PDA

View Full Version : This game is great!

Madame Adequate
02-07-2014, 02:03 AM
This is the only FF I've not played before (barring some side games) and I've just started playing the PSP version.

All I can say so far is that I love it, it's tremendous and I'm already super addicted, I love love love the way character skills and stats develop according to what you do and I wish more JRPGs did that.

So far Firion is a fighter with a fire spell, Maria is a monk with various magics, and Guy duel-wields HUGE AXES!

Pike
02-07-2014, 02:05 AM
YES GET IN http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/smiley/getin001_zpscd2687d5.gif I love this game so much. It was so much fun to play and it saddens me that it doesn't get the attention it does. I think this is up there with FFX and FFTA as one of my all-time fave Final Fantasy games.

Now I want to replay it.

DON'T FORGET TO UNEQUIP YOUR TEMPORARY CHARACTERS BEFORE THEY LEAVE YOUR PARTY

Ayen
02-07-2014, 02:10 AM
It had a kickass cover too,

I love that logo.

I remember having fun for the bits I played. I have Final Fantasy Origins so I get to play I and II on that. Can't remember why I stopped, I think it was because of I.

Shoot, if Mister Adequate and Pike gives it their seal of approval I'm going to have to find time to play it again in the foreseeable future.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-07-2014, 02:13 AM
This game is pretty awesome. I didn't think I would be a fan of the stat leveling going into it, but I didn't have any issues while I played. I don't know what the PSP version was like, but I played the GBA version where they had rebalanced the stat leveling to make it a bit easier, I think.

I actually really enjoy the story of this game too. Considering how bare bones the first FF was story-wise, this game had some nice characters, an interesting world, and a pretty awesome antagonist. There's a lot of meat there considering the time the game came out.

Pumpkin
02-07-2014, 02:20 AM
I'm replaying it on the PSP also :D. It is a fun game!

Ayen
02-07-2014, 02:51 AM
I'm popping Origins into the PS3 to have a round of II now (yay backward compatibility!) we should have a compare and constrast of the different versions while we play.

Oh great, I have to wait for a update to finish first.

Skyblade
02-07-2014, 02:53 AM
You may love the leveling system now. Give it time. The flaws will start to stand out pretty quickly.

While the concept is cool, the execution fails. Mostly because it will not keep your stats well rounded. As you Dodge more attacks, your Dodge increases. Which makes you Dodge even more. So eventually you have really high evade. But this means that your defenses are pitiful, so when you do inevitably get hit, you have no HP or Defense to make it survivable, and you get one-hit-killed.

Magic is absolutely ridiculous at high levels, because not only do you have to keep using it to level it up, you have to use it a particular number of times in each battle to continue to increase it, and very few mobs will live that long.

Due to the way so many of the different systems work against each other, you have to grind a ton to get everything up and keep your characters fairly viable. And the best way to grind? Hitting yourself. Expect to spend hours just sitting around beating up your own characters as you try to get through things.

And, as the final nail in the coffin, the dungeon design is not strong. There are tons of pointless mazes that don't feel like actual locations, and are incredibly easy to get lost in. You get no sense of where you should go, or why the location is structured the way it is. And if you ever save in a dungeon and put the game down for a week, good luck. You will probably never make it out of that dungeon when you pick it back up.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 02:59 AM
I'm just going to follow Electroshock Therapy (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ii/154455-final-fantasy-ii.html#post3371931) advice when it comes to self-mutilation. And pretty much everything else he said.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-07-2014, 03:14 AM
I can say that I never had to mutilate myself (or do too much grinding really) in the GBA version of the game. I feel like the PSP version follows suit with the rebalancing of the leveling system, but I could be remembering wrong. The Origins version I feel like does keep the leveling issues of the original release though. I can't remember for sure.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 03:24 AM
Did the PSP keep the CGI opening? I enjoyed that part. They make the stupid mistake of playing the clip before the title screen and after you start a new game but it's still good. What did you guys name your characters? I named the main guy Ayen and the main girl Tori. I couldn't think of anything for Gus and Leon so I kept them as is.

The beginning when those Black Knights own you made me go, "The smurf?" It's been forever since I played so I thought I was going to get a Game Over screen and then BAM, I'm okay!

Scotty_ffgamer
02-07-2014, 03:35 AM
The PSP version does have the CG cutscenes from what I've heard. I honestly just kept the default names for all of the characters, I'm pretty sure. I very rarely change character names.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 03:55 AM
I always name myself after the main character to further immerse myself into the world. It makes me that much more invested in what's happening when it feels like it's me in there. RPGs that allow you to make your own characters has only enhanced that experience in my mind. Does anyone ever play around with the window color? I have a nice green color scheme going right now.

I feel like I'm playing everyone on Monk mode with the punching. HAHA! Two of the monsters just ran away from me during a fight, that's awesome!

Electroshock Therapy
02-07-2014, 04:03 AM
I always name myself after the main character to further immerse myself into the world. It makes me that much more invested in what's happening when it feels like it's me in there. RPGs that allow you to make your own characters has only enhanced that experience in my mind. Does anyone ever play around with the window color? I have a nice green color scheme going right now.

I feel like I'm playing everyone on Monk mode with the punching. HAHA! Two of the monsters just ran away from me during a fight, that's awesome!

That reminds me. When I played the game, I was in the final dungeon and a Stone Giygas ran away from me in battle! I couldn't believe it. It wasn't a tiny and weak imp-like creature, it was a strong and giant Stone Giygas! It happened again when I encountered it a second time. I thought it was funny.

Someday, I'm going to replay the game and experiment more with customization. It was a lot of fun.

There was a period when I put my name into games like Zelda. Instead of enhancing the experience, it felt weird seeing my own name on screen. So I went back to naming him Link or Raisin if it's toon Link. Yes, Raisin.

Pumpkin
02-07-2014, 05:01 AM
I've been increasing my magic, and I don't seem to need to use magic a certain amount of times per battle, it has a little meter next to it that fills every time I use it. Some do take longer than others. So far Shell and Protect are a poop to level up.

The PSP does have the CG cutscenes.

Ayen
02-07-2014, 05:13 AM
I find it funny that targeting multiple enemies with a single spell does less damage than targeting them one at a time. So far I'm doing the most damage with my hands ranging in the 40, 50, 60 range depending on who I'm hitting. I gave Maria the fire spell and Gus Cure.

Gus strength increased
Gus intelligent decreased
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Did anyone else think of Scotty_ffgamer when they met Prince Scott?

Pike
02-07-2014, 10:22 AM
You may love the leveling system now. Give it time. The flaws will start to stand out pretty quickly.

I dunno man I played through the entire thing and loved it the whole time

Fynn
02-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Ahem...

I love this one as well :) I really think it's underappreciated.

Skyblade - the PSP version is perfectly balanced. I played this version to the death. This one stays fun ;)

Madame Adequate
02-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Does anyone ever play around with the window color? I have a nice green color scheme going right now.

Whenever FF allows me to do so, I always make my windows a garish multicolored nightmare. Have done since I first played FF7, never stopped, never will. Sorry not sorry.

Pumpkin
02-07-2014, 04:58 PM
I change it after every event. Right now it is a light blue, like my nails :bigsmile:

Pike
02-07-2014, 05:21 PM
You guys are really making me want to replay this but I have other games to finish :whimper:

Ayen
02-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Whenever FF allows me to do so, I always make my windows a garish multicolored nightmare. Have done since I first played FF7, never stopped, never will. Sorry not sorry.

I remember doing that on FFVII too. That was so much fun.

You guys are really making me want to replay this but I have other games to finish :whimper:

Tell the other games they can wait.

Two of my guys just got hit with darkness and I have nowhere to find an item to cure it (staying at an inn doesn't revert the status) not to mention related items are in the 1k range anyway. I also have no idea how I'm supposed to get to Paloom.

Del Murder
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I've only ever played the FF Origins version. Does the PSP version fix the flaws with the level up system? If so I may try it some day. My lasting memory from this game is going into battles to repeatedly whack my own characters into oblivion and enter 'attack->cancel->attack->cancel' over and over again to gain stat/skill ups because the natural progression of said skill ups were far to infrequent when compared to the difficulty progression in the game. This was one of the most unfun things I've done in a video game.

I remember several caves where my team was fine only to get to a boss where my hits did 0 damage. I remember building up my fire spell to be halfway decent only to get a better spell that I have to now build up from scratch ('magic->flare->cancel->cancel->magic->flare->cancel->cancel'). I remember giving Maria a bow and putting her in the back row, which was great because she never got hit, but also meant she never got HP or defense up, thus making her a sitting duck if she ever did get targeted. Too many bad memories.

The story is great though.

Ayen
02-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah, weapons in this game are crap. You're better off unequipping weapons and armor as you deal more damage with your hands and evade more often and I don't put anyone in the back row so their health increase. I'm only at the beginning and already dealing damage into the hundreds.

Madame Adequate
02-12-2014, 05:56 AM
That switches when you get to endgame equipment.

I just finished it and, aside from a bit of a difficulty spike in the last dungeon I love this game immensely and think it's got to go high up my list of favorite FFs.

Pumpkin
02-12-2014, 05:58 AM
I haven't been playing it a whole bunch, so I'm still pretty early in the game.

Glad you liked it so much!

Ayen
02-12-2014, 06:02 AM
When can we expect the 2,000 words essay about why FFII is the greatest game of all time and why everyone should play it?

Madame Adequate
02-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Several days ago. (http://www.theandroidscloset.com/2014/02/the-merits-of-experimentation/)

Sephex
02-12-2014, 07:39 PM
I beat the GBA version ages ago. I liked it and had fun with it, as I recall. It's amazing how ballsy Square was back then. Now they hit their own ballz lol comeon squeni x get it together sdfa

Ayen
02-12-2014, 11:38 PM
Several days ago. (http://www.theandroidscloset.com/2014/02/the-merits-of-experimentation/)

You should have that trophy picture ready at all times.