PDA

View Full Version : Twitch Plays Pokemon

Jessweeee♪
02-20-2014, 01:55 AM
Twitch (http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon)

Who's been keeping up with it? For those of you not in the know, basically it's a twitch channel streaming Pokemon Red/Blue where the user has set up their emulator to accept commands from the twitch chat. Anyone can come in, type a/b/up/down whatever. So far the most I've seen on at once is a bit over 100k users. As you can imagine, progress is slow. I pop in a couple of times a day to check out progress and throw in a few inputs.

Highlights so far:

That smurfing ledge next to Pewter City only one space wide. One mothersmurfer presses down and it's all over.
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/701/506/87d

Coordinating the cutting of a tree took many many hours.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/700/344/058.png

Trying to get a pokemon that can learn surf. The hivemind opted for picking up an Eevee to evolve into a Vaporeon instead of getting Lapras. Accidentally got a firestone. They tried to dump the unwanted Flareon into the PC and instead they accidentally released Charmeleon and a Ratatta the fans affectionately refer to as "Jay Leno." Oops.

Spending a day and a half trying to clear Team Rocket HQ. Actually managed to navigate the mazes several times, only to accidentally use "dig" to warp out of the building and have to start over. This happened many many times and inspired the anarchy vs. democracy system you see in place now.

http://i.imgur.com/oiUKyli.png

Obtained and immediately released a Hitmonlee. Oops.

Jinx
02-20-2014, 01:59 AM
Jesswee, I thought I knew you.

Slothy
02-20-2014, 02:02 AM
Getting this short update of the greatest hits is the only tolerable way to experience this whole Twitch Pokemon thing.

Jinx
02-20-2014, 02:03 AM
Getting this short update of the greatest hits is the only tolerable way to experience this whole Twitch Pokemon thing.

For once I have to agree with you.

Jessweeee♪
02-20-2014, 02:04 AM
People who are spending hours and hours actually trying to play this are doing it wrong imo. You pop in, catch up on everything that's happened while you were gone, throw in some a's and check out xD

Pete for President
02-20-2014, 04:39 AM
Haha yea I saw this a couple days ago. It's hilarious.

CimminyCricket
02-20-2014, 05:16 AM
This is all we've been talking about at work for the day or so. I can't handle the stress.

Fynn
02-20-2014, 06:57 AM
I'm surprised this thread got started so late. This is awesome. It even has it's own TV Tropes page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LetsPlay/TwitchPlaysPokemon). The Internet is fascinating.

Also, Jess, it's because of monsters like you that Abby and Jay Leno are gone :cry:

Jessweeee♪
02-20-2014, 07:52 AM
I'm surprised this thread got started so late. This is awesome. It even has it's own TV Tropes page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LetsPlay/TwitchPlaysPokemon). The Internet is fascinating.

I love how it critiques the strategies employed so far, as if anything is being done intentionally in this game besides "go to the place and do the thing."

Shauna
02-20-2014, 09:53 AM
I think it is hilarious. :D I am always impressed whenever I check in and they've actually moved on!

Dr Unne
02-20-2014, 09:56 AM
When I was watching, people kept opening the menu over and over. I'm also kind of sad that it broke Twitch chat for most of the week. It's an interesting concept though.

Spuuky
02-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Yeah, they added start menu throttling which helps a little bit so it isn't just constant menu, but it's still there a lot.

Del Murder
02-20-2014, 05:45 PM
The ultimate challenge would be to try and do this with a game like Dark Souls.

Jessweeee♪
02-20-2014, 05:48 PM
There's three factions at play here with the menu opening. One group is opening the menu with the intention of eating up the excess number of commands and to help catch up with the 20-40 second delay, one group thinking they are just trolling and using scripts to spam b, and one group is just pressing start for funsies.

Sephiroth
02-20-2014, 06:02 PM
This looks very boring and your thread with Red looking like a dork is the only good thing about it.

Spuuky
02-20-2014, 07:38 PM
The ultimate challenge would be to try and do this with a game like Dark Souls.I don't think it can really be done with a game that does things that aren't functionally turn-based. The entire movement system of Pokemon is really "turn-based," in addition to the combat, which makes it feasible.

Aulayna
02-20-2014, 09:05 PM
This looks very boring and your thread with Red looking like a dork is the only good thing about it.

http://cdn.grumpycats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Grumpy-Cat-01.jpg

Sephiroth
02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
http://cdn.grumpycats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Grumpy-Cat-01.jpg

I visited the channel. 7 days with 60000-100000 people pressing a button? No thanks. I still cannot understand what people think of as awesome nowadays while hating things that really have been made with much effort.

It has to do with having low expectations and having those expectations being exceeded vs. having high expectations and not having those expectations even being close to met.

And yeah, people like simple things.

No, it has to do with a ridiculous anti-hype-hype were it is cool to hate things because others do as well and search for any reason, no matter how illogical it is.

You mean like, making a big deal out of the fact that someone making a sword for entertainment purposes didn't use the precise measurements?

No, like you do by taking a post of someone who does not go with the flow. When something is supposed to be a total adaption (movies for example are not and get hated for it but the length of a weapon can be made accurately) then it should be what it is called. My critics do not come from peer pressure and are not illogical as everything I say can be very well explained such as the Odachi example you refer to, that is the difference. It also has nothing to do with "face value" as there is no necessity in justifying it by getting wannabe-intellectual since none of the 100000 people on that channel does it for that purpose and none of them would waste their time for exactly those "deep thoughts". Look at your post and look at mine, which was not worse than what other people wrote about the channel being "bad", just in other words. None of what I have said would have required that exaggerated picture or a counter post which is supposed to attack me with a previous post of mine while ignoring the logic that was in my post which is very well written in a certain context and so is the post you have replied to and you know it as good as me that Twitch-visitors do not spend half a day for what you say. You are getting polemical and ignore your own principles once someone dislikes something you like and take it personal as for some reason your communication partner itself is the reason for you to purposely understand something the unintended way, that is exactly what communication psychology shows as one of the possible problems in the 2. axiom (if we want to get intellectual as you have started I can very well use my psychology degree since you seem to insist on accusing guys who analyze the actual situation of being "restricted when it comes to the value of things" ) and this is not worth getting headaches, ask yourself if that waste of time replying to me with your super-sized picture and the other post was worth it. I personally do not insist on arguing with you so this discussion is over.

Shauna
02-20-2014, 09:42 PM
It is the simple things in life.

Jinx
02-20-2014, 09:56 PM
It has to do with having low expectations and having those expectations being exceeded vs. having high expectations and not having those expectations even being close to met.

And yeah, people like simple things.

Aulayna
02-20-2014, 10:36 PM
I visited the channel. 7 days with 60000-100000 people pressing a button? No thanks. I still cannot understand what people think of as awesome nowadays while hating things that really have been made with much effort.

Yeah, the channel itself is pretty boring, but the stories that have come out of it are pretty entertaining. Much like how taking part in massive space battles in EVE is actually pretty dull most of the time, but the stories that come out afterward make it seem far more interesting.

The fact that 60,000-100,000 people spamming buttons has resulted in factions, deliberate attempts to undermine successful progressive, deliberate attempts to undermine the people undermining it and so on and is essentially becomming a microcosm of internet culture and a manuscript in collective mentality, is a sociologists wet dream really. This will be featured in social science books not long from now much like the blood plague in World of Warcraft has been.

I'm sorry that you're not able to look at it beyond face value.

No, it has to do with a ridiculous anti-hype-hype were it is cool to hate things because others do as well and search for any reason, no matter how illogical it is.

You mean like, making a big deal out of the fact that someone making a sword for entertainment purposes didn't use the precise measurements?

Freya
02-21-2014, 05:33 AM
This has created the most amusing fan culture. The memes and art work its spawned have cracked me up

Sephy, you edited your post that came before aul with auls quote after your initial post and it confused me. Could you, in the future just make a new post. I was looking for auls quote you replied to and didn't realize it had come after yours until I read down further.

Jessweeee♪
02-21-2014, 05:53 AM
yeah that confused me so much

Fynn
02-21-2014, 06:33 AM
He does that. It's his thing.

And yes, it's the "lore" that makes it all amazing. I mean, it's interesting how people justify things that happen (all the false prophet and helix fossil stuff), even though they know it's all their doing. And it is interesting to see how they progress, despite half the people being trolls and deliberately hindering progress. The way this collective works is actually pretty inspiring. It seems like there are more people out there who actually want to achieve something than those who like doing stuff for the evulz. And if not more, at least their will comes through... Most of the time :cry: (goodbye ABBBBBBK(, JLVWNNOO, X and CCC)

Also, TV Tropes have already added a characters page, YMMV page, Fridge logic page and wild mass guessing. That escalated quickly.

And Seph, chill ;) Nobody's trying to insult you. This thread was lighthearted from the start, so let's keep it that way, OK? We're all friends here, right?

Agent Proto
02-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Oh wow, it's gotten to the point that it's become unwatchable. However, I am quite amazed at the progress the game has taken over a week or so.

Endless
02-22-2014, 12:21 AM
Helix be praised, for AbbaJesus saves. And steamrolls Blue's team.

Freya
02-22-2014, 12:36 AM
It's funnier in real life
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19gb0oaspiht9gif/ku-xlarge.gif

xjqqKAteb3Y

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19gb0oassqbiugif/ku-xlarge.gif

Endless
02-22-2014, 12:42 AM
DF4RUR5JmBg

Agent Proto
02-23-2014, 08:17 PM
After the events of what just happened today, I find this appropriate to post.

https://24.media.tumblr.com/d0a10bddbcdeadebac247a4b059a4b35/tumblr_n1gqet2muZ1rnk2uko1_500.png

Jessweeee♪
02-23-2014, 08:59 PM
dux :<

Pike
02-24-2014, 10:22 AM
this is going to sound really stupid and lame and I will regret posting this but

for the past week or so I have been incredibly sick. doubled over in pain in my bed, can't keep food or drink down. I have not felt this bad in years.

Twitch Plays Pokemon has a lifesaver and a constant. when I'm curled up in bed in intense pain from all the dry heaving, completely drained of energy because of dehydration, worried about what's wrong with me and when it's all going to be over... I can at least pull up the twitch app on my phone and watch TPP. When I watch it, it takes my mind off of the sickness and the pain. It means I actually have something to laugh about, something to follow. A carrot on a stick to keep me going for another few days when all I want to do is be put of my misery.

Like I said this is all super lame and >>>/reddit/ and whatever but I don't even care. Without Twitch Plays Pokemon I think I would be doing a lot worse.

I might be going to the hospital soon. Better believe I'm bringing my phone with that stupid twitch app if so. praise Helix

Shauna
02-24-2014, 04:50 PM
The Helix is risen! All hail!

Shaibana
02-24-2014, 06:10 PM
ow god.. yeahm i follow this too :D
and everyday when i check the game it amazes me that they got any further xD

Praise the Helix!

:o so.. what pokemon does the party currenty gave?
Nidoking, Omanyte (the helix thing), venomoth, oddish, Pidgeotto and... lapras?

what happened to dux?

Agent Proto
02-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Dux has been released. :(

Shaibana
02-24-2014, 06:23 PM

DUX!? D:

Dat Matt
02-24-2014, 11:59 PM
The entire concept of TPP is insane. I last heard there were 65000 people playing on Saturday. I don;t understand how people can lose themselves for hours in it, but a lot of it is really exciting. For example, We managed to tune in when they started fighting Sabrina. How hey got there to start with I have no idea, but when bird Jesus was left and it was 4v1m and he took the hits like a man, and went onto win. That was the best.

TPP is doing weird things to people, especially on reddit, and it's hilarious

Old Manus
02-25-2014, 09:58 AM
> that feel when most of the people playing tpp are probably too young to have played rby in its glory days

Shaibana
02-25-2014, 11:21 AM
a zapdos?? how the hell did they manage to catch a zapdos?

Fynn
02-25-2014, 11:50 AM
I'm guessing with a ball, probably? The fact they manage to catch anything at all baffles me.

Shaibana
02-25-2014, 12:00 PM
yeah, but how did they manage to throw a ball without screwing up first? xD

Psychotic
02-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Wasn't it with a Masterball?

Shaibana
02-25-2014, 12:19 PM
i dont know, but it suprises me that they even got to the masterball at the right moment.. and not accidently wasting it on a random pokemon.

Jinx
02-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Yeah, they used the Masterball.

Ayen
02-25-2014, 05:05 PM
I ended up using the Master Ball on the Zapdos too my first playthrough. I was afraid I'd KO it otherwise.

Elite Lord Sigma
02-26-2014, 03:10 AM
I was actually part of the chat when they were navigating the Power Plant to reach Zapdos. I was impressed that we managed to even reach Zapdos. That we managed to capture it without running away, accidentally using Whirlwind, or wasting the Master Ball beforehand was spectacular.

I have little doubt that Lord Helix, Anarchy Jesus, and Bird Jesus will guide us to victory. We just need to get into Giovanni's lair, but the clever bastard has set up a ledge to attempt to foil us. However, no amount of appealing to the Dome will save him from the Helix's righteous might.

Not only has this been a great way to ease the pain of my semester's first hell week (two biology midterms within 24 hours of each other), I think this will still be talked about for a long time.

Endless
02-26-2014, 05:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/70oeGPX.jpg

Fynn
02-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Digrat's gone?!

Endless
02-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Digrat's gone?!

He was the last to fall during Bloody Sunday.

Fynn
02-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Digrat's gone?!

He was the last to fall during Bloody Sunday.

There were more?! D:

Endless
02-26-2014, 08:53 PM
All the pokemons on that picture (except Eevee the false prophet) were victims of Bloody Sunday.

Pumpkin
02-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Can someone explain what's going on :confused:

Like what is this worship thing, what is the anarchy/democracy thing, what do you mean by Pokemon falling and the false prophet?

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Praise Helix:
One of the first key items picked up was the Helix Fossil in Mt. Moon. Many many many times in battle the item menu is opened by accident and the Helix Fossil is selected. So there's a running joke that we worship the Helix Fossil (and so the Dome fossil is like the antichrist).

False Prophet:
Flareon was dubbed a "False Prophet" because of this event that I summarized in the first post

Trying to get a pokemon that can learn surf. The hivemind opted for picking up an Eevee to evolve into a Vaporeon instead of getting Lapras. Accidentally got a firestone. They tried to dump the unwanted Flareon into the PC and instead they accidentally released Charmeleon and a Ratatta the fans affectionately refer to as "Jay Leno." Oops.

Pokemon referred to as "dead" or "fallen" were accidentally released from the PC while attempting to get another pokemon, similar to this incident. Funny enough we lost a lot more pokemon trying to get Zapdos out but Zapdos doesn't get any bad rep.

Anarchy vs. Democracy:
When the stream first started every command typed into the chat was input into the game. Then we spent over a day and a half in the same two rooms in Team Rocket HQ (the floor mazes that spin you around) trying to get the lift key. Then a democracy mode was implemented. In democracy mode all of the commands entered into chat are tallied for ten seconds, then the most popular choice is input. It now operates on a pendulum where people can enter "anarchy" or "democracy" and whenever it swings to 75% in favor of change it switches modes.

Fynn
02-27-2014, 05:42 AM
Can someone explain what's going on :confused:

Like what is this worship thing, what is the anarchy/democracy thing, what do you mean by Pokemon falling and the false prophet?

Go here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LetsPlay/TwitchPlaysPokemon) and here (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/twitch-plays-pokemon) and you're good to go :)

Shaibana
02-27-2014, 12:12 PM
wow they released that much pokemon? :O

edit: http://askhelixfossil.com/
praise helix!

Pete for President
03-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Just read this article about some of Twitch Plays Pokémon biggest challenges and happenings and I must say I lol'd quite a few times. I love all the "religions" out there.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/22/twitch-plays-pokemon-its-history-highlights-and-bird-jesus/

The creator of this thing must be enjoying this so much.

Jessweeee♪
03-01-2014, 07:03 AM
I'm amazed with how smoothy getting to the Elite Four went. We made it past Ledge Part Two in a little over a minute apparently, in anarchy mode. And it didn't take as long as I thought it would to make it as far as Blue. It could be over by the time I wake up in the morning o:

Endless
03-01-2014, 11:41 AM
It could be over by the time I wake up in the morning o:

It is. Twitch and 20-30s lag did beat Pokemon.

Aulayna
03-01-2014, 01:07 PM
HELIX BE PRAISED

Shaibana
03-01-2014, 04:18 PM
aw man, i just checked TPP
and this is what i see D:

awww i didnt think they would get there so fast!

Pike
03-02-2014, 12:17 AM
This is dumb but I'm so excited for (presumably) the Pokemon Gold stream to start tomorrow

THE ANTICIPATION

SO STOKED

In celebration I've downloaded a ROM of Pokemon Gold and am replaying it for the first time in years. :heart: P.S. I highly recommend VBA-M for all your GB and GBA emulation needs, it runs a lot better for me than VisualBoyAdvance does.

Shaibana
03-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Dont say its dumb if you like it!
if you like it, then it is not dumb.
and dont say dumb just becaus other ppl think its dumb :O

its not dumb!

Dat Matt
03-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Twitch plays pokemon Crystal has started.

Endless
03-02-2014, 12:10 PM
The hero, AJDNNW, is struggling to escape his bedroom. So far, the stairs are winning.

Shaibana
03-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Totodile will be defeated by a Sentret!
they made it into the gras! struggeling with the ledges
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つmust catch Bird Jezus༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Skyblade
03-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Dont say its dumb if you like it!
if you like it, then it is not dumb.
and dont say dumb just becaus other ppl think its dumb :O

its not dumb!

Um, it's definitely possible to enjoy dumb things. There are tons of movies which I watch and enjoy, but which I know are dumb movies.

Shaibana
03-02-2014, 05:32 PM
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つBird Jezus is back ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

EtcherSketcher
03-02-2014, 05:43 PM
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つBird Jezus is back ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

:D

Del Murder
03-02-2014, 06:56 PM
This is perhaps one of the dorkiest things that has ever happened in the history of time.

Ayen
03-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Baby Bird Jesus is going to save the world. You'll see.

Sephiroth
03-02-2014, 07:06 PM
84000 people and nothing happens.

Dat Matt
03-02-2014, 08:11 PM
While the story that came about from TTP Gen 1 was great, gen 2 will spark it's own story which the internet will go crazy for. For example, "Helix be praised" which I have found in the twitch chat about 600 times will fizzle out when we reach the second or third gym because we made it to the ruins of alph and caught the unknown "G" but called him "AAAAAAA" or some nonsense. Or how we'll call "Mom" over and over until she gets sick of it.

I have a feeling that pidgey "Baby bird jesus" wont be a pivotal member of our team this time. People will probably release him.

Skyblade
03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
It was nice to see Pidgeot get some love. Pidgeot was one of my main team in my first run of the original games as well, as was Sandslash.

My current question, is the egg going to hatch before they get out of the Pokémon Center?

Shaibana
03-02-2014, 09:03 PM
It was nice to see Pidgeot get some love. Pidgeot was one of my main team in my first run of the original games as well, as was Sandslash.

Pidgeot has always been a member in my team in every pokemon. its not my favorite pokemonj but i guess i grew an affection for it.
only on X i caught a Talonflame as my bird pokemon ^^

EtcherSketcher
03-02-2014, 10:21 PM

So I was bored all day, all hail baby bird Jesus.

Dalkaen
03-03-2014, 06:40 AM
I've been keeping up with the stream off and on. I really love the community that sort of sprung up overnight with the stream. It's fascinating all the stuff that people have come up with. I've been poring over the TPP subreddit for about a week now.

Agent Proto
03-03-2014, 06:57 AM
It might turn out that Totodile will never evolve if they keep canceling his evolution every goddamn time. xD

Dalkaen
03-03-2014, 07:01 AM
It might turn out that Totodile will never evolve if they keep canceling his evolution every goddamn time. xD
I thought the same thing with Pidgeotto when they played Red, but somehow they eventually persevered.

Skyblade
03-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Twitch plays Pokémon. (http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon)

We have links to the wiki pages and articles, but I didn't see a link to the actual stream. It was getting on my nerves always looking it up. Someone splice it into the OP, please.

Tasura
03-03-2014, 07:20 AM

We have links to the wiki pages and articles, but I didn't see a link to the actual stream. It was getting on my nerves always looking it up. Someone splice it into the OP, please.

Dude, it IS already in the first post. In fact, it's the first word of the first post, it's always been the first word of the first post.

Skyblade
03-03-2014, 09:32 AM

Dude, it IS already in the first post. In fact, it's the first word of the first post, it's always been the first word of the first post.

Really? I wasn't even showing that as a link. Weird.

Shaibana
03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
its funny how some ppl seem to think that everything will run smooth and is controlled, with comments like:

'' omg retards, dont you ppl understand we have to get out of here!?''
and
''Omg u guys are so dumb, this maze isnt even hard''

Dalkaen
03-03-2014, 09:57 PM
I always laugh when I see someone say something like "Alright guys, I'm new here, but if you just let me take control for a second I can get us through this."

Jessweeee♪
03-04-2014, 01:26 AM
Those guys you know are just trying to be funny. It's the people who are like "they shouldn't have made that pokemon forget that attack, that was a bad decision" as if we can control it with such precision that are my favorite :p

Shaibana
03-04-2014, 01:20 PM
ok.. totodile has finaly evolved, i see
and there are new pokemon!
eevee and WWWEEE (so far i havent seen what pokemon he is)

did they release some pokemon again? :l

Agent Proto
03-04-2014, 02:03 PM
WWWEEE is a Koffing. :D

http://31.media.tumblr.com/620357cad7d0524a6f1604f100c8bfc8/tumblr_n1wpy4lB3l1swcfz3o1_500.png

They also released the sentret. :(

Shaibana
03-04-2014, 02:27 PM
did they also release Bird Jezus? D:

Agent Proto
03-04-2014, 02:45 PM
He's at the Day Care.

Shaibana
03-04-2014, 05:00 PM
they/we are here now.. they will never get through this xD haha omg!

for those who dont know this part: there is a secret path wich you have to find out, and everytime you step next to that path you will go back to the start, where he is now

Skyblade
03-05-2014, 12:39 AM
they/we are here now.. they will never get through this xD haha omg!

for those who dont know this part: there is a secret path wich you have to find out, and everytime you step next to that path you will go back to the start, where he is now

I think democracy will be pulled out.

Dalkaen
03-05-2014, 01:28 AM
I like the way anarchy/democracy is implemented in this iteration of TPP. It results in actual game commands the majority of the time instead of constant voting on what game mode people want to play in.

Dat Matt
03-22-2014, 09:57 PM
So conversation here died, but they finished Pokemon Crystal 8 days ago, had a week break and have started on Pokemon Emerald as of Yesterday. Here's what you missed

The Protagonist AJ, is beset by voices that control his actions. He travels across lands without rest, trying to find relief from the voices that engulf him. He travels across the land to find the one the escaped the voices, Red. He aims to escape the torment by defeating Red, and being free from the voices once and for all.

Lazorgator (Feraligator) takes the role of guardian following the death of the Admiral (Sentret) and is charged with raising the young Pokemon (like Togepi). Togepi is shot down in battle, so challenges challenges the gods that would not prevent the death of a child (Lord Helix).

Brian (Pigeot) and Burrito (Espeon) are faced with living in the shadows of the previous game's lore. Brian needs to face the fact that he resembles the messiah (Bird Jesus) and Burrito needs to come to terms with the fact Flareon was know as the false prophet who was working with those who called for democracy and order.

Katie (Dragonite) is the princess of all dragons. The race of dragons is disgraed following their loss from Reds Venomoth, she strives to restore glory to proud dragon race, and become the mother of dragons.

Ace (Raticate) once belonged to joey. Seeing the struggle AJ faced. Joey instructed his top percentile Ratata to follow AJ and aid him in his struggle. He feels left being the weakest of the group, but he can do enough to team out.

Solid Snake (Steelix) is an unlikely companion of the group. At first he mocked the ragtag team in the quests to kill the gods that cursed them with the fate, but he was convinced to join them in their fruitless struggle.

Main theme of the crystal run is that the lore of Gen 1 was always getting in the way of new stories for Gen 2. Lazorgator was hated by everyone as he was too powerful compared to the rest of the team, and people tired to re-hash old lore from the previous run. This in itself became the lore of this run. Lazorgator became the gaurdian of the group and the rest of the team fought to prove themselves. Living in the shadows of the gods, the team became God Slayers using the motto "No Gods, No Kings, Only Mon".

Reaching the end of Mt Silver, AJ and the godslayers had the opportunity had the chance to fight RED and free himself from the voices. A final bought with Red and the team of Gods and Kinds from the Gen 1 lead to victory, and AJ was released from the curse of the voices as RED was before him.

"A" is the may of our female protagonist. Rather than fight against the voices as AJ and Red did, she embraces them. She strives for Anarchy and is mirrored with V from V for vendetta. She is also dubbed a murderer as (may be wrong here) the stream had to be reset several times in the early stages. This lost the progress of previous trainers until a female was chosen. Because of this she stands upon a pile of the dead before her.

Shaibana
03-22-2014, 11:30 PM
yeah.. this is over..
it was hilarious the first playthrough, but i guess we are done now

Pike
03-23-2014, 12:58 AM
I watched the Pokemon Crystal stream on and off but I've kind of lost interest by this point :shobon: I kinda wish they hadn't restarted over and over to get a girl; I popped in long enough to see them get a guy who was simply named "T" and everyone started calling him Mr. T and it was fantastic. RIP Mr. T :cry:

Jinx
03-23-2014, 01:47 AM
I think that they should've waited a month or so between each stream for a cool-down period. Maybe longer.

Dat Matt
03-23-2014, 02:44 AM
The stream itself is super boring, what I find amazing about the Series is what lore that comes from it. Specifically from the sub reddit for the stream at Twitch Plays Pokémon (http://www.reddit.com/r/twitchplayspokemon) .

I followed both Twitch plays Red and Twitch plays Crystal. Everyone followed Twitch Plays Red, because it was a new experience that we hand't seen before. There wasn't much of a cool down between Red and Crystal which was a bad move, so the hype around "Twitch plays" subsided. What was left were people who were generally interested in the stream, and those who followed the associated mediums for the artwork and lore like myself.

To me, twitch plays Pokemon is all about the Artwork and stories that come from the events in game. In that regard, Twitch plays Crystal was FAR better than Twtich plays Red. The entire story behind Twitch plays Crystal was that Twitch plays Red had a massive following that halved as soon as game ended, and that the characters that appeared in Crystal had to live in the shadow of the first stream. For example, their Eevee and Pidgey already had a story from the first playthrough, so were not new. That forced them to create new personas, which they did and they excelled at it.

Twtich plays is not dead. There was a week break between Gen 2 and 3 which I think was sufficient. I'm very excited to see what's coming up in this generation.

Jiro
03-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Yeah, the stream doesn't interest me so much as the stuff that comes out of it. People as a collective are very interesting.

Quindiana Jones
03-27-2014, 03:30 PM
DanRezler pointed out something wonderful about the Twitch Plays Pokemon thing, and that was that even in absolute chaos, humanity trends towards progress. :)

Jolly nice thought, that. Also, PCs are evil.