PDA

View Full Version : Develop your own game

Ayen
02-13-2014, 01:06 AM
I know I can't be the only one that thought of it. If you had the time, resources and the ability what kind of games would you make and sell to the general public?

The first game I ever thought about making was a police game called Law Enforcement. You'd make your own character and start out as a cadet working your way through the ranks from there. The open-world would allow you to do everything from speeding tickets, high speed chases, drug busts, shootouts to going under cover to put bigger criminals behind bars. You can be a good cop that does their job to the fullest or a dirty cops who accept bribes and taser people for trouts and giggles. I even made this cover for it:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/LawEnforcementCovercopy.png

I'd also put in an Easter egg that plays the Blues Brothers song in your police car during a chase scene.

Discuss.

Bolivar
02-13-2014, 02:07 AM
I would love to see a kind of strategy hybrid of the tactical RPG gameplay of Final Fantasy Tactics with the procedurally generated intrigue and conquest of Crusader Kings.

The territories and playable dynasties would be randomized at the beginning so each playthrough is different and your long-term goals could be anything within the realm of medieval politics. So one campaign you could play as a minor noble trying to unify an ethnic group of states to carve out their own kingdom while another campaign you could play as a disenchanted monarch attempting to quell the rebellion of a religious minority. Along the way you would be presented with random obstacles and choices which could be overcome by a myriad of diplomatic and military solutions. The combat would all come down to the tactical grid and the different dynasties/religions/ethnicities would have their own unique units to recruit, customize, and deploy. At the same time, the AI of the rest of the dynasties would be trying to achieve their own goals which could at times conflict with your objectives directly or even provide an opportunity for manipulation. Your objectives would adapt and evolve over the course of the game, with your true opponents being revealed after achieving some of your goals or the consequences of one conflict sowing the seeds of another.

Add in an online component and that would be a game I could see myself spending thousands of hours playing :D

Pumpkin
02-13-2014, 02:46 AM
I'd make a turn-based RPG with battle style similar to X-2, but pre-assigned job classes like IX. The story would be based off of the story I'm currently writing. I would also have "missions" that you can accept for extra money and points, similar to FFTA and FFTA2. I would let the player pick between the 8 protagonists who's story they wanted to follow, but I would let them switch between active members in the party which one appears on screen, and have NPC's react differently to different characters.I would also let players teleport to locations they've been previously. Probably also have combo attacks.

The ability system would probably also be similar to X-2 where you choose which ability to learn and it unlocks new abilities. I would probably also let players transfer abilities from one character to another, and it would have a grade next to it. Like transfer ability A to character 2 will rank a C, which would affect the effectiveness of the ability when used by that character. I would also have an skill system close to Suikoden III where you can use point to boost up each characters stats, which would affect how much they go up during level up.

I think I would have a party of 4 in each battle, and allow them to switch out during the battle. The world would kind of be like XII but with more towns and cities in between instead of just area after area of battles. But it would be free to explore anytime.

I would also implement a character relation system between protagonists and secondary characters. For the 8 playable characters, they will have interactions that will boost their affection points. Things that would also influence it: People in battle parties together, healing each other (or attacking to lower points), choosing them to dispatch on missions together or to bring with you on missions, who you speak to the most during events, etc. It would influence scenes, how effective the magic they use on each other is, and combo attacks. For secondary characters, how you respond to them would affect their affection, which would unlock new missions, or allow them to help you in certain situations, or they could give you presents or things.

Mercen-X
02-13-2014, 08:35 PM
I know I can't be the only one that thought of it. If you had the time, resources and the ability what kind of games would you make and sell to the general public?

The first game I ever thought about making was a police game called Law Enforcement. You'd make your own character and start out as a cadet working your way through the ranks from there. The open-world would allow you to do everything from speeding tickets, high speed chases, drug busts, shootouts to going under cover to put bigger criminals behind bars. You can be a good cop that does their job to the fullest or a dirty cops who accept bribes and taser people for trouts and giggles. I even made this cover for it:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/LawEnforcementCovercopy.png

I'd also put in an Easter egg that plays the Blues Brothers song in your police car during a chase scene.

Discuss.
One of my earliest ideas was similar. It was inspired by Streets of LA and GTA. A sandlot game with far too many mini-games that let you be either a criminal, a regular joe, or a cop. I called it American Currency and the experience included necessities as detailed and integrated as dressing properly, preparing and eating food (unless you go to fastfood/restaurants/buffets), exercising (all aspects inspired by San Andreas) and obtaining work, shelter, and transportation. There would be opportunities for employment everywhere: honest work, seedy work, and general favors. There would even be a prison life wherein the prison would behave much like its own city which you are unable to leave without being labeled a Fugitive (though with the right connections or trades, you could change your identity).

As I imagined this as a pure sandlot game, it never occurred to me that it might want a story. I figure your character's lifespan is the story, you keep playing until your PC dies, either by design, accident, or old age. Unlike GTA wherein you can't die (so part of the fun is to see how many different ways you can kill yourself like in Groundhog's Day), AC only allows your character to live through physical traumas on a slim luck factor, requiring you to play carefully or skillfully. Kamikazeing in an airplane would have no survival rate... so don't do that.

I've also already mentioned in these forums about four hundred times my idea for a Battlefront version of Final Fantasy. We were never given the full experience of full-scale war although we've glimpsed it plenty enough (foremost in my mind, Balamb versus Galbadia). Herein you would be allowed to play not only as any character from the series, but any grunt or monsters of a given army. Depending on the era of the campaign, you could play as different versions of characters from their past or future (as available in canon). My first example being VII naturally, you could play as Zack, Cissnei, Sephiroth, Genesis, Angeal or any of the available ShinRa classes (various MP classes + SOLDIER 3rd-1st) versus Godo Kisaragi, Shake, Staniv, Gorki, Chekhov or any Wutai classes during the Wutai campaign. You could play as "Ex-SOLDIER" Cloud and every member of AVALANCHE including Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie (and perhaps other "friends", i.e. Johnny, Dio, Big Bro) versus ShinRa, the Turks, and Sephiroth (and his clones) during the Promised Land campaign. Then later could play as the series mainstays and the WRO versus Kadaj, Yazoo, Loz and the DGS during the Rebuild campaign. Of course, the Turks versus AVALANCHE and the Ravens during the Before Crisis campaign. and of course, that's all just for one part of the game. In the Final Fantasy II battles, you could play as Leon during one era and the Dark Knight during a later era. Perhaps the most exciting part about being able to play army to army is that any vehicles used in the games would be at your fingertips. Magitek armor, Chocobos, Buggies, Cloud's Fenrir and Daytona, airplanes, airships, boats, submarines, sleds, etc.

A game that I'd really like to make though is simply one that promotes this story I'm writing. I came up with a format for the game a long time ago. The gameplay shifts styles multiple times, from chases, to stealth, to one-on-one combat. There's a part early on in which you must sneak through a fortress before being forced to battle in the dark against an opponent with night-vision. Later, you steal a car and chase down your next opponent who then traps you in a virtual world that plays like an RPG. Then there's the battle in the sky on a series of floating rocks you must be careful not to fall off. There's also a character who uses the flora of an entire forest as a weapon.

radicaledward124
02-13-2014, 09:46 PM
I actually will get to make the game i want to at some point in my life. I'm nearing the end of my time in school and in sept I will be graduating with a game art degree, I'm going to with a friend roll that into a studio later on. the game i want to make is an open world rpg. It's a little radical but I this idea where you play as a Teddy Bear or other stuffed animal and you have to go through training to protect your kid from the monsters under the bed. The game is the room and the training world, well that's what i have worked out so far. Most likely a turn bases battle system cause i like those. But right now it's till a dream

black orb
03-04-2014, 05:42 PM
>>> Something like Xenoblade, with a FF feel..:luca:

Depression Moon
03-05-2014, 02:33 AM
I want to specialize in making RPGs, most of them being in an urban fantasy setting and I also want to dabble into fighting games as well. That's all I can tell you though. I want you to be surprised when they come out.