PDA

View Full Version : All the horses in video games have poor genes.

Loony BoB
01-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Because damn they're so slooooow. It actually defies gravity on occasion. I remember in Assassin's Creed (1, the original) I was impressed with the horse speed as you could get into a real gallop. But in II and Brotherhood, oh man. So many video games suffer from this - I think TES was mentioned by Mike in XIV chat just now as another example. So, in this thread, discuss the use of horses in video games and their speed. Which has the fastest horse? Which has the slowest? Which horses are best all round? Which use them in peculiar ways? Horsey time.

Ayen
01-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Only horses I ever rode on were Epona and the horse in AC2. I think the AC2 horse was faster, but Epona is just better overall because nostalgia.

Bubba
01-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Nah, some of them were pretty fast I thought. When you get Epona up to her fourth or fifth carrot she is properly flying. Agro from Shadow of the Colossus probably wasn't the fastest but dammit man... she did her job!

Probably the fastest though were the ones that Drake rode in Uncharted 3. They kept pace with those cars at any rate which is good enough for me.

Also, the Kentucky Saddler from Red Dead Redemption waves a hoof.

TrollHunter
01-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Well, there's the skyrim horse. I'm not sure if its genes are bad or ridiculously godlike though. They're not super fast... but they can break physics. That has to count for something right?

Pike
01-19-2014, 10:38 AM
There's a lore reason for why the Skyrim horses are slow which is that they are bred to traverse rugged terrain, not to go fast. The Oblivion horses are considerably faster because you know, the well groomed roads of Cyrodiil*, but they're also much more fragile.

Fun fact: There's also a lore reason for why there are no horses in Morrowind. The Dunmer eat them! :D

Now World of Warcraft has got some fast horses. Also flying horses. And ghost horses. And all sorts of fun things.

* Which used to be a thick rainforesty jungle and not a nice quiet countryside but then Tiber Septim showed up and turned it into England because he discovered CHIM and wanted to show off although let's all be honest rainforesty Cyrodiil would have been so much cooler THANKS TALOS :nonono:

Spuuky
01-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Red Hare is pretty fast.

Horses aren't really THAT fast. They certainly aren't as fast as average or even slow cars. And they typically don't gallop everywhere, because that would exhaust them incredibly quickly. Do you want to deal with horse stamina in your games?

TrollHunter
01-19-2014, 11:49 AM
There's a lore reason for why the Skyrim horses are slow which is that they are bred to traverse rugged terrain, not to go fast. The Oblivion horses are considerably faster because you know, the well groomed roads of Cyrodiil*, but they're also much more fragile.

And they're definitely very good at that.
http://mimg.ugo.com/201201/2/0/3/216302/cuts/skyrimx-large_528_poster.jpg

Old Manus
01-19-2014, 02:56 PM
People are too used to seeing racehorses. Flat track thoroughbreds have serious gas, but they're bred to race, not carry people over long distances. Real horses are nowhere near that kind of speed even at full gallop.

Pike
01-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah, that's also very true. A racing thoroughbred can go about 1 1/4 miles at a ~35mph gallop, presuming they're carrying a tiny individual (jockeys weigh like 110lbs) who is balanced over their withers in such a way that they can maintain maximum speed. A quarter horse can go upwards of 45mph but for a much shorter distance (hence the name "quarter horse" - this speed can only be maintained for a quarter mile or less) and that's going to be about as fast as a horse can get.

An every day horse, carrying an everyday load and going for a long distance, probably isn't going to often top 20-25mph.

Sephiroth
01-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Slepnir/Slavenil for Odin
Ruin for War
Despair for Death

Pretty cool and powerful horses.

Pete for President
01-19-2014, 04:15 PM
"AGROOO!" :cry:

Del Murder
01-19-2014, 06:12 PM
The Red Dead horses were pretty fast. Also horse stamina does exist in games. :sebastian: The only horse I ever thought was too slow was the one in Shadow of Colossus.

Fynn
01-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Maybe they're all just coldbloods? That makes sense, cause they're not as temperamental as the faster hotbloods.

Dr Unne
01-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Ruin for War
Despair for Death

No complaints about Darksiders horse speed. Granted, they are demon horses. They kind of have horse stamina too, for doing short dashes, but it regenerates fast.

Chocobo speed in FFXIV was pretty annoyingly slow, come to think of it.

Sephiroth
01-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Ruin for War
Despair for Death

No complaints about Darksiders horse speed. Granted, they are demon horses. They kind of have horse stamina too, for doing short dashes, but it regenerates fast.

Chocobo speed in FFXIV was pretty annoyingly slow, come to think of it.

I did not complain about them as you might see with my last line.

Dr Unne
01-19-2014, 07:51 PM
I did not complain about them as you might see with my last line.

Yes, I was agreeing with you.

Jessweeee♪
01-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Red Dead Redemption had the best horses.

They can fly! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKbTVOV6xpI)

And build machines that can fly! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vavUXJXV7ec)

Loony BoB
01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Re: "but horses don't really move that fast all the time" - yeah, and people don't normally kill 5,000 people without getting themselves killed, let alone cast magic spells, get healed instantly and go through endless days without any food, sleep or pooping. >=(

Horses don't normally gallop all the time, this is true. But I would gladly take "can gallop, then needs a break" over "animates in galloping motion, moves at trotting speed, makes it look like it's kind of defying gravity in doing so".

Pike
01-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Yeah but what other thread am I gonna be able to go full grognard about horses in?

Ayen
01-20-2014, 11:20 AM
people don't normally kill 5,000 people without getting themselves killed, let alone cast magic spells, get healed instantly and go through endless days without any food, sleep or pooping. >=(

I always knew I was special.

Botchmun
01-20-2014, 12:02 PM
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/halolz-dot-com-skyrim-physics-bitchimahorse.jpg

I tend to ride horses in Skyrim for other reasons... Or let them follow me and fight enemies.

That being said I wonder how long it'll go until this devolves into a discussion of the My Little Pony video games.

Psychotic
01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Solution: Chocobos in every game!

Loony BoB
01-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Solution: Chocobos in every game!
As Unne has pointed out, sadly, chocobos in FFXIV are pretty slow, too. :( I think they were faster in the old version, but not by a huge amount.

Slothy
01-20-2014, 01:35 PM
"AGROOO!" :cry:

Took way to many posts to get to Agro.

And considering you frequently do things like shoot from horseback, Agro was not too slow Del.

Pike
01-20-2014, 02:14 PM
That being said I wonder how long it'll go until this devolves into a discussion of the My Little Pony video games.

There are no good My Little Pony games. :(

Kalevala
01-20-2014, 05:17 PM

There are no good My Little Pony games. :(

And it begins.

Mercen-X
01-23-2014, 11:53 PM
I almost forgot about Agro. I haven't played many games that have horses in them. I've played Majora's Mask and a bit of Ocarina of Time... was Epona in those? I don't remember. I've played an online flash game wherein you have to get a horse from one side of the screen to the other (score measured by distance traveled) but I always got flipped upside down because I don't know how to be a horse.

Spuuky
01-24-2014, 12:58 AM
There are no good My Little Pony games. :(Nor could there ever conceivably be one, by the nature of the subject.

Shaibana
01-24-2014, 02:54 PM
the horses in Red Dead Redemption are actually pretty realistic.
they look at move very amazing

its the first game where i was impressed by the horses

Electroshock Therapy
02-06-2014, 02:08 AM
Argo from Shadow of the Colossus is one I always have a hard time steering. A bit of a doofus, that horse is. Then again, I'm not a horse person in real life. Maybe Argo sense this. ;)

escobert
02-06-2014, 02:19 AM
wait... you mean I can't go up or down 90 degree slopes with my horse in real life like Skyrim!? WTH

I wanna see some little Icelandic horses in a game!

Botchmun
02-06-2014, 06:25 AM
An unverified rumour that you'll all believe anyways (because it comes from me) is that Gearbox, the company that made Duke Nukem Forever, the Borderlands games, and Aliens: Colonial Marines has acquired the rights to make the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic game.

It is at this time that I wish I had a video clip of Wade Barrett loudly declaring "BUT I'M AFRAID I'VE GOT SOME BAD NEWS" to post here, and also at this time that you all realize this thread is going to collapse in on itself on a quantum level.

Bubba
02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
All these horses with poor genes is unrepresentative of some of more quality breeds...

I thought I'd post a picture of a horse with excellent genes

Skyblade
02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Except that what you've shown is not a horse, Bubba.

Bubba
02-06-2014, 01:42 PM
It's close enough for me

Botchmun
02-09-2014, 02:12 AM
Bubba, that's Sarah Michelle Geller.

blackmage_nuke
02-09-2014, 03:50 AM
The horse in Last of Us was fun for a bit then just became bothersome

Flaming Ice
02-09-2014, 04:32 AM
Skyrim Horses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfEU7oY_VU8)