PDA

View Full Version : No FFXII HD planned...

Rostum
02-16-2014, 11:09 PM
At this moment, we do not have any plans [to release a HD remastered version of Final Fantasy XII]. But as Kitase-san has mentioned, if there are a lot of requests from the fans for a HD remastered version of Final Fantasy XII, we might consider it.

But with that said, at this moment there are no plans to do so.

Source (http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/02/13/square-enix-no-plans-for-final-fantasy-xii-hd-audio-drama-doesnt-mean-final-fantasy-x-3-development-is-planned/)

That's disappointing, I was really looking forward to the opposite news.

Mirage
02-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Total disappoint. Desire to buy FFX/X-2 no longer as strong.

Slothy
02-17-2014, 12:05 AM
That's a shame. It's the only FF that I think I actually want to see in HD. It always looked great with upscaling on my original PS3. Shame that FFXIII killed it on me.

Jessweeee♪
02-17-2014, 12:26 AM
I just want FFI-XII to go with me everywhere :<

Sephiroth
02-17-2014, 12:29 AM
No trophies for Yiazmat, Omega Mark XII, Zodiac Spear, Tournesol, Toro's Sword, all Genji equipment from Gilgamesh, Deus Dragon, Red Chocobo Level 99, Complete Bestiary, Complete Pirates' Den, all Mobs, all Espers ...

Thank god. Once is enough. But I guess it will be released some day.

EDIT: The Pirates' Den are no official trophies.

Bolivar
02-17-2014, 02:48 AM
That's a shame. It's the only FF that I think I actually want to see in HD. It always looked great with upscaling on my original PS3. Shame that FFXIII killed it on me.

Had to quote this because Moogle Hugging it just wasn't enough... FFXII has so much more for me to play, even after the hundreds of hours I've already spent in its rendition of Ivalice.

I'm not totally surprised there's no plans for it right now, SE must be real busy with the new generation and they probably want to see how X & X-2 do first. Have patience.

Tigmafuzz
02-17-2014, 02:55 AM
I'm pretty sure XII is the FF I've put the most time into, out of all of them. Probably nearly a thousand hours in XII and IZJS together. No HD remake makes me sad :(

Rostum
02-17-2014, 05:12 AM
Have patience.

I've tried this tactic with SE before, it does not work. :(

Ayen
02-17-2014, 12:55 PM
This doesn't surprise me, quite frankly. I know you all love XII, but I don't think the majority out there share the same feelings as you all so I can't see the overall demand being as great as it was in the case of X. Then again, I could be completely wrong about that.

Bubba
02-17-2014, 01:41 PM
This doesn't surprise me, quite frankly. I know you all love XII, but I don't think the majority out there share the same feelings as you all so I can't see the overall demand being as great as it was in the case of X. Then again, I could be completely wrong about that.

Yeah, FFX definitely gets more love than FFXII. I can see FFX HD being a big seller though so I'm sure they'll change their tune about FFXII when the gil comes rolling in.

DMKA
02-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Meh, he (and Toriyama) said that there wasn't going to be another FFXIII sequel after XIII-2 and that the ending would be concluded via DLC...and now we have Lightning Returns. So don't give up hope. HD remakes are such easy profit that I can't see SE saying no.

But, if it's any consolation, FFXII had great graphics to begin with, so it emulates in HD beautifully (http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100419025608/finalfantasy/images/d/d2/Giza_Rains.jpg). :p

Bolivar
02-18-2014, 02:29 AM

No, you're spot on with this one, Tori. Unfortunately, a lot of it had to do with the hype of FFX riding the early-cycle hype for the PlayStation 2 whereas FFXII launched at the end, when people were more excited for a new console generation. God of War II and Shadow of the Colossus are two masterpieces that also have big cult followings like FFXII, but will be unfairly underrated in the grand scheme of things (low placement in top 100 lists and the like). XII was also incredibly divisive because of how it departed so much from the Final Fantasy formula, with many of these departures being too far ahead of their time to be appreciated in 2006.

FFXII solved a lot of the problems Japanese and Western RPGs struggled with in the following generation.

What can I say, I'm a hopeless optimist, Rostum :D

Rostum
02-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Let's hope the success of FFX/X-2 Remaster sets them straight, let's also hope once they realise they need to do this that it doesn't take long.

Mirage
02-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Meh, he (and Toriyama) said that there wasn't going to be another FFXIII sequel after XIII-2 and that the ending would be concluded via DLC...and now we have Lightning Returns. So don't give up hope. HD remakes are such easy profit that I can't see SE saying no.

But, if it's any consolation, FFXII had great graphics to begin with, so it emulates in HD beautifully (http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100419025608/finalfantasy/images/d/d2/Giza_Rains.jpg). :p

Character textures look fine, but more complex skybox textures look a bit messy. I wouldn't mind a slight texture res increase for some things. Also, low res UI sticks out a lot. Not-as-complex skies look fine though, such as here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1132077/images/ff12.jpg

Rocket Edge
02-19-2014, 12:21 AM
This is hugely disappointing news. I can't see them doing one ever if they don't make a statement about it in the next year or so. I agree with many of you that this game would look excellent in HD as it came out 4 years after X.

Skyblade
02-23-2014, 06:17 AM
No trophies for Yiazmat, Omega Mark XII, Zodiac Spear, Tournesol, Toro's Sword, all Genji equipment from Gilgamesh, Deus Dragon, Red Chocobo Level 99, Complete Bestiary, Complete Pirates' Den, all Mobs, all Espers ...

Thank god. Once is enough. But I guess it will be released some day.

That's what the Sky Pirate's Den is for.

I'd much rather see Final Fantasy IX. The game that got absolutely hosed by the graphical limitations of the Playstation.

No, you're spot on with this one, Tori. Unfortunately, a lot of it had to do with the hype of FFX riding the early-cycle hype for the PlayStation 2 whereas FFXII launched at the end, when people were more excited for a new console generation. God of War II and Shadow of the Colossus are two masterpieces that also have big cult followings like FFXII, but will be unfairly underrated in the grand scheme of things (low placement in top 100 lists and the like). XII was also incredibly divisive because of how it departed so much from the Final Fantasy formula, with many of these departures being too far ahead of their time to be appreciated in 2006.

FFXII solved a lot of the problems Japanese and Western RPGs struggled with in the following generation.

What problems did FFXII solve? It had boring and outright broken combat, a world that was so immense that it ruined the pacing of the story, the least important character as it's lead, writing that fell apart due to the shifts in staff while making the game, an over-reliance on hunts to the point that they overshadowed the better written and typically much more enjoyable sidequests, and a complete lack of variety in tone and mood for the entire game.

NeoCracker
02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
All I want is an HD remake of Sabin Suplexing the Phantom Train. Doesn't even need to be the whole game, just that scene.

Aulayna
02-23-2014, 12:44 PM
I'd much rather see Final Fantasy IX. The game that got absolutely hosed by the graphical limitations of the Playstation.

I swear the NTSC regions must've got a very bad version of FFIX for all the whining on EoFF about it being hindered by graphical limitations.

I played the PAL version here in EU and it was fine. I even dusted off my PSone a few months ago when I first saw those complaints on EoFF, and it's still fine.

Ayen
02-23-2014, 12:55 PM

I swear the NTSC regions must've got a very bad version of FFIX for all the whining on EoFF about it being hindered by graphical limitations.

I played the PAL version here in EU and it was fine. I even dusted off my PSone a few months ago when I first saw those complaints on EoFF, and it's still fine.

I don't think it's a common complaint outside of here, to be frank. I never heard of the complaint until coming here. I always thought it looked just fine when I played it. If it looks bad to me now it's only because I've been playing a bunch of newer stuff.

Skyblade
02-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Did you ever check out this (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/149841-holy-trout-someone-dug-up-ton-high-resolution-art-final-fantasy-ixs-production.html) thread? It shows just how good the game could have looked if it wasn't on the original Playstation.

And that's just the backgrounds. The character models also look pixelated beyond belief.

Mirage
02-23-2014, 01:23 PM
European version of FF9 is what I played. It looks exactly the same as the US version, and it doesn't look too stellar. The backgrounds look "fine" and so do the CG videos, but even the backgrounds suffer from too-many-details-on-too-low-resolution-syndrome, and the 3D models and battle effects even more so. In short, the game makes the PS1 chew off more than the PS1 actually could swallow, and the result is muddly graphics and poor loading times. FF8 had a lower amount of detail in the character textures, models and backgrounds, but in my opinion still ended up lookin better because it was more in line with what was suitable for the resolution the game ran in. Additionally, in-battle load times were a lot shorter in FF8, and the effects still looked pretty cool.

It might also have the very typical and terrible framerate slowdown caused by NTSC-PAL framerate conversions, but I honestly do not remember. I am certain that FFX had that, though.

Aulayna
02-23-2014, 02:43 PM
I must've played a completely different game then as I never had any issues with load time problems or anything and the pixellation was not bad enough to take away from the immersion. Pretty much all pre-rendered backdrops suffered from resolution drops, this was far more noticeable in things like Resident Evil.

Sure it doesn't look great in retrospect, but in hindsight very few PSone games look great. I was watching Marshall Banana's stream of FFVIII and wondered how I ever thought that it looked good, with battle background skybox effects that don't even fill the entire screen etc. Honestly I'd say, aside from the menu overlay in battles, that IX has aged the best out of the 3 PSone installments.

I honestly doubt that it being on the PS2 instead of the PSone, would've made any difference to it's actual gameplay.

Skyblade
02-23-2014, 04:42 PM
I must've played a completely different game then as I never had any issues with load time problems or anything and the pixellation was not bad enough to take away from the immersion. Pretty much all pre-rendered backdrops suffered from resolution drops, this was far more noticeable in things like Resident Evil.

Sure it doesn't look great in retrospect, but in hindsight very few PSone games look great. I was watching Marshall Banana's stream of FFVIII and wondered how I ever thought that it looked good, with battle background skybox effects that don't even fill the entire screen etc. Honestly I'd say, aside from the menu overlay in battles, that IX has aged the best out of the 3 PSone installments.

I honestly doubt that it being on the PS2 instead of the PSone, would've made any difference to it's actual gameplay.

Gameplay? Maybe not, except it might fix the Speed bug.

Visually? It would have looked so much better. It did push the PSX too far, and looks inferior to both VII and VIII because of that.

black orb
03-07-2014, 10:49 PM
>>> They will make it. SE is like North Korea (they just like to act tough)..:luca: