PDA

View Full Version : 2DS

Pumpkin
02-11-2014, 07:57 AM
So 3DS's are expensive and 2DS's are less so and there are games I want for the 3DS. If I understand correctly, I can play 3DS games on the 2DS? Does this negatively effect the gaming quality or something? What are the disadvantages to buying the 2DS instead of the 3DS other than losing the 3D aspect, which I really didn't care about in the first place? Are there games that rely on the 3DS aspect that would be made less-so by purchasing the 2DS?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is a big investment, so I want to make sure of these things before we decide if we want to purchase one or not.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Aside from the 3D (which isn't essential for any game), the system also doesn't fold in half so you can fit it in your pocket like the original 3DS. If you don't care about the 3D and want to spend less money, the 2DS is probably worth getting. I've honestly never held and played a 2DS to know if it is less comfortable to hold or anything though.

Fynn
02-11-2014, 08:29 AM
I heard it's actually surprisingly comfortable. But yeah, it doesn't fold and doesn't have 3D and that is pretty much the only thing that makes it different from the 3DS. The screens are smaller than those of the 3DS XL, but they're the same as with a regular 3DS. Considering money is the issue, I'm guessing the 3DS XL is out of the question anyway. While I would recommend the XL to anyone with enough money, the 2DS is a great alternative if you have less of it and don't care about the 3D.

I'd say, go for it! Get a 2DS, The system now has quite a large library of great games and whether you play them in 2D or 3D, they're really worth it. Just make sure you get a good protective case. I worry those screens might get scratched easily with no clamshell design.

Mirage
02-11-2014, 09:37 AM
The 3D i can do without (because it sucks lol), but not being able to fold it is bad for me. Folding it easily protects the screens from damage and scratches, and makes it all smaller. That's important for me.

Also, I don't know about where you live, but where I live, the 3DS is just like 30 bucks more than the 2DS. Just save up your money for another week and get a 3DS, I'd say.

Bolivar
02-11-2014, 02:26 PM
There were a few segments in Mario 3D Land that used 3D for optical illusions, Escher-esque puzzles but they were few and far between. Safe to say few if any games require it for completion.

Just checked on Amazon and it is a lot cheaper than the plain 3DSes so if you want one I'd say go for it shion, it's a really wonderful platform.

Agent Proto
02-11-2014, 02:39 PM
The 2DS is a 3DS, only renamed because of it lacks the ability to play 3D. I hear it's quite comfortable and fairly sturdy, so it's definitely worth getting if you want a cheap alternative to the 3DS. Unless you find a used 3DS that's fairly cheap, a 2DS should be a must-buy for those on the budget.

Shaibana
02-11-2014, 03:46 PM
i have a 2ds, pretty much for the same reasons.
its cheaper and i cant really care much for the 3D.

the 2ds is comfi in the hands.

i first had doubts about the screen size (after seeing a 3ds-XL) but the screens are big enough

Del Murder
02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
I wish there was a "mama bear" 3DS. Normal 3DS is too small and XL is too big. 2DS is a good size but it doesn't fold. The folding aspect is one of the best things about the DS hardware design.

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2014, 04:39 PM
I would own a handheld console if the 2DS was foldable for that very reason. It's supremely comfortable in my hands, whereas the 3DS and XL didn't sit right in my palms. But I'm just not willing to compromise on the folding front, Nintendo.

I love folding things. :(

Skyblade
02-11-2014, 05:11 PM
The 3D i can do without (because it sucks lol), but not being able to fold it is bad for me. Folding it easily protects the screens from damage and scratches, and makes it all smaller. That's important for me.

Also, I don't know about where you live, but where I live, the 3DS is just like 30 bucks more than the 2DS. Just save up your money for another week and get a 3DS, I'd say.

Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and Bravely Default. All three of those games look stunning in 3D. The 3D effect really works well. Whether it be cutscenes or gameplay, I adore the 3D for those titles. I can do without it, certainly, but it doesn't suck on every game.

And, yeah, the base model 3DS shouldn't be that much more expensive.

Pumpkin
02-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Well, $30 may not be much for you guys, but that can afford one of the games I want :P. We will check the budget and see how bad the extra $30 would be. The next few months are going to be pretty harsh, though, because this month is Valentine's Day and sharky's dad's birthday, next month is my and my son's birthday, and then in April we probably have a big road trip to plan and pay for.

I had saw that the price was a good bit more expensive than just an extra $30, but it could be I was noticing the bigger 3DS or something and was just mistaken. The not folding is probably the most concerning for me.

Skyblade
02-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Well, $30 may not be much for you guys, but that can afford one of the games I want :P. We will check the budget and see how bad the extra $30 would be. The next few months are going to be pretty harsh, though, because this month is Valentine's Day and sharky's dad's birthday, next month is my and my son's birthday, and then in April we probably have a big road trip to plan and pay for.

I had saw that the price was a good bit more expensive than just an extra $30, but it could be I was noticing the bigger 3DS or something and was just mistaken. The not folding is probably the most concerning for me.

If you're worried about Valentine's Day, don't. The point of Valentine's Day is to have a romantic day with someone special. If you are doing it out of a sense of obligation, then you are doing it wrong. Don't feel that you have to get flowers, or take someone out for dinner, or anything else. Do something that makes you both comfortable and happy. If money is tight, don't spend a lot. You can still have a fantastic, romantic day.

The not folding is pretty huge. Also, I personally dislike the button placement (though I haven't actually tried it). After having a DS and 3DS for so long, having the buttons move up to be around the top screen seems weird.

Shaibana
02-11-2014, 05:40 PM
i suggest you spend Valentines day with a big bucket of ice to share, and watching a (romantic) movie together :3

a great way to keep it (very) cheap, and it can still be very romantic

Fynn
02-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Ice...?

Pumpkin
02-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Can we not derail this in to talking about my Valentine's Day plans please x)

I Took the Red Pill
02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
3DS owners: I understand there's a switch to turn off the 3D mode on the thing. Do you always play with the 3D on? I've only held a 3DS once, in a store demo display, and the 3D was pretty neat, but I got the feeling it would give me a headache after staring at it for too long. Thoughts / experiences?

Scotty_ffgamer
02-11-2014, 07:25 PM
I always play with the 3D off just because I generally have trouble getting right on the sweet spot, and when I do find it I lose it quickly because of moving or something. I don't get a headache from it or anything and it looks great, but it's just annoying trying to hold the thing in one spot all the time.

Fynn
02-11-2014, 07:27 PM
I always play in full 3D. No headaches, but if I play for four hours or more in a row, I get just a teensy bit woozy in the evening, as if I was riding a really fast elevator.

Dr Unne
02-11-2014, 07:34 PM
I always play with the 3D off just because I generally have trouble getting right on the sweet spot, and when I do find it I lose it quickly because of moving or something. I don't get a headache from it or anything and it looks great, but it's just annoying trying to hold the thing in one spot all the time.

I agree. If you have the 3DS it on a desk or something so it's perfectly immobile, you can maybe get away with it. If you hold the DS in your hands, it moves way too much, even on the lowest 3D setting.

When I get a new game I check it out in 3D for a while, ooh and aah a bit, until I get annoyed to death or my eyes start to bleed, then I turn it off. Usually takes 5-10 minutes.

I haven't found a game that looks THAT much better in 3D yet. Link's Awakening maaaaybe? Maybe not even that, I think I played it mostly in 2D too. Some games look incredibly bad in 3D thanks to jagged textures. Some games don't even use 3D except to make the text float a little above the background.

Bolivar
02-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Some games are great with 3D on full blast, others I leave it on just a crack but I rarely turn it off.

Pumpkin
02-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Was just talking to Fynn about games I want and came to this conclusion:

Oh yes, the new Pokemon too!

So far my pitch is turning in to:

Me: "Joe Bryan, I would really like a 3DS, or the cheaper 2DS. It costs about $130. You can see here in the budget I have made up that we can, in fact, afford it if we eat out slightly less and move this fund from here to here."
Him: 'Yeah, that doesn't seem so bad."
Me: "Okay, great. Also, we need about another $130 because I have expensive taste in games."
Him: "o.o"
Me: "o.o"

Fynn
02-11-2014, 08:00 PM
People, we need to help this girl! Let's write a petition to Sharky!

Del Murder
02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
I use the 3D feature when I am in a stationary spot (other than on a bus or train) and the game benefits from the 3D. Mario 3D Land and Kingdom Hearts 3D are two games I thought did the 3D really well, but it's hardly necessary. For Pokemom it was just pointless. Fire Emblem actually looks pretty in 3D but the combat is based on a 2D grid so keeping it on was disorienting. I only turn it on for cutscenes.

My eyes or head never hurts from using 3D but it does get annoying that you have to keep your 3DS at a fixed focal point for it to work, so I keep it off most of the time.

Bolivar
02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
I hereby summon sharky to this thread so we may discuss shion's 3ds and also the bucket of ice situation.

Del Murder
02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Guys, she requested we not talk about this and it's really far off topic so let's cut it out.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-11-2014, 08:14 PM
The bucket of ice is for my wallet. :p

Seriously, I'd rather she have the 3D option, and just turn it off when she doesn't need it.

Vyk
02-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Try pawn shops, or ebay, or see what used prices are on Amazon. Or get a refurb. from Nintendo's shop. My girlfriend got ours from her friend. It's a standard 3DS, and I tend to enjoy the 3D function a lot. It's what's keeping me from getting a 2DS. Though I fear getting claw-hand from even an XL, as I've heard the 2DS is actually the most comfortable, because the buttons aren't all cramped together at the bottom like they are on the foldable 3DSes. The 3D isn't necessary, but it's definitely nice to have the option

Endless
02-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Try pawn shops, or ebay, or see what used prices are on Amazon. Or get a refurb. from Nintendo's shop.

This. Bought mine used from classifieds from a lady in a city 20 mins away, it was in near perfect state, complete with all the accessories, box, manuals, and even the Nintendo points were unused, all for €100 instead of €169 new.

Re: using 3D, I almost always have it off to save battery life.

Mirage
02-12-2014, 01:44 AM
The few times i've used a 3DS, i've turned it off because the 3D flips around for a bit of you don'y keep it at a very precise angle relative to your eyes. I also don't feel that it is all that special. This sort of 3D has just never really impressed me much. Call me back when you have head-tracking perspective 3D.

Sort of related, the three hours overtime I did today earned me about what a 3DS costs so maybe I should buy one right now ;o

NorthernChaosGod
02-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't what you guys are doing, but if I'm just laying on my bed or sitting down at my desk the 3D doesn't move around enough to become blurry. I've even used in the car and it was fine.

I'd say go for the 3DS as you have the option to use the 3D (and it's actually great on the new Zelda), and you can fold it.

Also, the 3DS XL totally sits comfortable in my hands and fits into my back pocket in all my jeans. Are you guys midgets?

Del Murder
02-12-2014, 09:19 PM
So you sit on it?

Ayen
02-13-2014, 12:15 AM
If money is really an issue you could always look for a used one of either. I saw a used 3DS going for only ninety bucks and a used 2DS that was ten bucks less. You're taking a risk depending on the conditioning of the product and how honest the seller is, but if you really care about saving money it could be a good investment and you can always return it. I got some good deals on used games when it came to Ninja Gaiden and Eternal Darkness.

My question is is the 3D worth the extra money?

Mirage
02-13-2014, 01:32 AM
If you look for highly rated sellers, you're usually going to be all right. Gamestop or whatever you have near you might also sell used handhelds, and there you can see the condition of the item before buying it.

The 3D isn't worth the extra money for me, but the folding functionality definitely is.

NorthernChaosGod
02-13-2014, 07:21 AM
So you sit on it?

I take it out before I sit down. o_O

Mercen-X
02-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Gee, $20 bucks difference. I'm whelmed.

Vyk
02-14-2014, 04:56 PM
The biggest factors for me was deciding about comfort and price, over screen size and 3D functionality. (Folding didn't bother me so much since I never carried the regular 3DS [or even original DS] around in my pocket). A new 2DS was going to be $130. The thing that snagged me up was that Nintendo was selling refurbed 3DS XL's on their site for 150. I was just really waiting for my tax return to see where I stood. Once I got it, I decided to risk getting the XL from Nintendo (despite people saying that they still get claw-hand from it and that the 2DS is by far the most comfortable). Hate to be a pirate and all, but Nintendo tried to charge me tax on an online order. Legit, but I don't have to deal with that from other places. And with shipping it was going to be $170 >.> So without even considering the 2DS anymore, I went to Amazon and found someone selling it new for 170. So that's what I did. Since I can't get my girlfriend to let go of the one we're borrowing from her friend. I finally acquired my own. And she's so pre-occupied with the Rune Factory 4 I got her, she won't be jealous of all the time I'll be spending with Bravely Default, muahaha... (Yay income tax returns?)

Pumpkin
02-14-2014, 07:35 PM
So by a sweet and pleasant surprise, I ended up getting one of these today :love:. I tried out the 2DS and the 3DS in the store and I liked them both, they both worked fine. The 3DS was $170 and there was a refurbished 2DS for $120. I liked the 3DS a little bit more, but not $50 more. So with that extra $50, I got to get a second game instead!

Dat Matt
02-16-2014, 12:53 AM
I like the Idea of the 2DS, but it's not for me. I have freakish man hands so they aren't the right size to fit me. 2DS XL maybe.

Vyk
02-16-2014, 03:47 AM
So by a sweet and pleasant surprise, I ended up getting one of these today :love:. I tried out the 2DS and the 3DS in the store and I liked them both, they both worked fine. The 3DS was $170 and there was a refurbished 2DS for $120. I liked the 3DS a little bit more, but not $50 more. So with that extra $50, I got to get a second game instead!
What games? :3

Pumpkin
02-16-2014, 03:50 AM
I was planning to get Bravely Default, because it was the most recommended, but there were only 2 copies of Fire Emblem: Awakening between two stores, so I got that one since there was a large number of the others available, and then I got Pokemon X because it's more lighthearted, instead of getting two heavier games right off the bat.

Next I plan to get Bravely Default, then Zelda, then I want to try the Scribblenauts game.

Dat Matt
02-16-2014, 11:14 AM
I tend to but 90% of my games online. They are rarely cheaper in store than from amazon and others.

Skyblade
02-16-2014, 01:19 PM
I tend to but 90% of my games online. They are rarely cheaper in store than from amazon and others.

I've certainly found cases where the opposite is true. If you are looking for an older game or a niche title with a limited production run, the online prices can tend to remain steady (or even climb if it's only available via ebay or third-party sellers), while if you can manage to find the same title in-store (sometimes a big "if"), the price will probably have dropped considerably, especially if you know a good used game trader, or a GameStop which has a good selection of older or used titles (and I have both in my town). This is less true than it used to be, as the greater general availability of games (via downloads, etcetera) has helped stabilized the market some, but it does definitely still affect some of the games I usually hunt for.

Plus, I loathe and despise Amazon on both a personal and a professional level. I find their business practices despicable, and they are one of the primary competitors to my own store.

Fortunately, the only top-notch 3DS title that is difficult to find at all is Rune Factory 4, and I find that it's actually a lot easier to get now than it was at launch.

Dat Matt
02-16-2014, 03:39 PM
New Games for me a usually cheaper online for example The Wind Waker HD was £49.99 at my local game retailer, but was £32 online (think it was amazon). That to me is a no brainier to which one I'll get. More obscure titles and such I still buy local. We picked up Disgea D2 for £30 from a local game store which mirrors the price online. Finds like this are often hard to come buy though, especially now we own practically every game in existence.

Vyk
02-16-2014, 09:45 PM
I just bought Infinite Space from the English UK Amazon marketplace from a private seller, and beat the American prices by about $40, and nobody was underhandedly robbed via Amazon corporate monopoly. Yay