PDA

View Full Version : Typing

Pumpkin
02-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Are you a good/fast typer? When and how did you learn?

I can type about average speed, but I can't yet type well without looking so I remembered a program when I was little called Tap Touche (French) that I never got a chance to use much, but that I really enjoyed. So I looked it up and found the English equivalent, since I have an English keyboard, and I bought it. Costs about $30.

I actually found the Garfield one and I love Garfield so I'm happy :monster:. So I am going to try to learn to type without looking. Don't laugh at me!

That's basically what the program is. They have progress reports, accuracy rates, games, and even something that can track your typing online if you chose to activate it and tell you where your weak points are and such.

Pike
02-02-2014, 07:02 PM
I learned to type in a keyboarding class in middle school. It was the most helpful class I've ever taken. I can type ~110wpm with few to no errors. In the correct posture, too! (i.e. no wrists touching the desk and so forth.)

You would think that this skill would get you into all sorts of jobs but it actually doesn't. :( It's helpful for NaNoWriMo and the like, though. And blabbing on the internet, of course.

Agent Proto
02-02-2014, 07:07 PM
I can type at a regular speed, but I have such an unorthodox way to type on my keyboard. But it works for me, so there's no problem with that. :p

sharkythesharkdogg
02-02-2014, 07:16 PM
I type the standard way, from having classes, and from having a program to practice with when I was little.

I certainly am not error free, but I average about 60-80wpm from what I remember. No too slow.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
02-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Mavis Beacon taught me to type.

I don't need to look at the keyboard most of the time. I do occasionally because brain fart. But usually I know where the keys are. I type about as fast as sharky, if I remember right. If I have an actual train of thought or am copying from one thing to another I can get in the 90's sometimes. I dunno, I haven't tried in a long time to see what I actually type at.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I type ~59 wpm according to this test here. (http://www.typingtest.com/index.html)

Pike
02-02-2014, 08:03 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I type ~59 wpm according to this test here. (http://www.typingtest.com/index.html)

Oooh I got 120! :jess:

Pumpkin
02-02-2014, 08:08 PM
I only got 50 and I had to look :(

Calliope
02-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Loony BoB and I took "Information Technology" classes in high school, and that's where I learned to type. They made us copy paragraphs out of retro typing textbooks, sit properly, and put little bibs over our keyboards so that we couldn't see the keys and were forced to type by memory. I also picked up some now-defunct secretarial shorthand which makes it fun to edit things!

In my first job after graduating college I would have to sit and take minutes in three hour meetings, full of technical jargon, names and acronyms that I'd never heard before. Between my typing skills and my memory I became very good at it, and managers would go out of their way to have me sit in on their meetings, so these lessons served me pretty well!

I just took the test and got 87 wpm, that's about standard for me.

Jess
02-02-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm pretty fast, and I touch type. I never really learnt how, I just picked it up through lots of use. I haven't done the test as I'm using my phone.

noxious.sunshine
02-02-2014, 11:12 PM
BOO. I got 50 wpm.

I'm faster at texting though.. Having to sneak text at work or if I'm in a hurry makes me a lot faster than normal.

I used to could text without even looking at my phone- back before touch screens/smart phones were invented. I had all the keys memorized and knew how many times to push each one to get the letter/symbol I wanted. .. Yes. I would do that while driving if I really needed to, but I never once looked to make sure the text was right- I knew it would be. I very rarely made mistakes. with it.

Now with the autocorrect function, my phone likes to have a free for all with my words sometimes.

Ayen
02-03-2014, 12:20 AM
No idea, it always came natural to me. I'm sure the Mario typing game I played as a kid certainly helped. I always averaged 90 words per minute on that.

Shiny
02-03-2014, 01:02 AM
I got 70wpm, but I don't type correctly and I don't look at the keyboard when I type so I got six errors.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-03-2014, 01:05 AM
I got 65 wpm, so I've slowed down over the years. :p

Shorty
02-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Loony BoB and I took "Information Technology" classes in high school, and that's where I learned to type. They made us copy paragraphs out of retro typing textbooks, sit properly, and put little bibs over our keyboards so that we couldn't see the keys and were forced to type by memory.

We did this beginning in our fourth grade classes through our sixth grade classes! I was always done first, so the other kids in my row would snag me to come take their typing tests for them while they distracted the teacher with a question. My row always won the computer challenges. /smug

I am a good and fast typist when put under scrutiny and if I focus. Last time I took a typing test I scored at 91 or 93 (I don't remember, it was a 90's number), but I put 90 on my resume.

Yar
02-03-2014, 02:30 AM
I got 34 wpm. lol

But I'm sitting in bed right now.

I really got better at typing after I started doing it in a second language. It really helped me memorize where the keys are I think!

Flaming Ice
02-03-2014, 02:40 AM
I learned to type in a keyboarding class in middle school. It was the most helpful class I've ever taken. I can type ~110wpm with few to no errors. In the correct posture, too! (i.e. no wrists touching the desk and so forth.)

You would think that this skill would get you into all sorts of jobs but it actually doesn't. :( It's helpful for NaNoWriMo and the like, though. And blabbing on the internet, of course.

That was such a stupid class...oh here's a grade for typing quickly...yeah okay.....

I'm not a very fast typing but I usually take my time with most things :)

fire_of_avalon
02-03-2014, 03:42 AM
The last typing test I took for a job clocked me at 85 wpm with 100% accuracy. I have no idea how I managed that, but I was pleased.

shion's test had me at 75 wpm with 97% accuracy for Aesop's Fables.

Pumpkin
02-03-2014, 04:17 AM
That wasn't my test, that was plef's test. I just posted about garfield typing game because I type like a child

:(

fire_of_avalon
02-03-2014, 05:49 AM
pleffy's then! Oops.

Jiro
02-03-2014, 06:13 AM
I scored 82wpm with a couple errors. I don't touch type because I find it awkward; my hands just kind of splay out on the keyboard a little and move around. It's kind of nice. I wonder what my typing speed would be one handed.

Okay 35wpm one handed. I made a fuckload of errors and had to go and fix them myself because ugh perfection.

Del Murder
02-03-2014, 06:19 AM
61 with 96% accuracy. Pretty much standard for me. Fortunately, fast typing it is not as necessary these days with speech-to-text technology.

NeoCracker
02-03-2014, 07:02 AM
75 witha 92% accuracy.

Dr Unne
02-03-2014, 08:39 AM
81 wpm (adjusted) with 93% accuracy. But I only use three fingers on my left hand and two on my right, other than pinkies for shift and thumbs for spacebar. Fortunately programmers don't have to type words, we have to type :%s/\v(^[^"]*)@<!"@<!""@!([^"]*$)@!/""/g. Fortunately text editors highlight typos.

I think hands properly on the home-row and using your pinkies for the keys on the ends is a good way to cripple yourself in 10 or 20 years. I had a lot of trouble with hand pain until I switched how I hold my hands and what fingers I use.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Oh, I forgot about that bit. 65wpm with 100% accuracy.

Pumpkin
02-03-2014, 05:57 PM
I went back and corrected my mistakes as I went so it said I had 100% accuracy, but I didn't not make mistakes, so I don't think I had 100% accuracy.

Madonna
02-03-2014, 11:52 PM
I believe it is handy to know how to touch type, but can be essential if you do have a job with data entry. Are you looking into temp jobs in offices, shion? It will be handy, and it is always nice to hone a skill. I like the look of the program you bought, shion. It sounds useful and fun; the second is always a nice perk. I considered buying a typing program recently, and looked at one on Steam with a zombie horror bend; it looked interesting.

I learned how to touch type throughout my schooling years and appreciate not having to hunt, peck, or stare at keys while I am responding to people online (my primary usage of typing). However, my ability is not what it once was, since after high school I took on jobs that involved little computer work, and when I send emails or post on message boards, time is not an issue.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's test (http://www.typingtest.com/index.html) got me an adjusted 66 WPM, and I also checked out Typing Club (http://www.typingclub.com/), and I have been getting WPMs in the forties. That makes me feel bad.

Pumpkin
02-04-2014, 12:11 AM
I could use a job anywhere quite frankly and I would like an office job!

I'm unemployed now so I am trying to do something useful with my time, such as learning to type and learning Spanish and volunteering and such.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-04-2014, 12:26 AM
I got 90 wpm from Plef's test with 100% accuracy. I think I used to be a bit faster back in high school, but I can't remember for sure. I know that I somehow find myself on Mario Teaches Typing in middle and high school a few times.

Flaming Ice
02-04-2014, 04:00 AM

I'm unemployed now so I am trying to do something useful with my time, such as learning to type and learning Spanish and volunteering and such.

Learn to paint and you can sell pictures :D

sharkythesharkdogg
02-04-2014, 08:54 PM

She does many useful things with her time, for the record.

rubah
02-05-2014, 03:51 AM
Typing is definitely a valuable job skill, when you have other skills to supplement it. You may not be able to be hired as a medical record transcriptionist without medical record knowledge, but you won't be hired as one without a good typing ability, either.

I found a fun site that gives you snippets and records your speed over time: Typing Test - Typing Test (Key Hero) (http://typingtesthq.com/typing-tests-wpm/)

I get in the 90s with qwerty and in the 20s with colemak. I think I'll switch back to colemak for the rest of the night now!

I learned to type fast by playing trivia on IRC. I gave that all up and forced myself to learn homerow qwerty in middle school (god that's hard to spell when you aren't using it!) and gained at least 20 wpm. My best ever time was 145.

The hardest thing about learning another layout is that you are rendering yourself somewhat mute. I think slower so my hands can keep up, and I forget my train of thought by the time I get to it.

Jiro
02-05-2014, 05:58 AM
Yeah playing trivia certainly helps speed up your typing ability. My typing speed on this laptop is severely hampered by the lack of a d key so I'm having to constantly crtl v to paste the saved d I have. Pain the fucking ass to then switch back to having a d key again :aimmad:

TrollHunter
02-05-2014, 06:19 AM
I hit about 60 wpm... but I type with only my index fingers and that is something that has weirded out nearly every single computer-savvy friend I have (the ones that arent weirded out dont know).
I could probably hit some awesome WPM if I typed like a normal person.... but I've tried on numerous occasions and it just hurts my brain. I've gotten so used to using only my index fingers to type that its second nature to me.

Mo-Nercy
02-06-2014, 05:30 AM
I think I hover around the 50-60 rpm mark, but I'm not proud of my accuracy. I'm also slowed down by the my inability to use my thumbs to hit the space bar, I always use my index fingers.