PDA

View Full Version : New World: Intimate Music from FINAL FANTASY - A review

I Don't Need A Name
02-16-2014, 04:33 PM
So last night I went to see the evening performance of New World, with Arnie Roth, Nobuo Uematsu, Benyamin Nuss, Navarra String Quartet and the London Symphony Orchestra.

As Arnie stated at the start of the concert, the theme of the performance is to take a step back from the grandiose nature of the Distant Worlds concerts and enter an intimate setting, and boy did the concert do just that. From my seat (the back row of the balcony) you could see every fret on the guitar that is played, and every intricate movement played on the violin.

The intimate environment also made for a much better atmosphere within the concert. You could see the excited fist-pumps when Fight With Seymour was announced, hear an audible 'Oooh' at the introduction of Red Wings and see the beaming smile on every performers' face when someone shouted 'YEAH!' at Those Who Fight . Being close enough to the performers to see their faces was one of the best parts of the concert as you could see them bob along during solo performances and see the humbling smiles of pure happiness at the reception they received after each piece.

Anyway, enough about the people, it was all about the music after all. Before the performance, me and my girlfriend were discussing what songs they could play, as some require choirs. This was immediately answered as they opened the show with One Winged Angel, with the choir being represented by Nuss on piano. This stripped back version of the piece is by far my favourite that I have ever heard.

Opening with One Winged Angel would be an expected piece for any Final Fantasy concert but, as promised before the event, most of the pieces played were more obscure tracks: FFI's Town theme, Fragments of Memories from FFVIII and Eruyt Village from FFXII to name a few.

In an unexpected turn, even Arnie got involved in the playing as he whipped out a violin to play The Promise & Blinded By Light and accompanying Nobuo as they played Dark World.

Personally, the real highlights of the night were performances by Benyamin Nuss (Those Who Fight - Piano Version) and Navarra String Quartet (Fight With Seymour). Benyamin truly displayed why he personally was picked for these performances with is true mastery of the piano, playing a note perfect and intense performance of a classically loved piece. Fight With Seymour was a mind blowing piece involving impressive finger-work and ended with duelling violins that everyone in the room gave prolonged applause and cheers.

Overall, the show was a wonderful addition to the Final Fantasy concert performance repertoire and I hope that they can continue these performances for more people to experience!

(As a sub-note, I won't spoil it for if these shows continue, but look out for Ukulele de Chocobo with a cameo instrument of a squeaky toy!)

So I will save you from my ramblings and end this review with the setlist of the show and the announcement that Arnie promised that they will be back in the UK by the end of the year with an announcement coming within the week!

Setlist:
One Winged Angel - Final Fantasy VII
Eruyt Village - Final Fantasy XII
Fight With Seymour - Final Fantasy X
A New World - Final Fantasy V
Red Wings - Final Fantasy IV
Elia, Maiden of Water - Final Fantasy III - I am unsure on this one (FFIII is not my forte)
Fragments of Memories - Final Fantasy VIII
Town - Final Fantasy I
Chocobo Medley - Final Fantasy III's Chocobo! and Final Fantasy IX's Ukulele de Chocobo

~

Those Who Fight - Final Fantasy VII
Dark World - Final Fantasy VI ~ Featuring Nobuo Uematu & Arnie Roth
Moogle Medley - Moogle's Theme/Mog's Theme from Final Fantasy V/VI and Good King Moogle Mog XII from Final Fantasy XIV
Troian Beauty - Final Fantasy IV
The Decisive Battle - Final Fantasy VI
Gustaberg - Final Fantasy XI
The Promise / Blinded By Light - Final Fantasy XIII ~ Featuring Arnie Roth
Rebel Army Theme - Final Fantasy II
Zanarkand - Final Fantasy X
Encore
Force Your Way - Final Fantasy VIII

Carl the Llama
02-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Did they upload it to youtube? I would love to watch it!

Also great review, shame I couldn't be there ; ;

Psychotic
02-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Awesome write up, wish I could've been fast enough to get tickets!

I Don't Need A Name
02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
There were microphones set up for both concerts for a CD recording of it. Didn't see any cameras for a DVD, but I couldn't see the floor under me, so I can't rule out the possibility.

Kalevala
02-17-2014, 02:45 PM
I've always wanted to go to something like this or one of the Video Games Live shows, but nothing ever comes close to where I live.

Thanks for the review!

Edge7
02-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Wow, this sounds extremely cool. It's also nice to see some of the more obscure tracks get some love!

LadyJuxtaposition
02-18-2014, 10:52 PM
I want to see the concert! Or at least see of the highlights on YouTube if there're some posted.

Loony BoB
02-19-2014, 05:34 PM
I really hope they do more of these - I was massively gutted that Danielle and I only found out after the tickets had sold out. It sounds like such a wonderful thing to be able to go to.

Shauna
02-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Jealous. x} Sounds amazing! Can't believe how quickly those tickets sold out.

Hopefully the announcement thing is good news! :3

Aulayna
02-19-2014, 08:46 PM
To add to this, there is a Distant Worlds concert at the Royal Albert Hall on 1st November 2014. Tickets go on sale on 28th February!

I Don't Need A Name
02-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Wat. Where's that info from Aul!?

Aulayna
02-20-2014, 03:01 AM
Distant Worlds: London, England (http://www.ffdistantworlds.com/london2014)

Moogle Chrome
03-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Wow! What a setlist. TOTALLY going off the tracks compared to Distant Worlds.

Lucky for me, I live in Omaha and get to see Uematsu/Roth again in May for A New World! Kupo!!!