PDA

View Full Version : Sega redesign characters for new Sonic Boom game

AssassinDX
02-06-2014, 07:14 PM
SEGA planning new game around Sonic Boom, first look at new Sonic and Knuckles designs | Nintendo Everything (http://nintendoeverything.com/sega-planning-new-game-around-sonic-boom-first-look-at-new-sonic-and-knuckles-designs/)

EGA’s Sonic press event is taking place as we speak, and one member of the press was kind enough to share a few tidbits from the presentation. As expected, Sonic Boom is intended to act as the next-generation of SEGA’s vision for the franchise. The television show will lead to a new game on dedicated gaming systems as well as mobile platforms.

Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, and Amy are all getting new looks. Sonic and Knuckles, shown above, feature sports tape. Tails possesses a tool belt.

Knuckles looks like he's on steroids...

Shauna
02-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Wow it looks like they've just photoshopped heads onto bodies here. I laughed.

Slothy
02-06-2014, 08:29 PM
No.

:stare:

Agent Proto
02-06-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure if I like this new look. But they look recognizable so it can't be that bad.

Madonna
02-06-2014, 08:57 PM
The bandages make them extra legit.

Dr Unne
02-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Remember when Sonic ran fast and picked up rings? And didn't talk or have a personality? Because he didn't need one, because he was a more or less a placeholder graphic in a fun 2D platformer? That's how it should've stayed.

Sonic's corpse has been flogged so much for so long, it can't be more than a sticky blue pulp at this point.

Ayen
02-06-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't see much difference when comparing to the original designs, just that these are very, very bad cardboard cutouts.

Slothy
02-06-2014, 10:32 PM
I don't see much difference when comparing to the original designs, just that these are very, very bad cardboard cutouts.

Apparently Knuckles grew several inches, became a body builder, and started wrapping his hands with athletic tape. And unless I'm mistaken, it looks like his knuckles are now some metal weapon rather than something that's (presumably) a feature of his biology.

Crop
02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Knuckles obviously missed a leg day in the gym.

Mercen-X
02-06-2014, 10:48 PM
I dreamt about playing a Sonic game last night. I played as multiple versions of Sonic and apparently once accidentally as Tails.

Ayen
02-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Apparently Knuckles grew several inches, became a body builder, and started wrapping his hands with athletic tape. And unless I'm mistaken, it looks like his knuckles are now some metal weapon rather than something that's (presumably) a feature of his biology.

Ohh, thanks. It was hard to measure the sizes in the pictures. Looks like Knuckles is wearing a shirt, too.

I swear fixing what isn't broke has been Sega's motto for Sonic for years now.

Slothy
02-06-2014, 11:09 PM
You can see the size difference a bit better in the article since it has a piece of artwork with all four characters standing together. Knuckles is a full head taller than Sonic.

Also, everyday is leg day.

Ayen
02-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Right, now I see it. He gets to be the awkward looking tall friend. Someone at Sega must have a bandage fetish going around.

Tails and Amy managed to get out of it looking all right.

Crop
02-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Also, everyday is leg day.

Not for Knuckles it isn't.

Slothy
02-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Right, now I see it. He gets to be the awkward looking tall friend. Someone at Sega must have a bandage fetish going around.

The stupid thing is (and maybe it's kind of silly that this bothers me), but aside from Knuckles having his wrists wrapped, none of the tape makes any sense.

Tails and Amy managed to get out of it looking all right.

Looks like they barely changed Amy, and Tails looks fine because they basically just drew the same old Tails with a tool belt and goggles.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-06-2014, 11:51 PM
h2N8g9zz8yU Here's a trailer for the game if anyone's interested. Aside from the music in the trailer and the stupid character designs, it looks like it could be a fun game. I don't like the character designs at all though.

Dr Unne
02-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Yep, when I think of Sonic, giant mechanical Dune worms are always the first thing to come to mind.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 12:42 AM
The only design that really bugs me is Knuckles. I don't like the tape on Sonic either, but his design overall doesn't bug me as much. If I can get over that the gameplay looks promising.

Pike
02-07-2014, 01:53 AM
Knux looks really bizarre to me but I don't mind the other designs.

Tails is super cute as per usual :3:

Scotty_ffgamer
02-07-2014, 02:06 AM
Kind of unrelated to this, but I want Blaze the Cat to make a return as a playable character in one of the home console Sonic games. Say what you will about Sonic '06, but the Blaze sections where actually a lot of fun. Even more of an unlikely dream, I really want a game set in the Sonic SatAM universe.

I have no problem with the mechanical dune worm thing. Sonic has had some pretty weird enemies and bosses, at least if you look at the Adventure games and onwards.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 02:22 AM
Sonic has had plenty of robot base enemies in the old games.

black orb
02-07-2014, 04:35 AM
>>> ..... They look the same to me..:luca:

Fynn
02-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Sonic looks like he's wearing a turtle neck out of his own skin.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
02-07-2014, 07:01 AM
seriously not liking the new design for knuckles.
Everyone else is fine, just NOT HIM.

Psychotic
02-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Is Knuckles wearing a onesie? Sonic looks really awkward standing there naked next to him and Amy with just his little scarf thing on.

No interest in playing a Sonic game unless this plays on a loop: Sonic SatAM Theme: The Fastest Thing Alive - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KMrZ5TGFmo) hell the chipmunk girl or whatever in that is pretty naked apart from her boots too. Man, I used to love that cartoon - was never quite so keen on the Super Mario one.

Kalevala
02-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Yep, when I think of Sonic, giant mechanical Dune worms are always the first thing to come to mind.

"I must not walk. Walking is the speed-killer."