PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Collectors Edition

Dat Matt
02-16-2014, 01:22 AM
So it has come to my attention that there is an HD remake of "Tales of Symphonia" and "Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of a New World" coming out on the 28th of February. This is because Tales of Symphonia is 10 years old this year. There is a collectors edition that has been announced which comes with the game, 2 CD soundtrack, artwork, novel and 5 mini figurines.

http://img.game.co.uk/images/content/SpecialEditions/TalesofSymphoniaChronicles.jpg

It seems to be retailing for £70. Anyone played the games before, or looking to pick up the HD collection?

Agent Proto
02-16-2014, 01:28 AM
I've played both games, so this interests me. However, I don't have a PS3, so that's a wasted use of money if I end up buying this. xD Both are great games, with Tales of Symphonia more so than the sequel. I wouldn't mind getting it for the figurines, though! :D

Dat Matt
02-16-2014, 01:49 AM
I've not played the second one yet. Shauna and I recently played through the first game, which I played to death as a teenager. Despite loving the game, I pointed out how much I was annoyed by "This level" or "that character". I think I complained about every single area we went into and then we finished the game. Dunno why I loved the game so much as a kid if everything about it was annoying xD

Edit - If you are a fan of the figurines, maybe you should check out the http://gallery.abyssalchronicles.com/albums/userpics/10002/7fa70d9a_(1).jpg. I bought this set on ebay yesterday because I planned to get the Collectors edition of Tales of Symphonia. I have far too many mini figures to fit on my shelf as it is, no idea where these are all going to fit xD

Jowy
02-16-2014, 08:19 AM
HOLY trout.

DAY ONE PURCHASE. I did everything in this game and enjoyed every single second. I wonder if they fixed the spell canceling / insta-cast proc you could exploit in the GCN version. Raine is the dust-broom wielding immortal.

Dat Matt
02-16-2014, 11:22 AM
When I played it recently Shauna played as Lloyd, and I played as zelos. When it turns out that camera focused on her and not the field it was impossible to play anything but mages. So I opted to play as Raine.

Ayen
02-16-2014, 11:27 AM
I haven't even heard of the series until I found out about this game through the wiki for games coming out this year. Sounds interesting, but I probably won't be picking it up for a while, if at all. Too busy with the games from my request list.

Dat Matt
02-16-2014, 11:48 AM
The "tales of" series of one of the larger RPG series in Japan. 14 total games have been released, 9 of which have been localized in the west. My favorite in the series is Tales of Vesperia for the Xbox 360, but tales of symphonia was the first one I played. Got me some nostalgia associated to this game.

Mirage
02-16-2014, 02:03 PM
I will totally get this. Been waiting for it for some time now.

Aulayna
02-16-2014, 04:18 PM
I am pre-ordering that collector's edition at the end of the month. (like 2 days before it's released xD)

I loved ToS but never got around to buying Dawn of a New World, so I'll definitely be using this opportunity.

Dat Matt
02-16-2014, 06:28 PM
I bought Dawn of a New World like the week is was released. I saw it in the stores and had to pick it up knowing how rare it was. I still haven't played it. I am amazing at playing games I own clearly. xD

Slothy
02-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Saw this advertised on the PSN a couple of weeks back and pre-ordered it immediately. Never did play the second one so I'm looking forward to it.

Dat Matt
02-16-2014, 11:28 PM
There was a small moment of panic there as 5/6 retailers either did not have the stock for the collectors edition. Amazon and game don't even appear to be taking orders which is weird so I assume they are out of stock too. One retailer I'd never heard of before still had them in stock (365 games), so I've ordered it from there. Had I waited until Wednesday like I had planned to I might not have been able to get the order in.

Standard edition is still everywhere though.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-17-2014, 12:54 AM
I'm in love with the Tales series.

I wanted to get the NA collector's edition. But I've been looking around and it seems to be sold out everywhere! I just...I...

Jiro
02-17-2014, 01:42 AM
I'll pick it up at some point, I'm a huge fan of the Tales of Symphonia original and never found a copy of the sequel so yes plz

Slothy
02-26-2014, 02:06 AM
It's out now and I've got mine downloading on the old PS3. So let's talk about the classic title and its sequel I never played because it was on the Wii until now.

EDIT: Merged with earlier thread -Murder

Jowy
02-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Thought it was the end of the month!

Going to buy this tomorrow because <3 physical media. I found myself using the same group of Lloyd/Zelos/Raine/Sheena for about 95% of the game. The cursed weapons get stupidly overpowered after you beat the optional dude and do enough grinding with them.

Bright Shield
02-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Symphonia is great. Dawn of the New World is pretty god awful though...

AssassinDX
02-27-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm quite interested in this, I never played either of the originals so I'll most likely get my moneys worth. The problem is I need to prioritise my next few gaming purchases, a friend has twisted my arm into getting The Elder Scrolls Online (although the upcoming beta this weekend will influence my decision greatly) and I also want the FFX/X-2 HD update, which I've been wanting for the past couple of years.

Unfortunately it looks like the Symphonia games will have to wait a while, but that collectors edition looks mighty tempting.

Bolivar
02-27-2014, 08:52 PM
The Tales of games all kind of blur together in my mind but I've been seeing and hearing a lot of great things about this remaster.

Are these games as good as they look?

Mirage
02-27-2014, 08:56 PM
I have no idea how good you think they look.

I like the gameplay in most of them. The stories and writing is of varying quality, ranging from "eh" to "pretty good". "Great" actually happens sometimes, but it's not typical for the series.

Jowy
02-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Is it just me, or are the text popups displaying the character's victory quote really irritating? They weren't in the Gamecube version and I personally think it clutters up the window.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-28-2014, 04:19 AM
I mentioned it on Facebook, I ended up buying this. Oh yes, you better believe I found it. The NA release is a Collector's Edition done right. I look forward to everything in it.

Skyblade
02-28-2014, 05:05 AM
I have picked up my copy. But I have noticed a major design flaw.

Playing it means time spent not playing Bravely Default.

I would have gotten the Collector's Edition, but my overall dislike of the Tales gameplay meant it wasn't a huge priority for me.

Bright Shield
02-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Are these games as good as they look?

Symphonia is great. Probably the best game in the series. It's got the best story, and dungeons by far. The voice acting is the best as well. Graphics are a bit meh.

Dawn of the New World is pretty bad though. Awful story, and dungeons. Even the voice acting took a major down grade.

Get the collection for Symphonia. Just think of Dawn as an extra bonus.

Aulayna
03-01-2014, 01:40 AM
I had to cancel my pre-order of the CE due to dental bills :( hopefully some will be floating around still in a months time.

Dat Matt
03-02-2014, 01:23 AM
I had to cancel my pre-order of the CE due to dental bills :( hopefully some will be floating around still in a months time.

Eh, the copies will be there, but the prices will not be nice. The game has been avaialble for <2 days here, and the CE are selling on amazon for £95 when the RRP was £70. That markup is only going to increase over time,

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Let's branch this thread out to talk about Tales games in general.

How many of the games have you played?

I've played Symphonia, Dawn of the New World, Xillia, Graces f, Legendia. I don't think i'm missing anything...there are more I want to play though. Abyss and Vesperia look really good.

Who's everyones favorite character? Is it Jay? Tell me it's Jay. I love that guy.

Dat Matt
03-03-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm going to start Abyss Soon on the 3DS, never came to the PS2 in Europe.

Tales of vesperia is my favorite RPG game ever, you should play that.

Jowy
03-04-2014, 09:24 AM
i feel bad every time i have to kill a mandragora.

i'd rather smell the flower on top of your head and give you a kiss. :(

Dat Matt
03-06-2014, 08:45 PM
I got my collectors editon in. The heads on the figures are far bigger than I anticipated.

Slothy
03-06-2014, 08:47 PM
I'd forgotten just how much I loved this game. Such a refreshing change from turn based JRPG's even now, and with just the right amount of cheese to keep things from getting too serious.

Dat Matt
03-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Shauna played the Gamecube version recently (like a year or two ago). I found it funny how much I played the game in my teens, but disliked several aspects of it. We'd walk into a place and I'd be nostalgic for it, but I'd recall how long some of the puzzles took and sigh. For example, the Latheon Gorge or Temple of Darkness took ages to finish.

Slothy
03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Honestly, I have only the vaguest memories of the game. I remember playing it and loving it, and I recognize things as I'm going along, but it's almost like I'm playing it for the first time again. Or playing a barely remembered game from my youth. It's kind of nice.

Jowy
03-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Beat the sword dancer at level 12. :) forgot to talk to dogs at the beginning with Colette though...don't really feel like restarting for it.

Mirage
03-07-2014, 02:22 PM
I'd forgotten just how much I loved this game. Such a refreshing change from turn based JRPG's even now, and with just the right amount of cheese to keep things from getting too serious.

That's so strange to me because i almost only play action RPGs these days :p. I'm going to get this collection once it drops to 20 bucks or so

Slothy
03-07-2014, 02:26 PM
I barely play any RPG's these days so it's not that strange.

Dat Matt
03-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I tend to play RPG -> Shooter -> RPG -> Platformer -> RPG etc. I've got so many RPGs/JRPGs to play I need to break them up with something :P

Slothy
03-11-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure how Genis can be one of the smartest people in the group considering how often Raine smacks him over the head.

Explains a lot about Lloyd though.

black orb
03-12-2014, 05:24 PM
>>> Another Symphonia release?? Gamecube, PS2, Wii and now PS3. lol.. :luca:

Slothy
03-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Tales of Symphonia was never released on Wii and only came out on PS2 in Japan so really it's just the second Western release not counting the sequel.

black orb
03-15-2014, 01:18 AM
Tales of Symphonia was never released on Wii and only came out on PS2 in Japan so really it's just the second Western release not counting the sequel.
>>> I think there is one called Dawn of the New World or something, I guess its a different game then..:luca:

Dat Matt
03-15-2014, 02:28 AM
That's the Sequel. That was also part of the HD remake that recently came out.

Jowy
03-15-2014, 08:27 AM
I wish I wanted to finish this but DARK SOULS II.

If you don't skip LloydxSheena you're doing it wrong.