PDA

View Full Version : Weird question

Ergroilnin
02-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Ok so this may sounds very creepy to some of you but I am personally very interested in this topic. The question sounds:

"If you had someone you want to kill and you could kill him/her without ANY consequences at all, would you kill the person?"

For me personally, the answer is yes but I don't have anyone I would want to kill even close and I would probably piss myself before really ending someone's life even if there were no consequences.

blackmage_nuke
02-09-2014, 03:16 PM
If by "no consequences" that also means there's no afterlife or whether i go to heaven/hell is not effected and this is known to me as a fact, then yes I'd off one of the more unstoppable brutally inhumane dictators. That is if a means to perform the murder is also provided as I assume I don't have the knowhow to choreograph an assassination by myself.
If it has to be someone i know personally and actually have a means and opportunity to kill then probably not unless I personally knew an unstoppable brutally inhumane dictator.

If the possibility of an afterlife is still unknown to me and "no consequences" only applies to real world consequences then I wouldn't kill anyone. Souls and/or lives may or may not be sacred and its not up to me to make that decision.

edit: Though if I KNEW there was NO afterlife, I might go nuts and just kill any human who is a hindrance in the pursuit of immortality (eg politicians and bureaucrats who would oppose stemcell research or something) assuming I can perform as many non-consequential murders as I like, ultimately becoming the unstoppable brutally inhumane dictator I once hated so much

Quindiana Jones
02-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Presumably, yes, since we've already established that this hypothetical person is somebody I want to kill. Since I'm already in the position of wanting to kill them, being gifted full immunity to do the deed would most likely guarantee the outcome.

I'd kill Psychotic.

LunarWeaver
02-09-2014, 03:40 PM
It really depends on what tools are available at the moment. A knife is just a lot of messy work. A gun maybe. They can live or die dependent on how lazy I feel that day.

blackmage_nuke
02-09-2014, 03:42 PM
I'd presume no consequences also means no cleanup or followup laundry

edit: also following my no afterlife/immorality train of thought, if i needed a new lung or something I might kill anyone who was a match to take theirs

edit2: also if no consequences means no ptsd or guilt then that means whatever gave me this non consequences ability is altering my brainchemistry if I commit the murder which is not cool but i think i could live with that if i was perusing immortality in a no afterlife universe or stopping dictators

Crop
02-09-2014, 11:25 PM
What? No.

Ayen
02-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Short answer: no.

Long answer: no.

Calliope
02-10-2014, 12:05 AM
I guess so? I mean, in this scenario, I really WANT to off someone!

Shiny
02-10-2014, 05:42 AM
I don't want to kill anyone.

Freya
02-10-2014, 05:44 AM
Even if there are "no consequences" that doesn't mean killing someone is okay.

No killing for me either.

Psychotic
02-10-2014, 07:25 AM
I'd kill Psychotic.That would be tremendously ambitious of you.

Kalevala
02-10-2014, 07:37 AM
I think the case for most of us is that when we say or think "I want to kill this person" it's mere hyperbole. It's easy to say yes if someone were to ask "if you had the chance, would you kill so-and-so?" But actually going through with it is another matter altogether.

"Would you kill so-and-so if you had the chance?"
"Oh, would I ever."
"Okay, here's all the tools necessary. No repercussions will come of this. Go for it."
"....w-wait. What?"

Sephex
02-11-2014, 12:03 AM
I would probably decide to do it, but back out in the heat of the moment. That is, if I actually felt I had to/wanted to kill someone.

Shorty
02-11-2014, 02:28 AM
God.

Think outside the box, nerds.

Bubba
02-11-2014, 02:37 AM
That's a pretty sick question, Ergroilnin. Just so we're clear, I mean sick in the 'diseased' way as opposed to the 'cool' way.

I've been wronged by many people, I know people who have done things that would warrant death when you consider the choices they've made. I could never consciously take someone's life. If anyone on here seriously thinks they could then I want nothing to do with them.

magemasher
02-11-2014, 02:39 AM
If I ever did anything like this I would probably get randomly stopped by the police on my way to do the deed.

blackmage_nuke
02-11-2014, 02:45 AM
That's a pretty sick question, Ergroilnin. Just so we're clear, I mean sick in the 'diseased' way as opposed to the 'cool' way.

I've been wronged by many people, I know people who have done things that would warrant death when you consider the choices they've made. I could never consciously take someone's life. If anyone on here seriously thinks they could then I want nothing to do with them.

Even if you knew that if theyre not killed they would kill many others?
Could you live knowing YOU could have easily stopped those deaths but didnt?

fire_of_avalon
02-11-2014, 02:51 AM
It would all depend upon whether this hypothetical person was just someone I wanted to kill or if it was someone who needed killing.

Some people need killing, that's all I'm saying.

Bubba
02-11-2014, 02:54 AM

There is no way that you could possibly know that.

For all you know, killing this person could make him a martyr. Spawning more like him and killing thousands more.

All I'm saying is that taking another persons life... is not something I could ever do.

blackmage_nuke
02-11-2014, 02:59 AM

For all you know, killing this person could make him a martyr. Spawning more like him and killing thousands more.

The thread said no consequences. This is a conseqeunce

Jessweeee♪
02-11-2014, 03:04 AM
im scared

Bubba
02-11-2014, 03:47 AM

The thread said no consequences. This is a conseqeunce

If you regard a consequence as 'feeling guilty' then that is fair enough.

If everyone felt this way then we wouldn't have a problem.

Pumpkin
02-11-2014, 03:53 AM
No. I don't not kill people I hate because I fear consequences, I don't kill people because I think it's wrong to kill people and I don't want to. I don't think I have the right to take anyone's life, and even if I did, I think it would be an awful thing to do.

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2014, 04:25 AM
ITT; ethical responses to semantic jokes.

KentaRawr!
02-11-2014, 04:29 AM
Like Quin said, the question pre-supposes that I want to kill the person. So, if I definitely wanted to kill them, and there were no repercussions, then I definitely would. To really explore the question I think you need to get rid of, or restate, the "want" part of it.

I don't think I'd ever be in a position where I, in every sense imaginable, would want to kill someone. I can't morally justify asserting my own existence and simultaneously deny someone else's. Even if I were to take a consequentialist view, in which killing one person will almost certainly benefit others, I think I would question that action for the rest of my life. Not knowing whether or not it was right would be a punishment on its own, at least in my mind.

Bubba
02-11-2014, 04:35 AM
I don't think I'd ever be in a position where I, in every sense imaginable, would want to kill someone. I can't morally justify asserting my own existence and simultaneously deny someone else's. Even if I were to take a consequentialist view, in which killing one person will almost certainly benefit others, I think I would question that action for the rest of my life. Not knowing whether or not it was right would be a punishment on its own, at least in my mind.

Excellently put.

But to sum up... you'd feel guilty.

Ayen
02-11-2014, 04:37 AM
God.

Last time I thought outside the box Firefly got axed.

KentaRawr!
02-11-2014, 04:42 AM

Excellently put.

Yes, definitely. I think it's important to look at why one would be guilty, too. In my case, it's because I can't say with certainty that I'm worth keeping alive and the other person isn't. And if I'm killing the person for other people's benefit, I can't say whether or not it's worth subverting one person's right to life to meet that goal, regardless of the numbers involved.

Bubba
02-11-2014, 04:55 AM

Excellently put.

Yes, definitely. I think it's important to look at why one would be guilty, too. In my case, it's because I can't say with certainty that I'm worth keeping alive and the other person isn't. And if I'm killing the person for other people's benefit, I can't say whether or not it's worth subverting one person's right to life to meet that goal, regardless of the numbers involved.

KentaRawr... you are definitely worth keeping alive. I've seen you post plenty of times and I regard you as a legend.

All I'm saying is that no-one can see the future. It's easy to say that killing someone (in hindsight) might save thousands of lives. It could equally have the opposite effect...lets say Hitler died in 1942... then Goering and Himmler formed a coalition and took over the whole of Europe. Now I'm speaking to you in German? We just don't know!

blackmage_nuke
02-11-2014, 05:28 AM
If you're the type of person to feel guilty after the fact what if you knew that after killing them you'd forget you did it and no one would even know it was you so you wouldnt have to deal with the consequence of guilt

All I'm saying is that no-one can see the future. It's easy to say that killing someone (in hindsight) might save thousands of lives. It could equally have the opposite effect...lets say Hitler died in 1942... then Goering and Himmler formed a coalition and took over the whole of Europe. Now I'm speaking to you in German? We just don't know!
again THAT is a consequence. You have been bestowed the knowledge of a five dimensional being that this will not happen. In this hypothetical you know something like this wont happen because there are NO consequences!

If it was my government that said there'd be no consequences obviously I wouldnt kill anyone (and not just because I dont trust my government), but no consequences AT ALL implies that God or the Time Vortex touched your mind and you know that if you kill this person only good will come of it.

Ergroilnin
02-11-2014, 05:33 AM
Wow wow wow guys, you are putting way too much thought behind this. My sort of thinking was more like "the person killed someone dear to me, I can kill him without any consequences, would I do it?" sort. Not psychotic one like "omg he called me names in elementary school, he's done!" way.

But either way keep going it's interesting to read :3

Botchmun
02-11-2014, 05:38 AM
God.

Last time I thought outside the box Firefly got axed.

Firefly was bull anyways.

Shlup
02-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Pfft, you're not fooling anyone, Botchmun. No one believes you don't like Firefly.

Fynn
02-11-2014, 06:32 AM
No. I would never, ever kill anyone, no matter how much pain they'd make me go through.

Now, torture, on the other hand... :plotting:

Ergroilnin
02-11-2014, 06:36 AM
No. I would never, ever kill anyone, no matter how much pain they'd make me go through.

Now, torture, on the other hand... :plotting:

Not sure what's sicker though.

Fynn
02-11-2014, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I know. It was a joke, though. I could never find it in me to do either, actually. Call me naïve, but I just think it's wrong.

blackmage_nuke
02-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Wow wow wow guys, you are putting way too much thought behind this. My sort of thinking was more like "the person killed someone dear to me, I can kill him without any consequences, would I do it?" sort. Not psychotic one like "omg he called me names in elementary school, he's done!" way.

But either way keep going it's interesting to read :3
Then no I wouldnt kill someone over a personal reason. Thats just silly.

Jiro
02-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Maybe. I'm pretty vengeful. Not a big fan of the killing business but it's one of those "don't push the big red button" things; I can't and therefore there's that sense of curiosity.

KentaRawr!
02-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Excellently put.

KentaRawr... you are definitely worth keeping alive. I've seen you post plenty of times and I regard you as a legend.

I didn't mean it in a self-disparaging way. What I mean is that there isn't a way I can say "I should live because I'm human and humans deserve to live!" and then say "Except that guy. He deserves to die" and still have a consistent philosophy.