PDA

View Full Version : What motivates you?

Pumpkin
01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
I've been analyzing myself on this subject lately because I'm trying to motivate myself to do things (like get in shape) and I was wondering what motivates others as well. I think it's interesting that things that can motivate one person can demotivate another.

For example, in regards to my weight loss, I've noticed how some people will put up posters or pictures of people who are where they want to be. I have a girl on my facebook who I used to go to school with who now enters body building competitions and she is always posting up women who are at her ideal physique and saying how she uses that for motivation.

I've noticed for me, doing that actually demotivates me. I get more sensitive to seeing thin, fit women when I'm making an effort to get that way myself and it makes me sad and uncomfortable to see them because it makes me feel like my goal is so far out of reach. What seems to motivate me is thinking of the short term goal as opposed to the long one. I'm trying to lose the weight I want by the end of the year and get physically fit within a year after that (since I know losing the weight and actually toning up and such don't always happen together). So to be motivated, I need to think about losing the 6 lbs that is my goal this month. Just 6 lbs. I'll be okay with 5. If I lose 5 lbs a month, I'll still have lost the weight I want to by the end of the year. So I just focus on this month and where I want to be by the end of the month. Having short term goals to focus on helps motivate me more than long term goals.

This applies to a lot more than weight obviously. I know some who will post up pictures of cars they want to encourage them to save up for it, etc.

What motivates you?

Crop
01-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Money mostly, and the ability to use it to do things I love like travelling.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-30-2014, 04:50 PM
It kind of depends for me. Usually, it's having other people work with me to a common goal that motivates me. Without my fellow Education peeps, I never would have been able to handle the Education program at college. We kept striving hard together to succeed and helping each other with ideas and such. I tended to write poetry about our situation to share with my friends because it helped motivate them and it was somewhat a coping mechanism for me.

When it comes to exercise, it's always helpful to have other people doing it with me. I used to go running with my roommates every once in a while to help build the habit. I did do a lot of running by myself too as it became something I'd do to get out of the room, think about my problems, and listen to good music/a literary theory podcast. Running with others helped start the habit and made it more enjoyable, though.

With writing, I need to feel like I have people that will read my stuff. That's why the writing prompt thing is nice for me. We can all share our things and strive to improve our writing. When I feel like I don't have anyone to read my stuff or brainstorm with, the amount of writing I do seems to take a nosedive.

Ayen
01-30-2014, 08:19 PM
The desire to create something and the satisfaction that comes when it's finished.

Chris
01-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Money shots.

Shorty
01-30-2014, 11:35 PM
A desperate need for approval and sometimes, once in a while, my own happiness.

CimminyCricket
01-31-2014, 01:28 AM
Success motivates me!

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Sex.

Fonzie
01-31-2014, 01:53 AM
Bread.

fire_of_avalon
01-31-2014, 01:58 AM
I like the feeling of accomplishment when something is done. I'm a pretty visual person so seeing a result is also a good motivator for me.

Flaming Ice
01-31-2014, 03:42 AM
Bread.

MEAT

Just make a schedule and do it.

Make it so you lose something if you don't follow it (like seeing your favourite show or whatever).:)

Cuchulainn
01-31-2014, 08:03 PM
hate

Jiro
02-01-2014, 01:25 AM
that ever encroaching sense of dread

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-01-2014, 04:14 AM
There's someone I really want to impress so that motivates me to stay active with things I would otherwise let fall by the wayside.

You can stay true to yourself while still trying to be more appealing as a person. A fact I wish I knew more in, let's say, high school.

Fonzie
02-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Ironic mustaches.

Shiny
02-03-2014, 01:05 AM
That feeling I get when something has been accomplished. That and also people who don't want me to succeed. They motivate me everyday.

noxious.sunshine
02-03-2014, 03:04 AM
I've literally lost pretty much all motivation over the last few years.

I just can't be bothered to care about much anymore.. Yeah there's my daughter and that's something, but I generally feel that I've fallen so far down that there's just no way I can ever get back up again. I can't help feeling that way- I just do. There's so many knots to untangle and I just don't see the point in trying anymore.

Shaibana
02-04-2014, 01:00 PM
i want to go back to sweden for a holiday of dog sledging.
i am unemployed at the moment, so first thing ill have to get a job. but i simply refuse to do work that i dont like and work in my field of interest is scarce.

ive been in Sweden for 2 months and i loved it.
but now around this time i see alot of pictures of that company and trainer with the sledge and it makes me jealous and sad that im not there :(

sharkythesharkdogg
02-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Even if I'm not able to see how things will get better at the time, I know they sure as hell won't get better if I don't at least try.

To some people it's not worth trying without knowing. To me it's not worth accepting something bad without at least trying to make it better. /shrug

LunarWeaver
02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
The next season of whatever TV show I'm into really makes me upkeep my livelihood. Ugh, and I guess my romantic relationship too. But by much less.

Night Fury
02-10-2014, 03:50 AM
Being able to visualise a goal motivates me.

I've had something of a life crisis for a while now, I don't know where I want to go in life or what I want to do. While I do enjoy spontaneity, I like to have an idea of the path my life is going. I think I've reached the start of a new beginning in which I think I've finally found a doable path for myself in which I can start plotting little goals to help me reach it. It's exciting.

Leigh
02-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Motivation has always been a difficult creature to tame. I think a great deal of motivation is inherently genetic, as some people may have lower thresholds for sustaining perpetual motivation and the upkeep of resilience. I have a rather low attention span, and my ideals and goals tend to be only fleeting. I'd say that the only thing that has ever truly motivated me has been 'fear'.

The fear of getting reprimanded or shouted at by teachers was my incentive to learn. I had little interest in most schoolastic subjects at a base level. Most of my percieved interests in learning has been driven by an ego. An ego to be percieved as an intellect, rather than naturally haivng that kind of mindset.

I still struggle to day to get anything done that isn't 'required' to survive. My hobbies and interests are always bouncing from one idea to the next, and I don't think I have ever really completed anything I have strove for in the past.

Bubba
02-17-2014, 02:34 PM
That and also people who don't want me to succeed. They motivate me everyday.

This would definitely motivate me. However, I'm quite lucky in the people I keep around me in that they're all very supportive.

Motivation is something I've always struggled with. I've noticed an improvement recently with wanting to create a better life for me and my girlfriend. It's just a matter of prioritising what part of my life needs improving the most. I struggle when I have lots of things that need addressing... things just get on top of me and I don't end up improving anywhere.

Old Manus
02-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Deepak Chopra.

TrollHunter
02-18-2014, 06:47 AM
The pursuit for knowledge and growth motivates me as a student. I find humanity in general absolutely fascinating and studying and debating with people helps me understand not only those around me but also myself.

Jessweeee♪
02-18-2014, 06:58 AM
The need to be self-sustaining and not owing anybody anything :v

Like ok you think I'm a bad person and a drain on society for not going to school, I don't care it's not like you're having to support me.
I'm back in school but you think I picked the wrong major, excuse me are you paying my tuition, no, go away.

I basically have one goal in life and it's pretty much just don't be anybody's bitch so I can pick up and move towards something when and if I want to. So it's kind of an anti-motivation?