PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone! New member with a simple question

BlueD
02-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Hey guys,
First off this forum is amazing! Second I stopped playing FF some time ago I want to say around the release of the MMO. Recently I had a craving to play FF X which lead me to playing X-2 then IX and I didn't stop there I played VII haven't made it to VIII yet but I'm currently doing my first XII run I want to say I'm a little past half way but I wanted to get in to the "modern era" of FF after I finish XII. I know this Lighting Returns comes out on the 11th and I would really like to start playing it the day of the release but I haven't played XIII or XIII-2. I guess I want to know will I be lost if I skip XIII and XIII-2. I haven't read about either so I don't know the story lines and I don't want to spoil anything as well. I just know I won't be able to complete the both of them in 10 days with my work schedule. Thanks in advance guys!

Ayen
02-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the forum, Blue. I'm ToriJ, it's nice to meet you ^_^

BlueD
02-01-2014, 07:17 AM
Thank you. Nice to meet you as well!

Psychotic
02-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Hello Blue!

I believe the goal of Square-Enix is to have Lightning Returns be accessible to newcomers to the XIII series so hopefully you won't be too lost! To be honest with you, I've played XIII and XIII-2 and I'm not entirely sure what is happening half the time either, so I don't know how much it would help anyway! :D

BlueD
02-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Hello Blue!

I believe the goal of Square-Enix is to have Lightning Returns be accessible to newcomers to the XIII series so hopefully you won't be too lost! To be honest with you, I've played XIII and XIII-2 and I'm not entirely sure what is happening half the time either, so I don't know how much it would help anyway! :D

lol ok thanks sounds good..

noxious.sunshine
02-01-2014, 02:30 PM
yeah pretty much what Psychotic said.

XIII is pretty straightforward but then there was all this hullabaloo about how bad it sucked (which it does), so SE decided to make XIII-2 and screwed it all up and made it worse. The only upside to the modern era FF is that it's more "new player friendly" - less confusing with tons of side quests and having to go out of your way to get summons (XII is the last one where you have to actively hunt them down if you want them.. I'm hoping XV will be different, though) ..

But anywho... Welcome!

Bubba
02-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Good to have you here, BlueD. Hope you stick around! :D

Mirage
02-01-2014, 03:47 PM

XIII is pretty straightforward but then there was all this hullabaloo about how bad it sucked (which it does), so SE decided to make XIII-2 and screwed it all up and made it worse. The only upside to the modern era FF is that it's more "new player friendly" - less confusing with tons of side quests and having to go out of your way to get summons (XII is the last one where you have to actively hunt them down if you want them.. I'm hoping XV will be different, though) ..

But anywho... Welcome!

You say FF12 is the last one, which technically isn't incorrect. However, there has only been one single game since then where you have access to summons anyway, so another way of saying this is that FF13 is the only one where you don't have to hunt them down. There's no telling how the stuff will go down in FF15. A single game not having something does however not indicate any sort of trend.

-edit- also technically, there is FF14. I'm not sure how you get summons there.

BlueD
02-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the info guys

noxious.sunshine
02-03-2014, 12:29 AM

But anywho... Welcome!

You say FF12 is the last one, which technically isn't incorrect. However, there has only been one single game since then where you have access to summons anyway, so another way of saying this is that FF13 is the only one where you don't have to hunt them down. There's no telling how the stuff will go down in FF15. A single game not having something does however not indicate any sort of trend.

-edit- also technically, there is FF14. I'm not sure how you get summons there.

In the main FF series, XII is the last one that requires you to go out of your way to hunt down the extra summons. I've never played any of the others like Tactics, Dissidia, Dirge of Cerberus, etc, so IDK how they work.

XI & XIV are MMOs, so I automatically didn't include them.

I didn't say that it was a trend, though the number of side quests -were- greatly reduced in XIII unless you want to count each Ci'eth stone mission as separate side quests, which that's just dumb 'cuz it's one big side quest.

Skyblade
02-03-2014, 12:50 AM
If you stop by our Lightning Returns forum at the top of the forum list, one of the threads should include a video Square made summarizing the plot of XIII and XIII-2. While it lacks a lot of the fine detail and background information of XIII's world, it does quite a bit to catch people up on the important setup information for Lightning Returns.

BlueD
02-03-2014, 09:03 PM
If you stop by our Lightning Returns forum at the top of the forum list, one of the threads should include a video Square made summarizing the plot of XIII and XIII-2. While it lacks a lot of the fine detail and background information of XIII's world, it does quite a bit to catch people up on the important setup information for Lightning Returns.

thanks ill check it out

Shaibana
02-04-2014, 12:53 PM
i am now bussy with XIII for a 2nd time and i still dont understand the story much... i get it that they want to save serah, but the whole Fal'cie, L'cie and what they stand for etc just confuses me.

they just seem to be unable to make up theire minds if fal'cie is good or bad.

you certainly wont be able to finish these games in the normal '8 hours'.
my advice would be: just play XIII and XIII-2 in yr own pace, and when you are done with that get Lightning Returns... that way you have played all of them and perhaps get LR with a discount :P

thats what im doing myself :3

but then again im not much of a big fan of XIII, so i wont mind waiting longer to play LR

Mirage
02-04-2014, 02:24 PM
In the main FF series, XII is the last one that requires you to go out of your way to hunt down the extra summons. I've never played any of the others like Tactics, Dissidia, Dirge of Cerberus, etc, so IDK how they work.

XI & XIV are MMOs, so I automatically didn't include them.

I didn't say that it was a trend, though the number of side quests -were- greatly reduced in XIII unless you want to count each Ci'eth stone mission as separate side quests, which that's just dumb 'cuz it's one big side quest.

The point is that you (to me) made it sound like it's something that is no longer happening, even if we have no way of knowing what FF15 holds. Just lacking it in a single game out of many doesn't mean a whole lot.

Jessweeee♪
02-04-2014, 05:24 PM
You might run into spoilers, but I expect you won't be any more confused than I, a fan of both FFXIII and FFXIII-2, will be. It's just a messy series.

BlueD
02-05-2014, 02:23 PM
i am now bussy with XIII for a 2nd time and i still dont understand the story much... i get it that they want to save serah, but the whole Fal'cie, L'cie and what they stand for etc just confuses me.

they just seem to be unable to make up theire minds if fal'cie is good or bad.

you certainly wont be able to finish these games in the normal '8 hours'.
my advice would be: just play XIII and XIII-2 in yr own pace, and when you are done with that get Lightning Returns... that way you have played all of them and perhaps get LR with a discount :P

thats what im doing myself :3

but then again im not much of a big fan of XIII, so i wont mind waiting longer to play LR

Yeah I'm trying to stay up with the story as well for the most part I got it figured out..

And thanks Jessweeee!