PDA

View Full Version : BLIZZARD INCOMING

Raistlin
01-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Does it snow much where you live? Do you like when it snows? How does your area react to snow? Are you forced to go to work/school even if you have to exit your house from a window, or does your city/county/state freak out into a blind panic at the first sight of a flurry?

My area definitely leans toward the latter. Today, the Maryland state government elected to preemptively shut down all state buildings around noon (it was supposed to start snowing where I am sometime in the early afternoon -- with an expected accumulation of a whopping 5-8 inches throughout the evening and night). Because the court is a state building, the doors were locked by law after the morning docket. The local administrative judge said "wtf, it's not even snowing yet, and the judiciary is independent, we're still having court." While it is true that the judiciary is an independent branch of government and the judges could technically hold court, they can't do anything about the doors being locked and nobody being let in. And then the Governor apparently called and said what I'm sure was something to the effect of "I said to shut down, goddammit." And so court was closed.

It didn't actually start snowing -- lightly, at that -- until 5 PM anyway. There's currently maybe 2 inches on the ground.

Best of all, according to the court's website, my county's courts have already been declared closed for tomorrow.

Share your snow stories, especially those of comic overreaction.

Shiny
01-22-2014, 02:13 AM
Yes, and I'm sick of it. This year and last has been the worse in terms of weird climate changes and just horrid weather. One day it's 52 the next it's 12 degrees and damn there in the negatives with wind chill. Anyone who says they love this weather is insane.

It's a good 8 inches of snow out right now. The snow messed up my plans today and will most likely mess up my plans for tomorrow as well. This is balls.

Jessweeee♪
01-22-2014, 02:25 AM
I'm in south Texas so I haven't seen snow since 2004 Christmas Eve snowstorm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Christmas_Eve_snowstorm)

I made a snow man Christmas morning all by myself. My little brother was too busy playing the copy of GTA San Andreas I received as a gift to help :(

starlet
01-22-2014, 02:32 AM
We got a lot of show here, maybe a foot? I'm not sure. I don't mind the snow so much, at least looking at it, but I do hate being on the road in it. People drive like idiots. Just because you have a 4 x 4 truck doesn't mean you should be going fast. Have fun trying to stop at the light! But I wouldn't want to live somewhere where it didn't snow at all, it is pretty to look at. Especially when its untouched and at night...

Oh we had a ton of school closings too a couple weeks ago and it didn't even snow yet. I think that might have been more because of the temperature.

noxious.sunshine
01-22-2014, 02:39 AM
It snowed here in Hell, TX on Christmas last year. A good like 5 inches or so.. Transformers in town blew and we had no power for like a day and a half..

It was pretty amusing though.. The dumbasses that live here kept coming over and trying to use our internet. They thought that because we had the RV hooked up to the generator on my dad's truck and had electricity, we also had internet service. We pulled Parker around on this ghetto sled we made out of foamy poster board and my dad's cane.

In Tennessee, if there's a warning of snow, people rush out to buy all of the bread and milk and stuff 'cuz they think it's the Apocalypse and the world is gonna end. ...... Naturally, I just worry about all the alcohol being snapped up, so I -have- to make a trip.

It snowed once when I worked at Subway.. We were totes dead, so I went out back, made a mini-snowman and used black olive slices for the eyes, a couple of carrot shreds for the nose, and stuck a cigarette butt in it for it's mouth. And of course sticks for the arms. And I found one of those plastic caps that come on the toys in the quarter machines in grocery stores and put it on its head... My manager and I stuck it in the freezer back behind the cases of Veggie Max patties - where he lived for at least a month. XD

Jowy
01-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Current Top 10 Snowiest US Cities | Golden Snow Globe National Snow Contest (http://goldensnowglobe.com/current-top-10-snowiest-cities/)

I am from the snowiest city in America; winter is long and oppressive. The snow starts before Halloween and ends after Easter. They got blasted with something like 13.9 inches overnight back in December. We had half an inch of snow here for three hours here in Seattle and schools were cancelled along with major transit delays.

Shorty
01-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Two of the four states I've lived in receive a hearty dose of snow each year. This year in Coeur d'Alene it's lacking quite a bit, which is weird and disappointing. I so prefer snow to sun and cold to heat.

Everyone is pretty well-prepared and the chance of anything shutting down for a snow day is slim to none unless you literally cannot get out your front door.

I'll tell you what's not awesome, though. Passing under a street signal and a blanket of snow deciding to fall right at that same time that you go underneath it, becoming sufficiently blinded and unable to see where you're going at 45 miles an hour. :mad2: This has happened to me atleast twice.

escobert
01-23-2014, 02:07 PM
It snows every year. It amazes me how some people act like its a surprise around here. I like snow, I just don't like being wet or cold. We pretty much go about our buisness as usual regardless of weather.

Bubba
01-23-2014, 02:38 PM
The British reaction to snow is one of chaos and panic. A few inches of snow and we literally freak out and most things come to a standstill. "Oh my God, there's not enough grit! WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?!!"

I avoid the news at these times too as it is just random reporters in huge duffle coats in the snow saying "It's snowing".

fire_of_avalon
01-24-2014, 04:22 AM
I'm in a southernish state but I live in the mountains which means snow every year. The last few years we've gotten some major storms that have dumped 12+ inches on my house at one point or another, which is kind of cool. I don't remember it snowing that much when I was a kid.

It's snowed several times this winter already. There's some on the ground right now. I want one big whopper that keeps me out of work for a few days, but that probably won't come for another few weeks, if at all.

escobert
01-24-2014, 04:32 AM
I just want some fresh powder to use my new snowshoes this weekend!

Laddy
01-24-2014, 11:31 AM
It rarely gets below 40 here for too long, this year notwithstanding.

It's rare for it to snow much in a given year, so the whole area flips out. I remember in high school the school closed down for like three days based on the unfulfilled prospect that it might snow.

So yeah, what the hell is snow?

Loony BoB
01-24-2014, 11:36 AM
The British reaction to snow is one of chaos and panic. A few inches of snow and we literally freak out and most things come to a standstill. "Oh my God, there's not enough grit! WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?!!"
I would say it's mostly due to a secret desire by at least half of the population for us to get enough panic generated to justify workplaces shutting down. Damn right, too.

Jess
01-24-2014, 11:18 PM
I hate snow! We haven't had any this winter so far, and this makes me very happy. :jess:

~*~Celes~*~
01-25-2014, 06:47 PM
we have been getting ridiculous amounts of snow and the wind chill has been in the negative digits. It's supposed to get in the negative 30s on Tuesday :(

Raistlin
01-25-2014, 07:03 PM
It's rare for it to snow much in a given year, so the whole area flips out. I remember in high school the school closed down for like three days based on the unfulfilled prospect that it might snow.

That's worse than my sister's school, which preemptively closed all day Tuesday despite the fact that it didn't actually start snowing until 5-6 PM that day.

edczxcvbnm
01-25-2014, 07:19 PM
I live in downtown Chicago and I love snow. Snow is always so stupidly magical and I love it. Since I work in IT we can work from home if we want/need to. Chicago itself never shuts down though. The companies I have worked for cannot shutdown as the global economy at large depends upon them to be up and do what they do so the closest I have seen is "Warning weather be troutty so WFH if you want/need to"

That happened during the "Polar Vortex" earlier this month (I got up at the crack of dawn to drive out to Indiana to see my dentist and apparently IN had declared a state of emergency and closed all highways...news to me because I drove on the highway for about 2 miles in IN and it was super crappy and totally unplowed.

Now for a classic picture of Lake Shore Drive from a few years back.

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/abandoned-cars-20110202-125510.jpg

Laddy
01-27-2014, 04:39 AM

That's worse than my sister's school, which preemptively closed all day Tuesday despite the fact that it didn't actually start snowing until 5-6 PM that day.
But it never snowed and yet stayed closed! For three days!

Sephex
01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
I am getting sick of it, but I am used to it as a fellow Chicago land area resident like my good buddy, edczxcvbnm. If there are no cars or hazards around, I'll actually power slide in the snow for fun here and there.