PDA

View Full Version : Would you play?

Mercen-X
01-16-2014, 10:01 PM
The question has been asked an innumerable amount: What games do want remakes/sequels for?

Much of the time, we have an equal amount of naysayers who don't want remakes/sequels to anything, so pessimistic as to believe any attempt will fall short of their expectations and destroy the love they had for the original.
But for the sake of argument, let's assume you have no say in the matter. The company's gonna put out a remake/sequel to this game no matter how much you whine about it.

I would assume many naysayers would go ahead and play these games just for the lark of it. But which games would you allow yourself to believe in? To get a little excited over? If a slew of sequels and remakes washed ashore, which games would you grab up over the others? Which games do you think would stand a chance of being good if not Personally, one I would definitely play is a sequel or remake to Crystalis.

Sephiroth
01-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Remake:

Final Fantasy V, VI, VII
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana

Sequel:

Final Fantasy VII
Nier Gestalt

Skyblade
01-17-2014, 01:17 AM
It depends on how expensive the remakes are. If I can afford them I'll probably play them, unless they are shoddily done.

I don't actually think that ill of remakes. There are tons of games I would love to play with updated graphics and controls, and it would allow us to channel the "polish all the aesthetics of a game above everything else" that currently pervades the industry into something worthwhile. They don't have to worry about story or solid basic mechanics when working from a great game, they just need to make it prettier. We can leave actual game development to the studios that are producing good games.

Mo-Nercy
01-22-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty wary of remakes. For every single person that wants it, one is ready to fire with harsher criticisms. FFVII is a big example of a game that seems to get a lot of demand for remaking, and I'm honestly against it. Square has little to gain and a lot to lose if they did go for it. I can already imagine the flames they'd cop over every little change..

Having said that I think the new Tomb Raider is awesome and DmC was solid without being spectacular.

I suppose Chrono Trigger wouldn't be a bad game to remake. It's got a great story worth retelling and the battle system in the original is already real-time-esqe enough to be reworked into something fans of modern day 'action'-RPG games would enjoy without drawing too much criticism from the oldbies.

Edit: Tales of Phantasia would be pretty cool to see updated too.

Bubba
01-22-2014, 03:33 PM
I would just like Shadow of the Colossus to be done again with the camera control done properly instead of smurfing backwards :argh:

Rostum
01-22-2014, 10:17 PM
I'd love an FFV and VI remake done in the style of FFIII and IV for the DS (although they would be higher quality if for the 3DS or Vita).

It's not so much a remake, but a remaster of FFVII, VIII and IX that I'd love - keep everything how it is, just re-render backgrounds at HD resolution, improve loading times and any bugs or quirks in the mechanics, record a live orchestra or band's interpretation of music (not just feed the original MIDI files through a new sound engine), and put in new higher quality character models that fit the original design (not like those crappy FFVII PC mods).

They definitely need to make an FFVII sequel, they kind of left it hanging at the end of DoC. Though I'm sure many have different opinions on what that game should be (mine would be another full-blown JRPG).

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross could be remade, they're quite beautiful games! Maybe even a sequel to tie them together better.

I absolutely would love a real-time version of Riven: The Sequel to Myst. There's a fan group currently trying to put something together in Unity, and it's looking pretty amazing. But something official with the resources to pull it off on a commercial-level would be fantastic!

escobert
01-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Since I was never a big console gamer besides the PS1/2, I'd love to see many of the older games remade.

Sephiroth
01-22-2014, 11:36 PM
They definitely need to make an FFVII sequel, they kind of left it hanging at the end of DoC. Though I'm sure many have different opinions on what that game should be (mine would be another full-blown JRPG).

That has been announced anyway in 2008, that the finale of the Compilation needs another form, so not Crisis Core. Then Genesis, Sephiroth and everything. One day the story will be finished.

Karifean
01-22-2014, 11:45 PM
Pretty much anything added to the main FF series. I'd definitely play it.

Also, any addition to Clannad. It's the one saga that convinced me that you can make a sequel to ANYTHING and have it turn out great as long as you do it well. Make more After Stories! After Stories for everybody and everything!

Finally, if Naughty Dog ever decided to make another Crash Bandicoot game, you can be damn sure I'd get that on Day 1. Same would go for a remake collection of the first 3 games (4 with CTR).

Mercen-X
01-23-2014, 11:43 PM
I just recently acquired Alundra 2 after having it Amazon'd. I completed it in roughly four days. I've pretty much acquired everything (trading, Gamar Island, every chest in the game), I just need to finish scoring Bone Dart points in order to construct a Valar shield, but I went ahead and beat the game without it because the Darts would take too long. Actually, I'm still missing too Puzzle Pieces so I haven't unlocked the 5-attack combo yet. Anyway, I had high hopes for this game based on images I saw on the internet, but the first few minutes of play made me wary. The graphics were shoddy, the gameplay felt lazy, and the voice-acting as horrible. But the more I played, the more I began to appreciate the camp of the story. I also like the various puzzles that require real thinking to solve. I was embarrassed multiple times to find myself stumped for awhile by a puzzle that should have been obvious.

Still, the point is, I would buy a remake of this game with updated graphics and voice-acting. Also hit-detection has got to be tweaked and a puzzle-reset should be available as one of Flint's starting items. There were multiple instances wherein I did something that cut me off from the exit (usually the only way to reset a puzzle) or the reset switch and even one instance where an enemy disappeared into a wall before I could even attack him (there are multiple rooms that require you to defeat all enemies to escape the room).

Aside from that, I would play pretty much any NES game that got a remake including such bits of coal as:
MetalMech, DynoWarz, Wolverine, and Mario Brothers 2 (among others)

I would particularly like to see remakes of:
Crystalis (I would like to be able to equip two swords and two accessories, doubled buttons would be helpful with that), Twin Eagle and Legendary Wings (the old NES controllers are so uncomfortable that five minutes of play cause extreme cramping), Battle of Olympus, Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants

I would also very much like a sequel to Crystalis.

Bolivar
01-24-2014, 04:16 PM
I'll play anything in Metal Gear, main Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, the Elder Scrolls, Valkyria Chronicles, The Witcher or RPGs made by Yasumi Matsuno and Hiroyuki Ito.

I'm probably biased towards remakes since I was spoiled on the excellent Dragon Quest DS remakes, FFIII and Tactics Ogre on PSP. I also like the HD remasters of more recent games with PSN features. Honestly I wish they'd keep 'em comin! What can I say, I'm not a complainer...

As far as long dormant entries I'm still holding Skyblade to his assurances of an Atlus-led Shining Force 4 :D

Pumpkin
01-24-2014, 04:25 PM
I want a Suikoden VI and a Dark Cloud 3

Shorty
01-24-2014, 05:16 PM
I believe that games should be left as they are without remakes. Aspects of the game will inevitably be changed, which compromises the integrity of it for me. It's nice to think about what could be done if we applied all of the graphics and upgrades and modern ideas to old games, but I believe that effort should be focused elsewhere like trying to implement ideas for new games while using these old ones as inspiration, perhaps resulting in sequels instead.

It seems to me that people generally want remakes because they love the game so much and want to see more of it in a better light. To me, remaking a game will make it something different because I do not trust anyone to not give in to temptations to tweak and alter their creation in an attempt to improve it. Authors do this with rewrites, filmmakers do this with movies (looking at you, George Lucas). Things become altered and it bugs the trout out of me.

Quit while you're ahead, leave it alone, and just love it for what it is.

Mercen-X
01-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Do you hold this same opinion of games you've never been able to play, like say, Final Fantasy III?
Personally, I don't give a rat's left nipple that I'll never be able to play the original because I like the remake the way it is.
I also have no problem with multiple remakes if the company can eventually get it right. If they do a good enough job the first time, I'll simply ignore the subsequent remakes. In film, I think they should remake the NES movies like Double Dragon and Mario Bros. Just because a game's premise doesn't make any real-world sense doesn't mean you can't make a decent movie from it. Mario Bros was world's better than Double Dragon despite the fact the Double Dragon game had a more believable premise.

I saw images online of a Double Dragon (NES) remake that looked very promising. It was on PSN and XBL. I want to play it, I just don't have the systems for it.

Shorty
01-24-2014, 08:32 PM
I think I own a copy of FFIII for Nintendo, and I definitely have it on my phone. I haven't played it and I wasn't aware there was an original, and I don't know what copy I have or how the game itself has been altered in any way, so I can't answer you there.

As for being able to play - to what degree are you referencing? The game originally created in another language, or restricted to operating on a specific console? Making a game more readily available to be played by a wider range of gamers is different than remaking it to improve it. I am not opposed to the former.

Mercen-X
01-26-2014, 11:00 PM
The DS version of 3 as far as I know, pretty much only gives all of the Warriors of Light names and backstories.

Electroshock Therapy
02-06-2014, 02:05 AM
The only game I truly want a sequel for is one that will only happen when hell freezes over. Or whenever Capcom gets back on their feet. Whichever comes first (personally, my money's on the former).

MegaMan Legends 3.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 01:12 AM
At the moment the answer to this question seems to be X-3 after I had a month cool off period. Chances are I'll have more fun with the speculating and talking about what they could do then what would actually be made. Ah well, it keeps my imagination flowing.

As for sequels, I've been keeping an eye on F.E.A.R. Online as I want to see that series continue and hopefully heal any wound that 3 may have caused with the fanbase. Right now it seems to be stuck in the alpha stage.

I've seen some remakes that were well made. Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and while it had its problem, Metal Gear Solid. I can't think of any games I would want to be remade, however.

Mercen-X
02-07-2014, 06:57 PM
An FF7 remake should look like this:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/apz_freak/cloudbattlemodel5.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/apz_freak/uncreativity.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/apz_freak/sephyfieldwip.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/apz_freak/SephyManyFAce.jpg

lol

Ayen
02-07-2014, 07:43 PM
The more I see that wide gaping mouth the more I'm glad I grew up with the PS One version.