PDA

View Full Version : Pete's top 25 videogame random award show!

Pete for President
01-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Following the footsteps of Loony BoB, Necracker, Shion & Sharky and Maybee I would like to welcome you all to my very own top 25 videogame wacky award show! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Predictions for awards and game positions are welcome and I'll totally pretend which game ranks #1 is not obvious at all. So without further ado, here's the kick-off with #25 :greenie:

#25:

Okami

This beautiful title for Playstation 2 has been awarded the following awards:
best wolf-sim
best enemy kitchen environment
"most kick-ass character design"-award
"most naked fisherman”-award

Oh Okami, you did so many things so well. The scenery was amazing. Characters are playful and very creatively designed. Running around like a wolf-god actually felt like running around like a wolf-god. I had a great time just sprinting around blowing stuff up, making things grow, hanging out with the local wildlife, slashing up enemies, setting them on fire, freezing them to death, blowing them away and all the other good stuff.

I was one with nature like a true hippie and it was amazing.

But there is one major flaw with this game I can not forgive; Issun. A prime-example of hold-your-hand game design. Every puzzle gets spoiled and every event is overly explained. I’m surprised no-one on the Clover team could mention that the script might be getting a bit out of proportion. Oh well!

Okami is like a top grade student with an attitude: gets straight A’s but stands in the corner of shame anyway for not keeping quiet.

This character brought Okami the most naked fisherman award:

Next title coming this afternoon!

Pete for President
01-18-2014, 12:04 AM
#24:

Hotline Miami

This brutal indie game has been awarded with:
“Most violent”
“Most player deaths by lead pipes, baseball bats, knives and meat cleavers”
“Best soundtrack to get hyped”
"Most handsome Don Juan"

Hotline Miami is a bare-bone game: chaotic but fun, violent and rude. Taking risks is rewarded not just in points but also in the intensity of the experience. The level design is diverse, well paced and they’ve done a good job making the player feel powerful and vulnerable at the same time. Other than a bit weak AI there’s nothing I can think of Hotline Miami could do better.

I was going to give this spot to Metal Gear Solid 4, but changed my mind. While MGS4 has many memorable moments that had me blown away first time through, they always come with the bad taste of not having the guts to let characters die and cutscenes full of filler. It’s pears and apples, but I honour Hotline Miami for delivering a tight package with huge cohones by giving it the #24 spot.

Hotline Miami allowed to me to let loose like an animal and I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a psychopath.

Slothy
01-18-2014, 12:16 AM
God damn Hotline Miami is amazing.

Jiro
01-18-2014, 02:21 AM
your awards are simply the best I have seen

Bolivar
01-18-2014, 02:22 AM
One of the few indie games to really capture my attention. I'm actually going for the platinum trophy right now and have an A+ on 10 of the 17 or so missions. I'm totally psyched for the next one, it's probably a day one on PS4 & Vita cross-buy for me.

Pete for President
01-18-2014, 03:06 AM
One of the few indie games to really capture my attention. I'm actually going for the platinum trophy right now and have an A+ on 10 of the 17 or so missions. I'm totally psyched for the next one, it's probably a day one on PS4 & Vita cross-buy for me.

I too am hyped for the sequel! I wonder if they stick with animal masks or whether they're going to mix things up.

Jiro
01-18-2014, 03:17 AM
Oh I was reading a thing about the sequel like 30 seconds ago, whoops. It's on a movie set or something, so everyone you kill gets back up after you finish or something? I forget, apologies :monster:

Pete for President
01-18-2014, 06:08 AM
Oh I was reading a thing about the sequel like 30 seconds ago, whoops. It's on a movie set or something, so everyone you kill gets back up after you finish or something? I forget, apologies :monster:

Caught up on the news and apparently some levels are indeed a movie set of a film being shot based on the adventures of the main guy of Hotline Miami 1. But apparently there's also fans of the guy, who go out and re-enact the real deal. Creepy stuff!

#23 coming tomorrow morning!

Ayen
01-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Only know what #25 is because of Shauna. Never heard of the other one.

Pike
01-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Hotline Miami is a delightfully fun (and violent :plotting:) little game. And yeah, great soundtrack.

I imagine it's fairly cheap to pick up as well if anyone is interested!

Slothy
01-18-2014, 01:05 PM
That soundtrack is one of the best things about that game. So 80's, and so much fun.

Ayen
01-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Hotline Miami is a delightfully fun (and violent :plotting:) little game. And yeah, great soundtrack.

That's what I love about indie games. You can get more out of $9.99 or $14.99 than you would paying $59.99 on some games.

Pete for President
01-18-2014, 04:56 PM
I am delighted to see so much love and hype for Hotline Miami :greenie:

#23:

Pokémon Blue

This Gameboy classic has been awarded with:
Best Gameboy game
‘Most Zubats’-award

Nostalgia galore! This game wildly appears on pretty much everyones best games list and for good reason. The journey was epic, filled with challenge, hardship and mostly joy. Squirtle and I took on more adventures then I can remember. I got close, but never did get all 150. This game taught me English language better than my teacher did.

The heart and soul of the Moon Cave dungeon:

Do you remember the sound it makes? I bet you hear it in your head right now!

Pokémon Blue was gold and I don’t think I ever took the game out of that big red clunky Gameboy.

Next game coming this afternoon!

Quindiana Jones
01-18-2014, 05:05 PM
I have no idea what first place will be and the suspense is killing me. ;)

Bolivar
01-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Very nice!

It's free on PlayStation Plus!

I too am hyped for the sequel! I wonder if they stick with animal masks or whether they're going to mix things up.

Yep, as you later posted it's going to be multiple perspectives, including the film, the fans, and the protagonist from the main storyline (although from my understanding of the story he's dead and the motorcyclists ending is the real one).

Pete for President
01-18-2014, 05:30 PM
I have no idea what first place will be and the suspense is killing me. ;)

:D

Yep, as you later posted it's going to be multiple perspectives, including the film, the fans, and the protagonist from the main storyline (although from my understanding of the story he's dead and the motorcyclists ending is the real one).

That wouldn't surprise me at all, as statistically Biker slaughtered me so many times in that boss fight I don't know how the first guy would ever stand a chance.

Pete for President
01-19-2014, 12:23 AM
#22:

Demon's Souls

This bone-crushing RPG for Playstation 3 is awarded with:
"Most innovative multiplayer"
"Most Garl Vinland epic-ness"
"Most honourable knight"
"Most deaths by an old dude with a white beard"

Of course Demon’s Souls is on the list! Having played it’s bigger brother first I jumped into Demon’s Souls with high expectations. What I found was the origin of the innovative elements that hooked me into the series roughly a year before. The scarce amount of NPC’s, their motivations morally grey and intriguing, bosses grotesque and relentless, the well crafted level structures, new challenges around every corner, rewards for both taking risks and thinking things through, and perhaps the most innovative multiplayer options I’ve seen in a videogame.

You'll never know who's beneath the funny hat.

Let's talk bosses.
The Old Monk boss is a perfect example of how progressive this title was. Any other player with the intention of ending your life could take the official form of this boss (including crazy hat), giving the fight a degree of intensity unmatched by any other.

The Dragon King on the other hand marks the low point in my opinion. A powerful dragon, so easily and gimmicky slain really hurts Demon's Souls' credibility. Now that I think of it, every dragon or drake to slay is more a chore rather than a glorious battle. Rough edges like these keep Demon's Souls from getting higher on the list.

Another personal favourite are Maiden Astraea and her brave knight Garl Vinland. More like a drama than an actual fight, I really felt remorse for slaying her protector and herself. Umbasa.

"Go forth, Garl Vinland. May you be unharmed."

Jiro
01-19-2014, 12:31 AM
fucking zubats. I hate them so much they're everywhere.

I really want to try Demon's Souls one day but far out Dark Souls is hard enough for me xD

Ayen
01-19-2014, 04:31 AM
Yay Pokemon Blue! I like Pokemon and blue is my favorite color so naturally I approve of this entry.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-19-2014, 04:46 AM
Blue is my favorite color, and Squirtle - Blastoise is my favorite of the starter Pokemon, but for some reason I think Red is the better version between the two. It's probably just because that's the first one I ever got, though Yellow is truly the best of that generation.

I need to play Demon's Souls one of these days, especially since I own it.

Ayen
01-19-2014, 04:48 AM
I don't get how you weigh one over the other. Red and Blue are basically the same game with different Pokemon.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Like I said, it's probably because it was the version I first got as a kid. I honestly can't weigh one over the other. Although, it was probably the first video game I ever actually got on a computer to research stuff for. I had pages and pages of printouts of pokemon stuff when I was a kid, and I do remember looking into the different pokemon in each version, so I must have liked the pokemon exclusive to Red more, but I don't know.

Pete for President
01-19-2014, 06:07 AM
I used to have that Blue vs. Red argument with my best friend who had red! We traded some Pokémon and man how old school was that system, cable and all :cool:

Next entry coming tomorrow morning!

Pete for President
01-19-2014, 05:32 PM
#21:

Portal / Portal 2

These inter-dimensional games have been rewarded with the following awards:

‘Friendliest evil robots’

‘Biggest lie’

‘Best 4th dimension’

‘Best dressed king’

‘Best potato’

When I saw the first Portal trailer my mind was blown. Literally bending space and time as a game mechanic was mighty impressive and the mind-bending factor grabbed my attention from the get go. It wasn’t until years later that I finally had a decent computer to play it on. Portal was a short but sweet ride. Filled with humour that was both funny and creepy the mind-bending puzzles were challenging and a joy to explore. A cool concept with a cool story without even an ounce of filler or exploitation; I dig.

Psychedelic surreal inter-dimensional hype!

While the first kept things relatively goody-goody, Portal 2 came and showed more guts and more experimentation. The ride was longer and had many twists that had me thinking “I must be close to the end by now”, only to slap me in the face, throw me in another section and keep the adventure going strong. Things never got dull and that’s awesome. Storytelling reached new heights and showed light on the intriguing backstory of the original.

Best dressed king without a doubt.

I wish I had a portal gun.

Ayen
01-20-2014, 01:06 AM
How did Portal not win Best Cake?

Rigged! RIGGED!

Jiro
01-20-2014, 01:14 AM
I loved the Portal games, they're so simple in concept but fucking incredible in execution.

Pete for President
01-20-2014, 02:43 AM
How did Portal not win Best Cake?

Rigged! RIGGED!

Because the cake is a lie!

I loved the Portal games, they're so simple in concept but smurfing incredible in execution.

Word brother.

Pete for President
01-20-2014, 03:22 AM
#20:

SSX Tricky

This out of this world snowboarding title is awarded with:

'Best afro'

'Catchiest tune'

While everybody else was murdering gangsters and hoes in GTAIII I was shredding the gnar in SSX Tricky. It was the first game I bought for PS2 and it was glorious. Despite being a snowboard fan myself I have absolutely no issues with the laws of physics getting thrown out the window. Tricky was ridiculous fun and I played it for months on end to the point where my save file containing 8 out of 12 completely maxed out characters was officially declared holy.

The madness of the Tokyo Megaplex:

Racing in Tricky was the best in the series. The mix of tricks, boost and shortcuts was very well balanced with the difficulty curve and made every final heat a challenge.

There was a friend/rival system depending on which other racers you had punched in the face. I think I had only rivals by the end of it. Knockdown! No regrets.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-20-2014, 03:57 AM
I need to get this game someday. I used to play SSX Tricky at a friend's house every once in a while, and I loved it.

Ayen
01-20-2014, 04:02 AM
Pack this into the bin of the many, many games I have never heard of before.

Quindiana Jones
01-20-2014, 04:12 AM
Never played Tricky, but I loved 3. Those games were the shit. :up:

Pete for President
01-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Pack this into the bin of the many, many games I have never heard of before.

So little time, so much to discover! It's never too late :greenie:

Never played Tricky, but I loved 3. Those games were the trout. :up:

The trout indeed! Although I must admit I haven't tried the PS3/360 reboot SSX so I have yet to find out whether that one deserves the same praise :shifty:

Quindiana Jones
01-20-2014, 07:03 AM
I have. It does not. In every facet imagineable; it does not. :|

Ayen
01-20-2014, 07:09 AM
Pack this into the bin of the many, many games I have never heard of before.So little time, so much to discover! It's never too late :greenie:

Story of my life right there. I imagine you guys are going to have a field day when I'm asking for requests again.

Pete for President
01-20-2014, 05:43 PM
I have. It does not. In every facet imagineable; it does not. :|

That is shameful :(

On with the list!

#19:

Modnation Racers

This creative racer for PS3 has been awarded with:

‘Best race game’

‘Most relentless rocket barrage’

‘Freakiest abominations created by humans to ever to hit a race track’

Mario Kart go home! Modnation Racers is a title overlooked by many in the kart racer department. It’s the most acton-packed game in the genre and had more depth to it too. Choosing whether to use your boost for speed or as a shield meant there was more tactic involved and knowing when to use what gave the game a high degree of “easy to learn, hard to master”. Not to mention all the customisation options: create your own character, your own kart and your own tracks. Story mode had fun challenges to unlock all the goodies for you to go wild with in the creation room. Ooh, collectibles!

Chaos racing galore:

Online racing was a ton of fun and there were rivalries going on in each and every race. Hosting yourself was the way to go though, as disconnecting sore losers could ruin a game with the press of a button. Do I even need to mention how much fun split screen was?

"heheheheheheheheheheehhands"

But what I liked most about Modnation was that the racing felt serious and competitive. Skill and knowledge would bring you victory and luck plays a smaller role here than it does in it’s blue turtle shell competitor. Modnation Racers had action and tension unlike any other kart racer.

Loony BoB
01-21-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I got that game for free and now I'm tempted to bother giving it a go. But knowing how many games I already "need to play"... :erm:

Pete for President
01-21-2014, 05:16 PM
I'm pretty sure I got that game for free and now I'm tempted to bother giving it a go. But knowing how many games I already "need to play"... :erm:

You won't regret it BoB! Especially if you have a partner in crime to split-screen with.

On with the list!

#18:

Super Mario World

This SNES classic has been awarded this big number of awards:

'Most rhino’s on rotating platforms'
'Most enemy football players'
'Most deaths by gravity and supersize bullets'
'Best haunted mansions'
'Creepiest enemy flying clownface machine'
'Least rigidly built castles'
'Best detonation devices'

When I was about 8 years old my two years older brother entered a drawing competition in the Donald Duck magazine. His piece of art brought him home a SNES along with the Super Mario All-Stars collection containing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3, a lost level collection and Super Mario World.

I would be so happy living in this world.

Needless to say we went mental on the thing. Super Mario World was our personal favourite for having a two player option.

Some of these Ghost Houses were crazy mind-bending.

What else can I say? Super Mario World is a timeless classic with phenomenal level design, a ton of secrets, vibrant world and great gameplay.

I was going to post a picture of the final boss but then I came across these dudes.

Bubba
01-21-2014, 05:27 PM
I have been attempting a perfect run through of his game for over 20 years. That is, attempting to find all 96 exits without dying once. The closest I ever came was finding 91 before a fucking Monty Mole caught me in the run-up to Bowser's castle. I was not happy. I generally smurf it up on Special Road though which is damn tricky.

I love game so much. It is a tad on the easy side I feel, although that might be due to the hundreds of hours I've put into it. I'm awesome at this game.

Pete for President
01-21-2014, 05:52 PM
I have been attempting a perfect run through of his game for over 20 years. That is, attempting to find all 96 exits without dying once. The closest I ever came was finding 91 before a smurfing Monty Mole caught me in the run-up to Bowser's castle. I was not happy. I generally smurf it up on Special Road though which is damn tricky.

That is crazy impressive! :eek:

Slothy
01-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Bubba is a super human Mario machine.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-21-2014, 09:54 PM
I've never beaten Mario world :(

Slothy
01-21-2014, 10:00 PM

Get.

Out.

:stare:

Pumpkin
01-21-2014, 10:13 PM
I love the way you're presenting this Pete :jess:

Pike
01-22-2014, 01:18 AM

You can go through Star Road and bypass 85% of the game and still beat it. I recommend getting an emulator just to do that. (And then play the rest of the game too!)

See look at that star right next to Bowser's castle. It's totally possible to beat Bowser like 20 minutes after starting a new game because of this. xD

Pete for President
01-22-2014, 01:26 AM

Priorities brother, get them straight :p

I love the way you're presenting this Pete :jess:

Thank you! I try :greenie:

#17:

Hitman: Absolution

The sharply dressed assassin is awarded with:
‘Baldest main character’
‘Best assassin’
‘Most intense stealth game’
‘Most atmospheric levels’
‘Most knock-outs by plunger’

Hitman: Absolution snuck past my expectations in every department and proudly ranks among the top games of the PS3/360 generation.

Compared to it’s predecessors Absolution’s level structure is probably the biggest change. Separated missions are replaced by one big ride and this is sometimes a well-executed change and sometimes a little random in it’s twists. However, things never get boring and the levels are more atmospheric than ever.

This is a game that shines in higher difficulties where you can really immerse yourself in the role of a professional who gets the job done on his own and in his own way. You’re the mastermind of the assassinations, finding your own solutions and opportunities and the game simply let’s you get creative. Snipe the target from the window? Poison the target’s food? Throw him off the balcony? Pitch a fire axe to the face? You name it, it’s possible. And often glorious.

One of my favourite moments, part 1: hide as a samurai armour on display:

Part 2:

And I love how the game pushes your senses as you stumble across your target while planning and makes you decide: screw the plan and go for it? Or play it cool and bide your time? I loved those panicky moments, rushing to hide a body you hadn’t planned where to hide it beforehand. Such a thrill, so tense.

Who can forget this mission?

I’m looking forward to putting on the infamous red tie again for a rerun.

Jiro
01-22-2014, 01:56 AM
Hitman: Absolution was pretty excellent, but overall I think I still prefer the sandbox type missions of Blood Money. But when Absolution was on fire, it was brilliant

Scotty_ffgamer
01-22-2014, 05:05 AM
I will say that my not beating Mario World is not for lack of trying. It was probably my most played game as a kid. I just sucked at games. I have it on my Wii U and will probably get around to attempting to beat it again. There's a specific place I always got stuck in when I played it. I know there's an alternate exit that I have to go to proceed after that point, but I couldn't figure it out as a kid apparently. I can't remember if I ever tried star road.

To be fair, the only platforming game from the NES/SNES days I've actually beaten is probably Donkey Kong Country. Like I said, I sucked at games.

Pike
01-22-2014, 10:43 AM
You should definitely go to Star Road and then (once you beat all the Star Road levels) go to SPECIAL world in the middle because all of that was the best part of Super Mario World

(except for the second SPECIAL level, fuck that)

Ayen
01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Yay Super Mario World!

Bubba
01-22-2014, 11:54 AM
You should definitely go to Star Road and then (once you beat all the Star Road levels) go to SPECIAL world in the middle because all of that was the best part of Super Mario World

(except for the second SPECIAL level, smurf that)

Smurfing Tubular. That level ended more of my perfect runs then any other. Smurf you, Tubular.

Special Road was indeed awesome though. When I was a kid, I remember leaving the Special Road map screen open for a few minutes and a special reggae version of the Mario theme came on! I was out of my tiny mind with excitement!

Pete for President
01-22-2014, 06:26 PM
How do you get to Star Road again? I forgot :|

Going on with the list in the meantime!

#16:

Final Fantasy Tactics - War of the Lions

This legendary strategy RPG has been awarded with:

‘Best game I played on a borrowed handheld’
‘Also best game I borrowed’
‘Most OP character’
‘Most debatable character motivations (in a good way)’
‘Most characters with dialogue killed in story’

Final Fantasy Tactics is a grand game. It’s setup in both gameplay and story are immense and therefor it’s not really a surprise that chapter 1 seems to me to be the best crafted. I thoroughly enjoyed the other chapters nonetheless but my initial enthusiasm when I dove into the first chapter remained the ultimate highlight.

Delita for president.

But then again, we have Delita. Snap. Delita is one hell of an intriguing character and in the unfair world of Ivalice I often found myself rooting for his devious, extremist, vengeful mastermind schemes.

Death is all over FFT and I'm a sucker for tragedy.

What I praise Tactics most for is it’s guts to make war feel like war. Casualties are heavy and the game doesn’t hesitate to kill off important characters. Tragedy is exactly what hooked me into the story.

A tragic, epic game. Deserves praise!

Bubba
01-22-2014, 06:41 PM
There are five exits to Star Road. Donut Plains, Cheese Bridge Area, Forest of Illusion, Choco Island and Bowser's Castle.

Ayen
01-22-2014, 06:58 PM
A game I have heard so much about and has somehow deluded me all these years. Not surprised to see it make the list.

Pete for President
01-23-2014, 06:17 AM
#15:

Journey

This PS3 game left everyone speechless and therefor deserves the following awards:
‘Best sand dune surfing sim’
‘Best story without words’
‘Most serene’
‘Best stress-release game’

Dim the lights, grab a cup of herbal tea, fire up Journey and go explore this beautifully crafted surreal world and it’s few inhabitants.

Journey is a video game in it’s purest form: there’s no fighting, no competition, no scores, no swearing kids in it’s online multiplayer, there’s not even a single word or use of language to be falsely interpreted by players. Journey is just you, the environment and the controls. I love it.

I love the sand-dune surfing. I love the floaty-flying ability. The soundtrack is a masterpiece and I often listen to it while working or when I’m trying to get to sleep. Not to mention the amazing accomplishment of telling a pretty damn good story without using a single word, and the end of the ride is impressively emotional for the short time we get to bond with our wanderer.

I want to live in this world. I could surf the dunes and gaze at the epic sunsets for all eternity.

I need to play this again soon. SOON!

Ayen
01-23-2014, 09:09 AM
I need to play it period. At least now I have the actual system it's on.

Pike
01-23-2014, 10:24 AM
:( I still don't have a PS3.

Ayen
01-23-2014, 10:28 AM
I'll share my PS3 with Pike. Not sure how I'm going to get her through the internet, but we'll figure something out.

Jiro
01-23-2014, 12:04 PM
fuck don't let me forget to play Journey sometimes

I love FFT btw it's just so fucking slow on my psp

Loony BoB
01-23-2014, 12:11 PM
I want to play this again now, too! I need a little break after three and a half games of Assassin's Creed and I think this will be perfect. I hope to remember to play this in the next few days.

Bubba
01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Yeah, Journey is on my 'to play' list. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Isn't it a pretty short play though length?

Loony BoB
01-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Very short, but I got more out of that short game than I got out of the majority of AAA games I've played in the past decade.

Pete for President
01-23-2014, 04:08 PM
I need to play it period. At least now I have the actual system it's on.

Get it. You won't regret it : )

smurf don't let me forget to play Journey sometimes

I hope to remember to play this in the next few days.

I'll be sure to remind you guys!

Yeah, Journey is on my 'to play' list. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Isn't it a pretty short play though length?

Very short, but I got more out of that short game than I got out of the majority of AAA games I've played in the past decade.

BoB speaks the truth! Also I'd like to add: Journey is best played in one sitting. It's movie length.

Updates on the list will slow down a bit as I have guests over for the week. I'll write whenever I find the time and try to keep things going! In the meantime wild guesses for #14 are allowed.

Loony BoB
01-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Y'no, I don't think Journey can really be played in any way but in one sitting. I've never even considered it.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-26-2014, 06:32 PM
I've played it in multiple sittings before, but it was after I had already played through it a bunch of times. I'd sometimes get on Journey in the few minutes I had between classes in college to destress because of how calming the game is for me.

Although, usually I'd just get on Just Cause 2 and cause havoc for a while in order to destress.

Pete for President
01-28-2014, 01:25 AM
We're back!

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

This sneaky crawly game jungle boogies to the following awards:

‘Best camouflaged’
‘Most violent use of a fork’
‘Most original feeding options’
‘Best crocodile cosplay’
‘Best sniper battle’

Metal Gear Solid 3 sneaks past the competition into 14th place. To be honest I wish I could have placed it even higher because it does amazing things, but I also have a few problems with it.

First up, the good! The broken elbow scene still makes me cringe in a good way. The jungle setting is awesome. I love how the lack of mega technology makes sneaking more primitive. There’s tons of items to gather. I love the option of blowing up weapon and food storages and even a heli to make your journey easier. Enemies have pretty human reactions when shot or scared with a crocodile mask. The fight with the End is the best sniper battle in the series and I also dig every way you can finish or skip the fight. The Fury is another tense and atmospheric fight. I love how the game changes pace when you get out of the jungle. Speaking of which, the pacing in general is phenomenal and so is the level design for every single area - both jungle and building environments.

One of the best bosses ever:

But now the bad. I hate the false promises this game makes. We see Snake CQC like a boss (pun intended) and take rapid shots with inhuman accuracy in cutscenes. But with the controls and mechanics as they are it is impossible to achieve the same level of high pace fighting as previously shown. The game simply doesn’t have Snake’s abilities straight and I consider it a lie. The fight with the Fear isn’t fearsome at all (why the daylight setting for the fight if you just made us walk through the same area in scary nighttime?), and the Pain is pretty lame too. I also never got the final battle, is it even possible to CQC the whole thing? It seems to be intended to, but other options are just so much easier.

Metal Gear Solid 3 does amazing things, but I can’t help but feel it never reached it’s full potential.

Ayen
01-28-2014, 01:52 AM
I still to this day has never managed to beat The End.

Pete for President
01-28-2014, 01:54 AM
I still to this day has never managed to beat The End.

:eek::eek::eek:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD

Slothy
01-28-2014, 02:15 AM
It is possible to CQC the Boss.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-28-2014, 02:28 AM
How long ago did you try to beat him, ToriJ? Considering the answer to that question, it may be worthwhile popping the disk (if that memory card still exists) and trying it out.

Slothy
01-28-2014, 02:37 AM
Considering you can beat the End by either waiting a week or turning the system clock forward, there's no excuse for not beating him.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-28-2014, 04:07 AM
I know this news is important to everyone in this thread who questioned what I was doing with my life: I have now beat Mario World. By that I mean I've beaten Bowser... I by no means beat every level, haha. I will probably go through and try to do that. Currently working my way through the Special stages after Star Road.

Ayen
01-28-2014, 04:08 AM
Came back to it longer than a week and The End was still alive.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-28-2014, 04:13 AM
It may even be a month or so? I know it's at least a couple of weeks you have to wait for that trick. You can also do up down up down left right left right square triangle while looking at your map and it will show you his location if I remember right.

Skyblade
01-28-2014, 05:01 AM
I never got into the series while it was ongoing. When I went back and tried later, I found myself utterly unable to do much with them. Like most PS1 games, it just didn't age well. Clunky and unintuitive controls, and poor explanation for enemy detection. I gave the game up before even finishing the first mission. It was nearly unplayable.

So I never made it to MGS3, even though I own it. And I probably never will.

Pete for President
01-28-2014, 05:45 AM
It is possible to CQC the Boss.

I thought so. How valid is this method on the various difficulty settings? I don't think I was ever able to even on Normal. If at all a valid method to defeat the Boss, I still consider it a game design flaw as countering and actual long CQC fights are pretty much non-existent up to that point. At least I think there's no way to learn how to counter in CQC anywhere else in the game.

I know this news is important to everyone in this thread who questioned what I was doing with my life: I have now beat Mario World. By that I mean I've beaten Bowser... I by no means beat every level, haha. I will probably go through and try to do that. Currently working my way through the Special stages after Star Road.

Congrats brother :greenie: you make us proud!

It may even be a month or so? I know it's at least a couple of weeks you have to wait for that trick.

Yeah it's something like two weeks. I love how they implemented that! Such a unique twist. I also dig how the End never really kills you. Such a friendly dude.

I never got into the series while it was ongoing. When I went back and tried later, I found myself utterly unable to do much with them. Like most PS1 games, it just didn't age well. Clunky and unintuitive controls, and poor explanation for enemy detection. I gave the game up before even finishing the first mission. It was nearly unplayable.

So I never made it to MGS3, even though I own it. And I probably never will.

Interesting. I actually find MGS1 to have the best defined gameplay and most fluid controls. But more on that later... maybe :shifty:

Pete for President
01-28-2014, 05:59 AM
#13:

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater

Tony Hawk was too cool to pick up the following awards:
‘Least realistic skateboard game’
‘Most epic 900’
‘Best hidden tapes’

When my brother and I finally got our hands on Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater all our friends came over and we took turns just free skating the first level for hours straight. Who can forget getting the hidden tapes, S-K-A-T-E, the high scores and gold medals in the competitions?

Could objectives get more punk than this? I mean, smash the boxes!

It’s probably more nostalgia than technically a good game, but the fond memories of passing on the controller and searching hidden tapes put this game on #13.

I tried to find a good picture of the warehouse but failed. Oh man, that first jump. Straight through the window! It was madness.

THPS2 introduced the level editor and it was awesome. After that things went downhill with the series. Bad case of same old and too many. I enjoyed some of them, but the magic of 1 and 2 was never surpassed.

Jiro
01-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Yeah man, I liked some of the later Tony Hawk games but none of them were as magical as the first two. I don't remember which one it was, but that fucking school level was so great for some stupid reason. And the mall. Man. Fucking Tony Hawk, so good.

Also MGS3 was the first one I played and it was uncontrollable and I quit. I played the first one at a friend's place and then sometime after that picked up MGS4 which was alright. Several years later played MGS3 in that anniversary pack or whatever and actually understood the controls. Now that I have a feel for MGS games generally I can appreciate how awesome it is.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is so good. The first one will always be my favorite just because that's the one I owned and played the most, but the second one is fantastic too.

I also want to bring up the soundtrack in this game. I've always loved it quite a bit. Especially this song:

udUCjJphE-0

Slothy
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
MGS1 is a game that still plays almost perfectly. There are very few games with controls that tight and gameplay that well refined. The later games are cool in how much you can actually do and how expansive they are, but as a smooth refined play experience, none of them top the first game.

As for using CQC against the boss, I only know it can be done. I never bothered to do it myself, and as I understand it, she will counter quite a bit, but it can be done.

Ayen
01-29-2014, 02:54 AM
Metal Gear Solid 1 has definitely aged on the visual side of things, but I would hardly call it unplayable. Though I find it interesting that games that are said to have bad controls are things I immediately picked up on as a child.

Jiro
01-29-2014, 03:03 AM
Metal Gear Solid 1 has definitely aged on the visual side of things, but I would hardly call it unplayable. Though I find it interesting that games that are said to have bad controls are things I immediately picked up on as a child.

It doesn't look great but dude I played it like 2-3 years ago and it was great so it's hardly unplayable. It was just really foreign to me at first.

Slothy
01-29-2014, 03:11 AM
It really is one of a pretty small number of 3D games from that era that still plays amazingly well. Probably because the gameplay is more 2D than 3D, but still very, very playable. Few games ever hold up that well.

Pete for President
01-29-2014, 03:49 AM
Yeah man, I liked some of the later Tony Hawk games but none of them were as magical as the first two. I don't remember which one it was, but that smurfing school level was so great for some stupid reason. And the mall. Man. smurfing Tony Hawk, so good.

Oh yeah, the school level was awesome. i think that was 2. I remember "wallride the 5 school bells" as an objective, it was super hard. Sick level though, probably the one I free skated most in 2. The mall was 1 right? Kinda like a downhill, pretty sick too!

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is so good. The first one will always be my favorite just because that's the one I owned and played the most, but the second one is fantastic too.

I also want to bring up the soundtrack in this game. I've always loved it quite a bit.

I think the soundtrack is the one department THPS was never a letdown! Nostalgia man, nostalgia!

Jiro
01-29-2014, 04:01 AM
I spent last night listening to both games' soundtracks

Scotty_ffgamer
01-29-2014, 05:21 AM
It's hard for me to remember what levels I liked best. I think there is a school level in both games. The bell thing sounds like it's in the second game. The second game also has a cool hanger area you could find if I remember right, and I liked that a lot.

The first game has Roswell which I was obsessed with as a kid. The only other level that really sticks out in my mind right now is Downhill Jam, and that's just because that level is so hard to get all the secret tapes for.

Quindiana Jones
01-29-2014, 07:44 AM
THUG was always my favourite Tony Hawks game. :)

Pete for President
01-29-2014, 04:15 PM
It's hard for me to remember what levels I liked best. I think there is a school level in both games. The bell thing sounds like it's in the second game. The second game also has a cool hanger area you could find if I remember right, and I liked that a lot.

The first game has Roswell which I was obsessed with as a kid. The only other level that really sticks out in my mind right now is Downhill Jam, and that's just because that level is so hard to get all the secret tapes for.

Ohyeah, the hangar with the secret room that had the helicopter which would take off when you grind it. Pretty epic!

THUG was always my favourite Tony Hawks game. :)

I think I enjoyed THUG too but I don't remember much of it. Was that the fifth game? I believe it has a song of one of my favourite underground bands in it; Hey Hey Hey by the Riverboat Gamblers, that was a cool surprise.

Pete for President
01-30-2014, 01:43 AM
12:

Hitman: Blood Money

The cold killer took these awards without anyone noticing:
‘Best suit’
‘Most lethal Santa Claus’
‘Most perverted guard’
‘Most furious rise from the dead’
‘Most satisfying ending’

I only picked up Hitman: Blood Money about a year ago in anticipation for Absolution. While technically not the most solid game in the top 25, Blood Money has enough soul to rank among the best.

Comedy, tragedy, creativity and exploration is what makes this installment great. Every mission is very unique in setting and situations, and the total freedom of however to complete it makes every single one a joy to play. Possibilities are often only limited to your own imagination and whether you want to be the badass sniper, a spy in disguise or make throwing kitchen knives your signature kill: every option is satisfying to explore. Walking around the levels scoping out the possibilities just sparks this gamer enthusiasm in me. You never know what you’ll find: a useful object, unique dialogue, an awkward situation or a panty sniffing perv guard.

To be honest, if I were to play a Hitman game again it would probably be Absolution. But what pulled Blood Money higher up the list is the ending.

Killed with an injection by your own employer as part of her grand scheme, you lie on your death bed as a trophy of your enemy. Surrounding you are all the people who plotted so hard to have you dead. Ready to get cremated, your former boss and killer who only pretended to have defected places your signature guns on your chest, and secretly injects the antidote.

As the credits roll and the exit music plays, your heartbeat gets stronger with every move of the joystick. It gets stronger and stronger until the iconic contract killer finally wakes up from the dead with guns in hand. Being in the heart of the enemy and furious about what has been done to you, you leave no witnesses.

A phenomenal ending and one of my most memorable moments in video game history.

Jiro
01-30-2014, 02:28 AM
Blood Money is my favourite Hitman game for sure. So awesome. That ending.

I think my favourite mission is a toss up between the theatre and that christmas party. Shooting the glass bottom pool and tossing the dude off the balcony is great, and the whole switcharoo with the prop gun is just excellent.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-30-2014, 02:41 AM
I've never played the Hitman games. This is making me think I should try them out though!

Pete for President
01-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Blood Money is my favourite Hitman game for sure. So awesome. That ending.

I think my favourite mission is a toss up between the theatre and that christmas party. Shooting the glass bottom pool and tossing the dude off the balcony is great, and the whole switcharoo with the prop gun is just excellent.

I really enjoyed the christmas party indeed! Other favourites are the one with the FBI and witness protection program and the one with the wedding and alligators.

I've never played the Hitman games. This is making me think I should try them out though!

Blood Money should be real cheap by now, and Absolution probably is reasonably priced too! Getting them for PC on Steam is probably your cheapest bet.

They're well worth checking out and I would recommend playing Absolution first. Blood Money may seem a little outdated to get into.

Jiro
01-30-2014, 09:28 AM
actually yeah every mission on Blood Money was pretty fucking excellent. wow

Quindiana Jones
01-30-2014, 10:25 AM
My favourite of the whole series. If you asked me to choose my favourite level, I would simply have to list them all in chronological order, because there is not a single duff moment or opportunity in this game. Bloody love it.

I didn't know about the canon ending until my third playthrough, however, making me the dunciest dunce in Duncetown. :|

Loony BoB
01-30-2014, 12:00 PM
I may just have to play one of these Hitman games eventually.

Quindiana Jones
01-30-2014, 12:21 PM
If I recall, you're a fan of stealth games, BoB. If so, you must at the very least play Absolution. Hitman games are all about exploring your surroundings and developing an intricate plan of attack as you go through.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-30-2014, 02:13 PM
I'd rather play Blood Money first, especially if it is more dated. I can handle more dated controls and such, but it would be harder to get into if I start with Absolution probably.

Bolivar
01-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Blood Money is one of those games I got for practically free off a Steam sale but never booted it up yet... I might have to check it sooner rather than later as Peters rec is just the latest in a long line of praise I've heard for the game..

Pete for President
01-30-2014, 03:45 PM
My favourite of the whole series. If you asked me to choose my favourite level, I would simply have to list them all in chronological order, because there is not a single duff moment or opportunity in this game. Bloody love it.

I didn't know about the canon ending until my third playthrough, however, making me the dunciest dunce in Duncetown. :|

Hah! I too let the credits roll until the end first time around.

Thinking of the chronological order, man this game has a well balanced learning curve.

I'd rather play Blood Money first, especially if it is more dated. I can handle more dated controls and such, but it would be harder to get into if I start with Absolution probably.

Ah, fair enough! Can't go wrong with playing them in order :greenie:

Blood Money is one of those games I got for practically free off a Steam sale but never booted it up yet... I might have to check it sooner rather than later as Peters rec is just the latest in a long line of praise I've heard for the game..

Please don't let this classic wither away in your backlog :cry:

Pike
01-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Awww yiss Blood Money. Best Hitman for sure!

I think it's in my Steam account somewhere and if so I need to replay it.

Pete for President
01-31-2014, 03:39 PM
#11:

Tom Clancy's HAWX

The supersonic fighter jet game boosts away with the following awards:
“Best online dogfights. Period.”

I don’t believe anyone else on EoFF has ever played this game. When my beloved Ace Combat series switched to 360 exclusive with Fires of Liberation, I picked up HAWX for PS3.

HAWX is by no means the best game ever made. The main campaign had a pretty good first half, but the second half missions were uninspired and felt like filler. I don’t even remember the ending. The multiplayer seemed lacklustre too. Featuring only one game mode - 4 vs 4 team deahmatch - it seemed like HAWX was rushed and unfinished.

But this barebone multiplayer mode surprised me like no other online multiplayer had before. It was simple, but it was online dogfighting at it’s best. Overwhelmed by missiles flying, point streaks being called in and furballs all over the place it quickly became clear that skill was all that mattered here. I was hyped and I practiced and played and practiced until I ranked among the top dogs. Even though players were few, there were other fanatics just like me. The best player on the enemy team would get highlighted when targeted and he/she would immediately become my rival. More often than not it was mutual, and when that happened it seemed like the other scrub pilots weren’t even there. Being the best was all that mattered and that could only be settled ace versus ace. By the end of it I often recognised rival pilots I encountered before when entering a room. We had a small, dedicated community of ace rivalry and it was glorious.

"Ali g has joined the game"

I have fond memories of being the ace dominating the skies of HAWX and I’m looking forward to the next jet fighter title to bring back that feeling :cool:

Jiro
02-01-2014, 06:06 AM
The only flying game I ever really got into was Crimson Skies. Something about flying is like, too much at once. So tough.

Bubba
02-01-2014, 10:21 AM
I think this one passed me by. The screenshots look great though.

I think the last flight simulation game I played was Pilotwings on the Super Nintendo :shobon:

Pete for President
02-03-2014, 02:56 AM
The only flying game I ever really got into was Crimson Skies. Something about flying is like, too much at once. So tough.

That's probably why I like flight games brother!

I think this one passed me by. The screenshots look great though.

I think the last flight simulation game I played was Pilotwings on the Super Nintendo :shobon:

That is old school. I bet hawx is dead cheap by now, but the multiplayer must be dead. Not too sure if I would recommend it for that reason, and there may be another title on this list I would. More on that later : )

Slothy
02-03-2014, 03:30 AM
Could not get into HAWX myself. But if any title from the flight series I'm very much into shows up later then it's all good. I won't name names because I don't want to steal your thunder and it's a safe bet the game you're referring to is from this series.

Pete for President
02-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Could not get into HAWX myself. But if any title from the flight series I'm very much into shows up later then it's all good. I won't name names because I don't want to steal your thunder and it's a safe bet the game you're referring to is from this series.

I think you are thinking what I am thinking. Be patient though, it's pretty high up :D

Ayen
02-03-2014, 05:20 PM
I read that as Tony Hawk and got confused when I looked at the picture.

Pete for President
02-03-2014, 05:20 PM
#10:

Vagrant Story

This classic underdog RPG takes the following awards with great honour:
‘Best PS1 RPG’
‘Best sound design’
‘Most girly names for male characters and that’s ok’
‘Most crafty weapon upgrade system’
‘Best great hammers & great axes’

When I was 12 years old I borrowed Vagrant Story from a friend. I ventured into Lea Monde and bravely fought my way through the first few areas where I was blown away by both the creepiness and awesomeness. Unfortunately my poor English at the time left me completely clueless about the weapon system and the Ogre boss halted my progress. I literally had no idea what I was doing with my axes and swords.

For ten years the game lingered in the back of my head as that awesome RPG I couldn’t beat. But then it showed up on the PSN and I plotted my revenge. It all made sense now and with great joy and anxiety I once again traversed the dark world of Lea Monde. The sigh of relief when finding a save point, that merciful feeling when coming across a workshop, or even that moment of joy of finally rising to the surface where the sun is shining after spending hours and hours in the dark depths all made this game truly memorable.

Who is friend and who is foe? Tragedy and intrigue mark this boss battle.

The characters and their dark mysteries are intriguing and the game is not afraid of taking them through unexpected plot twists. The balance between dungeon crawling, puzzling, cutscenes and crafting in the workshops makes for awesome pacing. The ending left me satisfied too, and I really sympathised for the character the game makes you believe is the enemy for 95% of the story.

I really admire this classic RPG.

Ayen
02-03-2014, 05:22 PM
You know what's great about the PS1? The fact you can spot a PS1 game from a mile away.

Pete for President
02-03-2014, 07:24 PM
You know what's great about the PS1? The fact you can spot a PS1 game from a mile away.

Atmosphere over graphics brother, Vagrant Story was really good looking at the time and the atmosphere they have created still works to this day.

Ayen
02-03-2014, 07:58 PM
I probably should have phrased my post better, but I wasn't knocking it. I just honestly preferred back when you could tell which game came for what. PS1 and N64 games had their own look that was unique for that system. Nowadays I honestly don't see a difference even between the exclusives.

Pete for President
02-03-2014, 09:37 PM
I probably should have phrased my post better, but I wasn't knocking it. I just honestly preferred back when you could tell which game came for what. PS1 and N64 games had their own look that was unique for that system. Nowadays I honestly don't see a difference even between the exclusives.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I guess nowadays only wii/wii-u titles are sometimes distinguishable.

Pete for President
02-04-2014, 03:24 PM
#9:

SSX3

This insanely big snowboard game grabbed the following awards mid-air:
'Most awesome mountain experience'
'Biggest tricks'
'Most epic peak to bottom race'
'Most fire coming from a snowboard'

With Tricky already on #20 we have SSX3 cranking everything up to level insanity and comes in at #9. The biggest difference compared to it’s predecessor is the freedom you get in conquering the mountain. Races, challenges, collectibles, freestyle events: while you shred the slopes you come across all kinds of things to do. Believe it or not, it makes for a lot more life-like mountain experience.

Go where ever you want to go, whatever you want to do. Things are cruisy here:

In the winter of 2011/2012 I spent three months in Whistler Blackcomb, BC, Canada. This is one of the biggest ski areas in the world and here I noticed where the inspiration for SSX3 came from. Coming down from the peak all the way to the bottom feels very similar to the game. You start out at the rocky peaks, then move down into the trees, you pass the freestyle terrain park and border cross, and finish in a run that ends right in the heart of the village. Like the game, this takes anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes depending on what route you take. How awesome is that?
Even the game’s radio host sounds exactly like the host on the official Whistler Mountain FM.

LET'S GET THAT SUPER UBER! Also: "Ooh, colours!"

I only wished there was a higher difficulty setting for the races. Other than that SSX3 gets a near perfect score.

Bubba
02-04-2014, 04:32 PM
I only ever played the first SSX on PS2 but it was ridiculous amounts of fun. The only other snowboarding game I'd played was the mini-game from FFVII.

It was a bit of a step up!

Skyblade
02-04-2014, 05:02 PM
I only ever played the first SSX on PS2 but it was ridiculous amounts of fun. The only other snowboarding game I'd played was the mini-game from FFVII.

It was a bit of a step up!

I know, right? FFVII had the best snowboarding ever. They could have made it a full game.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-05-2014, 04:30 AM
I just picked up Vagrant Story. We'll see if I like it as much as you!

I really need to play some of the SSX games again someday.

Pete for President
02-05-2014, 05:48 AM
I just picked up Vagrant Story. We'll see if I like it as much as you!

Good choice brother! I hope so too.

Are you playing with a guide? If not (and that's the way I'd recommend it), here's a vital tip: turn on something in the settings that says: 'weapon notifications' or something similar. It'll show you an important feature of how the weapon system works! And try using one specific weapon for each different class of enemy.

Jiro
02-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Vagrant Story is one of those games I just missed the train for but I'm keen to pick it up one day, even if it is dated, because I feel like it's an important part of Square's illustrious history

Scotty_ffgamer
02-05-2014, 06:07 AM
I don't know if I'll like the battle system based on the little I've played today. Seems like it could be fun. I'll have to remember your tip when I get into it next. As of now I'm playing without a guide but I might use one eventually if I get stuck or something. The characters and world seem pretty interesting and I think I'll like the story. It also looks pretty good for a PS1 game. Kind of makes me think of MGS in a weird way... probably with just how cinematic everything feels.

Pete for President
02-07-2014, 01:00 AM
Vagrant Story is one of those games I just missed the train for but I'm keen to pick it up one day, even if it is dated, because I feel like it's an important part of Square's illustrious history

Can't go wrong with this one brother, trust me :D

I don't know if I'll like the battle system based on the little I've played today. Seems like it could be fun. I'll have to remember your tip when I get into it next. As of now I'm playing without a guide but I might use one eventually if I get stuck or something. The characters and world seem pretty interesting and I think I'll like the story. It also looks pretty good for a PS1 game. Kind of makes me think of MGS in a weird way... probably with just how cinematic everything feels.

I had the same MGS-vibe feeling when I got back in the game :greenie: I really love Vagrant Story's battle system, the chaining works like a charm and there are so many abilities to unlock.

Pete for President
02-07-2014, 01:28 AM
#8:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Tommy Vercetti picked up the following awards personally:
'Most cruisy boulevard'
'Best hotel room'
'Most atmospheric city'
'Most roller skating bikini girls'
'Best mafia real estate sim'
'Best rock radio channel'

One of my best friends and me were insanely hyped for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Luckily it surpassed all our expectations by a mile and after playing through all over again about year ago I can happily say it still is an incredible game.

None of that modern GTA stuff I don’t like, hurray! Scriptedness is held to a minimum and so are rubber banding, hand holding and one-man-army-ism (to a certain extend). The missions boast more freedom than any other GTA to let our creative minds get to work and that’s exactly the way I like it. Finishing a mission the way I want to with whatever I want to use gives an extra sense of accomplishment.

With a compelling story, a ton of sidequests, the most successful humour in the series, a good climax and near-perfect pacing I think I spent at least 500 hours in Vice City and I loved every minute of it. It came to a point where my buddy and me came up with our own challenges as if getting 100% wasn’t enough. And I got 100%. Twice. It was that good.

Oh Rockstar and your crazy rewards.

Last thing I want to point out that Vice City was the perfect size to comprehend. I could remember every alleyway, every escape route, every landmark, almost all hidden packages or unique jumps and drive anywhere without using the map at all. I think in this sense the following GTA’s all became too big for their own good.

I didn’t just play GTA: Vice City; I lived in it and it was epic.

Slothy
02-07-2014, 03:25 AM
Vice City is the best GTA game. Excellent choice.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 03:28 AM
Haha, my mom hate this franchise so much because of the cop killing, crime and sex.

I need to play it.

Slothy
02-07-2014, 03:34 AM
I highly recommend it. Just about anything with cop killing, crime, and sex gets the Vivi22 stamp of approval.

Spuuky
02-07-2014, 03:39 AM
I used to kind of like GTA (and Vice City is definitely the best one), but then I played Saints Row, and realized it was everything GTA should have been.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 03:44 AM
I highly recommend it. Just about anything with cop killing, crime, and sex gets the Vivi22 stamp of approval.

Why am I not surprised? :p

I used to kind of like GTA (and Vice City is definitely the best one), but then I played Saints Row, and realized it was everything GTA should have been.

Saints Row is another one I want to try too. It looks hilarious!

Pete for President
02-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Haha, my mom hate this franchise so much because of the cop killing, crime and sex.

I need to play it.

I highly recommend it too.

In a sense, maybe. I can see how Saints Row and all it's craziness could let you loose with creativity even more than GTA does. But I like how Vice City strikes a balance at remaining credible as a story while still pushing the boundaries of the wackiness. I actually cared for the characters.

Also I dig mafia-gangster vibe a lot more than 'from-the-hood' or 'pimp' gangster vibe.

Pete for President
02-07-2014, 05:27 PM
#7:

Shadow of the Colossus

The wanderer didn’t care about the following awards:
‘Most one with nature’
‘Best companion’
‘Most painful feeling of loss’
‘Most welcome feeling of isolation’

I find it hard to describe the core of what makes Shadow of the Colossus truly stand out so much. Of course I could name the obvious things like the amazing soundtrack and epic boss fights, but there are so many important underlying subtleties to this game. It gets called a work of art more than any other and for good reason.

Everything about Shadow of the Colossus is presented in such subtlety, simplicity and clear vision that immersion is immediate. We’re in a forgotten land, armed with only a sword, bow and arrow for the entirety of the adventure, accompanied only by our good friend Agro and no-one else. Before you know it you’re standing next to the altar in beautiful light staring at the same scene for multiple minutes. Are we still playing a game?

Shadow of the Colossus brought immersion and compassion to a new level. Wandering around this wild forgotten land I stopped and stared at the various landmarks and scenery, hung out with the lizards for no reason at all, hunted for fruit, galloped along soaring eagles, complimented my best friend and companion with a pet on the back and while all of these things are never the goal of the game, I felt like I needed to anyway. And I wanted to.

Shadow of the Colossus is a tragic, epic tale of a wanderer in a forgotten land and I can’t wait to go on this desolate adventure again.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 07:54 PM
@first pic, I think you're going to need a bigger arrow.

Slothy
02-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Have you played the game Tori? That arrow is just for getting his attention.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 08:50 PM
As is the case for most of these lists you can bank on me having either never played or never heard of it.

Slothy
02-07-2014, 09:01 PM
This one you absolutely must play. One of the greatest games ever made, hands down.

Jowy
02-07-2014, 10:10 PM
And its free on Playstation Plus!

Bubba
02-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I never played this on the PS2. I think it's one of those games that passed people by on release. I first heard of it when my best friend would not stop talking about it. He said to me I need to buy the HD release on PS3. Ever the sceptic, I merely rented it on Lovefilm. It even lay there for two days before I decided to try it.

It was there at the same time my friend (the friend in question) was visiting. We played for about an hour before I said I didn't want to play anymore. It wasn't that I disliked the game... far from it. I just knew I wanted to go through this struggle by myself. I was Wander. It was just me and Agro. I wouldn't use a guide. I didn't even tell people I was playing it. I'd never been on journey like before or since.

It was a special experience.

Pete for President
02-08-2014, 06:13 AM
As is the case for most of these lists you can bank on me having either never played or never heard of it.

This one you absolutely must play. One of the greatest games ever made, hands down.

Vivi's right! Another one to add to you list Tori :p

I never played this on the PS2. I think it's one of those games that passed people by on release. I first heard of it when my best friend would not stop talking about it. He said to me I need to buy the HD release on PS3. Ever the sceptic, I merely rented it on Lovefilm. It even lay there for two days before I decided to try it.

It was there at the same time my friend (the friend in question) was visiting. We played for about an hour before I said I didn't want to play anymore. It wasn't that I disliked the game... far from it. I just knew I wanted to go through this struggle by myself. I was Wander. It was just me and Agro. I wouldn't use a guide. I didn't even tell people I was playing it. I'd never been on journey like before or since.

It was a special experience.

Good choice! That sounds like the right way to play this game. Isolation and amazement.

Ayen
02-08-2014, 07:04 AM
What I need is a library with every single game ever created, accompanied with every system ever created, so I can just go in, grab it off the shelf and play it any time I desire. Then I would never have to worry about tracking down copies and money issues ever again.

Slothy
02-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Or you could strike it rich and build yourself that library.

And I could come visit. :D

Pete for President
02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
What I need is a library with every single game ever created, accompanied with every system ever created, so I can just go in, grab it off the shelf and play it any time I desire. Then I would never have to worry about tracking down copies and money issues ever again.

There's a videogame bar in Osaka, Japan with pretty much all the consoles and big libraries of games! Free to play as long as you order a drink :greenie:

On with the list!

(it was on number 5 but changed my mind last minute :eek:):

Tenchu 2:
Birth of the Stealth Assassins

This sneaky ninja PS1 classic snuck into my house and took the following awards:
'Best ninja sim'
'Most inventive gadgets'
'Best game set in feudal Japan'
'Best ninja drama'
'Dumbest guards'
'Best mission editor'
'Hardest boss fights (yes, even harder than that one game yet to come)'
'Most screenshots for a game in this thread so far'

Carrying on with the fondness for stealth games next on the list is a PS1 classic. Tenchu 2 follows the story of young ninjas Rikimaru, Ayame and Tatsumaru in feudal Japan. Technically this ninja sneaker is not the best game ever made: the draw distance which is essential for planning routes and spotting guards is a huge letdown, enemy AI is mediocre at best and combat is a bit clumsy and hard to get used to.

But the sneaking works excellent, level design is awesomely atmospheric and diverse, the game has good pacing, a well written credible story and it does some unique things in it’s presentation. The latter is why it is stuck in my memory so strongly.

The poems on the game over screens unique to each character have stuck with me forever.

Starting the game only Rikimaru and Ayame are playable and even though the overhanging story and environments are largely the same, both characters have a completely unique 10-set of missions shining light on different details of the bigger picture. The missions are divided into three chapters working towards a grand climax. There’s a lot of drama involved but it’s always on the good side. Things never go cheesy or unbelievable and all main players are 100% credible in motivations and actions. Even the love triangle is well done and the game has many tragic moments, deaths, victories and losses. After finishing Rikimaru’s and Ayame’s campaigns Tatsumaru is unlocked, and we get a chance to play as the good guy defecting to the bad guys, again adding a fresh perspective to the already excellent story.

The opening cinematic always got me hyped to spend more time in the world of ninja. I hope it makes it to the PSN so I can go on this adventure again (my copy no longer works :cry:).

PS: By the lords! I almost forgot one very important aspect: Tenchu 2 had an incredible mission editor letting us create our own missions including bossfights. I spent hours and hours crafting and building my own sneaky levels and it was glorious. Ah, fond memories!

And I leave you with one of the biggest challenges in my personal gaming history:

Ayen
02-09-2014, 09:23 PM
YES! YES! YES! I only ever played the first one, but still, YES! YES! YES! YES! I approve of this entry so much.

Pete for President
02-10-2014, 05:57 PM
#5:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

This literature-like piece deserves the most honourable award of all:
'The one game every single person should play and consider'

I had a really hard time trying to write a fitting piece for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It’s a phenomenal philosophical game and I love it for many reasons, but one of them I feel is so incredibly important, it is the only thing that matters.

Deus Ex: HR does something games (or any other entertainment medium) rarely dare thread upon: it addresses issues, events, hypotheses and scenarios about the world we live in in today and does so by questioning it from multiple perspectives. Some examples: after a terrorist attack one of the NPC’s on the street comments something in the sense of: “Was this an inside job like 9/11?”. Augmentations are very close to becoming reality as real life scientists already messing around in the brains of rats, purposely disabling their brain functions to later 'fix' them with brain augmentations. Who are we to cut up these creatures? Aren't they good enough what they are already? Are we not good enough? And how arrogant are we to consider us more valuable than any other living thing? And what about Google glass goggles and the cellphone in your pocket? Will they eventually be implanted in your own body? The list goes on with bigger things like theories on information control, media controlling the masses, the difference between poor and the rich, indoctrination, what is humanity and who has it or who has lost it, fraud in politics, a society that is being distracted at all times so the big players can keep their power and how much can one pawn in this insane world change?

This rat's brain was hooked up to the internet and transmitted it's sensory information to another rat thousands of kilometers away.

The endings that got a lot of negativity are in my opinion excellent. It rises for a birds eye view of morality from different perspectives and because it provides those different perspectives and does not give judgement itself, it is a sign that this is a message derived from an honest vision. A scientific one. One open for discussion. The game sets an example that should be followed by every single person in the world. Yet whenever I have these idealistic discussions others often jump to conclusions, do not consider others’ perspectives and hide back in their safe, tv-show distracted environment and refuse to see how deep things really go in the long term perspective.

That said I wonder why I haven’t put Deus Ex on number one, as it does something more important than any other game. It educates, considers morality, humanity, our use of technology, our past and our future.

That can not be praised enough.

Spuuky
02-10-2014, 06:59 PM
If only the ending wasn't so bad.

Pete for President
02-10-2014, 07:15 PM

I think the ending was pretty bad, because ...

Please discuss, don't troll.

Bolivar
02-10-2014, 07:40 PM
I like how Pete was able to write a substantial post on what makes it so good without even digging in to the gameplay - a testament to how robust Human Revolution truly is. I thought it was a really fun game to play, I looked forward to a lot of the encounters and challenges. The first boss battle was the only one I had any problems with.

I didn't take any issues with the endings. At that point, everything that needed to be resolved with the plot had been taken care of. I thought the soliloquy expressing the ideology the player developed for themself throughout the course of the game was a classy, thoughtful way to ride out. Can't wait for the next one!

Spuuky
02-10-2014, 10:47 PM

Please discuss, don't troll.Please don't use the word troll so inaccurately in the future.

The ending was terrible. The game defines itself largely through choice - it presents multiple options, different avenues of approach, dialogue that leads in different directions, et cetera. Then, at the end, the entire system is revealed to have been absolutely meaningless. No choice you made has any actual consequence. You literally just press a button on one of four endings, and that's the outcome of the game. It undermines the entire philosophy of the game itself in one cruel moment.

That's in addition to the fact that the endings aren't even very good.

Ayen
02-10-2014, 10:54 PM

Please discuss, don't troll.Please don't use the word troll so inaccurately in the future.

The ending was terrible. The game defines itself largely through choice - it presents multiple options, different avenues of approach, dialogue that leads in different directions, et cetera. Then, at the end, the entire system is revealed to have been absolutely meaningless. No choice you made has any actual consequence. You literally just press a button on one of four endings, and that's the outcome of the game. It undermines the entire philosophy of the game itself in one cruel moment.

In other words... it's Mass Effect 3.

Pete for President
02-10-2014, 11:17 PM

Can't help it came across as such.

I see your point, but I think it is being bashed on way too hard for what it actually is. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have a similar ending system and they hardly ever get bashed upon. Not that pointing at other games is an excuse to get Deus Ex off the hook, but I do sometimes wonder why Deus Ex seems to get a little more rage. As said, I personally like the endings and I'm happy with the Souls' ones too.

At least the choices along the way do determine the experience of playing through Deus Ex itself and are pretty successful in being morally grey and intriguing because of it as opposed to games like InFamous where the morality system is very obvious (and therefor the choices are too).

Technically providing separate endings depending on choices made through the entire game seems like a huge challenge and the only game I can currently think of doing that very successfully is Heavy Rain. But the scope of that game is way smaller and I can certainly understand the design choice of keeping things a bit more simple for development sake. I can also see it as the developers vision of wanting you to make the choice based on all information gathered, in a way granting you the most freedom at the end. It's a theory.

I'd also like to know why you think the actual ending scenes are bad.

I didn't take any issues with the endings. At that point, everything that needed to be resolved with the plot had been taken care of. I thought the soliloquy expressing the ideology the player developed for themself throughout the course of the game was a classy, thoughtful way to ride out. Can't wait for the next one!

I agree. Well said!

Spuuky
02-10-2014, 11:36 PM
I see your point, but I think it is being bashed on way too hard for what it actually is.It doesn't matter to me what other people think of it, or how it is generally perceived; whatever that may be, I simply find the ending unfaithful to the game's own philosophy.

Technically providing separate endings depending on choices made through the entire game seems like a huge challenge and the only game I can currently think of doing that very successfully is Heavy Rain.Yes, most games don't do this very well. Even games with choice typically don't come with a real variety of endings based on those choices (like Dragon Age or DX:HR itself), although sometimes they do (like Gothic 3 or Fallout: New Vegas). But if a game is going to use choice as the pulpit from which it preaches like DX:HR does (rather than as a garnish to the gameplay), then I really appreciate it if it at least tries to take the idea to completion rather than lazily setting up a literal multiple choice machine.

Loony BoB
02-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm with Spuuky on this one. I want an ending to a game that shows me the consequences of all the effort I put into the game. That choice at the end of the game should have followed up with an actual ending that shows what happens to my character, what happens to the others. Telling me "Use your imagination" is a bit of a slap in the face. I think DE:HR was a really good game, but as Spuuky said... if only the ending wasn't so bad.

I think less people complained about the DS endings because less people here actually played DS, let alone through to completion. I don't know much about the DS games at all, let alone how their story runs, but in DE:HR (and ME3) I feel the game works towards an epic climax and then it doesn't show you the climax. Think of great films... can you imagine a great film suddenly ending without telling you what happens to the main character? Urgh, I would hate that. I like a game to have a conclusion, a proper ending. I don't even know if the main character lives five seconds longer or for a hundred years. I played the game as Adam, I did not play the game as a philospher but as a man with his own story. Sadly, we don't know how that story ends at all because they neglected to write an ending for it.

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2014, 04:51 PM
No Country For Old Men.

Loony BoB
02-11-2014, 05:09 PM
A film that has high praise for it's content but has been criticised for a disappointing ending? Ya don't say. ;) I had a similar (although lesser) disappointed reaction to that film when it ended. It was going so well. Why end it like that? Urgh. Film noir is a bitch. Still, even NCFOM had more ending than DE:HR did.

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2014, 05:51 PM
I know, right? I was getting so into it, and then it ended. It was like that time this hooker Disapparated on me once. :(

Spuuky
02-11-2014, 09:15 PM
I guess I should specify that despite my complaint, I do think the rest of the game is really good, mostly due to the atmosphere and a distant secondarily due to the gameplay. I am looking forward to the next one.

Pete for President
02-12-2014, 06:16 AM
#4:

Ace Combat Zero:
The Belkan War

This deep jet fighter experience takes the following awards:

"Best jet fighter experience"

"Most videogame quotes to have made it on my bands' albums"

"Best characterised enemies"

"Longest time it to took to write a post about a game on the list so far"

"Best giant laser"

"Most nucleair explosions"

"Best 1 versus 1 aerial face-off"

"Best wingman"

I used to play the demo for Ace Combat 4 over and over. For a couple years I was in limbo whether I should buy an AC game. When I finally moved from allowance to a job on the side after school I got my hands Ace Combat Zero. It was a great decision.

The battles with Wizard, Sorcerer and Gault are ones I've relived countless times.

Ace Combat Zero has been the most memorable jet fighter experience yet. The gameplay is solid but it’s presentation, pacing and deep dark undertone are where this game threads into the land of literature. Dogfighting gets the emphasis throughout boss battles with enemy ace squadrons. These are particularly interesting, as each has their own personality as a pack and as indivuals. While engines roar and missiles soar, these figures light political discussions we can overhear as enemy radio chatter. They often have idealist, philosophical views and the result is (like the previous game on the list) a game sparking my thoughts and makes me think about our world. Borders are the main theme but politics, economy and our right to claim and exhaust the earth also come into play.

Don’t underestimate what seems like detail: there has been some serious thought put into every line coming through the radio. Enemy pilot’s personalities have been considered, their morality questioned, their flight style described, their stresslevels perfectly portrayed as the battle heats up. Ace Combat Zero makes you feel for the enemy, and that is a very rare trait in the world of videogames. Towards the end I was almost rooting for the revolutionary (extremist) rebel organisation.

The fights with enemy squadrons grow even larger in importance when the game shows it’s intermezzo cutscenes with monologues of the pilots you have downed and survived.

The bigger picture is a morally grey conflict where the agressor becomes the defender and the defender the agressor. A lot of tragedies happen, and we follow what this does to both enemies and allies.

"There they are. The mercenary dream team."

Which brings us to our wingman: Solo Wing ‘Pixy’. Our loyal companion grows morally conflicted and he shifts his priorities. For good reasons, as is perfectly explained. His motivations are totally understandable, even. Our paths seperate, and as later stated: we’ve become two sides of the same coin. Tragedy follows when the conflict is pushed to it’s apex. In the arena are just me and my former wingman. Both believe that they are fighting for good, but know they are also both the bad. There is only one outcome.

Ace Combat Zero has such an intriguing story and well written dialogue I have even used samples from the game for both studio albums I have made with my band the MAYDAYS. As listenable on the final track of the album 'MRK II':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi-VY7_bc08
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi-VY7_bc08

The radio chatter as listed in the lyrics and credits:
Pilot #1: "What are you fighting for?"
Pilot #2: "Clashing greed is the cause of all conflict."
Pilot #1: "What do you mean?!"
Pilot #2: "Neither nations or nationalities have meaning. We will erase these unnecessary borders.People live and people die - that's all there is to it. ... Are you fired up? We're going to start over from scratch. Territories, peoples, authorities: all will be liberated. The world will change. It's time."

If Ace Combat Zero was real and I were a fighter pilot, I may even be fighting alongside A World With No Boundaries.

Ayen
02-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Someone really likes their fighter's jets.

Slothy
02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I will always maintain that 5 is the better game, but Zero is damn enjoyable as well.

Pete for President
02-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Someone really likes their fighter's jets.

I sure do. I even somewhat considered to join the Dutch air force at some point. I had the right path for it on secondary school and everything. Luckily I backed out, as I would never want to be a person hurting others. I'd still love to fly one of those things. Maybe I'll step it down and become a small plane pilot at some point.

I will always maintain that 5 is the better game, but Zero is damn enjoyable as well.

Both are very good indeed. I like the dark undertone and ace rivalry of 0 more. What gives 5 the upper hand for you?

Slothy
02-13-2014, 01:14 AM
5 felt like a good length to me while 0 felt too short for some reason. I also thought that most of the missions in 5 were downright perfect. Not to mention completely batshit insane half the time. It's really hard to top things like destroying massive submarines with doomsday weapons, threading the needle between radar detection ranges, and shooting down a space station with a doomsday laser of it's own. Compared to how balls to the wall 5 was, a lot of the missions in 0 felt a bit underwhelming. But every time you thought 5 couldn't possibly top a mission it would turn around and prove you wrong.

Ayen
02-13-2014, 01:19 AM
I haven't played a flight simulation game since Super Huey II. I didn't even know they made them anymore.

Bubba
02-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Some of those quotes are pretty good but... they can't beat the heartfelt, emotionally resonant ones from Pilotwings.

Brings a tear to my eye :cry:

Pete for President
02-14-2014, 02:58 AM
Looks like an instant classic Bubba :greenie:

5 felt like a good length to me while 0 felt too short for some reason. I also thought that most of the missions in 5 were downright perfect. Not to mention completely battrout insane half the time. It's really hard to top things like destroying massive submarines with doomsday weapons, threading the needle between radar detection ranges, and shooting down a space station with a doomsday laser of it's own. Compared to how balls to the wall 5 was, a lot of the missions in 0 felt a bit underwhelming. But every time you thought 5 couldn't possibly top a mission it would turn around and prove you wrong.

Agreed that 5 had a diversity in missions never attained again in any Ace Combat game. It had some epic stuff going! Only a few I didn't like much like the long one where you have to follow Pops for ages without anything really happening.

Pete for President
02-14-2014, 03:06 AM
Games that didn’t make the list

Before we enter the top 3 I thought it would be nice to go over a couple games that I think deserve a mention even though they didn't make it in the top 25.

Please don’t be offended if I say something bold here, I just don’t have the time to go into each game too deep. These opinions are written quick and dirty.

Good games, good level design and the story - while simple - is well told and presented. But in the end the combat and whole experience was a little shallow as it often doesn’t go deeper than a lot of gore. Also, quick time events.

4 is good. Cool story from a unique perspective presented in a very fitting artistic way. I found the missions a little random at times.

5 is good. It brings the most variety in the missions. The backstory left little impression.

6 is good. Dogfights were more challenging. I didn’t really get the support functions as I found it made things a little easy. Out of all Ace Combat games I find this one the least memorable.

Assault Horizon. Project Aces thought mimicing the disaster that was HAWX 2 was a good idea and went all Call of Duty on us with terrorists, AC130’s, a ton of explosions, the shallowest of stories, sneaky Russians and every other cliché in the book. All they had to do was do what they did best and make it profitable by having a small team on it, dedicated to the fans and don’t even bother with trying to reach a bigger audience. But Namco wanted gold and they didn’t get it. The multiplayer was pretty entertaining at least.

Modern Warfare 1 was good and memorable memorable but I don’t own it. I had MW2 and played multiplayer for a fair bit. It was fun while it lasted but nothing too memorable. I'm also really through with the series and tired of the gameplay now.

Great game. Don't own it though and only played through it once at a friend. Can't judge without a replay uhu?

(Bare in mind I was late to the party with VI, VII and IX)

VI. Never finished it. I liked what they did with the flow of the game, deaths of characters and all that. But there’s a lot of game design flaws in there too. Sorry!

VII. Was pretty good and had memorable moments, but not very consistent.

IX. I know I know. It’s great, but I can’t help but feel most parts of disc 2 and 3 seem like filler.

XII. Enjoyed it. Had some good vibes here and there. But the battle system is kinda broken and level design is very inconsistent and often empty. Filler!

XIII. Don’t really know what to make of it. Creature design was well done, battle system worked. Level design was kinda poor and the game lacks variety, credible story and magic feeling factor.

4 blew me away first time around, but after several playthroughs a few flaws became obvious and I can’t shake em. I really dislike how they let everyone on the “good” crew live. I must’ve mentioned it on several occasions already but Snake should have died, Raiden should have died or at least lost his arms/be in robot mode permanently, Meryl and Johnny should have died defending the door. Now that would be memorable and actually feel like the baddies could do some damage.

2 was good. Not very consistent unfortunately. Read some plans Kojima had for the game and they were even more psychedelic than how the game turned out. The team protested even! I probably would have liked the psychedelic stuff.

I’m in the corner of shame right here. Bought the PS2 version a year and a half ago. Struggled with the controls so much as it had clearly been designed for pc. I gave up after 2-3 hours. Sorry!

First entry in the top 3 coming soon!

Slothy
02-14-2014, 03:46 AM
You know, I have to say that God of War has one of the best stories on the PS2. It sounds crazy at first, but when you play through it, it feels extremely appropriate. There's a definite greek tragedy/myth aspect to it that makes it feel authentic, even with everything else being pretty over the top. That story was very well told, and I think really holds up. It feels true to what you'd expect from greek mythology in a lot of ways and I really dug that. Sadly, I think 2 and 3 really lost their way from that. I don't think either was as well constructed story wise, and eventually descended into being a parody of itself, which is kind of fucking crazy given how over the top everything else was to begin with.

Instead of having that tragic element, and Kratos being a character who, while completely impossible to like, was someone that by the end you at least understood and felt sorry for, the games really just became a case of, "here's Kratos. He's really angry and he takes it out on the greek gods in a brutal fashion." There was some actual depth there that was lost completely that made the original more than just the violence.

Pete for President
02-14-2014, 03:53 AM
Agreed it indeed felt very appropriate considered the setting. To be fair I haven't played 3 so I don't know how it ends. Same as you, I kinda lost track of what was going on in 2. Judging by the ending of the original I think God of War was intended a one-game-deal at the time. Until post-release popularity kicked in of course.

Jiro
02-14-2014, 04:05 AM
I missed a couple of entries. Whoops.

I loved Shadow of the Colossus. I didn't finish it but I intend to get the HD remake at some point and delve back in. Something about that world, in spite of its relative emptiness, feels very... alive.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a great game -- I'm playing the Director's Cut atm and enjoying the fuck out of the commentary -- but I took issue with the way the endings came about too. I thought it was nice that Adam Jensen (and the player by extension) was forced to make decisions and understand the world and listen to (or ignore) the various viewpoints, but being given the freedom to make whatever choice you want at the end makes it a little more hollow.

The endings themselves were good, but I would've liked to see the choices you make have an effect on what outcome actually takes place, rather than them supposedly helping you develop as a player. Let me try and explain that better. Deus Ex asks you to reflect on what you've seen and heard and done and then pick the best choice; I would've preferred the game to show me what I have subconsciously done so that I can then reflect on whether my position changed. Does that make sense?

Vice City is probably my favourite GTA game too. I liked the GTA III and that will always occupy a special place in my heart but Vice City nailed the package. San Andreas was a fucking great time but I enjoyed that for the sandbox elements as opposed to the story, which I think is an integral element to a good GTA.

Slothy
02-14-2014, 04:08 AM
Judging by the ending of the original I think God of War was intended a one-game-deal at the time. Until post-release popularity kicked in of course.

One would think that, but some of the bonus features in the first game went over some ideas they were thinking of using for a sequel. I remember two specifically. They both sounded cooler than what we actually got I'm afraid.

I mean, 2 and 3 were still enjoyable games in that they improved on the gameplay in the first one (I'd say 2 was better than 3 though), but there was more to that first game than just the over the top violence and I think the directors that took over after the first one missed the boat in that regard.

Spuuky
02-14-2014, 04:59 AM
Most likely they figured it would be one game, but left open the possibility that it would be more, like most games that aren't part of an established franchise.

Bolivar
02-14-2014, 04:14 PM
I see what you guys are saying with the Greek tragedy thing but with all the other factors taken into account I think 2 and 3 are still much better overall games. GoW3 is one of if not the most artistically impressive games I've ever played.

The ending sucked though.

Pete for President
02-15-2014, 06:45 AM
I missed a couple of entries. Whoops.

I loved Shadow of the Colossus. I didn't finish it but I intend to get the HD remake at some point and delve back in. Something about that world, in spite of its relative emptiness, feels very... alive.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a great game -- I'm playing the Director's Cut atm and enjoying the smurf out of the commentary -- but I took issue with the way the endings came about too. I thought it was nice that Adam Jensen (and the player by extension) was forced to make decisions and understand the world and listen to (or ignore) the various viewpoints, but being given the freedom to make whatever choice you want at the end makes it a little more hollow.

The endings themselves were good, but I would've liked to see the choices you make have an effect on what outcome actually takes place, rather than them supposedly helping you develop as a player. Let me try and explain that better. Deus Ex asks you to reflect on what you've seen and heard and done and then pick the best choice; I would've preferred the game to show me what I have subconsciously done so that I can then reflect on whether my position changed. Does that make sense?

Vice City is probably my favourite GTA game too. I liked the GTA III and that will always occupy a special place in my heart but Vice City nailed the package. San Andreas was a smurfing great time but I enjoyed that for the sandbox elements as opposed to the story, which I think is an integral element to a good GTA.

Please do finish Shadow of the Colossus as everything leading up to and including the ending is a pretty unique experience! :greenie: I too am playing through Deus Ex again and loving it. Do you think it would be worth going through the director's cut if I already own the original?

Judging by the ending of the original I think God of War was intended a one-game-deal at the time. Until post-release popularity kicked in of course.

One would think that, but some of the bonus features in the first game went over some ideas they were thinking of using for a sequel. I remember two specifically. They both sounded cooler than what we actually got I'm afraid.

I mean, 2 and 3 were still enjoyable games in that they improved on the gameplay in the first one (I'd say 2 was better than 3 though), but there was more to that first game than just the over the top violence and I think the directors that took over after the first one missed the boat in that regard.

Ooh I don't remember checking the bonus content.

I see what you guys are saying with the Greek tragedy thing but with all the other factors taken into account I think 2 and 3 are still much better overall games. GoW3 is one of if not the most artistically impressive games I've ever played.

The ending sucked though.

Still need to play 3 sometime. A friend showed the intro and Poseidon battle and the presentation was pretty awesome. Still not impressed by QTE's though.

Pete for President
02-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Officially breaking in the top 3! :cool:

#3:

Metal Gear Solid

This classic tactical espionage action title for PS1 takes the following awards:
'Best mind control tricks'
'Most "heart attacks"'
'Best pistol duel'
'Least issues with backtracking'
'Most evil twin'
'Most heartbreaking sacrifice'

Ever since the first demo I was hooked. Atmosphere. Tension. Action. Character. This game has everything. To this day Metal Gear Solid still holds it’s own in terms of gameplay, pacing and unique events. To me it is the most defined, fluid and enjoyable title in the series.

Metal Gear Solid is one big string of unforgettable events. Who can forget those first steps infiltrating the snowy helipad? Creepily making your way through the bloody hallway? The pranks of mind controlling Psycho Mantis? Meryl being shot and lying bleeding on the floor? That relentless chase up the communication tower’s staircase? Finding the parachute after taking down the Hind? The elevator and the four stolen stealth units? The sad execution of Sniper Wolf? The cold duel with Vulcan Raven? The tragic death of Grey Fox? Finally taking down Metal Gear and of course the fist fight to settle things with your evil twin once and for all?

This game is damn near perfect and I still enjoy every minute playing it.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-16-2014, 05:55 PM
I considered this game to be perfection throughout my childhood. I played it in a near daily basis around second or third grade, and I remember even running around the playground during recess pretending to be Solid Snake. It got to the point where I was able to beat MGS in about 3 hours back then, and I'm pretty sure there was one time I beat it twice in one day just because I had nothing better to do. My parents thought I was too obsessed after playing it so much, and they banned me from playing the game. And then my sister sold the game and I never got to play it until high school. I didn't even know there were other games in the series until sometime in high school I'm pretty sure.

I still think MGS is one of the best games ever made. The story was great, the battles were fun, the areas were beautiful, the voice acting was top notch, and the game just has fantastic pacing. Unlike in the newer games, the cutscenes don't overstay their welcome either. Now I really want to play this game again.

Pete for President
02-16-2014, 10:30 PM
I considered this game to be perfection throughout my childhood. I played it in a near daily basis around second or third grade, and I remember even running around the playground during recess pretending to be Solid Snake. It got to the point where I was able to beat MGS in about 3 hours back then, and I'm pretty sure there was one time I beat it twice in one day just because I had nothing better to do.

A friend of mine went through the same phase :p

Bolivar
02-17-2014, 02:31 AM
It left such a lasting impression the first time you play it. It was an amazing ride from start to finish especially the crazy twist "Mr. President...." at the end!

Pete for President
02-17-2014, 03:14 AM
It left such a lasting impression the first time you play it. It was an amazing ride from start to finish especially the crazy twist "Mr. President...." at the end!

Ah yes, the mystery phone call! Blew my mind first time around.

Ayen
02-17-2014, 03:50 AM
SMURFING YES! I included this game in ThanksGaming Month that I did back in November for my reviews so I got to experience the ride all over again and finally beat the frigging torture room scene that I could never beat before. One of the best game I've ever played ^_^

Scotty_ffgamer
02-17-2014, 04:07 AM
Both of the game's endings were pretty great too. Now that I think about it, I think that's why I played it twice in one day that one time as a kid. I just wanted to see both endings, haha.

Bubba
02-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Such an outstanding game. I remember the opening credits playing at the very start as you are sneaking onto the elevator and I thought "whoa..." It was like nothing I'd ever seen before.

There were so many of those moments in the game. Her number is on the back of the CD case. "Wait a minute, I haven't even picked up a... whoa..." Not to mention the battle with Psycho Mantis. I admit I needed someone to tell me how to get past him. I'd never had to think so laterally in a video game before.

Me: "I just can't get past Psycho Mantis. He's impossible!"
Friend: "Have you tried...xxxx?"
Me: "...whoa..."

Ayen
02-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Yeah, you have to call the Colonel five times before he finally tells you to put the controller into the second controller port, but you're not going to be thinking that going in. No one was going to be thinking that going in. I like all the clever ways they utilized the dualshock controller which was still new at the time.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Psycho Mantis amazed and terrified me when he moved my controller.

Pete for President
02-17-2014, 03:15 PM

Let alone when he reads your memory card! That was mindblowing too :eek:

Loony BoB
02-17-2014, 04:05 PM
I've skimmed past everything because I think Danielle got me this game and I haven't played it yet. I might eventually! I actually think I've played a level or so of it a long time ago and I was told by my friend that I was really good. Watch me balls it up repeatedly.

Ayen
02-17-2014, 04:06 PM

Let alone when he reads your memory card! That was mindblowing too :eek:

So, you like to play Castlevania?

Slothy
02-17-2014, 04:09 PM
I've skimmed past everything because I think Danielle got me this game and I haven't played it yet. I might eventually! I actually think I've played a level or so of it a long time ago and I was told by my friend that I was really good. Watch me balls it up repeatedly.

You "think" you have MGS and you haven't played it? I didn't think I could respect you less BooB. :p

Ayen
02-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Loony BoB never learned how to climb up and down ladders.

Bolivar
02-17-2014, 04:32 PM

You "think" you have MGS and you haven't played it? I didn't think I could respect you less BooB. :p

Also if your friend actually said "you're pretty good!" he might have just been saying Revolver Ocelot quotes...

Pete for President
02-17-2014, 10:16 PM

Also if your friend actually said "you're pretty good!" he might have just been saying Revolver Ocelot quotes...

:p

It's worth playing BoB! Takes about 10-12 hours to beat and you will not regret a single minute.

PS. I thought about spoiler tagging everything but the game is 16 years old so I thought I'd get away with it

Jowy
02-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Am I the only one who's more curious about #2 than #1? I feel like I already know what's rightfully earned the top spot, but knowing its competition is what makes me F5 this whole thread.

Pete for President
02-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Am I the only one who's more curious about #2 than #1? I feel like I already know what's rightfully earned the top spot, but knowing its competition is what makes me F5 this whole thread.

I deny everything :p

But I'm sorry, I think the entry for #2 will be ready tomorrow night or Thursday. Busy days :cry:

Ayen
02-18-2014, 04:33 PM
#2 will end up being Dark Souls as the ultimate swerve in EoFF history.

Loony BoB
02-18-2014, 05:15 PM

I know I have a MGS game. I'm just not 100% certain which one it is and I'm not at home. I'm pretty certain it's MGS2 the more I think about it.

Pete for President
02-19-2014, 06:19 AM
#2 will end up being Dark Souls as the ultimate swerve in EoFF history.

Hmm... Perhaps :shifty:

Jiro
02-19-2014, 10:12 AM
MGS is great. I second whatever everyone has said positively (I will read it later I promise!)

But yeah, Pete, if you can find Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut for cheap, listening to the commentary is great. I've never listened to commentary on anything before but it's great to hear how it all came together and what the thinking was behind it and how some things almost made it but didn't and some things weren't quite right even at shipping etc etc etc it's awesome fun.

Pete for President
02-21-2014, 12:10 AM
MGS is great. I second whatever everyone has said positively (I will read it later I promise!)

But yeah, Pete, if you can find Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut for cheap, listening to the commentary is great. I've never listened to commentary on anything before but it's great to hear how it all came together and what the thinking was behind it and how some things almost made it but didn't and some things weren't quite right even at shipping etc etc etc it's awesome fun.

That sounds pretty cool! I always wonder what's really going on in studio's of that quality and size. Gonna keep an eye out for cheap deals.

Pete for President
02-21-2014, 12:30 AM
Here it is, the long awaited #2 on the list!

#2:

Final Fantasy X

The spiral of death has claimed the following awards:
‘Best flashback’
‘Most vibrant world’
‘Most stunning locales’
‘Best soundtrack. By a mile.’
‘Best flans’

Finally a numbered Final Fantasy game on the list. The pilgrimage of Final Fantasy X is a journey that amazes me every time I experience it.

The locations are breathtaking and Spira - despite all it’s sadness and terror - is a place I could happily live my life. The battle system is deep, fast and a ton of fun. The sidequests are challenging and provide big end game options. The soundtrack is epic and gorgeous. While the game is linear Spira feels vibrant and real. Even zeh Shoopuf.

The story features many issues and themes of our own world. Racism, religion, indoctrination, mankind’s use of technology and of course death. The fact that death is all around in Spira makes the journey worthwhile. There is so much at stake.

Having to fight your own father to the death is a damn ballsy design choice, as is Yunalesca’s option to sacrifice a guardian to fill the final statue of the fayth. Slowly but surely we turn into rebels in an indoctrinated world. We will break the spiral and show everyone the true path. This world - the spiral of death - and everything in it is incredibly well thought out and explained. The concept is as solid as it can get. Final Fantasy X threads into the land of literature.

Where does this game even start? The opening CG kicks in the door and breaks down your house. Then trout really hits the fan when you fight a maester in Macalania. Storming Bevelle is where it picks up dramatically. When you finally reach the Zanarkand ruins and story perspective shifts from past to present, that is where it all begins. And then you face Yunalesca. It is the beginning of the end. To make a long point short: the pacing, presentation and storytelling are nothing but phenomenal.

I care for each and every character. Tidus goes from superstar to a nobody and that is awesome. Wakka going from true believer to heathen is some of the best character development I’ve seen in any game. Auron’s flashback at Yunalesca brings a tear to my eye in the manliest of ways. Brave Kimahri giving us the silent treatment for half the game makes him all the more inspiring when he does speak. Yuna trying to hide her secrets piques my interests and her dance to send the dead at Kilika is breathtaking. The story behind wise Lulu’s sudden lashes towards Wakka is tragic and understandable. And Rikku, while my least favourite, has the rebel mindset that’s encouraging the others.

I will go on this pilgrimage many more times and if my previous playthroughs are any indication I will enjoy every single minute of it.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-21-2014, 12:52 AM
FFX is pretty great. For some reason I'm just imagining the Bahamut Fayth walking up to all of the FFX haters after they read this entry to say "You cried." I'm excited to check out the content I haven't experienced yet in the HD remasters.

Slothy
02-21-2014, 01:09 AM
You used to be cool Pete. What happened man?

Pete for President
02-21-2014, 01:33 AM
You used to be cool Pete. What happened man?

Bravely I stand by my opinion. :cry:

Slothy
02-21-2014, 01:40 AM
It's okay. I still love you.

Bolivar
02-21-2014, 03:27 AM
As much as FFXII holds a special place in my memories, FFX was the last game to give me that Final Fantasy feel. Crazy it's been over 12 years...

It wasn't a launch title, but this was the game that really set off the PS2 generation. That opening, fighting the Sin spawn on the highway was just... wow.

You mentioned Yunalesca, I thought it was interesting how, and I didn't realize it until I played it years later, her boss fight was a throwback to Cloud of Darkness from FFIII. What can be said, this game had class, people!

Ayen
02-21-2014, 03:34 AM
*clicks on thread*

*sees Final Fantasy X*

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.

Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*cough*

This pleases me.

Loony BoB
02-21-2014, 02:03 PM
I echo Vivi22's thoughts. xD

I actually like FFX on a gameplay level, though. Shame about those leading characters. Tidus, Yuna and Seymour are arguably the three most annoying characters I've had this displeasure of having plastered on my screen for that many hours. I liked the other playable characters, though. Jecht was alright.

Ayen
02-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I echo Vivi22's thoughts. xD

I actually like FFX on a gameplay level, though. Shame about those leading characters. Tidus, Yuna and Seymour are arguably the three most annoying characters I've had this displeasure of having plastered on my screen for that many hours.

I'll give you Tidus and Seymour, but if you keep hating on my Yunie I'm making you watch movies directed by Uwe Boll.

Loony BoB
02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Yuna was the lesser of the three evils, but still really annoying with how timid she was. It was frustrating, like dealing with a shy five year old at times. I understand she's got a lot more confidence in FFX-2.

Quindiana Jones
02-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls DARK SOULS DARK SOULS DARK SOULS DARK SOULS.

Pete for President
02-23-2014, 02:26 AM
As much as FFXII holds a special place in my memories, FFX was the last game to give me that Final Fantasy feel. Crazy it's been over 12 years...

12 years :eek: Time flies indeed. Whenever I play it it still feels fresh though.

Yuna was the lesser of the three evils, but still really annoying with how timid she was. It was frustrating, like dealing with a shy five year old at times. I understand she's got a lot more confidence in FFX-2.

Seymour and Tidus are both alright imo. Agreed that Yuna's shy or insecure moments can be bothersome sometimes but I don't think she's on the screen too much. Well balanced, I'd say.

:greenie:

Ayen
02-23-2014, 02:28 AM

I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHTTTTTT!

Pete for President
02-24-2014, 01:43 AM
25: Okami
24: Hotline Miami
23: Pokémon Blue
22: Demon’s Souls
21: Portal & Portal 2
20: SSX Tricky
19: Modnation Racers
18: Super Mario World
17: Hitman: Absolution
16: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
15: Journey
14: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
13: Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
12: Hitman: Blood Money
11: Tom Clancy’s HAWX
10: Vagrant Story
9: SSX3
8: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
7: Shadow of the Colossus
6: Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins
5: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4: Ace Combat Zero: the Belkan War
3: Metal Gear Solid 1
2: Final Fantasy X
1:

I’LL TRY TO KEEP THIS SHORT OK? :cry:

#1:

Dark Souls

This bone crushing RPG smashed you up and took the following awards:
Biggest hammer
Cutest imaginary pet
Most jolly co-operation
Best boss fights
Best dragonslayer sim
Most exciting PvP
Best game by a mile

Dark Souls is like a vanitas: a work of art dedicated to the thought that everything will one day decay. That, in a sense, is the only enemy in this game.

Dark Souls has a life on it’s own. You don’t get quests. You don’t get told what to do. NPC’s do their own thing whether you like it or not. Do whatever you want, go where you want to go. Give up for all I care. Everything is trout anyway. But don't worry. Level design is so incredibly intuitive you will find your way. You will see familiar faces in random places and find things in other places and then suddenly everything starts to make sense.

And everything does make sense. A lot of it. Every item, every prop, every character, every event, every single thing in this game has been placed with care and reason. Not a single word is wasted and all of these things are tiny pieces to an enormous puzzle called the story and it blew my mind on many occasions.

Multiplayer is one big social experiment that does very weird and awesome things. PvP brings us endless options to fight fellow undead to the death in as many ways your creative mind can handle.

I glee when I win a fight against all odds. I stand in awe when I look through Sen’s window and see an axe wielding giant waiting for me. As I walk down the stairs in Anor Londo I bravely march towards the Gargoyle that storms my way. I feel disappointment when I get smashed by Smough’s Hammer for the 3rd time in a row. I feel relief and comfort when receiving the Lordvessel. I panic when I get invaded. I feel sad when I’m forced to fight a former friend in Izalith. I hold my breath during the last moments of fighting Artorias. I feel pride when a great wolf fights by my side. I run for my life on many occasions.

So many unforgettable moments. I can’t wait for II.

And so ends this top 25 videogame award show! Thank you all for joining me, this was fun :greenie:

Praise the sun!