PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a sitcom

Pumpkin
02-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Please and thank you.

*It has to be on Netflix
*It can't include large amounts of british accents because they seriously give me a headache. I'm not just saying that to make fun of accents or something, I'm not sure why, but they do.
*It can't be scrubs.

Some shows I've watched that I like to give an idea
*Friends
*That 70's Show
*Will & Grace
*How I Met Your Mother
*Cheers
*Frasier
*The King of Queens

Calliope
02-01-2014, 07:53 AM
I don't have netflix and find it incredibly difficult to not recommend something in the holy Linehan trilogy (Or Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, Red Dwarf, The Thin Blue Line), but one sitcom I'm enjoying a lot this year is Brooklyn Nine Nine.

EDIT: I guess though if you don't like Scrubs you won't like that either, so I suppose I'm not much help today.

When I was younger, I enjoyed Just Shoot Me, Two Guys & A Girl, The Cosby Show and Seinfeld - one of those has to be on Netflix.

The Man
02-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Arrested Development, Better Off Ted

Denmark
02-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Arrested Development, Better Off Ted

s e c o n d e d

both of these. also 30 Rock.

The Man
02-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Good call on 30 Rock; I was just coming back to add that. Also Archer if animated comedies are your thing. And I guess Modern Family too.

Jinx
02-01-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't think Modern Family is on Netflix. I second Arrested Development, 30 Rock, and Archer. Also: The Office (US), Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23, My Name is Earl, and Raising Hope. (Raising Hope has a cute baby, so!)

Pumpkin
02-01-2014, 04:32 PM
thanks, I'll check some of these out!

I've seen Archer and Arrested development. So I'll check out the others and see what clicks.

Jinx
02-01-2014, 04:36 PM
I really think you might like Raising Hope.

Shlup
02-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Parks and Recreation is on NetFlix! I don't know if Last Man Standing is, but that show got really good in its 3rd season once they re-cast the oldest daughter.

Pumpkin
02-02-2014, 02:05 AM
I have seen parks and rec!

I will try raising hope first and see how I like it

Shorty
02-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Seconding Parks and Rec, especially if you like The Office! Neither of these are sitcoms, but still, good comedies.

shion, did you ever watch 3rd Rock From the Sun? You can watch it all on Youtube. Newsradio is an awesome 90's sitcom that fits right inbetween some of the ones you've listed there. I will also second Nicky's recommendation of Just Shoot Me. ALSO WATCH NEW GIRL YOU WILL LOVE IT FIND IT ON NETFLIX RIGHT NOW

Cuchulainn
02-02-2014, 02:27 AM
The best sitcoms ever made have all been British. You don't want British. I'm done here.

There is one. Lasted 1 series and was amazing Catterick. Vic & Bob at their best.

However if you want to try. Green Wing, Spaced, I'm Alan Patridge, Extras, Psychoville, Dad's Army, Blackadder, Yes Minister, Rising Damp, The Rise & Fall Of Reginald Perrin,The Thick Of It, Only Fools and Horses

Guilty pleasures Bottom and Men Behaving Badly.

PS: I omitted some equally great ones as they've already been mentioned.

The Man
02-02-2014, 04:02 AM
how could you list a ton of British sitcoms and not list Father Ted

I guess it's as much an Irish sitcom as it is a British one but still

I Took the Red Pill
02-02-2014, 04:22 AM
Not sure if it's too British for you, and not sure if it's still on Netflix, but Peep Show is incredible and hilarious and everytime I mention it nobody backs me up except for Bleys. But yes, watch Peep Show. I'll never stop recommending it.

Pumpkin
02-02-2014, 04:24 AM
I've already seen parks and rec, Shorty! I've seen a few bits and pieces of the Office and it wasn't bad, but it never made me want to go out of my way to watch it.

I watched 3rd Rock From the Sun when I was little, and I don't remember much of it. I might watch it later on. New Girl makes me feel insecure right now, so I've been avoiding it until I'm in a better place.

Watched the first episode of Raising Hope. It wasn't what I was looking for in terms of a laugh track/studio audience type of thing, but it made me chuckle at a few places. It also made me cringe at the improper childcare, but I keep telling myself it's okay and they aren't actually doing that to the baby :P. The puking part made me upset a little.

But overall it was good enough to give it a few more episodes and see what I think. I might watch it all the way through! :D

Shorty
02-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Can I ask what about New Girl makes you feel insecure, or why? Is it just the title and her being "new"? If you provide some insight, maybe I can help clear up any confusion. I really like it and it's so hilarious, I often ended up in tears from laughing the first time I watched it.

It's supposed to be a feel-good show, not a feel-bad show!

Pumpkin
02-02-2014, 04:30 AM
Oh, it's just something really stupid. I watched it at first and was excited to watch it because it is supposed to be about this awkward quirky girl to more represent actual real women instead of these near perfect women often seen in shows. But then I watch it and its about a girl who is gorgeous and hilarious and silly and a ton of fun and it makes me go :(.

It's just my own weird little thing, so I do intend to pick it back up again eventually, it just doesn't put me in the right frame of mind right now :P.

Shorty
02-02-2014, 04:34 AM
If you're referring to the looks of Jess and Cece, I don't really know what to tell you there about it. Attractive women make for casting in shows, but this doesn't need to take away from how "real" they are. I like how quirky she is, and the fact that she is klutzy as all hell and gets into a lot of troublesome situations that I would probably find myself in. That says "real" to me, even if her size two waist, perfect bangs, and envy-inducing hip LA pad don't.

But yeah, let me know what you think of it when you pick it back up again!

Calliope
02-02-2014, 04:39 AM

I already referenced it!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m71xqjX8lk1qehr1so1_1280.jpg

This thread reminds me that I really haven't watched any "current" American sitcoms other than Community and Brooklyn Nine Nine. I've seen lots of recommendations here that other friends have encouraged me to look into, so perhaps I shall investigate as well :D

Shorty
02-02-2014, 04:40 AM
I've heard Brooklyn Nine-Nine is pretty critically acclaimed! I like Andy Samberg a lot, so that makes me want to watch it more.

Del Murder
02-02-2014, 04:59 AM
Brooklyn Nine Nine and Andy Samberg both won Golden Globes.

also...uh...THE SIMPSONS

Calliope
02-02-2014, 05:05 AM
If shion hasn't watched The Simpsons, I think that's a bannable offense.

Cuchulainn
02-02-2014, 05:11 AM

I explained this. I omitted stuff already mentioned.

Shorty
02-02-2014, 05:32 AM
I don't think shion is The Simpsons kind, nerds.

The Man
02-02-2014, 05:37 AM
right I probably should've done ctrl+f for 'linehan' as well as 'father ted' :monster:

Jinx
02-02-2014, 05:39 AM
I used to like New Girl until literally every girl who I know watches it started talking about how "omg I'm Jess Day!" when the whole point of Jess Day as a character is that she's self-unaware, and if you think you're like her you're nothing like her.

Also, shion, are we just characterizing 'sitcom' as a show with a laugh track?

Shorty
02-02-2014, 05:40 AM
the whole point of Jess Day as a character is that she's self-unaware, and if you think you're like her you're nothing like her.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you here. :roll2

Jinx
02-02-2014, 05:43 AM
I only know one person who semi-qualifies as even being remotely like Jess Day, and she's Jess Day enough that she probably wouldn't realize she's like Jess Day if she watched the show.

Shorty
02-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Well, we all have our opinions when it comes to who we relate to as characters on shows and why that is.

Jinx
02-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Fair enough. Because I am definitely Liz Lemon because I'm unpopular and painfully (not endearingly) awkward around people and surprisingly judgmental and bitchy despite my circumstances. Plus I eat waaaay too much food and am really, really disgusting.

Calliope
02-02-2014, 06:08 AM
If we're picking characters we relate to, then I'm Bernard Black.

If we're still listing sitcoms, I'd like to add 8 Simple Rules (RIP), Dharma & Greg, Flight of the Conchords, The Drew Carey Show, The Mindy Project, Married...With Children, and Malcolm in the Middle.

Del Murder
02-02-2014, 06:17 AM
NewsRadio is also a great sitcom, one of the best ever.

Pumpkin
02-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Yes, I've seen the Simpsons, and no I'm not only qualifying sitcoms as that, I was just saying that's what I was in the mood for :P

Watched another Raising Hope. It was good! Think I'll keep watching.

Ayen
02-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Is Full House and Family Matters on Netflix?

Because they should be. Though they might be a tad bit to nineties family values.

Another one I still find to be hilarious even to this day is The Cosby Show, but once again I'm not sure if that's on Netflix.

Jinx
02-02-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm glad you're warming to Raising Hope. :) Like any show, you've gotta give it a few episodes to set the stage and find its footing.

Pumpkin
02-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Yeah so far the second episode is much better than the first one, so I'm interested to see it progress. And I like babies!

Jessweeee♪
02-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Wilfred is...not a sitcom exactly. But it is pretty funny and you should watch it :v

escobert
02-02-2014, 06:35 PM
I have a feeling you wouldn't like it but, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the best sitcom ever. end of story :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiNhNArP3PA

Jessweeee♪
02-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Yes that show is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR4zefzP7d0

noxious.sunshine
02-03-2014, 06:30 PM
They need to put Home Improvement on Netflix.

God I loved that show so much.

I haven't been keeping up with Last Man Standing (One of the only episodes I've even seen was the one with Tony Stewart in it)

omg.. 8 Simple Rules is so great! I can't believe it only lasted for like 3 seasons. ;_;

Ayen
02-03-2014, 06:37 PM
It probably would have lasted longer if John Ritter hadn't passed away.

Yay Home Improvement! I like how in that show Tim Allen is named after my brother (as he is in real life) and in Last Man Standing where he has all these conservative views, he's named after my dad.

noxious.sunshine
02-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I think they lost direction trying to replace him with James Garner and David Spade. IDK.. I liked the seasons that came after his passing.. They weren't the same, but I thought David Spade was pretty good in it.

lol Home Improvement was a weekly ritual for us.

But nowadays, I'm like my dad- I don't think a sitcom is funny when it first airs. It takes me about as long as it takes to syndicate newer seasons to think they're funny.

Like the new Big Bang Theory episodes.. I won't like them for about a year or two. lolol

Christmas
07-04-2022, 09:56 AM
BIG BANG THEORY AND MODERN FAMILY!