PDA

View Full Version : FREE GAME - La-Mulana on Steam. Details inside!

Dr Unne
01-21-2014, 08:12 AM
In honor of the Kickstarter, post in this thread saying that you're interested, and I'll pick two of you at random this Friday to get a free copy of La-Mulana on Steam. :eek::eek::eek:

Original post:

La-Mulana 2 by Playism Games - Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/la-mulana-2)

The original La-Mulana is a classic platformer that inspired a lot of metroidvania games that came after it (including one of my all-time favorite games, Spelunky). It was all about puzzles, exploration, non-linearity, high difficulty and no hand-holding whatsoever. The art and music and atmosphere of the game are really good in the remake (on Steam, go buy it).

La-Mulana 2 seems like an awesome idea and I hope they're funded. I'm pretty sure they will be, this game is unique and has a following. I threw my $15 at them for sure.

Pike
01-21-2014, 10:26 AM
I spent an hour or two with La Mulana before quitting because it was too difficult and I didn't feel like spending the time required to master it. That's right, I am a dirty casual. :(

at least I still enjoyed my time with it, unlike say Dark Souls :shobon:

I know a few people who looooove that game though and I can certainly see why.

Dr Unne
01-21-2014, 06:51 PM
My first experience with La-Mulana was walking one screen over from the start screen and seeing a bird.

"Oh, I'll jump over and hit it with my whip", I thought. I proceeded to execute the most awkward jump in the history of jumps.

"Oh, you can't change direction mid-air. This isn't Mario", I realized, as my character proceeded on a path that was definitely not conducive to whipping anything. But I had already triggered the bird's pinpoint laser tracking system, causing it to levitate gently and then launch across the screen at me like a guided missile.

The mid-air impact from the bird knocked me the game equivalent of 20 feet backward in a parabolic arc. I landed back on the previous screen. At this point I realized I had no way to heal myself. Also the bird had respawned.

But a few hours into the game, once you've gotten some of the subweapons and a health upgrade and figured out a couple puzzles, and gotten used to the goofy control system, it gets way more fun. Then the hard part becomes putting the clues together to solve the puzzles. And some of the puzzles are pretty absurd. At one point I had a notebook with a page half-filled. It's pretty awesome.

Pike
01-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Oh hey, perfect timing! It's 90% off on Steam today. Save 90% on La-Mulana on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/230700/)

I really should give the game another try.

Dr Unne
01-21-2014, 09:44 PM
There's no excuse not to get this game for $1.50. :eek:

Dr Unne
01-22-2014, 03:44 AM
Bumping in case anyone wants free games for free that I'm giving away free of charge.

Nicolas
01-22-2014, 04:07 AM
Honestly, I do love masochistic games. It's a reasonable price too. If I end up enjoying it, I'll probably put some money towards the KS.

Pete for President
01-22-2014, 04:08 AM
at least I still enjoyed my time with it, unlike say Dark Souls :shobon:

My heart cries but I understand :cry:

Also, it looks like a fun game but it seems to be Windows only so I won't be able to run it. You're a very generous person Dr. Unne and props for that!

Spuuky
01-22-2014, 05:49 AM
I can't decide if I want it, even for free. I have so many other things to play.

NeoCracker
01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Eh, I'd try a free game. I know pretty much nothing about this game anyway. :p

Rostum
01-22-2014, 10:00 PM
I love these types of games!

Raistlin
01-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Unne's post makes me want to try this game, but I doubt I'll have time for a while. On the other hand, I might not ever get around to it if it's not just handed to me, so throw my name in the hat.

Jiro
01-23-2014, 01:17 AM
Yeah, go on, I'll give it a go! I need more whip action in my life :aimsun:

Dr Unne
01-23-2014, 09:05 PM
I look forward to two of you playing this game for 20 minutes and then letting it languish in your Steam library for years.

Tasura
01-24-2014, 01:55 AM
I look forward to two of you playing this game for 20 minutes and then letting it languish in your Steam library for years.

I've had the game for months and I finally put 2 hours into it :D?

Jiro
01-25-2014, 05:30 AM

If nothing else I will play it long enough to get the trading cards :D?

Dr Unne
01-28-2014, 12:09 AM
random.org's atmospheric-noise-based true random number generator has proclaimed the winners:

Raistlin and Rostum

PM me your email address so I can send you a Steam code. Or friend me on Steam, my username is cdaddr. Have fun.