PDA

View Full Version : Ordering games in Canada

Pete for President
02-17-2014, 05:58 AM
So I'm living in Whistler BC, Canada till the end of the winter season and with Dark Souls 2 only a month away I want to pre-order it and preferably have it in the mail close after release date. But so far all the sites don't really clarify their "on release" delivery kinda deal, if it at all exists in this country.

Only Amazon.ca is clear about it, and says with the free delivery it would arrive between March 20th and March 28th. That could be 2 weeks after release date. Wouldn't be a problem normally, but by then I have only 4 weeks left living here, so I'd like to get it a little quicker.

Any tips on pre-ordering in Canada? What stores/sites are recommended? Any other tips?

Dr Unne
02-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Amazon is where I get everything. If you want faster shipping, you're probably going to have to pay for it. I got Bravely Default on Monday the 10th (released on Friday the 7th) with Amazon "Express" shipping, or whatever Amazon Prime gives you for free. I'm on Vancouver Island, and our mail delivery is slow compared to the mainland. If you get Express shipping you'll probably get it fast. Key word "probably", Canada Post is unreliable, but I usually get my stuff fast.

Also make sure whatever you buy is shipping from Amazon itself, not a 3rd party retailer, because if Amazon outsources to America or something on the east coast, there will probably be more delays.

EDIT: Should say, I have no idea what mail service is like for Whistler. My city is right across the bay from Vancouver, that may make a difference.

Slothy
02-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Shipping in Canada sucks. Like Unne said, best way to get it sooner is probably to pay for faster shipping. Maybe ebgames could get the copy shipped out faster, but I doubt it. On the plus side, paying for better shipping within canada is at least better than paying the same amount for normal shipping from the US.

Yeah, that doesn't actually make me feel better either. :exdee:

Pumpkin
02-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I will say this, of all the things I much prefer living in Canada to the U.S., shipping is not one of them. Good golly the U.S. is on top of their shipping. Things arrive like 5 days before they're expected too, sometimes. I'm seriously waiting for things to fall in to my lap right after I order them, that's how fast things are here. Estimated 3 days? 1 day! Estimated 2 weeks? 3 days!

Everything I've ordered in Canada took foreeeeeevvverrrr. I remember when I ordered X-2, it was supposed to arrive in 2 weeks and it got there in 3 and a half :/. And when I have an urge to play a game, I have an urge to play a game. Like right then. Not in 3 and a half weeks.

If I had found a solution to this problem, I would tell you. Best bet would be to pre-order or go to an EB games or something. Sorry Pete :/.

escobert
02-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Yeah I agree with Shion, unless whatever I'm ordering form Amazon is coming from China it's usually here within 4 days.

Pete for President
02-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the help and for sharing your experiences with the various online stores everyone!

I'd like to just go and get the game in a store, but the closest videogame store is about an hour away from here and I don't have a car. The gas alone, or a bus ticket, would cost more than the shipping.

Amazon.ca with fastest shipping seems likes the best option. I think even with that amount added the game it would still be cheaper than what I'd be buying it for in the Netherlands I think (usually €60, so about $80).

Thanks again :greenie: