PDA

View Full Version : stupid people at cinemas

Jiro
01-18-2014, 11:32 PM
I went to see The Book Thief last night and we sat down in our seats. Okay so imagine there's a walkway in the middle separating the seating into two halves: we were sat in the back row, right next to the aisle (2 seats btw). Anyway, these people rock up and shuffle over a little and sit down and it's all good for a while, watching the previews.

Then some people show up and stand next to us looking around and they say their seat numbers out loud and I'm like 'oh snap those people are in their seat' and the new people are like 'hey folks you're uh in our' and the chick next to us is like 'uh yeah but THEY'RE in OUR seats' and we're like whoa back the fuck up here are our tickets right here that say our seat number. So anyway those two fuck off somewhere else and the trio of new folk sit down in their designated seats.

Anyway like three minutes later some people show up and apparently the two from earlier are sitting in their seats and the woman just loses her shit and they go home.

I guarantee that her tickets were either a) for different seats b) for a different cinema c) for a different time d) for a different movie altofuckinggether. And I understand how frustrating that must be for her but like either find your seat or find A seat and just bounce around until you're fine. BUT on the flipside holy shit all these people are like "uh you're in my seat" -- the cinema was only like half full at best so it's not like there was a shortage of seats.

I don't understand why going to see a fucking movie is such a trying experience for some people? Also I don't understand why every mother fucker needs a one seat buffer in case of cooties? Like I get that having some personal space is nice but do you know how many extra people could fit if you didn't want to sit away from everyone else I mean fuck.

This is why I stay home and torrent my movies on my own like the sad sack of shit I have become

Jessweeee♪
01-18-2014, 11:41 PM
I've only had pleasant experiences aside from people making out in the AMC theaters too noisily. I mean look, I know it's dark and the comfy seats recline and you can pull the armrest up so it's like a really spacious leather couch but there are people here :(

Slothy
01-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Australia has assigned seats for movie theatres?

It's like some sort of totalitarian dictatorship.

Shauna
01-18-2014, 11:45 PM
We have assigned seats from time to time here, used to be more prevalent but there's been more open seating these days.

Jiro
01-18-2014, 11:46 PM

It's like some sort of totalitarian dictatorship.

don't even get me fucking started

alright too late I'm making a thread

Nicolas
01-19-2014, 12:11 AM
There is one that has assigned seats in ATL too. It's very nice though. The chairs are practically napping beds. Much Amase.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-19-2014, 04:28 AM
There are some theaters around KC that do assigned seats. I don't know if your aware of the Alamo Drafthouse, Jinx, but I'm pretty sure they do assigned seats.

Anyways, the only thing I really have to deal with in theaters is people talking. I saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty recently, and there were several people who liked to talk at the movie. Such as, if you've seen the trailers, when the e-Harmony guy on the phone tells Walter "So have you done anything worthwhile or worth mentioning?" or however it's worded, the people in front of us had to say "NO!" really loud. Lots of moments like that.

My favorite memory of people talking has to be when I saw Transformers 2 (which wasn't a good movie, so it wasn't that big a deal). The guy next to me kept answering his phone like every 10-20 minutes. "Yeah! I'm at the movies! I'll call you back later!" His phone was kept on silent, but it didn't stop him from answering. Also his son was being very cutely excited throughout the whole movie. He would be jumping up and down in his seat sometimes yelling things like "Look dad, it's Optimus Prime!" "It's a tiny decepticon!" etc etc. I honestly thought it made the movie more interesting, but it was kind of annoying.

blackmage_nuke
01-19-2014, 04:52 AM
At first I hated assigned seating because
a) when the ticket seller asked you where you wanted to sit and you'd say as close to the centre back as possible (like a normal human) and they'd stick you too close to the screen or too much to the side
b) because I was one of those sad people who went to the cinema early to get a good seat before the previews
c) you had to purchase all your tickets at once so no one is made to sit far away which is a problem if they only sell one student ticket per student card or someone doesnt show up

however now there are self serve touch screens and choosing my own seat is very convenient.

I'll usually make a fuss if someone is in my seat because
a) Unlike in QLD it's $17 a ticket so yes I want to sit in the awesome seat I assigned myself not a troutty off centre one.
b) I dont want to accidentally sit in someone elses seat and have to go through the same awkwardness a second time on the wrong end.

I hate when someone talks loudly in a cinema, especially if its not about the movie, but I usually wont do anything about it.
There were young children litterally running around making noise when I went to see the last Harry Potter movie (I went early on a monday weeks after it came out just to avoid this problem.)

I also hate it when the speakers are up WAY too loud.

Ayen
01-19-2014, 05:05 AM
We don't have assigned seats for the theaters we go to, and thankfully we haven't had to deal with stupid people at the cinema in general. On the road to the cinema, maybe, but never at the actual cinema.

maybee
01-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Must be a Book Thief thing, because when I went to go see the movie, some 11 year old brat keep on poking me all throughout the movie.

I turned around and gave him the evil stare and to his Mum, and like 5 mins later, the poking started happening again.

I should have thrown my popcorn at him.

assigned seats for movie theatres?

This not a common worldwide thing ??

Jiro
01-19-2014, 10:49 AM
a) Unlike in QLD it's $17 a ticket so yes I want to sit in the awesome seat I assigned myself not a troutty off centre one.

I'm pretty sure this is what I pay, or thereabouts, even on a student ticket. There's this one cinema in brisbane that does $8 student tickets though and it's almost worth it. Cinemas are bollocks expensive everywhere man :(

also Scotty I had an interesting experience at Transformers 2 as well. This guy next to me kept trying to have a conversation. He was a bit of a douche bag and was making lewd comments about Megan Fox so I told him I was gay and he shut up

blackmage_nuke
01-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Everyone i know who visits QLD tells me how ridiculously cheap tickets are ($12 or so)

Jiro
01-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Everyone i know who visits QLD tells me how ridiculously cheap tickets are ($12 or so)

where the hell are they going?! prices are generally between 15-18 + extra if it's 3D but I guess there are loads of independent places that are cheaper? Event Cinemas are not cheap by any stretch unless I've been getting screwed

Aulayna
01-19-2014, 12:54 PM
I didn't even know cinemas had assigned seats anymore. :o

Mirage
01-19-2014, 02:13 PM

Is that... unusual? :confused:

Sephiroth
01-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Watching movies in cinema is serious business.

I only don't like it when I watch a movie and people are talking so loud that I cannot hear the movie.

Slothy
01-19-2014, 02:22 PM

Is that... unusual? :confused:

Yes. Yes it is. I've never heard of that in my life.

Mirage
01-19-2014, 02:23 PM
I've never been to a cinema where you haven't been assigned seats.

Slothy
01-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Well, there are more people in the US and Canada leaving your dictatorship in the minority.

Mo-Nercy
01-19-2014, 02:29 PM
I hate it when I buy tickets online for the sole purpose of being able to pick my seat and I get there and someone's already smurfing sitting in them.

90% of the time they'll move once I tell them they're in our seats, but it's that remaining 10% of people that either
a) try to convince me that I'm wrong
b) say something like "bro, it's fine - just sit somewhere else"
that really cheese me off.

I reserve couples seats for a reason ;_;

kotora
01-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Assigned seats are pretty common at multiplexes in Europe. When you buy a ticket, you get to pick your seat on the screen.

We had a rule of thumb back in NL: don't go to blockbusters in cinemas on friday or saturday night, that's when all the moroccans, black dudes and other lower class scum will be out in groups. If you end up with them at the same screen it's a guaranteed shit experience. It's better to go in the mornings in general, cause tickets are half price and you always get to pick your seats.

If possible, I like to avoid multiplexes in favour of the small arthouse cinemas, away from the commoners and commercial garbage :monster:

Sephiroth
01-19-2014, 03:13 PM
I hate it when I buy tickets online for the sole purpose of being able to pick my seat and I get there and someone's already smurfing sitting in them.

90% of the time they'll move once I tell them they're in our seats, but it's that remaining 10% of people that either
a) try to convince me that I'm wrong
b) say something like "bro, it's fine - just sit somewhere else"
that really cheese me off.

I reserve couples seats for a reason ;_;

Next time react like Ben:

FRIENDS Ben Stiller as 'The Screamer' - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPiMPwDin7U)

escobert
01-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Wait.. people still waste their money going to a movie theater!? :p

Shiny
01-19-2014, 05:16 PM
California does too. I agree it's weird.

Wait.. people still waste their money going to a movie theater!? :p
It's not a waste, and perhaps I should buy bootlegs of your shampoos then you can see how that effects your industry. I think certain movies are only enjoyable to see in theaters because you get the full experience of seeing all of the scene (not just the cropped television version) and the sound design. Notably Inception was more more enjoyable on the silver screen than it was when I was watching on a smaller screen.

escobert
01-19-2014, 05:31 PM
I didn't say anything about bootlegs missy! All I said was going to the theater where they charge you up the ass for everything. :p

I too enjoyed a lot of movies at the theaters but, I think the prices are ridiculous when I can make my own popcorn and watch it in the comfort of my own home for a third of the price.

noxious.sunshine
01-19-2014, 06:02 PM
I have never heard of assigned seating in a theater.

What is this sorcery!?

I usually wait until the movie has been out for a month or two before I go see it... So that that the theater isn't crowded. And I take my big purse and hit up Dollar Tree beforehand to stock up on snacks and drinks and junk so that I don't have to pay $1,000 for popcorn and drinks.

Calliope
01-19-2014, 06:21 PM
I do not find assigned seating to be unusual, but I usually watch movies at home. After putting up with about 40 minutes of a loud drunk guy behind us obnoxiously talking through our special screening of Evil Dead 2, I turned around and screamed at him to shut up. He shut up, the rest of the movie was awesome, as was the Q&A with Mr Campbell afterwards.

Mirage
01-19-2014, 07:26 PM
I didn't say anything about bootlegs missy! All I said was going to the theater where they charge you up the ass for everything. :p

I too enjoyed a lot of movies at the theaters but, I think the prices are ridiculous when I can make my own popcorn and watch it in the comfort of my own home for a third of the price.

And half a year later, when you've gotten the ending spoiled on the internet.

The Man
01-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Not if you torrent :monster:

Mirage
01-19-2014, 07:51 PM
because every movie gets a dvd-quality leak at the time of the theatrical release, right`. Not to mention, even DVD quality sucks by todays standards

The Man
01-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Fair point I suppose, but there are enough out there. Quite a few movies in theatres already seem to be in BluRay quality, actually.

Calliope
01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
In favour of watching in theatres:
-Experiencing the film at the time of release
-Seeing cool trailers for upcoming releases
-Watching it in a room that was built for the sole purpose of watching films, with better sound and picture quality than you'd get at home
-Having no distractions - just be in the moment of the movie
-Being in a room full of people who are excited to watch the movie, and willing to spend money/travel in order to do so
-Possibility of special events, midnight screenings, 3D/IMAX, costumes, director/actor appearances

In favour of watching at home:
-Free, or much cheaper than theatres
-Can watch at your leisure, with pauses for bathroom breaks if necessary
-Can eat or drink whatever you want
-Trousers are optional
-Very low risk of being interrupted or shot at

Mirage
01-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Theatres are also free, if you're willing to break the law.

Aulayna
01-19-2014, 08:53 PM
After going to the IMAX in Downtown Disney in Anaheim when I was in Cali. If every cinema was like that, I would live there.

maybee
01-19-2014, 08:54 PM
America with your strange non-assigned cinema's and Mc Donalds

Sephex
01-19-2014, 09:01 PM
-Very low risk of being interrupted or shot at

You'd hate my movie marathons at my place then. :(

Mirage
01-19-2014, 09:45 PM
THere's probably a strong causal link between theatre shootouts and lack of seat assignment.

escobert
01-19-2014, 10:07 PM

And half a year later, when you've gotten the ending spoiled on the internet.

I actually have little trouble with this. TV shows or books are spoiled for me far more often than movies.

Jiro
01-20-2014, 01:11 AM
It's not a waste, and perhaps I should buy bootlegs of your shampoos then you can see how that effects your industry. I think certain movies are only enjoyable to see in theaters because you get the full experience of seeing all of the scene (not just the cropped television version) and the sound design. Notably Inception was more more enjoyable on the silver screen than it was when I was watching on a smaller screen.

I watched Inception on this HUGE screen so I couldn't see the whole screen at once cause parts of it were in like my peripherals and it was awesome but I could've used a slightly smaller screen. But yes your point is absolutely right. I go to the cinema to watch films I think will be enhanced by the experience.

Jessweeee♪
01-20-2014, 01:31 AM
Some movies are like, if you're gonna watch them at all you should watch them in the theater unless you dropped like $10,000 on the best home theater equipment there is.

Gravity is a good recent example. The sound design and pretty space visuals are way more amazing in the theater. The Anchorman sequel on the other hand is equally funny at home as it is in the theater.

[Gravity] - 02 - Debris - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zY1wd1ysu8)

The Man
01-20-2014, 01:33 AM
Yeah there's no way I'd ever have expected Gravity to be the same kind of experience at home as it was in the theatre. Some films just demand to be seen in theatres.

Shiny
01-20-2014, 01:49 AM
because every movie gets a dvd-quality leak at the time of the theatrical release, right`. Not to mention, even DVD quality sucks by todays standards

Yeah, but all the Oscar nominated films are on DVD thankfully because they send screeners to people in the Academy. They better send goddamn 12 Years a Slave.

Shorty
01-20-2014, 05:20 AM
When people are assholes in cinemas now who do not stop talking, I will stand the smurf up and tell them to be quiet. I don't care. If you smurf with my immersion into the film I am watching, prepare to get some fiery redheaded wrath coming your way, asses.

Shaibana
01-20-2014, 12:32 PM
i always want to watch the movie first in the Cinema, the experience is just alot better then when you sit at home.

ive never had trouble with the seats, but once there was a couple, they sat 3-4 seats on our right (empty seats between us) and that guy left the room every 10 minutes with his phone :S i felt so sorry for that girl.
if he was my boyfriend i would have taken his phone already!!

luckely that guy sat at the top left corner, and could walk behind the last row so he didnt bother anyone.. except his girlfriend

Bubba
01-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately, I have been guilty of being one of the stupid people in the cinema. Admittedly, I wasn't as bad as my two friends but I still feel guilty to this day. We'd had a few drinks and decided to go and watch Team America even though we'd already seen it online. We pretty much chatted throughout about all the bits coming up. Thinking back, I was surprised no-one objected the whole way through.

I wouldn't dream of doing it now though. I only go to the cinema if it's a big blockbuster I've been dying to see. I'm pretty lucky in that my girlfriend has a HD, surround-sound cinema room in her house!

Not the clearest pic but you get the idea :D

Scotty_ffgamer
01-20-2014, 04:58 PM
I have been a stupid person at the cinema once, but the only people in the theatre were me and another friend so I didn't really feel bad about it. We were watching Dragonball Evolution and we were riffing the movie the entire time. It was great.

noxious.sunshine
01-20-2014, 10:54 PM
We went to the movies this afternoon and saw "Lone Survivor"

People srsly still clap at the end of a movie!? lol

Shorty
01-20-2014, 11:05 PM
I've clapped before at the end of a movie, though I don't remember which one. I also cheered when Cillian Murphy resurfaced in The Dark Knight Rises.

Fonzie
01-20-2014, 11:08 PM
But if I don't clap after movies how will I remember I'm an American? :confused:

Jessweeee♪
01-21-2014, 01:51 AM
Everytime I watch a movie people clap at the end and whoever I'm watching it with will remark "you don't see that anymore." BUT IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME

Sephex
01-21-2014, 01:58 AM
The clapping thing doesn't bother me if it is at the end of a movie. I always viewed it as something that just carried over from theater. You enjoyed the performance, so you feel like clapping. No one actually thinks anyone that worked on/was in the movie can hear them. It's just something you do in an audience to show appreciation or whatever.

Personally, I am dead silent in a theater, but as long as people aren't clapping and cheering at every damn thing DURING the movie, then whatever. Not really that big of a deal.

noxious.sunshine
01-21-2014, 02:12 AM
It doesn't bother me, either, I just think it's friggin weird as chuck.

Shaibana
01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
i have never seen anyone clap after a movie

Fonzie (http://home.eyesonff.com/members/15950.html)
aamagaaad u stole my sig! :O (see the spoiler thing) i was going to put that in front again when GOT begins xD

maybee
01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
I've only been in a Cinema were the audience loudly clapped in a massive applause, twice.

One was Batman Dark Knight and the other was Frozen recently.

Christmas
01-09-2023, 10:47 AM
CBA to watch movies in Cinema nowadays. :(

Quindiana Jones
01-26-2023, 03:25 PM
First time I experienced clapping at the cinema was in Paris after watching Magic Mike.

Was weird.

Mr Gashtacular
01-28-2023, 11:44 AM
i havent been in a while! i would like to go soon. if anyone is going to the cinema and would like company, please let me know!

Christmas
01-28-2023, 12:22 PM
Would need your dad, Devil man to sign the consent form or something before you can go out. :bigsmile: