PDA

View Full Version : Will my PC keep up with gaming evolution? At least for 10 years.

DanielCLFFF13
02-05-2014, 01:19 AM
So yeah I kind of ask your opinion, will my PC keep up with gaming evolution for at least 10 years?

This is my PC spec :

OS Name : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version : Service Pack 1
System Type : 64-bit Operating System
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) : 4,00 GB
Video Card : NVIDIA GeFore GT 430 DDR 3 1 GB (or 2 GB I forgot)
Adapter RAM : (2.147.483.648) bytes

I think these are all of them? So what do you think? Should this be enough for at least 10 years? Should I change some? Or should I change everything? Or even buy new a PC?

Well yeah I'm not even gonna change or buy anything anytime soon. But just want to prepare, so I could put any of your opinion on my list. Since the gaming evolution is pretty fast. I'm not even sure Watch Dogs would work in my PC. I'm no PC expert, so I'm asking your opinion.

Old Manus
02-12-2014, 11:31 AM
It would take a pretty monumental piece of kit to keep up for 10 years. Anything more than 3-4 years is a good achievement.

DOUBLE THIS AT LEAST

Spuuky
02-12-2014, 04:46 PM
10 years? 10 years is a loooooooong time. No, it won't. In fact, odds are it won't be running after 10 years, statistically speaking, without some kind of part replacement.

At any rate, 4GB of RAM won't last that long to keep up with modern games - but RAM is very easy to expand later, so it isn't really that big a concern. The video card won't keep up, either, over the long haul (and won't run some current games very smoothly already).

escobert
02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
no. Your GPU is older and you need more RAM. I wouldn't use anything less than a X60 series card. I prefer the 80's but they cost a lot. I payed over $150 for my 480GTX about 6 months ago and they were still retailing for over $200 at a lot of places. You will want 8+GB of DDR2+ RAM. I'd say look into a 560 or 580. 600 series are still expensive.

I am basically a PC only gamer. Have been all of my life. Also have built my last 3 rigs myself. If you need any help feel free to ask me.

Slothy
02-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Listen to escobert on the parts advice.

And having a PC that'll keep up with gaming for more than five years or so is unlikely. Ten years would be almost impossible. Most of the parts aren't made to last that long, and even if they did after ten years the way hardware design changes over time would leave you lucky to manage new games on low settings at that point. No matter how powerful the hardware was when you bought it.

Better to plan and budget for new hardware every 5-7 years or so tops. Go with the upper end of the mid range stuff and it'll keep going strong for that period of time and serve you well until you replace it.

escobert
02-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Yeah I can usually get 5-7 years out of a CPU/RAM but motherboards and graphics cards not so much.

Mirage
02-12-2014, 10:44 PM
CPU is good enough for now. RAM is low but workable. Few current games use more than 2-3 GB RAM, so if you keep the amount of background processes low, you can make do. GPU is terrible, even for current games. Upgrade to a budget GTX 600-series or better and you'll play current games pretty well. Upgrade to 8 GB RAM and you'll be good for perhaps games released 3-4 years from now.

I have a few years old GTX 460 and it can run current games at medium settings most of the time. I'm looking to upgrade soon though, not because I absolutely need it, but because I like high framerates and tons of antialiasing. How much power you need to be able to "game" on a PC is also entirely dependent on how high standards you have. If you are fine with playing PC games at the same graphics level as PS3 and XB360 outputs (or PS4/XBO from now on), you don't need to spend a lot on your PC upgrades at all.

escobert
02-12-2014, 11:08 PM
I did like my GTX460 a lot. But, I had to upgrade my power supply for it and saw a deal on the 480 so decided to grab one of those :) I do need to upgrade my mobo/cpu soonish. I'm running a Core 2 Quad.

Mirage
02-12-2014, 11:12 PM
I would still have been on a C2Q 9450 if one of my brothers didn't want to sell his i5 in order to be able to focus on his studies more easily. It's not bad, but the memory architecture of C2 is pretty terrible.

escobert
02-12-2014, 11:14 PM
mines a Q6600 2.4ghz. Don't knw a whole lot about the architecture and all that stuffs.

Mirage
02-13-2014, 12:05 AM
Short story is that Nehalem (i-whatevernumber) finally has a direct data bus between the CPU and RAM, like AMD started with in like 2001 (they call it HyperTransport, Intel has their own name for it). That was also one of the things things that let AMD gain a lot of clock cycle efficiency over Intel back in those days. It gives the system lower latencies between RAM and CPU, and also much higher bandwidths.

AssassinDX
02-13-2014, 07:23 PM
It's pretty much been covered already, but yeah that setup won't be able to play the latest games in 10 years time. Probably not even 5 if we're being realistic.

The 430 is currently a very mid-ranged card and according to Video Card Benchmarks (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+430&id=53[/URL) you can get it now for less than $50, and as mentioned you need to at least double your RAM within the next year or two to keep up.

My guess is you're not getting great settings out of that setup already, a quick search suggests the 430 struggles with games released three or four years ago (Skyrim for example) so you'll most likely get another 2-3 years out of it before it's unable to run games at a reasonable quality, and about 5 before it straight up decides it won't run Elder Scrolls 6 or The Sims 5 at all.

Mirage
02-13-2014, 10:10 PM
The sims have usually had pretty low system requirements. The Sims 3 can run at even some of the lowest spec laptop GPUs that are sold today.

I wouldn't agree that the 430 is very mid level though. My GTX 460 is a lot better than it, and my card is low-mid end.

escobert
02-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Yeah I would even consider like a 500 series that was less that 60 to be low mid end. I really want a 580 but I think they're just too much right now.

this is my current card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127502

DanielCLFFF13
02-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys for your advice and opinion :) Much appreciated. Sorry if this kind of late.

It would take a pretty monumental piece of kit to keep up for 10 years. Anything more than 3-4 years is a good achievement.

DOUBLE THIS AT LEAST
yeah my RAM is mid-low in this gen of gaming. Want to buy some but which one is better. Pretty high but affordable.

10 years? 10 years is a loooooooong time. No, it won't. In fact, odds are it won't be running after 10 years, statistically speaking, without some kind of part replacement.

At any rate, 4GB of RAM won't last that long to keep up with modern games - but RAM is very easy to expand later, so it isn't really that big a concern. The video card won't keep up, either, over the long haul (and won't run some current games very smoothly already).
Yeah since I reviewed or compared games requirement of the past and now. It's like a big jump. I reviewed from 2000 until now.

no. Your GPU is older and you need more RAM. I wouldn't use anything less than a X60 series card. I prefer the 80's but they cost a lot. I payed over $150 for my 480GTX about 6 months ago and they were still retailing for over $200 at a lot of places. You will want 8+GB of DDR2+ RAM. I'd say look into a 560 or 580. 600 series are still expensive.

I am basically a PC only gamer. Have been all of my life. Also have built my last 3 rigs myself. If you need any help feel free to ask me.
I definitely will thank escobert :) Although my father the one who bought this PC. I didn't come along to built this. So he or maybe the seller thought that this spec is quite enough. But the fact say otherwise haha :D I don't really understand about DDR. I have DDR3. My friend have DDR2. Like which one is better? He use AMD though, I forgot the series.

Listen to escobert on the parts advice.

And having a PC that'll keep up with gaming for more than five years or so is unlikely. Ten years would be almost impossible. Most of the parts aren't made to last that long, and even if they did after ten years the way hardware design changes over time would leave you lucky to manage new games on low settings at that point. No matter how powerful the hardware was when you bought it.

Better to plan and budget for new hardware every 5-7 years or so tops. Go with the upper end of the mid range stuff and it'll keep going strong for that period of time and serve you well until you replace it.
I bought this like three years ago. That time my spec was mid. Now I think it should be mid-low or even low. Still thanks for the advice Vivi :)

CPU is good enough for now. RAM is low but workable. Few current games use more than 2-3 GB RAM, so if you keep the amount of background processes low, you can make do. GPU is terrible, even for current games. Upgrade to a budget GTX 600-series or better and you'll play current games pretty well. Upgrade to 8 GB RAM and you'll be good for perhaps games released 3-4 years from now.

I have a few years old GTX 460 and it can run current games at medium settings most of the time. I'm looking to upgrade soon though, not because I absolutely need it, but because I like high framerates and tons of antialiasing. How much power you need to be able to "game" on a PC is also entirely dependent on how high standards you have. If you are fine with playing PC games at the same graphics level as PS3 and XB360 outputs (or PS4/XBO from now on), you don't need to spend a lot on your PC upgrades at all.
I played Grand Theft Auto IV on recommended setting but still the game a bit lag. Like got when I drive it's a bit slow on frame rates. GTX is definitely good. But for 3-5 years I don't think it would keep up though.

It's pretty much been covered already, but yeah that setup won't be able to play the latest games in 10 years time. Probably not even 5 if we're being realistic.

The 430 is currently a very mid-ranged card and according to Video Card Benchmarks (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+430&id=53[/URL) you can get it now for less than $50, and as mentioned you need to at least double your RAM within the next year or two to keep up.

My guess is you're not getting great settings out of that setup already, a quick search suggests the 430 struggles with games released three or four years ago (Skyrim for example) so you'll most likely get another 2-3 years out of it before it's unable to run games at a reasonable quality, and about 5 before it straight up decides it won't run Elder Scrolls 6 or The Sims 5 at all.
Bethesda will make the Six game of Elder scrolls? I wonder the requirement, must be pretty high :) Like Far Cry 3, I must put the graphic to low just to make the game work properly.

Kinda think that my VGA kind of low. So does my RAM. Definitely want to buy VGA and RAM. Since don't have that kind of money now just save some. But with the game evolution right now. I reviewed game requirements for PC from about 2000 until now. It's like way fast evolution on spec. I think mine would be low spec.

GTX is good but I don't think it would be last for another 3-5 year. Since Titan already out. But it's price is so high. So I can't afford it. Yeah just trying to find requirement that pretty high but affordable. But I think it would be hard to find. Or maybe none.

I just changed my motherboard to some a little bit higher than before. Here's the thing. It support dual RAM. Really want to place 2 of them. They said that I could use or place 2 RAM. For this gen of gaming even 2 of 4 GB RAM won't meet the requirement. Call of Duty Ghost for example or even the upcoming Watch Dogs, the game is very cool but requirement is way to high. Although some games would meet. But for the next 3-5 maybe it will be higher. Though not even know where to place it haha :D

Sorry if my english not so good.:)

Mirage
02-24-2014, 03:27 PM

I played Grand Theft Auto IV on recommended setting but still the game a bit lag. Like got when I drive it's a bit slow on frame rates. GTX is definitely good. But for 3-5 years I don't think it would keep up though.

I never said my GTX460 would last another 3-5 years. I said it is what currently counts as lower mid-end, to show that your card which is even lower can't be considered mid-end.

escobert
02-24-2014, 09:39 PM
DDR2 RAM is the older Vesion of DDR3 :p I can't go into specifics, as I don't know them but it's newer and cooler and stuff.

Lenna
03-22-2014, 12:16 AM
The sims have usually had pretty low system requirements. The Sims 3 can run at even some of the lowest spec laptop GPUs that are sold today.

I wouldn't agree that the 430 is very mid level though. My GTX 460 is a lot better than it, and my card is low-mid end.

You say that about the Sim's but if you have a 'mid range' setup it struggles if you have more than one expansion. it takes up a stupid amount of resources even on silly settings :( I've had to buy myself a fairly high end laptop just to be able to survive as I have every expansion pack lol, my Macbook always struggled (using windows 7) after the second expansion, kept blue screening after taking forever to load ;(

but as said, need more ram and definitely a more recent graphics card if you want it to last a while. My PC has the GTX570 GLH edition and still runs pretty strong after 2 years of having it, runs anything I throw at it with ultra high settings and looks smooth.