PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Releases (February)

Ayen
02-03-2014, 11:36 PM
I've been following the games that are scheduled to be released this month and there seems to be a nice variety coming out. Here's a list,

Earth Defense Force 2025 [Xbox 360] [PS3]
Fable Anniversary [Xbox 360]
The Lego Movie Videogame [Windows] [PS3] [Xbox 360] [PS4] [Xbox One]
The Wolf Among Us - Episode 2: Smoke and Mirrors [Windows] [Mac] [PlayStation Network] [Xbox Live Arcade]
Outlast [PS4]
Double Dragon Neon [Windows]
Bravely Default [3DS]
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII [PS3] [Xbox 360]
Toukiden: The Age of Demons [PS Vita]
Rayman Legends [PS4] [Xbox One]
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze [Wii-U]
Castlevania: Lord of Shadow 2 [Windows] [PS3] [Xbox 360]
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare [Xbox One] [Xbox 360]
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles [PS3]
Thief [Windows] [PS3] [PS4] [Xbox 360] [Xbox One]
Divinity: Original Sin [Windows]
Professor Layton and Azran Legacy [3DS]
Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition [Windows]

I know many of you plan to purchase Bravely Default and Lightning Returns, but are any of you getting any of the other games listed here? I like what I'm reading on Earth Defense Force and Outlast and I've been meaning to look into the Fable series for a while, can anyone here tell me if it's any good?

I also enjoy stealth games so Thief has spiked my interest and is developed by Eidos so I have a good feeling.

Discuss.

Bolivar
02-04-2014, 12:09 AM
I am very interested in seeing how Thief reviews as I could see that as shiny new title to get some next gen goodness out of.

Bravely Default is a must buy but I'm waiting to clear out a bit of my Vita backlog first.

Ayen
02-04-2014, 12:26 AM
I was reading up on Bravely Default and am a little confused, is it an original IP or is a Final Fantasy spin-off?

And yeah, I'll be waiting in anticipation to hear more about Thief. If I get it it will most likely be for the PS3 before anything else.

Motdrafin
02-04-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm getting Bravely Default (which is supposed to be a new IP, though is more like an old-school FF game..) and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. I'm really looking forward to both of those games!

Pete for President
02-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Thief coming out already? That's awesome. Gonna wait for the review though.

That reminds me, I should probably pre-order Dark Souls 2...

Skyblade
02-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Bravely Default was created specifically to be a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, released for the DS a couple of years ago. Because of this, it maintains a number of elements of the series, including ability and item names.

Nevertheless, it is not a direct sequel, and does not tie in to the world or story of The 4 Heroes of Light, nor does it use the Final Fantasy name. While this does make it a new IP, it has about as much in common with the Final Fantasy series as any of the other games in the series have with each other.

The one thing I will say is that keeping it a separate entity has allowed it to maintain its own identity and stay true to the roots it was aiming for. Without the "Final Fantasy" name, it avoided investor scrutiny which could have easily pushed it into the same sort of messes that the main series is currently in. So, while not a Final Fantasy game in a technical sense, it is just that, a technicality. Bravely Default holds the heart and soul of the series, and keeps it closer than any of the current games that actually bear the name.

Ayen
02-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Thief coming out already? That's awesome. Gonna wait for the review though.

February 25th. 27th if you're in Australia, 28th if Europe. I'm starting to wish I had more money so I could afford new games to buy and review.

One day.

Bravely Default was created specifically to be a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, released for the DS a couple of years ago. Because of this, it maintains a number of elements of the series, including ability and item names.

Nevertheless, it is not a direct sequel, and does not tie in to the world or story of The 4 Heroes of Light, nor does it use the Final Fantasy name. While this does make it a new IP, it has about as much in common with the Final Fantasy series as any of the other games in the series have with each other.

The one thing I will say is that keeping it a separate entity has allowed it to maintain its own identity and stay true to the roots it was aiming for. Without the "Final Fantasy" name, it avoided investor scrutiny which could have easily pushed it into the same sort of messes that the main series is currently in. So, while not a Final Fantasy game in a technical sense, it is just that, a technicality. Bravely Default holds the heart and soul of the series, and keeps it closer than any of the current games that actually bear the name.

Thanks for the clarification, sounds awesome. I'm gonna have to remember it if I ever get my hands on a 3DS/2DS.

Skyblade
02-04-2014, 04:18 AM

Thanks for the clarification, sounds awesome. I'm gonna have to remember it if I ever get my hands on a 3DS/2DS.

Why do you not have a 3DS? Go out and buy one. It had an absolutely phenomenal year last year, getting a bunch of stellar games. You'd be better off getting a 3DS than you would picking up any of the next-gen consoles.

Ayen
02-04-2014, 04:24 AM

Why do you not have a 3DS?

Me: $67.47
3DS: $120.09

Flaming Ice
02-04-2014, 04:34 AM
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles gets adorable limited edition | Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/14/tales-of-symphonia-chronicles-gets-adorable-limited-edition/)

15000 copies....buy one, save, profit. So it'll probably go down from $300-400 (whatever it was) for gamecube lol.

Flaming Ice
02-04-2014, 04:35 AM

You: Gets mastercard :)

Skyblade
02-04-2014, 04:41 AM

Make it a priority. Next week's paycheck, whatever. It's worth it.

Flaming Ice
02-04-2014, 04:45 AM

Lol....don't even need a wii u since its best games are on 3DS :)

Ayen
02-04-2014, 04:45 AM
Those GameCube prices can get pretty crazy.

I already have a Visa, one credit card is good enough for me.

Flaming Ice
02-04-2014, 04:47 AM
Those GameCube prices can get pretty crazy.

And those high priced games plummet in price by a major amount too with a renewed release of the games.

Ayen
02-04-2014, 05:02 AM

It would provide funny commentary from my dad at least.

Dad: What's that?
Me: Nintendo 3DS.
Dad: 3D, huh?
Me: Yes.
Dad: That all it does, just play games?
Me: Yup.
Dad: How much that set you back?
Me: One hundred bucks.
Dad: One hundred bucks!? For that little thing?

Said the same thing when I got the DS.

Flaming Ice
02-04-2014, 05:23 AM
It would provide funny commentary from my dad at least.

Dad: What's that?
Me: Nintendo 3DS.
Dad: 3D, huh?
Me: Yes.
Dad: That all it does, just play games?
Me: Yup.
Dad: How much that set you back?
Me: One hundred bucks.
Dad: One hundred bucks!? For that little thing?

Said the same thing when I got the DS.

Or

You: Someone named skyblade was kind enough to buy one :)

Ayen
02-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Fable Anniversary, The Wolf Among Us Episode 2 and Outlast are now out. The Wolf Among Us is made by Telltale Games, so those who enjoyed The Walking Dead may enjoy it as well. I don't know why Wikipedia still has Earth Defense Force on February 4th when its official page says the 18th.

Del Murder
02-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Bravely Default for sure, Lightning Returns probably. I'd also like to play The Wolf Among Us but not until all the episodes are out. And if I ever get a WiiU, DKC is mandatory.

Ayen
02-05-2014, 09:11 PM
I imagine that can be annoying. "I want to play more!"
"Sorry, the episode has ended. You must now wait for the next episode."
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-!"

Vyk
02-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Seriously considering getting a 2DS lol Go me... I have Bravely Default reserved and ready to go. But I don't think there's anything else I'm super looking forward to this month. Except I imported Infinite Space from Germany last week, so I'll be able to play that on whatever system. I have an old DS and my girlfriend has a regular 3DS

Scotty_ffgamer
02-06-2014, 12:17 AM
The only game I'll probably actually buy this month is Lightning Returns. I may also get Donkey Kong if I have the money for it as that game looks awesome. I want to get a hold of Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii first though.... Most likely I'll only have money for one game this month, though. And I really shouldn't even buy that one game.

Games that come out this month that I'll buy eventually:

Lightning Returns
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
The Wolf Among Us (when the entire season is out)
The Walking Dead Season 2
Outlast (I downloaded it for PS+, but I don't have a PS4. I'll get a PS4 eventually)
Bravely Default
Tales of Symphonia

I'm unsure of Thief. I'll have to look into that game more. I will get Rayman Legends but I'll probably get it on the Wii U which has been out for a while.

Ayen
02-06-2014, 12:24 AM
If I get a 2DS it'll only be because it's cheaper than the 3DS, but I'm unsure if I'd want to risk it.

Games I plan to get when money is no object,

Earth Defense Force 2025
The Wolf Among Us
Outlast
Double Dragon Neon
The Lego Movie Videogame
Bravely Default
Thief

I'm surprised by how many games has captured my interest this month.

Flaming Ice
02-06-2014, 02:53 AM
Wow...what's with rpgs? Used to have to wait months for a good one (or even one at all) to finally come out now you have to spend a ton load of money all at one time because they're too good to pass ~.~

Ayen
02-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Haha, yeah.

Today Double Dragon Neon is coming to the PC and Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse is coming to iOS. Anyone has any plans to get them? I hear Neon is true to the spirit of the older Double Dragon games.

Slothy
02-06-2014, 11:38 PM
I saw that Tales of Symphonia Chronicles up for pre-order on the playstation store the other day and just immediately got it. Didn't even stop to wonder if there was a physical edition or look at the release date. The title was all I needed to see.

I shouldn't be allowed to have credit cards.

Flaming Ice
02-07-2014, 03:58 AM
I saw that Tales of Symphonia Chronicles up for pre-order on the playstation store the other day and just immediately got it. Didn't even stop to wonder if there was a physical edition or look at the release date. The title was all I needed to see.

I shouldn't be allowed to have credit cards.

I might have to wait...dang bills......except...I get free water for a bit maybe i'll save ....

Ayen
02-07-2014, 08:43 PM
w00t! w00t! Bravely Default and The Lego Movie Videogame come out today. I don't think I have to ask which game most of you will be getting. Also, I saw the iOS port of Final Fantasy VI snuck up on us yesterday. Anyone else plan on giving that a try or has it been declared dead on arrival?

Ayen
02-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Lightning Returns, Toukiden and One Piece are out today. Who's getting what? I'm interested in Toukiden since I like the idea of monster hunting. I just lack a Vita.