PDA

View Full Version : Anastasia !

maybee
01-18-2014, 06:38 AM
Chat about this amazing Don Bluth movie here, no Disney didn't make it, even though it looks like they did.

I've loved this movie since the age of about 6. I had to see it twice in cinema's, because it was that awesome, even had the soundtrack and Barbie Dolls of the characters, and a book about Anastasia going to the opera to watch Cinderella.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/3fbe0db60f07a1635bb6fbf1e7702948/tumblr_mkiskm2Lzu1rinl3io7_250.gif

Also please no talk about the real Anastasia, that talk is just too depressing and awkward and imo two different things, this movie is based on the theory that she lived, way before they found her dead body in in the early 00's. That chat belongs in the history section, not a nostalgia Princess movie thread.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7fbe2484e954f090a0e32eb3e50b72e3/tumblr_mkiskm2Lzu1rinl3io2_250.gif

looks at those boobs, holy trout.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/329ac88d34f14e831b347e86df1f6adf/tumblr_moi0o3vUko1r7sa6ro2_500.gif

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-18-2014, 06:40 AM
For the longest time I thought this was a Disney movie. :(

I wanted Anastasia in Kingdom Hearts, haha.

noxious.sunshine
01-18-2014, 07:12 AM
... Just to point out... They never found her body..

The family was collectively thrown into a pit after they were murdered and doused with acid before setting the bodies on fire.

Had Tsar Nicholas been more open to change, things might've turned out differently.

Is there even a history section? I don't think there is.

Anyway. I loved this movie.. I became fascinated with the real Romanov story & Russia after watching this.. The songs were amazing!

EDIT: Actually, they did, but not until much later. And it was hard to get a positive DNA match on the 2 bodies they found in the second grave because of the damage to the remains. Something I just read said that they didn't draw the final conclusions until 2007/2008.. One of the bodies was determined to be Alexei's but the other they aren't sure if it's Maria or Anastasia.

EDIT 2: The animated film is actually more based on the story of Anna Anderson, the woman who claimed to be the Grand Duchess Anastasia and was the most widely accepted of all the impostors claiming to be her. However, the people who supported & accepted her claims were people either only loosely connected to the family (and didn't know the real Anastasia very well) or those who were older, senile, and feeling particularly nostalgic. The Don Bluth movie took that, added some magic, and changed the ending to make it the typical "Fairy Tale Happily Ever After". Anna Anderson was actually a Polish worker who'd disappeared, attempted to commit suicide in Germany, and was locked up in a mental facility where she began taking on different names, finally claiming to be the Grand Duchess, though I believe she continued to call herself Anna Anderson. I could be wrong on that bit.

DNA tests proved later on that Anna was actually Franziska Schanzkowska, and not Anastasia, as she'd been claiming.

Mirage
01-18-2014, 02:41 PM
looks at those boobs, holy trout.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/329ac88d34f14e831b347e86df1f6adf/tumblr_moi0o3vUko1r7sa6ro2_500.gif

Whoa those are some intense breasts

Ayen
01-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Looks like one of many expensive Disney knockoffs when it comes to animation. Everyone was trying to copy them around that time. Now it's just DreamWorks trying to have the same level of success as Pixar and failing.

Shauna
01-18-2014, 04:44 PM
I have always found Anastasia to look very much like a Don Bluth film, and not so much like Disney. Dunno what it is, but there's just something massively different about the way they animated people. But hey ho, that's just me and I enjoyed Thumbelina and A Troll in Central Park more than I ever should have so I supposed I pick up on those things.

I haven't seen this film in a long time, but I enjoyed it when I did.

This reminds me that I should actually get round to watching The Secret of NIMH.

krissy
01-18-2014, 07:46 PM
anastasia is a gem in animated cinema of that era

maybee
01-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Looks like one of many expensive Disney knockoffs when it comes to animation. Everyone was trying to copy them around that time. Now it's just DreamWorks trying to have the same level of success as Pixar and failing.

I hate DreamWorks, but I doubt that they are failing, because How To Train Your Dragon is very successful. Same with Panda, Madagascar, and Shrek.

I have always found Anastasia to look very much like a Don Bluth film, and not so much like Disney. Dunno what it is, but there's just something massively different about the way they animated people. But hey ho, that's just me and I enjoyed Thumbelina and A Troll in Central Park more than I ever should have so I supposed I pick up on those things.

I haven't seen this film in a long time, but I enjoyed it when I did.

This reminds me that I should actually get round to watching The Secret of NIMH.

Same here, it looks more mature and adult than Disney movies from that decade. Yes, agree.

I hated Thumbelina, that smurfing bird smurfed me off, even as a child. " Believe in your heart, and you can do anything " !!!

Uhm, no, how about you use your wings and help Thumbelina by flying her home u lazy smurf.

Ayen
01-19-2014, 10:13 AM

I hate DreamWorks, but I doubt that they are failing, because How To Train Your Dragon is very successful. Same with Panda, Madagascar, and Shrek.

They may see success, but they don't knock it out of the park every time like Pixar does. Hello, Shrek/Ice Age sequels, how are you today? To be fair, though, most movie studios don't. But that's another topic.

I think I've seen the Anastasia girl femslashed with Ariel once. The things you find on YouTube...

maybee
01-19-2014, 10:43 AM
They may see success, but they don't knock it out of the park every time like Pixar does. Hello, Shrek/Ice Age sequels, how are you today? To be fair, though, most movie studios don't. But that's another topic.

Yup, every animation company makes some right stinkers now and again. Don Bluth had a few bombs even, before he did Anastasia.

He was so unhappy with Pebble and the Penguin that he dropped his name from it which breaks my heart, because I love that movie. ;__;

Even Pixar is sort of struggling to please it's fans needs days, by following the DreamWorks train and are creating sequels instead of newer pictures, and not everybody being happy with Brave and Cars.

I think I've seen the Anastasia girl femslashed with Ariel once. The things you find on YouTube...

They're both redheaded rebels, so guess it could work ?

Scotty_ffgamer
01-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Pebble and the Penguin was great.

I've enjoyed pretty much all Don Bluth movies that I've seen as far as I know. Titan A.E. is probably my favorite today, but I was constantly watching Pebble and the Penguin, All Dogs go to Heaven, Anastasia, and Land Before Time as a kid. I would add An American Tail, but I feel like I only ever watched Fievel Goes West which Don Bluth didn't do.

NeoCracker
01-20-2014, 10:15 AM
N.I.H.M. Remains my favorite Don Bluth movie, but I digress. p

I actually found this movie largely forgetable, save for Once Upon a December, which is an absolutely wonderful track. :love:

Night Fury
01-20-2014, 11:11 AM
All Dogs Go To Heaven :heart:

I love Anastasia though. I also love Dreamworks just as much as I love Pixar. How to Train your Dragon is one of my favourite movies ever.

Shaibana
01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
its been too long since i saw this movie :D but i do know i enjoyed it.
i need te watch this movie again soon :D

Pike
01-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Hello, Shrek/Ice Age sequels, how are you today?

Ice Age isn't Dreamworks, it's BlueSky Studios (Robots/Epic/Rio). They also did the special effects behind the original Tron.

Anyways, Anastasia had a friggin' fantastic soundtrack. I like Don Bluth and co. Not remotely afraid to experiment and try different things. Also: Dragon's Lair.

blackmage_nuke
01-24-2014, 11:57 AM
I groaned aloud when they said
"It's a perfect ending."
"No. It's a perfect beginning"

Otherwise great movie