PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Pete Seeger

The Man
01-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Pete Seeger, Songwriter and Champion of Folk Music, Dies at 94 (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/arts/music/pete-seeger-songwriter-and-champion-of-folk-music-dies-at-94.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0)

:(

Even if you don't know his name you undoubtedly know some of his songs. He had a hand in songs like "If I Had a Hammer", "Turn! Turn! Turn!", and "Where Have All the Flowers Gone"; he was also instrumental in the popularisation of "We Shall Overcome". And that's not even getting into the huge amount of work he did to preserve other people's folk songs. The man was 94 so it's not like this was unexpected but it's still a colossal loss to the music community. :(

The Captain
01-28-2014, 11:17 PM
A true music legend in every sense of the word. I had the good fortune to see him perform live a few times and you couldn't help but enjoy the positive energy he exuded onstage. He deeply influenced Bob Dylan and Bruce Soringsteen to name but two other towering figures and was a poet of peace and equality.

As the saying goes, now he belongs to the ages.

To everything, turn, turn, turn.

Take care all.

Calliope
01-29-2014, 06:00 AM
I'm not familiar with him as an artist, but I guess I'm familiar with many artists who he had an influence on. A loss for the music and activist communities indeed. RIP.

Madame Adequate
01-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Pike and I were lamenting this when we learned of it yesterday :( He made it to a hell of an age but he still went before things were fixed :(