PDA

View Full Version : Having lag issues? Maybe this can help!

Rostum
02-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Without using a VPN, a latency of 300ms makes things like Titan Extreme a gamble (I've only been able to get through it once, must have been a lucky day with my connection).

By connecting through WTFast's New Zealand server via a chained server directly to Montreal, I've been able to reduce my lag by a tremendous amount from Australia (see attached photo). I'm actually in shock by how low it is, and I don't even know how it could be physically possible!

http://imageshack.com/a/img838/3998/ahpc.jpg

Look at that, 300ms down to 42ms. /drools

If you're having lag issues, I highly suggest a VPN like WTFast, Battleping, or Pingzapper and selecting servers that offer you a better, more direct route to FFXIV's servers in Canada.

Has anyone else had lag issues, problems with content like Titan due to it, or any success with a VPN? Share here!

Mirage
02-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Pretty neat. I wonder how low I could get my latency. I'm at like 120 ms now.

o_O
02-18-2014, 01:56 AM
Started using this a few weeks ago, after Logan suggested it, and it's pretty much the best thing ever. My ping dropped from around 400-450ms down to a consistent 30ms. Suddenly Titan became really easy!

Citizen Bleys
02-18-2014, 02:55 AM
30ms? How the christ did you manage that?

I'm trying it now, ping average is only down 4 ms (from 78 to 74) but it shows massive improvement on ping spikes and ping flux average, whatever the hell those are.

I'm the closest one to Montreal here.

Mirage
02-18-2014, 04:08 AM
Ping spikes would represent latency stability, meaning your latency fluctuates less and is more predictable for you as a player. The closer you are to the actual servers, the less of an impact services such as these would have.

o_O
02-18-2014, 05:48 AM
I don't even know how I got down to 30ms, unless the application's giving me bogus numbers; I've never had a ping this low to anything, let alone to the other side of the world. I'm wondering if it could be because of a low contention ratio through the NZ server, since Logan's ping was about 160ms lower through it than when tunneling through the Aussie servers.

Regardless, I've had an astronomical improvement in Titan HM, so I can't complain. My non-VPNed ping at this time of night is better than usual, but it's incredibly steady through WTFast.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3451091/ffxiv/wtfast.png

Citizen Bleys
02-18-2014, 01:28 PM
The closer you are to the actual servers, the less of an impact services such as these would have.

I understand this; I clearly wouldn't drop hundreds of milliseconds when I don't have hundreds of milliseconds to drop. Nevertheless, using the same service, I still have over double the ping of players in Oceania in spite of the fact that I could drive to the NA/EU server hub in less time than it would take them to fly, and that tells me I have my settings wrong and I don't understand how I've got them wrong.

Mirage
02-18-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm not entirely certain WTFast's statistics are entirely accurate. I tried it for FFXI, and it's showing a reduction from 310 to 291 ms. Only problem is that i normally have like 280 ms to those servers. It could be exaggerating the "normal" latencies to make it seem like it's doing more than it does. If any of you other techies could test this out with a "real" ping, not the ping built into the VPN client, that would be great.

Rostum
02-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Perhaps the servers you were using with WTFast weren't the right ones, or the setup wasn't correct? I don't know. From what I've read it's a bit more complicated than just selecting a server with the lowest ping, you also have to be connecting in the right direction (?) and connecting to servers close by to the game's servers.

I've contacted WTFast support to check out this stuff and see what they say.

Citizen Bleys
02-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Their FAQ is wrong about chaining servers; I picked the server with the lowest ping as the first one and Montreal as the second when I was getting 75 ms, but when I picked Montreal for both I dropped down to 60-63ms.

Mirage
02-19-2014, 04:13 AM
Perhaps the servers you were using with WTFast weren't the right ones, or the setup wasn't correct? I don't know. From what I've read it's a bit more complicated than just selecting a server with the lowest ping, you also have to be connecting in the right direction (?) and connecting to servers close by to the game's servers.

I've contacted WTFast support to check out this stuff and see what they say.

I wasn't given an option to select an exit point, just an entry point. The service correctly detected FFXI servers to be in japan, so I am hoping that means they also put the exit in japan as well.

Rostum
02-22-2014, 01:11 AM
I finally got a response. Perhaps I'll try a different VPN... Though this still does make it more manageable to play the game despite what readings I am getting.

We are aware of an issue with certain chained connections not having accurate monitoring and only showing the first hop in the chain. This means that in your case you are only seeing the ping from yourself to NZ1. We are working to solve this issue in a future release of WTFast and hope to have it resolved soon. A more accurate result would be the ping in the Montreal (Choose Best) single server connection. We are also adding new servers in Australia which should be live. Can you try Australia (Choose Best) and see if the new servers is better for you.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-25-2014, 04:10 PM
I live in Montreal...BTW would having my DNS set-up for US Netflix through a Toronto company affect my ping?

I am actually surprised that it was able to cut my ping! I sorta tried it as a joke.

Elpizo
02-25-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm having problems with WTFast. I have it set up and got FF XIV configured, but the program doesn't seem to work. I can click "play", but after that, nothing happens. It says the game is connected, but there are no bytes being sent or being received and no ping. After a while, the program quits due to "inactivity". The program says there may be possible connection issues, but doesn't tell me where, how or what or what to do about it. I tried using different servers, but that didn't do anything. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or how I can fix it?

=> screenshot of WTFast not working properly <= (http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Elpizo/FFXIV/wtfastproblem.png)

o_O
02-25-2014, 08:20 PM
I first have to start WTFast, then I start FFXIV and log in. It takes about 2-3 mins before WTFast will start showing me any metrics on the performance.

I finally got a response. Perhaps I'll try a different VPN... Though this still does make it more manageable to play the game despite what readings I am getting.

We are aware of an issue with certain chained connections not having accurate monitoring and only showing the first hop in the chain. This means that in your case you are only seeing the ping from yourself to NZ1. We are working to solve this issue in a future release of WTFast and hope to have it resolved soon. A more accurate result would be the ping in the Montreal (Choose Best) single server connection. We are also adding new servers in Australia which should be live. Can you try Australia (Choose Best) and see if the new servers is better for you.

Damn, I knew it was too good to be true!

Elpizo
02-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Well, I don't get any metrics even after 37 minutes and eventually the program just logs off by itself due to "inactivity". I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :(

Rostum
02-26-2014, 12:10 AM
I live in Montreal...
Nice, but I'm not sure if you'd even need this service since you're right next door to the servers anyway? Either way I'm so jealous of your low ping. :(

I'm having problems with WTFast. I have it set up and got FF XIV configured, but the program doesn't seem to work. I can click "play", but after that, nothing happens. It says the game is connected, but there are no bytes being sent or being received and no ping. After a while, the program quits due to "inactivity". The program says there may be possible connection issues, but doesn't tell me where, how or what or what to do about it. I tried using different servers, but that didn't do anything. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or how I can fix it?

=> screenshot of WTFast not working properly <= (http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Elpizo/FFXIV/wtfastproblem.png)

It looks like it's not connecting - that yellow "Possible connection issue" should be green and saying "Connected to game". Load WTFast up and then log into the game and select your character, that's when it should connect. You could try talking to WTFast support otherwise, they are really helpful and fast.

Damn, I knew it was too good to be true!

In saying that, it still hugely improves my connection despite readings being fake.