PDA

View Full Version : From Dusk till Dawn

Ayen
01-19-2014, 05:45 AM
Has anyone ever seen this? It's basically George Clooney versus vampires, before a few years ago I didn't know such an invention existed. Originally came out in January of 1996 so I'm guessing this was before he became big? Because... it kinda has that B movie feel about it and I can't imagine him doing it if he was a big name at the time.

Discuss.

Spuuky
01-19-2014, 06:03 AM
It's a Robert Rodriguez film written by Quentin Tarantino, which should tell you everything you need to know about it.

George Clooney was already famous by then, but it was as a TV actor, not a movie star.

Ayen
01-19-2014, 07:09 AM
It's a Robert Rodriguez film written by Quentin Tarantino, which should tell you everything you need to know about it.

I don't know who any of those people are. *Googles their films* Ohh, I see what you're driving at.

I forgot George got his start on ER. And now I know the answer for every time I always asked, "Where have I seen this woman before?" when Maura Tierney appears on my television screen.

Spuuky
01-19-2014, 10:53 AM
You don't know who Quentin Tarantino is? I can understand Robert Rodriguez if you aren't the kind of person who watches a lot of movies, but QT is basically a household name, like Steven Spielberg or something.

Forsaken Lover
01-19-2014, 03:19 PM
He likes feet.

Sephiroth
01-19-2014, 03:21 PM
I have the movie on DVD, Tarantino is as crazy in his movie as the movie itself.

I like it.

And I like Salma Hayek dancing.

Ayen
01-20-2014, 01:14 AM
You don't know who Quentin Tarantino is? I can understand Robert Rodriguez if you aren't the kind of person who watches a lot of movies, but QT is basically a household name, like Steven Spielberg or something.

I'm bad with names. Sure I saw his face before somewhere.

Quindiana Jones
01-20-2014, 03:28 AM
I kind of love this movie. The whole way through it's this intense thriller, and then at the end they're just "PSYCH! VAMPIRES! PENIS GUN!" and it just goes to shit.

Awesome stuff.

Shorty
01-20-2014, 04:59 AM
This movie is great. It's a little hokey at times, but I also kindof love it. I am a fan of any Tarantino/Rodriguez combo. And Juliette Lewis is a babe, as always.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7512b9431e15c7b79f53193522cdc14f/tumblr_mfpksw4CRw1qkyz1oo1_500.png

Isn't there a second one? I haven't seen the second one.

Ayen
01-20-2014, 05:07 AM
There were a second and third one, actually. Texas Blood Money and The Hangman's Daughter. There's even a video game.

Shorty
01-20-2014, 05:09 AM
Looked them both up and yeah, have essentially no interest whatsoever.

Ayen
01-20-2014, 05:11 AM
That sums up most direct-to-video sequels.

Shaibana
01-20-2014, 12:56 PM
this movie was just so... weird.

im not even sure if i loved it or hate it :P
first time i watched it on tv was becaus the tv guide gave it very good critics

Bubba
01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
I like Salma Hayek dancing.

Clearly the highlight of the film.

I was a bit miffed actually when the vampires made their appearance. Up until that point is was actually a really good film. It just seemed to switch to a daft B Movie halfway through.

That being said it's still a pretty fun watch.

Mirage
01-20-2014, 03:00 PM
I didn't know people didn't know about classic tarantino movies like this one

AssassinDX
01-20-2014, 03:02 PM
I watched it a long time ago, and I remember enjoying it. I thought Tarantino was hilarious as well.

Fun fact, I just went on Wikipedia to remind myself of the plot and discovered a tv series is being made (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Dusk_Till_Dawn:_The_Series). I'm not convinced it's going to be any good looking at the cast, particularly when it's headlined by Robert Patrick who tends to be included for his so-called 'star power' for crappy movies and TV shows. It also includes Don Johnson of Miami Vice and Nash Bridges fame in the 80's, the guy who hosted that 'Yo Momma' thing a few years back on MTV, some dude who had a part in the G.I Joe movie who now plays Seth Gecko and the guy who plays his brother Richie hasn't done much of note in his career so far. That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Shorty
01-20-2014, 05:52 PM
It just seemed to switch to a daft B Movie halfway through.

It seems to me that he likes throwing one of these out every so often and the B movie feel is on purpose. This film, Planet Terror, Machete, etc.

I like it because if he tried to turn this film into a serious thing, it would flop. Same with Planet Terror; these were both great because they didn't take themselves seriously. Can't say I have an interest in seeing Machete, but it's probably along the same.

Mirage
01-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Machete was awesome :colbert:

Shauna
01-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Machete was awesome :colbert:

Yep.

I haven't seen this movie in years. I should watch it again!

Psychotic
01-20-2014, 09:58 PM
It's a really good movie if you take it with a pinch of salt.

Kalevala
01-20-2014, 10:43 PM
It's always been one of those movies I intend to get around to watching, yet never do.

Mercen-X
01-24-2014, 07:54 PM
All I have to do is read the synopses for the sequels to know how much they'll suck compared to this movie. The one part of this film I did not like was the ending when I thought that George Clooney should be a "f-ing asshole". I mean, he says he's not and then he just abandons that chick in the middle of nowhere. Sure, she's got a car, but does she really know where she's going?

Shorty
01-24-2014, 08:02 PM
What the hell is he going to do with a fifteen year old girl or however old she is? She isn't his responsibility, and he clearly is living a life doused in crime. Better off, I say.