PDA

View Full Version : "PSX load time is unplayable" Sorry folks, that's a bunch of crap.

Electroshock Therapy
02-09-2014, 10:16 PM
It really is. Of course, that's the one thing everyone loves to complain about. And it's down to the load times that I've read posts on here saying it's "unplayable."

Seriously, it really isn't. What strikes me as odd is that I've seen people then comment (but not complain) on how slow FF VII - IX is, and yet everyone loves those! What makes IV so different? I think the only reason people complain about it is that it's originally an SNES game, which takes no time at all to load or save. So people look at this game, think it's supposed to go super-fast, and then rage when it takes a little longer.

Actually, IV probably has better load times than those other Playstation games. You have a handy-dandy little tool called Memo-Save that probably takes as much time as the SNES. You only need to waste oh-so-much of your time loading the save file and executing a hard-save when you want to quit. So it's completely manageable to make it experience eve better.

I don't know why this complaint bugs me so much, but it does. It's the best version available if you want the original FF IV experience, and taking several seconds out of your life isn't going to kill anyone.

I've posting my opinion on this a couple times, but I decided to devote a thread to it.

EDIT: If my post sounds rude, my apologies. I wrote this in an awkward mood so I hope it didn't bleed through my writing.

Ayen
02-09-2014, 11:39 PM
I never understood the complaint either. I never played this on the PlayStation, but I think I've seen similar complaints in regards to VI which I did play and the load time was never a bother. I grew up with a PlayStation so I adapted to the load time pretty quickly.

VeloZer0
02-10-2014, 01:28 AM
I would rather play it on an SNES emulator to avoid the loading issues, however calling them game breaking reeks of hyperbole.

Jinx
02-10-2014, 01:33 AM
I've yet to see anyone here complain about the load times of FFIV, but I've seen them complain about the load times of FFIX loads (pun intended) of times.

Psychotic
02-10-2014, 07:27 AM
FFVI on the PSX has the absolute worst load times - far worse than IV.

Kalevala
02-10-2014, 07:41 AM
I remember Chrono Trigger's PSX load times being much worse. Any problem with FFIV paled in comparison.

Mirage
02-10-2014, 09:05 AM
FF6's loading times are annoying and because there's no significant additions in the PS1 version, there's no reason to not play a version without annoying load times.