PDA

View Full Version : Code Geass

Mercen-X
02-13-2014, 08:16 AM
I love this series. Combining the giant robot international-scale (and sometimes beyond) wars of Gundam with the knife-twistingly painful process of watching the series "protagonist" make decisions that either directly or indirectly devastate or end innocent lives (from outright murder to the destruction of property that happens to contain innocent people) which one could easily find watching Death Note. Of course, there's the added bonus that while deceitful, conniving, and more than a little self-serving, Lelouch is repentant and remorseful of his sins, a trait he does not have in common with Death Note "protagonist" Light Yagami. Were the two to duel one another, I would root for Lelouch.

I can't get enough of this series despite the fact the lengthy saga has come to a satisfying end at least in the anime in my opinion. I haven't read the manga. But I would read the Nightmare of Nunnally if I could find it. I used mangafox to read the entire Psyren series, but Nightmare of Nunally is licensed thus it is unavailable. But the concept of the series is so intriguing, I hope and pray it'll become an anime of its own.

Jiro
02-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Code Geass is in my top 5. I love the political machinations. I love the mechs. I love the antihero. And I fucking love the ending, despite how heart wrenching it is.

Tasura
02-13-2014, 10:24 AM
There's still more for you to watch besides the 2 series. There are 6 Specials (ranging from 1-9 eps), 4 OVAs (ranging from 1-5 eps[the later is untranslated]) and 4 movies (2 of which have not yet been released).

And licensed or not, Nightmare of Nunnally is on MF.

Ergroilnin
02-13-2014, 09:39 PM
I absolutely love Death Note. I ABSOLUTELY HATE mechas. Code Geass is somewhere between. On my pride as an otaku I know I should watch it. I have to watch it. But how do I force myself so I enjoy it?

Karifean
02-13-2014, 09:59 PM
I like Code Geass more than Death Note. Though that's probably mainly due to the ending and because the main character was pretty much always in the moral grey area as opposed to Kira who was pretty damn black.

And the ending... It's no Steins;Gate or Little Busters! but it's still one of the best endings I've seen yet. It's what cemented the series as a classic in my mind.

It's not in my Top 5 Anime though. It comes in at #6. Bummer. In case anyone is interested, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Elfen Lied, Little Busters!, Steins;Gate and finally Clannad.

Mercen-X
02-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I ABSOLUTELY HATE mechas.

I don't actually watch many myself. I've never been a big fan of Gundam (I know I mentioned it, but it just seemed to be the most recognizable mecha series). I like the idea of giant robots though. I don't know what I want from a giant mech show really, but Code Geass sure gave me something. My favorite mech/character is the Lancelot (and all of its iterations) piloted by Suzaku.

Mo-Nercy
02-14-2014, 03:05 PM
My favourite anime. It's just got everything. Evil plots, political backstabbing, great characters, magical powers, mechas, ever-so-many twists with an awesome ending to boot.

krissy
02-19-2014, 04:38 AM
great anime
shame about those singles though ;)

Mercen-X
04-15-2014, 03:46 AM
I'm working on an adaptation of Man In The Iron Mask that would play out similarly to Geass insomuch that upon the liberation of King Louis' brother, he willingly becomes the face of the rebellion. D'Artagnan pretty much plays the role of Suzaku although in this case, he only briefly meets Phillipe while he is impersonating the king.