PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VI Remaster

Ayen
02-20-2014, 09:15 AM
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/Ff6-logo.jpg

Chances are if you find yourself in a discussion about the best Final Fantasy game, VI will be near the top of the list. It rivals both VII and IX in quality for many fans and coming up as number one on a lot of people's lists. So naturally, when we heard there was a re-release coming out for Android and iOS, there was excitement and mass panic.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/FFVIscreen.jpg
Screens like these didn't help matters.

“What have they done?!” said pretty much every single person who grew up with the original on the SNES. The new, more "cartoony" art style for the remaster was met with a firestorm of criticism (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vi/154177-final-fantasy-vi-mobile-port-looks-gross.html), mainly for the rendering of the character sprites and how much they clash with the redrawn backgrounds, character portraits, enemies, and Espers. If that wasn't bad enough the game was released with a variety of bugs, one going so far as to break the entire game before you could finish it (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vi/154177-final-fantasy-vi-mobile-port-looks-gross-6.html#post3365684), almost like the game became self-aware of its current state and performed seppuku. Fortunately, Square Enix has already addressed these issues in a recent update upon release of the iOS port, leaving the art style as the main reason many won't give this remaster a chance.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/NostalgiaGoggles.png
Available at your local shop for 500 gils

There's nothing wrong with taking a trip down memory lane. We here at EoFF and people all around the world have done it. It's a natural part of life to look back on those fond childhood memories and smile, but it's when we let those perceived notions of the past cloud our judgment that the present seems to look increasingly worse and the past increasingly better. So we ask, just this once, that you take off the goggles and judge the following images on their own merits.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/FinalFantasyVIScreenshot.png
Terra ♥

Okay, now this doesn't look so bad. The street, barrels and houses in the background are all drawn well, Terra and the guard sprites are nice, clear, and easy to spot, and the text screen also looks nice with words that are easy to read.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/FinalFantasyVIScreenshot2.png

Here we have the character screen highlighting the members of the party, their stats and our menu selections on the right. Wedge and Biggs have got that, “We're the Empire!” look going for them and Terra appears as... well, a girl brainwashed to serve the Empire. If that was the look they were going for they nailed it. It doesn't make any sense for the rest of the game, but they got that part down. The texture on the menus and the scroll bar are simple. There's nothing wrong with simplicity; some times less is more and more is less, but we weren't expecting anything extraordinary on this part anyway.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/FinalFantasyVIScreenshot3.png

Why does it look like Wedge and Biggs have the breasts that should have been given to Terra? These are obviously meant to be the pecs on their armor, but it looks like they drew them a tad too round to the point where they look like man boobs. The side view is still okay and that monster looks awesome with the attention to detail and the black outlines around it. Is that a pause and fast forward button on the top left and right of the screen alongside a bathroom like image of a running man? The icons down at the bottom on your battle commands at least fit the RPG elements; the rest they probably could have done without. They just stick out too much.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/FinalFantasyVIScreenshot4.png
Kefka in all his glory!

Once again the enemies and backgrounds in the remaster continue to be the best part. Kefka looks great in this image; everything from the details on his face, hair, makeup and clothes do the Jester of Chaos justice and those mountains and trees back there are simply beautiful. The rest on the technical side is exactly how it should be, though the yellow on the blue background just looks ugly. A pale shade of blue would have gone with the background color a lot better, provided it was something that could change along with the background.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/brotherhoodnod/FinalFantasyVIScreenshot5.png
Stop! Esper time!

One of the many summons in the game doing what summons do best: kicking monster booty! The Espers are drawn in the same style as the monsters, and the special effect coming from this one's attack just looks cool, and this is only a still image of it. Imagine the full animation from actually playing the game. We get to see more of the attack commands, too: a basic sword and shield icon for attack and defend, a star with tools and a mug, and the double arrow next row. They all look okay except for the star by tools, but even that isn't as distracting as the icons at the top.

Conclusion: While it may take some adjusting for those who grew up with the original game on the SNES, "Final Fantasy VI Remastered" is hardly a disservice to the game, and despite what you may think of the art, it's still the same game underneath the same story and characters that an entire generation of gamers fell in love with. Should it have been updated in such a way? That's a discussion for another day, but if it manages to draw in a new crowd of gamers who can play it on the go, players who otherwise may not have sat down to try it, then is it really so bad?

Sources
Google Images
Kotaku
EoFF user: Flying Mullet

Spooniest
02-20-2014, 04:54 PM
I was saying

It's kind of impossible to ruin Final Fantasy VI.

It's just too awesome for that.

And as long as you can still Suplex the Train, we should be fine.

The Man
02-20-2014, 06:07 PM
My big problem is still the character sprites. They somehow manage to be less expressive and show less detail than the originals. It looks like someone upscaled them in photoshop and just left it at that.

Most of the other art looks ok, although some of the art styles clash horribly (the small towns on the world map are way too detailed compared to everything else, for example).

Spooniest
02-20-2014, 06:26 PM
The burning question on my mind is have they fixed the "unwinnable game" bug that it shipped with?

Sephiroth
02-20-2014, 06:31 PM
What about the bug where Terra and Celes are not naked?

Mirage
02-20-2014, 07:04 PM
yeah that is a game breaker to me. not buying the game

Big D
02-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Looks good to me - I own the PSX re-release, and I'd probably pick up this one as well if it was released on a convenient platform.

Gamblet
02-20-2014, 09:28 PM
I wish it was just a tad bit darker. Otherwise, it looks quite awesome!
*watches Ramuh animation on Youtube

EDIT: WTF THEY DID TO SABIN'S SPRITE!?

Slothy
02-20-2014, 11:25 PM

You don't like the boobs they added?

Ayen
02-21-2014, 03:11 AM
The burning question on my mind is have they fixed the "unwinnable game" bug that it shipped with?

I believe that's what the patch was for. Not sure about the android version.

Spooniest
02-21-2014, 03:54 AM
Can someone make a "remove man boobs" patch?

Botchmun
02-21-2014, 09:32 AM
teehee.

Fynn
02-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Remember the thread we once had about Sabin's package and it's size? Can we make one about his rack?

NeoCracker
02-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Googling 'Final Fantasy Sabin's Package' turns up that thread on the first page. Seventh option specifically. :p

Mirage
02-21-2014, 03:54 PM
I took my goggles off and the sprites are still poor.

Fynn
02-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Googling 'Final Fantasy Sabin's Package' turns up that thread on the first page. Seventh option specifically. :p

Ah, good times :D

Spooniest
02-22-2014, 03:37 AM
Still say nothing can ruin FF6. Boobs or not, he can suplex the train, at least I hope he can.

I wonder: can Sabin suplex the Phantom Train in this version?

Vyk
02-22-2014, 05:11 AM
It should not look like it was made with RPG Maker...

Though I guess it can be an exercise in what games COULD be with RPG Maker lol With years worth of work

Fynn
02-22-2014, 06:35 AM
You know RPG Maker games were meant to look like FFs?
So them looking like those after a remaster seems unavoidable.

Spooniest
02-22-2014, 09:33 AM
The big point on everyone's mind is, since this is a "remaster," it's kind of like SE saying "this is how we meant it to look the first time."

Just with what little I've seen, I can tell that Nomura (responsible for the spritework on the original ff6) did not draw these characters at all. I wish he had...the spritework definitely isn't up to par.

But if one jaded teenager picks this up and thinks it's awesome enough to be an improvement on sliced bread (the way I did when I picked it up), then it's all worth it. They'll find their way to the original sooner or later.

Fynn
02-22-2014, 10:07 AM
The original sprites were drawn by Kazuko Shibuya and she definitely did work on this remaster. Nomura did the monsters and some character concept artwork.

Spooniest
02-22-2014, 10:41 AM
The original sprites were drawn by Kazuko Shibuya

Oh shoot. I thought I read that it was Nomura.

Kalevala
02-23-2014, 11:07 PM
It's been said already that even a "bad" remaster of such a great game can't be terrible. This looks pretty lacklustre, but the game is too much of a classic to be ruined by a few questionable design choices. Will I buy it? No. Am I particularly incensed? Not really.

Jiro
02-24-2014, 02:39 AM
I watched Sephex stream the SNES version the other night and it was amazing. This game does not look that good. How do we regress?

Vyk
02-24-2014, 06:19 AM
I dunno, the original was so gritty detailed and sharp. This looks blurry and soft and rubbed out. I've never seen an RPG Maker game come close to looking as detailed as late-life Square or Enix SNES games. You shouldn't pull detail out. The story was dark and gritty, and it fit the art design perfectly. Makes me think of comparing these two Gandalfs

52190 Final Fantasy VI - Remastered

52191 Final Fantasy VI - Original

Yes, I'm dropping the glove on this game here. Though I'm with most people, if I sat down and played it, I doubt the art design would completely kill it for me. It'd just throw me for the first while, and then the story and characters would take over and nothing else would matter

Fynn
02-25-2014, 06:49 AM
That Froso looks terrible in the second picture, though.

Spooniest
02-25-2014, 09:54 AM
I think that's Bilbo, actually, but I could be wrong.

Fynn
02-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Whoever he is, he looks stoned as fuck.

Vyk
02-25-2014, 09:55 PM
That's why I chose to compare Gandalfs and not Hobits lol..

maybee
02-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Whoever he is, he looks stoned as smurf.

idk, I think that he looks more depressed like " oh god, why was I animated this way ? " " Help me, now "

):

Fynn
02-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Whoever he is, he looks stoned as smurf.

idk, I think that he looks more depressed like " oh god, why was I animated this way ? " " Help me, now "

):

"KILL ME!!!"

maybee
02-28-2014, 06:07 AM

You don't like the boobs they added?

https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsktttlz2n1qjrc4bo1_500.gif

https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsktttlz2n1qjrc4bo2_500.gif

Ayen
02-28-2014, 02:00 PM
I dunno, the original was so gritty detailed and sharp. This looks blurry and soft and rubbed out. I've never seen an RPG Maker game come close to looking as detailed as late-life Square or Enix SNES games. You shouldn't pull detail out. The story was dark and gritty, and it fit the art design perfectly. Makes me think of comparing these two Gandalfs

52190 Final Fantasy VI - Remastered

52191 Final Fantasy VI - Original

The comparison doesn't really work since in the bottom picture we have a closeup of Gandalf and in the above he's far away and you can barely make his face out. Even then I find myself more drawn to the above.

Furthermore this article is less about comparing the new with the old and judging the new by itself to reassess their view and see if they draw the same conclusion since I have seen on many occasions how nostalgia affects the mind whether we're aware of it or not. And I'm happy to see people have already done just that.