PDA

View Full Version : World Revolution.

Jowy
02-18-2014, 08:48 AM
We all love final confrontation music. What track sets the stage for the be-all end-all battle in a jRPG for you? Thread title holds the gold for me.

VeloZer0
02-18-2014, 02:47 PM
World Revolution is certainly on of my favourites, it's unfortunate that it was used for the pen-ultimate battle.

It is probably between that and One Winged Angel. That said I would much rather listen to World Revolution as a piece of music, I just think OWA fits the scene so well.

NeoCracker
02-19-2014, 12:14 AM
I have to go with dancing mad on this one. That track is fucking epic.

World Revolution puts up a good fight though, and despite not being as attached to VII as some, One Winged Angel is great.

Skyblade
02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
This is in General Square-Enix, so I'm guessing that we're restricting it to just Square-Enix games?

Well, I haven't played a lot of their titles, so I don't know what the music is like in Hitman or Tomb Raider. That said, I have played a lot of their RPGs, and the music is pretty much all around stunning.

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Final Fantasy VII have all been mentioned, and they are pretty much the top of the line.

Only other ones I can think of to mention are the final boss themes from Kingdom Hearts. I'm a fan of pretty much all of those final boss themes as well. They're either just solid music on their own, or a near perfect accent to the atmosphere of the fight they're tied to.

Del Murder
02-19-2014, 08:18 PM
One Winged Angel is my favorite, but Dancing Mad is also great. What is World Revolution from?

Sephiroth
02-19-2014, 08:23 PM
One-Winged Angel and Shadowlord are my favourites.

Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wJ8pE2qKU)

NieR Soundtrack - Shadowlord [HQ] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-M5o0kLEI)

One Winged Angel is my favorite, but Dancing Mad is also great. What is World Revolution from?

It is from Chrono Trigger, where Gohan, Piccolo, Launch and Bulma fight Cell.

Or translated: Chrono, Magus, Ayla, Marledia and Lavos. Ha, ha, ha.

Del Murder
02-19-2014, 09:13 PM
I thought that's what it was but I didn't know the name. That's a good one too.

The Man
02-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Dancing Mad is the absolute peak. Other strong entries are The Extreme (FFVIII), Highbrow (Star Ocean 3), and The Sacrifice Part III (Seiken Densetsu 3). Other examples of near-final battles that are cool are World Revolution as already mentioned (Chrono Trigger), Dark Messenger (FFIX), Dragon God (Chrono Cross), and The Sorcerer (Secret of Mana). All of these games also have cool final battle themes (except Chrono Cross whose final battle doesn't actually have music) but the penultimate battle themes are cooler.

One-Winged Angel was cool at one point but got ruined from overexposure.

Fynn
02-25-2014, 06:40 AM
I don't think there's such a thing as being ruined from overexposure. If it's good, it's good, even if you like it less for hearing it too much.

I do like Dancing Mad. I also thin FFX had an awesome final battle theme. Also, the three final battle themes from Bravely Default are just incredible.

0z8t8cLr748
vHeuR_bC9GM
OLBTIUzPpEQ

The Man
02-25-2014, 07:52 AM
OWA is still good I guess but there don't need to be something like ten different recorded versions of OWA when there are literally hundreds of other amazing FF songs that haven't been recorded at all. I can't think of any other songs in the series that have been recorded so many times with so many of the versions being identical. At least each time Dancing Mad and several of the others are re-recorded, the new arrangements are substantially different from any of the previous versions (the Distant Worlds version is way different from the Black Mages version, which of course is way different from the original game version, etc.). It seems like every time there's a new orchestral FF album they feel compelled to stick OWA on there though and it's not like two different orchestral arrangements are going to be radically different from one another.

Dalkaen
03-03-2014, 06:22 AM
One theme that I believe hasn't been mentioned yet is The Decisive Battle from FFV. If I'm remembering correctly it plays in the first phase of the final battle before being replaced by a different theme which is still good but not quite as memorable. I like it a lot, but I'll echo others in this thread and call Dancing Mad my favorite, followed by Dark Messenger. I also agree that One Winged Angel gets a little bit too much credit despite being a really strong piece.