PDA

View Full Version : ToriJ's Top 11 Television Shows

Ayen
02-05-2014, 05:57 AM
In the spirit of making lists and putting your name at the front of it, I thought I would do something a little different and make one involving TV programs. Why top eleven? Because I like to go one step beyond. *writes royalty check to Doug Walker*

Most of these are going to be one hour shows. I was able to get plenty of praise and appalls on my last list so here's hoping this turns out to be just as successful at that thread. So, without further ado...

List
1. Doctor Who
2. Game of Thrones
3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
4. Xena: Warrior Princess
5. Charmed
6. Star Trek
7. Star Trek The Next Generation
8. Law & Order: SVU
9. Community
10. Emily of New Moon
11. Glee

Yes, I like Glee, and I know I'm not the only one. I've seen your guys Glee sets! Like a lot of shows I enjoy, I didn't watch it when it first came on. The first episode I tuned in to watch was the Britney Spears episode because I was a fan of hers. Yes, I like Britney Spears too. And I'm not sorry.

My mom would become a fan later on and got the first season on DVD and that is when I became a fan. At first it was mainly Sue and Kurt that kept me coming back for more as I found both characters hilarious. After a time I ended up falling in love with the whole cast, even Rachel, as surprising as that was to me. I am also the proud owner of Glee Season 1 - 4 on DVD, the latter being one I still need to sit through. My favorite seasons are 2, 1, 3 in that order. And I am soooo happy to see Dianna Agron is starting to branch out into movies.

Discuss, speculate, plot my untimely demise.

Shlup
02-05-2014, 06:53 AM
And this is already the worst list of all time. You're fired.

Ayen
02-05-2014, 06:58 AM
And this is already the worst list of all time. You're fired.

I had a job?

Shauna
02-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Glee hasn't been good since season 1. And even then good is probably a bit much.

Shaibana
02-05-2014, 02:24 PM
i dont even have 11 shows..
seriously.. all there is on tv are crime scene shows (i can seriously mention 10 right now, that are recently made ) and stupid talent shows!

i never liked Glee, its just not my thing

Ayen
02-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Am I to understand no one likes Glee?

i dont even have 11 shows..
seriously.. all there is on tv are crime scene shows (i can seriously mention 10 right now, that are recently made ) and stupid talent shows!

I heard people like crime drama show, so I got them this crime drama so they can watch crime drama while they crime drama.

This isn't a current shows list, though. Out of all eleven there are only... *checks list* five shows that are still on the air.

noxious.sunshine
02-05-2014, 04:33 PM
God ToriJ.

You didn't know these people are Glee-haters!? What's wrong with you!?

I love Glee. Seasons 1-3. I really hate the newb high school cast. That Kat/Katie person cheerio thing is a cheap copy of Quinn/Santana and she annoys me to no end, Marley is just whatever, and yeah.

I loved Brittany S. Pierce .. So very much.

Shauna
02-05-2014, 04:46 PM
I still watch Glee, for some reason, despite it being rubbish. It's an addiction.

Ayen
02-05-2014, 04:55 PM
They probably should have ended it after season three, honestly. That finale already had everything that would have wrapped up the series nicely. The older kids graduating, finally winning nationals after two years of coming up short, the comfort in knowing the Choir was in good hands. It felt like a series finale to me. A show with a high school setting like this can really only make it 3/4 years and the four year thing only works if your cast all start off as freshmen.

I like it because it was one of the few musicals I saw on TV that actually worked. Having it set in a choir room helped and I love music so hearing so many great songs be covered and introduced to a new generation that are watching the show was nice to see, and quite frankly if I have to listen to Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black songs I'd rather they be performed by the cast of Glee.

Moving on, something that at least the Canadians on board might have heard of, or one of the many, many devoted book lovers, I have no idea.

Based off the book by L. M. Montgomery, Emily of New Moon stars an orphan named Emily Starr who moves in with relatives after losing both her parents. Time set in early 1900's at least, I want to say late 1800's, though. Emily is a writer forbidden to write another line by her Aunt, but does that stop her? No. Girl would have rolled her body in the sand to write if you took away all her limbs and mouth. Being a writer myself I related to Emily's struggle in that field a lot and I thought it depicted the era in which it all takes place in rather well especially when they covered women place in the world and black people. I would have never known this show even existed if it wasn't for the This Network airing it early in the morning and my ever changing bed schedule. The fourth season is meh, but the first three are excellent. Though it can get a little weird at times...

Shaibana
02-05-2014, 05:08 PM
i sort of like those kind of series, weird enoug.
im watching Little house on the prary, wich we have always watched.
but right after that comes Dr. Quinn medicine woman.. got sucked into that show

Ayen
02-05-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm familiar with Little House on the Prary, but never heard of the other one. I always like their outfits in these shows.

Shaibana
02-05-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm familiar with Little House on the Prary, but never heard of the other one. I always like their outfits in these shows.

ive never heard of it before either, but they just suddenly started to air it right after Little House. since there was nothing else interesting on tv at that hour, i just watched it... now im so sucked into it that ill get mad if i have to miss it.
its finnaly something ´new´ on tv :)

i also refer to it as The Other Little house. its pretty much in the same set up and time

Del Murder
02-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Number 1 better be Walker Texas Ranger.

Shaibana
02-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Number 1 better be Walker Texas Ranger.

im hoping for a perhaps Game of thrones or Walking dead :P

if its an crime scene serie then... i dunno :roll2

Ayen
02-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Wow, what a wonderful audience.

This has recently been airing at 9PM with two episodes back to back on 38 The Spot so I'm basically watching it everyday now. And the reason I'm including it on a list of mostly one hour shows is because I really do believe the writing is on par with any 60 minute program you'll find on TV. I have watched several of the same episodes already and they don't became any less funny on reviewing and it's a highlight of my evening when they come on. Now if I could only remember to tune in for the new episodes on NBC...

noxious.sunshine
02-05-2014, 08:54 PM
I've never heard of #10

Never watched Community. -__-;

Ayen
02-05-2014, 09:14 PM
There's always that one entry that no one has ever heard of.

Community has the misfortune of being on at the same time as the Big Bang Theory so I always forget it's on.

Slothy
02-05-2014, 09:16 PM
I've heard of Emily of New Moon but never watched it. Didn't look like the sort of thing that would interest me at all growing up, and I've always been a bit put off by anything to do with L.M. Montgomery. I don't have a good reason for it, but I'm from PEI and her stuff is so big there I could never stand it.

Ayen
02-05-2014, 09:21 PM
I didn't even know it was for kids. It gets bonus points from me for not talking down to kids because I never felt like I was watching a kids show.

Slothy
02-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't know if it's for kids, but it was on all the damn time when I was a kid. Stupid CBC.

Shaibana
02-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Community is great! i love it!
im not so sure when its on the tv, but when i can find it i always watch it.
ive tried watching season 4 (or 5?) on the internet, but it just doesnt have the same feeling to it.. and they started somewhere weird, so ill first have to rewath the previous episodes to know what happened becaus it started with Jeff geing bankrupt in his office
so ill just watch it on tv :D

Nr.9 has my:

Ayen
02-05-2014, 10:54 PM
I don't know if it's for kids, but it was on all the damn time when I was a kid. Stupid CBC.

I know the books were for kids, but I have no idea about the TV show.

Community is great! i love it!
im not so sure when its on the tv, but when i can find it i always watch it.
ive tried watching season 4 (or 5?) on the internet, but it just doesnt have the same feeling to it..

Season Four and it's because they got rid of the showrunner for one stupid reason or another that it didn't have the same feel. It's considered the worst of the seasons, luckily the showrunner has returned for Season Five. To my knowledge I haven't seen any of the episodes of Season Four yet.

If there's one thing I noticed, it's that all the shows I have listed so far has had problems with their fourth season.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-05-2014, 10:55 PM
I love Community. I'm actually currently rewatching the series in the background as I work on other stuff and am about halfway through Season 4. You can tell the fourth season was pretty shaky with Harmon being kicked off the show. The characters often feel more like caricatures of themselves (I think that would be the right term.) Everyone feels off. There are still some funny moments, though! Season 5 has been pretty great so far with only 1 episode I'd consider a bit of a dud.

Glee I did not enjoy at all the one episode I saw. To be fair, that's not giving it much of a chance. It doesn't seem like my thing, though. The other show I've never heard of.

Botchmun
02-05-2014, 11:57 PM
I don't watch TV what the hell am I doing here?

Ayen
02-06-2014, 12:15 AM
It's appropriate that this is at number eight since that's probably how many shows there's been. You had the original, this one, Criminal Intent, Trial by Jury (that didn't last) Los Angeles (that didn't last either) and I know you folks over in the UK had your own version of the show. To my knowledge SVU is the only that still remains, which I find to be a testament to how good it is as out of all of them SVU has the most recognizable cast. You can tune in the middle of any of them and know which Law & Order it is just by who's appearing on your television screen.

What makes Law & Order stands out from all the crime drama for me, except perhaps being among the more realistic ones, is that they take real cases and use them as the starting platform for their episodes and that's probably why the franchise has survived for as long as it has. Because if there's one thing you can count on is the continuation of sick people doing disgusting things to other people. SVU especially can get a little hard to watch since it's the show that deals specifically with rape cases and child molestation, but nine times out of ten they're very good in the way they go about it. The show's not as good now that a lot of the old cast members keep leaving, but it's been around since 99, that was bound to happen sooner or later. Hopefully it'll end because it slags too much.

And to put Shaibana's mind at ease this is the only crime drama that will be appearing on the list.

Slothy
02-06-2014, 01:13 AM
SVU is a guilty pleasure of mine. But they've had some absolutely moronic episodes over the years that piss me off tremendously.

Pumpkin
02-06-2014, 01:21 AM
I have not watched most of these shows so far

Ayen
02-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Yeah... SVU is getting to that point where they should probably end it.

Shion needs to come over to my place and we'll have marathon.

Slothy
02-06-2014, 04:30 AM
Any time I see them depict gamers in any fashion I wish they would end it. My god they love their gamer stereotypes. The other Law & Orders weren't any better in that regard.

Shlup
02-06-2014, 05:45 AM
This list is cabbage.

Calliope
02-06-2014, 05:46 AM
Let's all make our own lists!

Shlup
02-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Once Tori is done I'll show you what a proper list is. I'm still not forgiving him for putting Glee on there.

Del Murder
02-06-2014, 06:06 AM
I'd make a list but all 11 entries would be Walker Texas Ranger.

escobert
02-06-2014, 06:09 AM
It's always sunny x 11 plz thx

Botchmun
02-06-2014, 06:15 AM
HOW DARE YOU LIKE WHAT I DON'T LIKE!

Fix'd.

Shaibana
02-06-2014, 11:53 AM
i hate Law and Order.. my mother watches it all the time.
i dont like crime scene stuff in general.
but this serie is so.. politicly right :l

Ayen
02-08-2014, 06:59 AM
I remember watching this show as a kid, would catch it on cable over at relative houses when I was older and finally got to watch through it properly on 38 The Spot. Except for a few episodes in the first two seasons, this show doesn't find its footing I feel until Season Three and once it takes off, it takes off. It has some of the greatest episodes I've seen on TV and always leave me with hope in the future of humanity.

Botchmun
02-08-2014, 09:15 AM
never got into The Next Generation back in the day, but I've been gaining a considerable appreciation for star trek as of late... maybe I'll pick it up and marathon that malarkey.

Shaibana
02-08-2014, 12:32 PM
aah, star trek :D yeah
i always watched that when i was younger.
they would air it pretty much all year through!

Del Murder
02-08-2014, 05:21 PM
I've been watching TNG recently. It's pretty good. The Data episodes are the best.

Ayen
02-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Yeah, Data is the best. I always enjoyed when Brent Spiner pulled double duty and played as Lore as well. And anything with John de Lancie in it is bound to be good. Captain Picard gave the best speeches too.

Pumpkin
02-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Data is my favorite character :D

Raistlin
02-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Ooh, a show I agree with! TNG is great. Way better than Walker Texas Ranger.

Also, I could never get into Law & Order: SVU. I preferred the original, at least after Sam Waterston came on as Jack McCoy. I concede that the SVU police were better, but I much preferred the original's lawyers and plots. I watched the smurf out of the original in high school. Now that I actually am a criminal lawyer, I have been scared to go back and watch old episodes for fear of it ruining my memories.

Del Murder
02-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Ooh, a show I agree with! TNG is great. Way better than Walker Texas Ranger.
Blasphemy!

Ayen
02-09-2014, 02:34 AM
While we're on the subject of Star Trek,

No storyarcs, each episode is a timeless classic with an unforgettable cast of characters. Star Trek is one of those shows where you can jump in at any time (with perhaps the exception of the pilot and the two-part episode) and not be lost or have to worry about catching up as each episode was its own story that resolved itself at the end. It's the series that started it all and has more classic episodes than I can even count apart from having the shortest TV run of all of them. And the Kurt, Spock, Bones relationship is one of the best trios I've seen on television. Not to mention Scotty is a hoot! How tough are Scotsmen?

I rest my case.

Slothy
02-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Love that Scotty picture. One tough mother fucker.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-09-2014, 02:57 AM
I sure am one tough mother smurfer.

... Wait...

Ayen
02-09-2014, 02:58 AM
I'm reading all your posts in Scotty's accent from now on.

Slothy
02-09-2014, 02:59 AM
That sounds like a plan. Someone force a set change on him.

Botchmun
02-09-2014, 03:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sDEojEo.jpg?1

Raistlin
02-09-2014, 03:18 AM
I like the TOS, and it does have some great episodes, but I think TNG did almost everything better. The Kirk-Spock-Bones banter is really the only thing TOS has over TNG, but TNG has better writing, a better supporting cast, and a better captain (http://home.eyesonff.com/lounge/144741-kirk-picard-superdeath-battle-2000-ahhhhh.html).

Ayen
02-09-2014, 04:01 AM
I ain't touching that Kirk/Picard debate with a 20ft pole.

This show is cheesy with corny acting, I'm not going to state otherwise. I don't care, that's part of the charm *shot* This was one of three shows that came out in the nineties that took women out of the role of damsel in distress and featured them as the main heroes. It grabbed me from Season One and were one of the rare times where I found myself having to watch every single episode until I reached the end. And in the end one character stood out among the rest.

Piper Halliwell. I think she's one of the best female characters to be put on television. She multitasked being a sister, a mother, a wife, a hero, a leader and a successful business owner and could be just as badass as the rest of them. And I swear she was the only sister who got to wear regular clothes and not just look sleazy.

Pumpkin
02-09-2014, 05:16 AM
I like Charmed. People make fun of me for it though :(

Shaibana
02-09-2014, 11:10 AM
another star trek? thats a little lame. i think you should count those 2 as 1 :o

CHARMED!! OMG i used to watch those series till i could dream them xD
my sister has 2 seasons on dvd :)

i absolutely loved it!
i never quit understood how Prue died, they got attacked and suddenly the next episode she is dead. it never really got explained or anything
its too bad they never air it anymore :( i hope they will do that sometime soon

Shauna
02-09-2014, 11:19 AM
The girl who played Prue caused friction on set or the director didn't like her anymore or something, so she got booted. Pity the show went to hell after that too. Never quite recovered.

blackmage_nuke
02-09-2014, 11:22 AM
I liked charmed but it was on during the stage in my life where I would love a tv show just because it had a good opening credits song

Shaibana
02-09-2014, 11:54 AM
The girl who played Prue caused friction on set or the director didn't like her anymore or something, so she got booted. Pity the show went to hell after that too. Never quite recovered.

i know that, but its the way they wrote her out. she might as well have died on a heart attack or something

Shauna
02-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Ooh, right, I get you. x} Well, they had to get her out some way or another.

Quindiana Jones
02-09-2014, 12:14 PM
God damn love Charmed. Great opening credits. Never seen a single minute of Walker Texas Ranger. :/

Ayen
02-09-2014, 09:42 PM
I figured what happened was the trout with Shannen occurred after they finished Season Three and she already left by the time they started Season Four so they had to improvise.

I think by now people can guess I have a weakness for shows starring female protagonists. And this show had the most female characters out of any show that would ever air to my current knowledge. It was awesome. Lasted for six seasons, I have all six on DVD. In addition to the infamous duo Xena and Gabrielle you had Joxer, you had Ares, you had Callisto and you had the King of Thieves played by Bruce Campbell. Same guy who brought us Evil Dead. My interest in Greek mytho came from watching this show. (Didn't they have a couple of musicals too?) We don't talk about that.

Quindiana Jones
02-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Quite simply, YES.

Slothy
02-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Fuck yeah Xena!

Ayen
02-09-2014, 10:03 PM
So many cheers I'm afraid to finish the list now.

Agent Proto
02-09-2014, 10:24 PM
It's too late to back out now. Finish what you started. I also want to say that you have an interesting list, and of the shows you listed, I haven't seen three of them. The first two, and Charmed. I actually enjoy watching crime shows like SVU. There's just something about them I like.

Ayen
02-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Well, when you put it that way.

This was so hard to place! The whole top five was just one big grr. But here we are, number three. Before Joss Whedon became mainstream. I remember watching the pilot as a kid and I watched it on and off for a number of years. I think the family stopped watching around Season Five and I got back into the show on Season Six at the musical and I watched it religiously every Tuesday night after that. Eventually went back and got all the seasons on DVD. And I think one of the reasons, if not the reason, I'm so good at writing dialog and character interactions is from watching this show because the banter that would go on was some of the best I've seen. Joss has a way with words... And a way with killing off our favorite characters... Vampires, demons, witches, and spells and what gets her? Natural causes.

Botchmun
02-09-2014, 10:44 PM
I was wondering when Power Rangers meets Friends was gunna show up on this list.

Ayen
02-10-2014, 03:01 AM
Botchmun knows me too well. That's why Botchmun will be in no way surprised at the next entry on my list,

Do I even need to say it? As usual I was late to the party. My mom was watching this show before I was, that's how late to the party I was. I started watching the show last September the same week I was reviewing Skyrim I was having a very medieval week. I watched all three seasons back to back in just a couple of days. So you can imagine the drinking! That I would do if I drank. Uh oh... I'm having flashbacks... Aww, that's a crappy way to go. GODDAMMIT LITTLEFINGER! GOD DAMN YOU! Just take the deal, Ned. OH MOTHER SMURFER GODAMMIT YOU TROUTHEAD! SMURF YOU!

Haha, he got crowned. Oh you have got to be smurfing kidding me that is not an appropriate death. AHHHHHHHHH! Stop killing off people I like! Oh don't you dare... Don't you dare reunite her with her mother just in time for the wedding. DON'T YOU DARE! DON'T YOU SMURFING--! Oh thank God she didn't make it in time. Whew. Oh no I just remembered all the crap that happened in Winterfell. NOOOOOOOOO! Btw is someone ever going to off the Bastard King?

Book Readers: :smug:
Stop being so smug, you butts. It's a show that made me question my own morality and let me tell you as stubborn as I can be that's a smurfing accomplishment. And that's the story of how I became a drinker.

Botchmun
02-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Porn Knights is an interesting show.

Shaibana
02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
jezus smurfing christ, ToriJ

i must admit your list is ending damn well!
Xena! ofcourse! i know i have watched it but i cant remember anything from it, lol!!

Buffy!? definitly! i remember having a crush on Angel :D i even named a guinea pig after him.
my sister had a guinea pig too and she named him Spikey :P
though i must admit that when i saw an episode last year i was like '' wtf? did i really like this?'' xD

Game of thrones.. enough said :D

is your nr.1 ... walking dead? :D

Agent Proto
02-10-2014, 12:49 PM
I wonder what number one will be.

Ayen
02-10-2014, 02:44 PM
This should be a surprise to no one. What might be a surprise to people is that I've only been a fan of the show for a year now. I began watching it around this time last year and has been hooked ever since. The longest running SciFi show on TV and even while off the air Doctor Who has managed to remain relevant for fifty years, from going to a show with virtually no budget whatsoever to a worldwide phenomenon speaks for itself, and more classic episodes then one can shake a stick at. If you weren't satisfied with one period of the show then it's almost guaranteed that you'll be content with another. Due to its very nature the show is always changing and through regeneration it's the only show on television that can recast the main role and keep on going. I need something to close out on, how to sum up fifty years in just a few words? Oh.

"I walked away from the last great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe and I watched as time ran out. Moment by moment until nothing remained, no time, no space, just me! I've walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a madman! I've watched universes freeze and creations burn! I have seen things you wouldn't believe. I have lost things you will never understand! And I know things, secrets that must never be told, knowledge that must never be spoken, knowledge that would make parasite gods blaze!"

Shaibana
02-10-2014, 03:12 PM
i dont know that show :o
i know it only by name and reputation

Agent Proto
02-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Doctor Who is a great show, and a respectable number one on any top ten lists of tv shows in my book. You should start watching Shaibana, but the number of episodes may taunt you if you haven't yet started.