PDA

View Full Version : [LR] EoFF Plays LR:FFXIII - Wildlands Storyline Complete? Discuss it here!

Loony BoB
02-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Post about the main Wildlands storyline in this thread. :) IMPORTANT: There are two "main souls" that can be saved in this land. Please be aware that BOTH can be freely discussed in this thread. If you are only aware of one of these "main souls", it is suggested you avoid this thread if you want to avoid spoilers about the other one.

##SPOILER WARNING##
This thread contains unmarked spoilers regarding the Wildlands storyline. Read at your own risk! Spoilers not related to the Wildlands storyline will still need to be marked. For information on spoilers and how to use them, please see this thread. (http://home.eyesonff.com/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/154642-dont-spoil-game-others-use-spoiler-tags-please-read-before-posting.html#post3374273)

Scotty_ffgamer
02-19-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm curious to see how anyone who finished the first main Wildlands quest feels about the story that played out. I thought how Caius and Yeul were portrayed was kind of interesting, but it just felt kind of hollow for some reason. I don't really know how to explain. The explanation of Yeul being the reason for the Chaos in the world seemed kind of weird. It is interesting how Caius' plan from XIII-2 is revealed to not quite have worked out the way he planned. We get to see regret with Caius to some extent, continuing to build on the notion of him being a pretty sympathetic villain in a lot of ways despite being the cause of the destruction of the world. I still feel the writing felt off in this section, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Sephiroth
02-19-2014, 09:48 PM
The problem is that there some plotholes are created as Caius says two completely different things in Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns and in Lightning Returns actually both is mentioned in a way it cannot be as the definitions are paradox together and not the way Caius means but a "meta-paradox" as I would call it (Caius said Yeul always has a new consciousness and personality but one soul which is obvious her soul reborn but builds a new person but he also says she has different souls and that is not true except you would use the word "soul" for just the personality itself and not the basis of existence, multiple souls can also co-exist if you count that they are all from different times but that would lack the explanation and as he is talking about really the different feelings he does not mean "the same kind of soul of different timelines = different as they are multiple" but actually must mean the personality, so it is tricky - the general meaning of things could not work together, however and not in a "this causes the Chaos" way but in a "it does not happen" way as every Yeul counts as a new individual person even with reborn memories as she has her own consciousness - generally I would have thought of it as better if Yeul really just had one consciousness and so really is always just one and the same individual person that is reborn such as Sephiroth, in a way it does happen but not exactly other than for certain characters in the story, the very essence of chaos is simply the different feelings of the Yeuls but that "soul" explanation should have been with the right words, not contradictory and by either using a different expanation in the frst place or the one from Final Fantasy XIII-2). Just leaving the Final Fantasy XIII speech and the elements that appeared in Lightning Returns as well and not adding that other aspect would have been fine. If you take the basis of the soul as something to be formed then of course you can say she always has the same soul but in a different form as the soul is always formed as new person but then it would still miss the explanation - this or the first mentioned thing in the brackets would make the most sense and in a way it would be the same, everything missing is an actual explanation but "soul" and "consciousness" and "heart" talk is difficult as not everyone thinks about the same traits, still normally the most relevant should be the same for most and so it is a bit contradictory, I can accept it but an actual explanation which would not be so paradox with normal meaning showing how it is meant with the very essence of those words in this situation would be better. Final Fantasy V, VII, VIII and X as well as Chrono Trigger are also full of plot holes, it is okay, nothing big.

Loony BoB
02-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Don't forget, as mentioned in the big bold text at the start of this thread: This thread contains unmarked spoilers regarding the Wildlands storyline. In other words, you don't need to mark spoiler tags on anything related to the Wildlands storyline.

Caius was a butt of a boss, easily the hardest of those in the main storylines. I had to go deal with othe storylines and get back to him - I think I got him to 10% health on my best shot on my first set of attempts. Later, after finishing all other main storylines and much of the rest of the quests, I found Caius a lot easier.

As for the plot, I didn't pay too much attention to it. Having a paradox or two in Caius' story is not a shocker. ;)

Sephiroth
02-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Having a paradox or two in Caius' story is not a shocker. ;)

I was talking about an actual paradox, such as a plothole, of course. But maybe you meant that as well and were joking.

With some Break states also Caius will bow to Lightning.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-20-2014, 04:58 PM
I still felt weird having an unmarked spoiler since I was talking about the very end of the story quest, haha. Caius was a pain of a boss unless you take the cheap way out of beating him (Artemis Arrows and just overclock multiple times in a row until he is dead). I liked that though. I think he may be my favorite main story boss in the whole game.

Edit: Discussing the other side of the Wildlands, it kind of bothers me how Sazh was handled. It bothers me that all the XIII team seems to be able to do with his character is make Dajh disappear in some form or another. Sazh gets his brief happy ending in the other games only to immediately have Dajh meet some unfortunate fate almost immediately.

Psychotic
02-25-2014, 07:29 AM
I wasn't sure whether beating Caius or helping Sazh counted as beating the Wildlands, especially as I got the completed message after both.

I love the Wildlands as a setting. All the little villages and settlements on one map is such a neat idea for an FF game, and of course who can hate a Moogle village!

I liked the main quest for the most part too, healing the white chocobo and then the sense of accomplishment felt when flying about on him was a good bit if pacing. The temple was okay, very interesting design but I will come out and say it, Yeul has the worst voice and I want to punch her in the throat! Caius by comparison has a fantastic voice acting... though the way he looks is awful.

I didn't quite understand the message from the Caius and yeul storyline. Was not handled well. The boss battle was something else! He utterly wrecked me the first time and I went off to do a load of side quests. It served as a huge motivation for me - oh, I gained two more points of strength, I'll be hitting Caius a bit harder with those! So good job on that, to make me feel such things.

Finally, I agree completely with Scotty about Sazh. Same old story and a boring series of fetch quests. I appreciate there are a lot of fetch quests in this game but if you compare this one (win in the fucking battle arena again ugh) to the healing the Angel quest where you have a lot more freedom in how to achieve your goal you can hopefully see the point I'm making.

Sephiroth
02-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Caius by comparison has a fantastic voice acting...

Yes, Caius is one of my favourite voice actors, so Liam O' Brien, when it comes to English voices.