PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (Series)

Ayen
01-29-2014, 03:18 PM
About to pop in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II for the PC and play a session, I was wondering how many people have played the BioWare classic and what your general impressions of it were, and what advice you'd give for someone playing through II.

I was introduced to the first one a few years back and played that thing for hours. Then later I would get my hands on II and it'd be the same deal for a while. I also dabble in Star Wars The Old Republic since it was free to play, but as fun as that was I lost interest after a while since I can't seem to keep myself invested in a MMO for that long.

Discuss.

escobert
01-29-2014, 04:11 PM
I loved #1, played the shit out of it. I got 2 and was having PC issues at the time so it just sat around. Went to install it one day and it had a scratch that prevented install so I never got to play 2 :(

Pike
01-29-2014, 06:29 PM
I played the first one, and it was very good and a solid game all around, but it just felt to me like something was missing. I'm not quite sure what, though. Overall I'd say it's a 4/5 game rather than a 5/5 game.

I have the second but I have yet to play it. I've heard it is better!

escobert
01-29-2014, 06:49 PM
I played the first one, and it was very good and a solid game all around, but it just felt to me like something was missing. I'm not quite sure what, though. Overall I'd say it's a 4/5 game rather than a 5/5 game.

I have the second but I have yet to play it. I've heard it is better!
See I heard that it was worse. I need to play it and see now!

I agree that first did feel like it was lacking something. maybe more actual space travel and stuff like that?

Slothy
01-29-2014, 07:50 PM
I've played both. Didn't get around to finishing the second though. Got distracted by some other things for a while. I need to go back to it eventually.

Couldn't stand the original though. Didn't care for the characters or the story, and I saw the much talked about plot twist coming within the first half hour of the game. And saying half hour may be a bit generous. Once the biggest and most exciting part of the game fell completely flat I gave up on the whole thing. Never been a big fan of Bioware's writing to be honest though.

Jinx
01-29-2014, 07:57 PM
I haven't played either, but I've always wanted to. The problem is that I'm shit a keyboard games.

Ayen
01-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Any of you guys ever experience any problems while playing? It keeps skipping conversations, losing sound and giving me a black screen at certain parts of the game. I can't tell if it's the game or my computer not reaching all of the requirements, faced the black screen problem with the first game too.

NorthernChaosGod
01-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Any of you guys ever experience any problems while playing? It keeps skipping conversations, losing sound and giving me a black screen at certain parts of the game. I can't tell if it's the game or my computer not reaching all of the requirements, faced the black screen problem with the first game too.

What OS are you running? I know KoTOR 1 has compatibility issues with Windows 8 and I had to do some tweaks to get it to run well.

Ayen
01-29-2014, 08:45 PM

What OS are you running? I know KoTOR 1 has compatibility issues with Windows 8 and I had to do some tweaks to get it to run well.

Windows 7, which I guess wouldn't be that far off.

Pike
01-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Are you playing the Steam version? KotOR 1 worked fine for me on Steam.

Ayen
01-29-2014, 09:40 PM
No, I'm playing a hard copy of it that I installed.

Jiro
01-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Man, this is a great series. I love that we get to see how fucking cyclical the Force is. I love that we get such an interesting snapshot of different planets and different galaxies. I love that you can just, not be a jedi if you don't want to be; playing a blaster wielding smuggler through both games is actually p. excellent.

KotOR is one of my favourite series I hope they do more :(

Vyk
02-03-2014, 02:13 AM
My girlfriend had issues with them using a hard copy I've had on Windows 7. I got them cheap on Steam and I too use Windows 7 without any difficulty. There seems to be compatibility issues with a physical copy unfortunately

As for why people say one is better than the other and their opinions vary so widely is because they both present different parts of a great epic story. The first game is very adventure oriented and tries more to tell a grand tale. The second one is very character driven and tries harder to make you love or hate it's characters in more impactful ways. Some people hate character driven narratives. Others hate strictly story-focus. Some people hate BioWare in general. Some people hate Obsidian in general. Different strokes for different folks. I adored both, but had a preference for the second one simply because I found the character drama to be more in depth, with more tension and actual drama and such

Also, have fun getting out of that starting asteroid. Not many people manage to get all the voice logs very easily in one go. Generally you have to wander around listening to voice recordings over and over until you finally find the one you missed. It's a pain. But it's a great game once you're past that

Ayen
02-03-2014, 02:41 AM
I got it from the HK-50. There are advantages to playing a Jedi Consular.