PDA

View Full Version : Snow, snow, go away, and don't come back another day! (EXTREMELY brutal winter)

SuperMillionaire
02-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Man, this winter that we're having in the U.S. has been EXTREMELY brutal! We've had extremely cold record-low temperatures, akin to what we'd find in Alaska and the Arctic regions of Canada, and we've been pounded by snowstorm after snowstorm! And because the temperatures are so cold, instead of the snow melting by the next day, it freezes into very slippery ice! I even fell on the ice last week, twisting my ankle and hurting my arm!

The groundhog predicted six more weeks of winter, and he was extremely right! Ever since my spring semester in college began, we were snowed out at least once per week!

I am really sick and tired of this winter! Snow, snow, go away, and don't come back another day!

Freya
02-14-2014, 05:20 PM
Gimme my snow back. I don't want to go to work. If we get a bunch this whole town shuts down. But it moved out of her and dumped on the east. I don't wanna wooorrk.

Vyk
02-14-2014, 05:20 PM
I do like snow. But everyone hates me for it

Crop
02-14-2014, 05:27 PM
At least you're not drowning like us Brits!

Vermachtnis
02-14-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm iffy on the snow. I mean on the one hand, I love snow. It's pretty and fun to watch and throw at people and it gets me out of work. But on the other hand, it gets me out of work and I need money to buy stuff. Also it gets ugly when people with comically oversized trucks drive in it.

escobert
02-14-2014, 05:47 PM
zomg it's winter and it's snowing!

I know I know a lot of places that don't normally get snow got it. Welcome to winter for the rest of us every year.

Ayen
02-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Never did like winter.

I'm ready for spring now.

Mirage
02-14-2014, 08:42 PM
By extreme, you mean normal, right?

Bubba
02-15-2014, 12:55 PM
According to Wikipedia, "Snow is precipitation in the form of flakes of crystalline water ice that falls from clouds."

Snow facts:

- The average snowflake has a top speed of 1.7 metres per second
- Chionophobia is the fear of snow
- 12% of the Earth's surface is constantly covered in snow and ice
- The largest snowflake on record was observed in Montana, USA in 1887 and was around the size of a large milk pan
- It has been stated that Eskimos have over 100 words for snow... this is total bollocks.

Slothy
02-15-2014, 06:45 PM
I even fell on the ice last week, twisting my ankle and hurting my arm!

People actually fall on ice? What are they teaching you Americans in school these days?

Quindiana Jones
02-15-2014, 07:10 PM
The south west of England is basically underwater.

Sephex
02-15-2014, 07:25 PM
The Chicagoland area has been hit extremely hard this winter. I am annoyed with everyone around here because last year everyone was complaining that we don't have good old fashioned Chicago winters anymore (and apparently it was forgotten that we had a HUGE snow storm in 2011). Well, instead of a huge snowstorm, we have had temperatures worse than the coldest parts of Canada and Alaska, and instead of the usual one and done snow storm, it has been deciding to drop several inches every few days. I hope everyone is happy.

Shaibana
02-15-2014, 09:58 PM
a legend says that there was once a winter with snow in holland!

its been around 10 degrees celcius the whole freaking winter :colbert:

Ayen
02-15-2014, 10:40 PM
I even fell on the ice last week, twisting my ankle and hurting my arm!

People actually fall on ice? What are they teaching you Americans in school these days?

They teach us that Canadians can survive for many months on nothing but maple syrup and that you guys live in igloos and end all your sentences with 'eh' which replaces 'over' in radio transmissions. And when nuclear winter comes as a result of WWIII (which will conveniently be Russia's fault and not the US) you will be one of the last civilizations left alive on Earth because of your built-in resistance to cold temperatures.

Okay, I'm making this up, public schools wouldn't be this clever 8D

Slothy
02-15-2014, 10:49 PM
For someone who was making stuff up, that was eerily accurate.

Seriously though, I haven't slipped on ice in 6 or 7 years despite walking on it all of the time, often on ground with a slope. It's a skill. And I don't think I've ever been hurt falling on ice except the one time I landed on a giant rock sticking out of it but I only bruised my arm. People need to learn how to fall safely.

Ayen
02-15-2014, 10:53 PM
I don't know about other Americans, but I was taught to avoid walking on ice, not how to walk on ice. That's probably why I fall.

Slothy
02-15-2014, 11:02 PM
That would explain it. It's not optional here.

Mirage
02-15-2014, 11:03 PM
It's not that we learn specifically how to walk on ice, but that those who didn't figure it out died before being able to procreate.

Carl the Llama
02-16-2014, 05:44 AM
At least you're not drowning like us Brits!

TBH I am glad it isn't snowing here, snow makes the roads sooo dangerous, driving in the rain is pretty easy.

Jowy
02-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Today was the first day all week that I had to leave the house with a coat on.

escobert
02-16-2014, 01:51 PM
No all Americans live in Florida :mad2: some of us live very close to Canada and therefore have the same weather as them! and snow make driving fun. Learn how to drive without hitting your brakes eery 5 seconds!

Shiny
02-16-2014, 06:45 PM
False, the snow needs to stay. MOAR MOAR

ffff uuuuu

and anyone else who wishes the snow to stay or come

Snow needs to go and the cold plz kthanx.

maybee
02-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Can you guys like give the snow to us New Zealanders and Aussies ? We're like melting over here, we would adore some soft, sweet, cold, frozen, icy, lovely, beautiful, cold snow....

hm, winter sounds so good right now...

sweet, sweet winter...

Ayen
02-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Can you guys like give the snow to us New Zealanders and Aussies ? We're like melting over here, we would adore some soft, sweet, cold, frozen, icy, lovely, beautiful, cold snow....

sweet, sweet winter...

*buries maybee in snow*

maybee
02-18-2014, 09:17 AM

sweet, sweet winter...

*buries maybee in snow*

Thankyou :love:

SuperMillionaire
03-12-2014, 08:27 PM

sweet, sweet winter...

When it's winter up here in the northern hemisphere, it's summer down there in the southern hemisphere, and vice-versa.

starlet
03-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Huh, look at that....middle of march and we got another 6-12 inches of snow. MIDDLE. OF MARCH.

Shorty
03-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Our snow has finally gone away it seems, knock on wood. I can do without the hour plus commute to and from work each day thanks to shitty weather.

noxious.sunshine
03-17-2014, 08:23 AM
We has flurries happening tonight/today..

My dad slipped on ice in Wisconsin and slipped a disc.. Had to have surgery and they found eleventy billion other things wrong with him.

Annnd we had a "blizzard" in my hometown in the middle of March when I was in 3rd grade... No school for 2 weeks cuz there were no salt trucks there back then and no electricity for awhile cuz we lived a little ways outside of town.

Raistlin
03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Just when we thought the snow was gone...

I had another snow day from work today, which I think makes 4.5 on the winter, with five different snow storms of at least a couple of inches (some as much as 6 inches). That is incredibly unusual for this area. By contrast, last year there were no closures due to snow, and only a couple of inches of accumulation all winter.

I've been enjoying it, actually. I've missed what would have been a few very busy days of work due to snow.

Shorty
03-17-2014, 05:18 PM
I think we may be done with snow for the year! :jess:

Miriel
03-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Speak for yourself Supermillionaire, our winter here in San Francisco has been faaaaabulous! This was the official weather forecast for this past weekend:

http://i58.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/287kgwo.png

And we went to the beach!

http://i62.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2zgxaog.png

Depression Moon
03-18-2014, 03:34 AM
It's snowed more here too in my state than previous years. Right now it's sleeting like a mutha. I was able to get out of lone class today and hopefully another tomorrow.

maybee
03-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Yes Snow. Go away, you were terrible in FF 13.

*gets hit *

Ayen
03-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Yes Snow. Go away, you were terrible in FF 13.

*gets hit *

The truth hurts.

Kansas weather can't decide what it wants to do now. It'll be 70 degrees one day and then goes clear down to 30's the next and feel like it's the month of April instead of March. What the smurf, Kansas? What in the smurfing smurf!?

Pike
03-20-2014, 01:06 AM
I am from Montana where this sort of thing is commonplace, so please refer to my signature for my thoughts on this topic.

Actually the -30 F for a week did bother me a little bit :shobon: