoleons in FF4 DS.

I'm partial to the term "Summons". But I I also think Bolt 3 sounds a million times better than Thundaga, so doesn't look like I'm on the same page as SE.

I wasn't sure whether to respond with this:

gAvxsuoU0I4

Or this:

D1VF3pwLv2g

So I posted both.

Psychotic
01-16-2014, 07:28 AM
I've always just called them summons no matter what name the game uses :shobon:

Jiro
01-16-2014, 08:09 AM
If I had to choose a favourite it would probably be Esper, though I like most of the terms. I'd prefer they didn't recycle them too often; each name seems to fit in that game's context perfectly. Crossing them seems a little jarring for me, I dunno.

Sephiroth
01-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Summon, Esper, Bestia.

And Fang did not pronounce anything wrong. Square decides the Plural of a fictional word in their worlds. It does not need to have our official laws of pluralization.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-16-2014, 04:15 PM
It's a toss up between Aeon and Guardian Forces for me. Not just in name, but I like the way the summons are utilize in the stories of both games. Plus with the Guardian Forces initials there are times it feels like you're talking about your girlfriend. SquallxShiva for life!

I would always get really disappointed when people would talk about their GF and I'd realize they weren't talking about Guardian Forces.

I like all the names for various reasons. I might go with Eidolon just because it's a fun word to say.

Shorty
01-16-2014, 07:04 PM
I've always just called them summons no matter what name the game uses :shobon:

Same for me! They are all essentially summoned, so it's the simplest term to draw across the board for me.

Mirage
01-16-2014, 10:34 PM
What's wrong with "summon"? FFVII used the term, after all (along with changing up the usual spell names).

Summon is something you do. In FFX, you summon aeons, in FF6 you summon espers, etc.

I like aeon, actually, but esper ain't bad either.

Denmark
01-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Subpoena.

Vyk
01-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Some summon summons

Edge7
01-17-2014, 02:22 AM
I like the Espers the most (both FFVI and FFXII's), but when I think of "summons" the first term that enters my head is Eidolon thanks to FFIV DS.

Also, Aeon is a runner up for "incredibly cool name for a summon spirit".

Night Fury
01-17-2014, 03:01 AM
I like Aeon because it sounds really mystical, but then I just kind of call them summons.

Kalevala
01-17-2014, 04:51 PM
I prefer eidolon, mostly for the word's Homeric origins. I'm a big ol' Homer nerd.

But in conversation I usually just refer to them as "summons" because that's a simpler, catch-all term.

Mercen-X
01-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Fang pronounced it wrong, and used the incorrect term for the plural (it's "Eidola", Fang. Not "Eidolons").
???

Adding -aga to Thunder/Fire/Blizzard was never something I approved of. When it comes to summons, I don't prefer any of the terms used thus far... if I had to choose, it'd be between Espers and Aeons.

Skyblade
01-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Fang pronounced it wrong, and used the incorrect term for the plural (it's "Eidola", Fang. Not "Eidolons").
???

Adding -aga to Thunder/Fire/Blizzard was never something I approved of. When it comes to summons, I don't prefer any of the terms used thus far... if I had to choose, it'd be between Espers and Aeons.

Word pluralization is based on form and usage when the word was integrated into English. Eidolon pluralized into Eidola, not Eidolons.

That said, "Eidolons" is common enough for it to be a perfectly valid form. And the pronunciation that the game used could be argued as technically correct.

But if you're going to use "Eye-Dole-In" over "Eye-Duh-Lon", you should use the Eidola plural, because otherwise, I hate the way the word sounds. It feels unnatural and awkwardly accented.

Mercen-X
01-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Ah.

Shaibana
01-26-2014, 01:34 PM
nomather what game, i always just call them Summons.
i did not like GF becaus in my mind that will always be a short for Girlfriend :P

Eidolon? naa, its a cool name but it just doesnt cut it for me

Mercen-X
01-27-2014, 07:00 AM
I don't remember being fond of the term. Aeon kind of made sense. Esper, sort of. Eidolon feels like they were trying to say Idols which feels like a cowardly way of saying Gods. Terms I'd like to see used include Seraphim and Nephilim and perhaps Theos.

Carl the Llama
01-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Eidolon, pronounced eye-doh-lon.