PDA

View Full Version : V.C. Andrews & "Flowers in the Attic"

noxious.sunshine
01-18-2014, 03:18 AM
I can't help but be mega excited for the remake of this book/movie starring Heather Graham airing on LMN tomorrow night... The original movie really sucked, imo.

Yes, I used to be addicted to V.C. Andrews, though I never finished the Dollanganger series, I read most of the others in highschool.. Even though the set up and dynamics of each storyline are the same.. A girl loses a parent/finds out her parents -aren't- her parents, gets sent to live with rich people, more drama and dark secrets unfold, seemingly there's a happy ending, but then more stuff happens throughout the next book or 2 and the Damsel in Distress winds up with a baby, then the last book from the main story arc is from the kid's POV set several years later then one last book set years before the main story from someone else's POV that was in the main character's life..

Yep, the ghostwriters penning the V.C. Andrews books lost their creativity quickly.. The rest of the Heaven books (Casteel family series) were -ok- (I believe Andrews passed away after writing the first book, maybe the 2nd)...

The Orphans and Shooting Stars collections took a break from the way the other stories had been set up, but the storylines themselves weren't all that original.. There's 1 book for each girl (4 books total) and then a final book that includes all 4 girls and is the conclusion of the overall story.

I know there's still books coming out, but I haven't read any of the more recent stuff...

But anywhooooo yeah.. Flowers in the Attic will air tomorrow night on Lifetime Movie Network at 8/7CST (I think).. Eeeeee!! lol

Miriel
01-18-2014, 03:42 AM
I read Flowers in the Attic when I was VERY young, like 4th grade or something.

I don't know who OK'd that, cause that book is all sorts of SMURFED UP.

But... yeah, I'm kinda interested to see how the Lifetime movie turns out. I hope it's a beautiful mess.

noxious.sunshine
01-18-2014, 03:58 AM
ROFL WTH!? You read it in 4th grade!?

I found my sister's copy in her closet when I was little and I was fascinated with the cover- you know it's got the main cover with a cut out and the girl's face showing through and then you open it and there's the whole picture. It was so eerie and creepy to me! I think I actually had dreams about it, but there was snow involved or something.

I don't remember this (or maybe I wasn't born yet? IDK when it was published), but my mom bought the book for my sister when it came out and my dad called home from a payphone while gone in the truck.. And my sister goes "DAD! We've got Flowers in the Attic!" and my dad was like "WHAT!?" - thinking she was saying that there really -were- flowers growing in the attic.

Shorty
01-18-2014, 04:12 AM
I don't know who OK'd that, cause that book is all sorts of SMURFED UP.

This was my initial reaction as well. Did parents actually read this book before putting it in their kids' hands? My mom rambled on about how much she loved this book and practically shoved it upon my sisters and I. I... don't think she actually read it. There no way she would have handed it over to us if she actually knew what it was about.

I have no interest in seeing this movie at all. VC Andrews is a nut.

noxious.sunshine
01-18-2014, 04:20 AM
Lol I wonder what she was thinking when she came up with these books.

The Man
01-18-2014, 04:27 AM
They had this in the teen section at work, which really made me go wtf. These books are indeed extremely smurfed up. It's like showing the Watership Down movie to kids, except with more incest.

I haven't read them and probably won't watch this but hopefully it won't suck I guess.

noxious.sunshine
01-18-2014, 04:37 AM
huh.

There's a new book being released on Monday, I just read.

The Man
01-18-2014, 04:38 AM
V.C. Andrews is the first author I'm familiar with who continued writing novels after she died. It's pretty commonplace now, but they usually at least credit the ghostwriter on the cover :monster:

noxious.sunshine
01-18-2014, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen credits to the ghost writer in the novels written after she died.

I know his name is Andrew Neiderman .... Unless there's someone else doing it now or he has helpers.

blackmage_nuke
01-18-2014, 08:23 AM
I only saw the movie and thought it was pretty good for the time it was filmed.

noxious.sunshine
01-18-2014, 08:26 AM
I'll be damned.

There's also a movie of "Rain" (Book 1 of the Hudson series) with Faye Dunaway in it.

I need to find this and download it asap.. The trailer actually didn't look bad at all.

blackmage_nuke
01-24-2014, 11:11 AM
I couldnt stop picturing Cathy as Sally from Mad Men because she uses the same semi-emotionless voice.

The bedroom in the new movie seems a lot more comfortable than the one in the old movie.