PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity killed the cat (spoiler allert)

Shaibana
02-17-2014, 01:48 PM
So i just got the Shinra Sub, and as i made my first dive, i saw something peacefully floating in the water.
i was just about to shut the ps3 off and go to sleep anyway so i went after it to see what it was.

i chased it down and when i bumped against it a battle initiated.

but when the battle started.. everything went wrong!
apearently it was (sub)boss called Emerald weapon, and it shot my characters down 1 by 1 with 7k damage!

has curiosity ever got you into trouble?

Ayen
02-17-2014, 02:07 PM
has curiosity ever got you into trouble?

*sees something red sticking out of the ground, goes over to it*

Ruby Weapon: *rise up from the ground* You came to the wrong desert, mother smurfer!
Me: Oh trout!
Ruby Weapon: Your ass is grass and I'm gonna smoke it!
Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Ruby Weapon: MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Me: *gets the crap beaten out of him*

Bubba
02-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah, Emerald Weapon is pretty much the toughest enemy in the game. I've had my arse handed to me by him plenty of times.

In terms of curiosity backfiring, I remember asking my Dad about what it was like dating my Mum when they were younger. He proceeding to go into far too much detail than I would have liked.

I will never get that image out of my head.

EDIT: Whoops, I suppose this should be related to FFVII

Sephiroth
02-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Enemies with an extra model are always supposed to be something special. Except they appear in the Main Story like Air Buster, Materia Keeper, Carry Armor, et cetera. In all Final Fantasys it pretty much is a general rule, however.

Jiro
02-18-2014, 12:49 AM
I did the same thing. Seeing Emerald WEAPON for the first time scarred me.

Ayen
02-18-2014, 05:16 AM
I can't remember what my first reaction to Emerald was. I assume it was so traumatizing I blocked it out.

Psychotic
02-18-2014, 07:30 AM
I remember exploring in the deep sea, well aware of what Emerald was and doing my best to keep out of its way. I hadn't seen it for a while and was tootling about in the sub, doing my own thing. I just remember stopping somewhere for whatever reason in a little rocky alcove, maybe to have a drink or something. When I turned around, there was Emerald, looming large and staring intently at me, just inches from the sub. My god that was the worst. Who knew FFVII had a jumpscare to rival any survival horror?

maybee
02-18-2014, 08:34 AM
Me aged 12- Oh a sub ! This is pretty neat and the music is pretty relaxing too !

Oh what's the strange green thing ? Is that one of the WEAPONS ??

It shouldn't be too hard

* Party gets completely destroyed *

Wrong, wrong, wrong- never been so wrong.

Kalevala
02-18-2014, 04:52 PM
I've had a lot of curiosity killed the cat moments, or just cases of me accidentally poking my nose where it didn't belong.

Attempting to cross the marshlands without a chocobo and being annihilated by the Midgar Zolom is one encounter from FFVII that sticks out.

VeloZer0
02-19-2014, 12:11 AM
What kind of wuss doesn't try to fight the Midgar Zolom at least once?

Sephiroth
02-19-2014, 12:21 AM

And beat him. You forgot beating him, ha, ha, ha. If he does not get your Enemy Skill character you can even learn Beta at that time.

Kalevala
02-19-2014, 02:13 AM
Chocobo Farmer: You really should just ride a chocobo across the marshlands. They're all over the place, it's no problem.
Farmhand: Really guys, it's like a 30-foot snake. You wouldn't even make a decent meal. It'd fuck you up out of spite.
Cloud: Ahh, how bad could it be?

*10 minutes later, party missing various appendages*

Chocobo Farmer: So, gysahl greens?
Cloud: Yep.

maybee
02-19-2014, 09:04 AM

I usually just try and run and skip him, since I can never be effed doing the chocobo things, till later on the game.

Though as Sephiroth has already mentioned, if you murder him early on, you can gain a game destroying enemy skill, which makes the beginning of the game, total easy as piss.

Karifean
02-19-2014, 11:35 AM
I've had several curiosity killed the cat moments in FF, although none in particular in FF7.

One I remember from just a month ago or so was me deciding to try casting Lv UP on a T-Rexaur in FF8. He promptly wiped my party with a tail swipe.

VeloZer0
02-19-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm not expecting every player, especially a first timer, to go though the hassle of beating the Zolom. But never trying once? Come on.

Carl the Llama
02-20-2014, 07:04 AM
When I first played the game, I was very curious about the story so I spent little time level and as such I was incredibly underleveled... I got to the temple of the ancients and my cloud had about 750hp and was my strongest fighter. Poor Aerith didn't stand a chance as I hadn't used her at all had a measly 600hp (ish) and I got so owned by the Demon Gate... I nearly gave up. After a huge amount of grinding I finally beat him.

Ever since then I have made a point of being at least somewhat decently leveled when I go anywhere. As for Midgar Zolom I was warned prior to meeting him by the guy who introduced me into the series not to bother trying to fight him as "he has a move that does 4000 damage to you".